Author Topic: The Official Video Game Thread v. My vision is augmented.  (Read 244936 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Official Video Game Thread v. My vision is augmented.
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2012, 12:13:46 PM »
Wrong thread. I knew I posted that pic somewhere... though I was going crazy.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 09:51:55 PM by MetalJunkie »
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline ehra

« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2012, 12:38:35 PM »
Game of the year.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2012, 12:47:49 PM »
Grabbed CS:GO with my steam gift card.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2012, 12:52:19 PM »
Probably only UMH will care about this, but this has a list of all the new stuff in P4G.

Most notable is that there is now an Adachi S. Link, the ultimate Persona of which is Magatsu Izanagi (Adachi's Persona). There is another new S. Link, a girl named Marie. Somehow their two social links are related to an extra dungeon and changes to the endings.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2012, 01:19:57 PM »
Cool stuff. I'm always down for some new S.links, and the extra dungeon is a welcome addition. I'm most excited for being able to go out at night though. That should make leveling social links a bit easier.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2012, 01:41:40 PM »
Read a bit about the new dungeon on the wiki, saw this:

This dungeon has unique rules that must be followed when inside it:

No yen - yen becomes zero once they ener the dungeon and they get zero yen after battles.
No items from outside - item inventory will be zero and they can only use item gotten from inside the dungeon.
Equipment restriction.
SP Reduction - After every battle the SP of the party will be reduced by half.

Special equipment exists in this dungeon that can be found and used, such as SP restoring equipment. Once one enters the dungeon it is impossible to leave until the boss is defeated.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2012, 01:43:45 PM »
Holy fuck. I wonder what you get for beating it. I always raged hard whenever I'd get the reversed Judgment arcana right before a boss and have to go back and pay the stupid fox to get it back.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2012, 10:17:23 AM »
Some sexy new GTA5 screenshots

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/37991/transport.html

and the last 5 words got me all worked up: More to come this week...
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2012, 10:33:25 AM »
Holy fuck. I wonder what you get for beating it. I always raged hard whenever I'd get the reversed Judgment arcana right before a boss and have to go back and pay the stupid fox to get it back.

The first time I played P4 I got max S. Links, but in order to do that in on the first playthrough you need to do every dungeon (besides Yukiko's of course) in one day. This isn't so bad later in the game, but for Kanji's dungeon it's a fucking nightmare because it's so long and the fox is still only rank 1 or 2 so the SP costs an arm and a leg. I ended up needing to grind up to the appropriate level in Kanji's dungeon, then go back to Yukiko's and farming yen until I could afford to heal myself :lol

...my name is Araragi.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2012, 08:02:44 AM »

Love this picture!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2012, 10:10:57 AM »
Any of you guys remember the game Soul Blazer for SNES? 

Man I loved that game.  I wish it was on the Wii virtual console.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2012, 09:44:47 AM »
GW2 tomorrow!!!!

Offline ehra

« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2012, 07:00:18 PM »
While I stay up to wait for the GW2 servers to come up at 12-3AM I decided to finally install The Witcher and see what the game's like. Turned out I needed to get 4 separate downloads just to get the game fully updated, and one of them I had to get a link through the wiki. Hope the game ends up being decent after all of that.

Kosmo

« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2012, 05:26:00 AM »
It's been a relatively smooth ''launch'' for Guild Wars 2 overall, however there's some serious lag on the interface; like in the chat and sending mail nothing gamebreaking though. But I think they're still ironing out the kinks for Tuesday.

edit: And now the servers have been down for over an hour.  :lol But it was expected.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 07:13:18 AM by Kosmo »

Offline ehra

« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2012, 08:07:30 AM »
I was able to get in and reserve all of my names, so if the servers crash for the rest of the week I'll be ok.

My HoM items are pretty bitchin, though.

Kosmo

« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2012, 08:15:03 AM »
Yeah I got my name too, I was a bit surprised because it was taken instantly in the last stress test.

Poor Arenanet.. It's getting ridiculous on the Facebook page.

Offline ehra

« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2012, 08:44:57 AM »
I was able to get in, woo!

And, yeah, I don't really pay attention to official game forums or things like that. They just turn into constant wining.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2012, 07:54:58 PM »
Been playing most of 'The Dig' today, I'm sure there are some guys here who remember it! Have a lot of memories from this game, as a kid I was so scared. Especially when that one guy comes back alive and then disappears. Also the only game I played together with my dad, probably because I needed help all the time.

Offline ehra

« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2012, 08:45:49 PM »
GW2 was definitely worth the wait. I mean, guys. When someone sends you ingame mail it's delivered to you by a little pigeon that flies by your character.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2012, 02:51:26 AM »
I can't believe the new Madden doesn't have offline co-op in Franchise mode. What a huge letdown and a waste of 65 bucks.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2012, 05:40:17 AM »
Gyno: I played Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne again a few days ago. I finally beat stupid fucking Matador by fusing a bunch of demons that resisted all of his attacks, and I felt like a boss. I admit, I wasn't expecting the little mini-game where you're flying down the tube and collecting coins and shit.  :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2012, 01:30:31 PM »
I've been playing Sleeping Dogs today and I really enjoy it. It's very easy with these kind of games to start comparing them to the GTA-games, but so far I can't complain about it. Hong Kong is a great city to have a game in, and it's great to explore. Also a bit odd with Opeth and Dream Theater on the car radio, but it's quite cool.  :)

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2012, 01:41:21 PM »
I checked the list of songs for that game, what an awful choice for the Trivium one.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2012, 08:42:39 PM »
I've been playing Sleeping Dogs today and I really enjoy it. It's very easy with these kind of games to start comparing them to the GTA-games, but so far I can't complain about it. Hong Kong is a great city to have a game in, and it's great to explore. Also a bit odd with Opeth and Dream Theater on the car radio, but it's quite cool.  :)

Good to hear. I've also heard good things about it, but the price is a bit too steep for me at the moment. It's definitely next on my list though.

