Author Topic: Go On (new Matthew Perry show)  (Read 1421 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Go On (new Matthew Perry show)
« on: August 09, 2012, 01:22:51 PM »
Anyone see the pilot last night?  It was on at the end of the Olympic coverage.  From the trailers, it looked pretty stupid to me.  I had no intention of watching it.  But it popped up at the end of the Olympic coverate last night as I was laying in bed, and I ended up watching it.  I was very pleasantly surprised at how good it was.  Anyone else catch it?  What did you think?

I recommend it and plan to follow it.

MINOR spoilers:

The pro athlete cameos are brilliant.  I really hope they keep that up.  The one with Terrell Owens had me cracking up.  And the fact that Owens would allow self-deprecating humor on such a pretty deep level actually displayed a level of humility I didn't think the guy was capable of. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline GuineaPig

Re: Go On (new Matthew Perry show)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 02:16:04 PM »
It looks like Community, except worse.  It's not offensively bad or anything, but it's not much more than mediocre.  Really, I wish networks would make the first three or so episodes available, because it's really hard to judge a comedy on the basis of the pilot.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 02:22:47 PM by GuineaPig »
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 02:28:35 PM »
Did you watch the pilot, or are you saying it looks bad based on the trailers?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 02:37:26 PM »
I watched the pilot.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 08:11:04 PM »
I love Friends so I want to check it out.  I know this isn't Chandler in this thing, but I want to check it out.  The commercials looked all right enough.

Hopefully this will be on demand because that's how I get the most of my tv nowadays, since my dads and evenings are filled with Dora and Yo Gabba Gabba lately.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 04:39:04 AM »
I caught a few minutes of it, and it was funny.

My only problem is that Perry only really seems to be able to portray one kind of character, and this is it.  Again.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 06:44:11 AM »
I'm guessing the smart aleck and smarmy.  I did like him on Studio 60 which was another good show I got into that got the axe after the first season.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 08:58:33 AM »
My only problem is that Perry only really seems to be able to portray one kind of character, and this is it.  Again.

Yes.  Very true.  But I will say that unlike a lot of sitcoms, there was a VERY good amount of character and story development in that first episode.  So, yeah, Matthew Perry is pretty much playing himself AGAIN.  But he's playing himself within the context of a good plot where his character has some depth rather than just making his fly-by one-liners just for the sake of comic relief.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 12:33:19 AM »
I was actually commenting to my roommate how the trailers squashed any desire of mine to see it.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 05:46:00 AM »
Eh, if you look up the trailers for any great comedy (TV show or movie) they invariably look terrible.