Anyways, I was never much of a Counter-Strike fiend, but I did get CS: Global Offensive today and I actually had a good two hours or so of fun with it.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2012, 08:43:55 PM »
Gyno: I played Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne again a few days ago. I finally beat stupid fucking Matador by fusing a bunch of demons that resisted all of his attacks, and I felt like a boss. I admit, I wasn't expecting the little mini-game where you're flying down the tube and collecting coins and shit.  :lol

Nocturne is amazing. It may start a little slow but it gets great, trust me :P

...my name is Araragi.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2012, 08:49:52 PM »
I'm having a lot of fun with CS:GO

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2012, 08:50:06 PM »
Been playing most of 'The Dig' today, I'm sure there are some guys here who remember it! Have a lot of memories from this game, as a kid I was so scared. Especially when that one guy comes back alive and then disappears. Also the only game I played together with my dad, probably because I needed help all the time.

I used to watch my friend play that. I got it from Steam last year in a Lucas pack but didn't get very far. The only point and click I ever finished was Kings Quest 6.

Offline ehra

« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2012, 07:34:03 AM »
Holy crap:

https://kotaku.com/5939164/konami-reveals-metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-it-looks-fxxking-hot

Today in Tokyo, Konami showed off its brand new Fox Engine with a demonstration. The engine's demo ran footage of something called Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes.

The thing is, this is not just a tech demo. This is an upcoming, new, open-world Metal Gear Solid game.

"This announcement is a challenge from Kojima Productions to the world," said Hideo Kojima.

The footage showed off how the engine can handle weather (like rain) as well as clothing textures and lighting.

In the demo, Snake crawled to avoid some searchlights. After a quick stealth kill, he hopped in a jeep and called in a helicopter for evac. The concept behind Ground Zeroes is that this is a "Game without Game Over".

So even if a player is discovered in this stealth title, the game isn't about to end. Instead, it's just getting started. Here, it sounds like Kojima Productions is adding a new spin to the sneaking genre—a genre the developer is a master of—by making more of a game out of the escape itself and allowing players to do things like radio in for support. The demo seemed to indicate that Ground Zeroes wants players to do much more than simply run and hide.

"Sounds like MG, but the scale & atmosphere... Wow," tweeted game localizer Mark MacDonald of 8-4.

The demo was running on a PC at current-gen specs, and its wow-factor seemed to impress those in attendance. It's also been designed with the Xbox 360 and PS3 in mind.

The Fox Engine, however, isn't only for current gen. Konami is positioning the Fox Engine for both Cloud gaming and next gen consoles.

Konami prohibited photography of the demo during this event, but you can see the first images below.

I mean... I thought MGS4 was supposed to be the last one, and now there's at least two new ones in the works? But at least this looks cool I guess.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2012, 10:10:38 AM »
Right, because Konami was gonna let Kojima Productions stop doing that cash cow of a game...

So there's Rising, this Ground Zeroes and the teased MGS5.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2012, 04:46:21 PM »
My friends are trying to convince me to buy GW2 so I can play with them. I'm not sure if I can justify spending the money but it is tempting.

Kosmo

« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2012, 10:33:39 PM »
My friends are trying to convince me to buy GW2 so I can play with them. I'm not sure if I can justify spending the money but it is tempting.
Do it. I'm not sure about the longevity of the game when you hit max level if you don't like PvP but the leveling is so much fun, especially with other people.

Offline ehra

« Reply #101 on: August 31, 2012, 01:09:04 PM »
Wow, City of Heroes is getting shut down by the end of the year. It was easily my favorite MMO out there (although GW2 will probably end up topping it). Plus the studio is getting closed, so whatever next gen MMO project they had in the works is likely gone. I guess the best anyone can hope for is that someone like Cryptic ends up picking some of the members.

I've put a good 5 years into that game, lots of it just coming up with character concepts and costumes. Fuck me.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #102 on: August 31, 2012, 02:00:46 PM »
Is it just me or are MMOs like that getting yanked left and right lately?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline ehra

« Reply #103 on: August 31, 2012, 02:21:13 PM »
MMOs tend to shut down relatively often just because there are so many and not enough of a playerbase to keep them all going, especially the super generic ones. CoH surprised me because it's been around for a while (it's a few months older than WoW) and it seemed to be doing fine. The team was putting out new content every 2-3 months, new powersets every 1-2 months. Then to hear that the entire team got axed when they were also working on a new MMO at the time, I just don't get what was going on. Usually MMOs get shut down after they've been in maintenance mode for awhile and the devs/publisher finally decide to pull the plug, CoH was still putting out its best content.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: August 31, 2012, 05:21:08 PM »
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman