Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. Bring on the new album!  (Read 193602 times)

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
Re: The official Opeth thread v. Lost Control
« Reply #911 on: March 30, 2013, 05:39:14 AM »
Woop!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #912 on: March 30, 2013, 10:01:24 AM »
AWESOME BLOSSOM!!!! Ohhhh I can't wait to hear what they come up with

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #914 on: March 31, 2013, 06:44:11 PM »
I've already tempered my expectations for their next release. Just wait and see.

Interesting that Fredrik is quick to point out this is a new direction from Heritage, but not a "step back". I'd imagine the majority of the fan base would be just fine with a step back to pre-Heritage material.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #915 on: March 31, 2013, 06:50:10 PM »
I'd imagine the majority of the fan base would be just fine with a step back to pre-Heritage material.

Very true.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #916 on: March 31, 2013, 07:14:55 PM »
I really need to start spending several hours a week on youtube in search of new bands. A combination of me getting burnt out on shit I've listened to for years as well as bands that were mainstays for me just declining in general has made me pretty damn musically stagnant.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #917 on: March 31, 2013, 07:15:34 PM »
Whatcha feelin as of late Floyd? I can help you on this frontier B)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #918 on: March 31, 2013, 07:24:03 PM »
I didn't like Heritage much, but somehow its more awesome in 5.1.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #919 on: March 31, 2013, 07:28:06 PM »
I really need to start spending several hours a week on youtube in search of new bands. A combination of me getting burnt out on shit I've listened to for years as well as bands that were mainstays for me just declining in general has made me pretty damn musically stagnant.

I was trying to get you into Floater. :-\

• DT.net Member
« Reply #920 on: March 31, 2013, 07:36:55 PM »
Whatcha feelin as of late Floyd? I can help you on this frontier B)

Virtually nothing, sadly enough. I did find myself enjoy Into Eternity's album, The Scattering of Ashes, quite a bit the other day though. It'd been a while so I'd forgotten how awesome they are.

I guess straightforward, non-gimmicky, thoroughly impressive metal should work well and thanks for the help :tup

They had their moments with me but just didn't hold up unfortunately. I have the feeling that it was bad timing since I probably would've liked 'em pretty well had I discovered them well before all the metal/proggy nerdcore I've spent the majority of my 1999-present listening to. I guess they just sound somewhat lacking after being spoiled by DT/Opeth/Spiral Architect/etc. for so damn long.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #921 on: March 31, 2013, 07:39:34 PM »

They had their moments with me but just didn't hold up unfortunately. I have the feeling that it was bad timing since I probably would've liked 'em pretty well had I discovered them well before all the metal/proggy nerdcore I've spent the majority of my 1999-present listening to. I guess they just sound somewhat lacking after being spoiled by DT/Opeth/Spiral Architect/etc. for so damn long.

Fair enough.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #922 on: March 31, 2013, 07:41:36 PM »
Maybe look into some music that is not metal?

• DT.net Member
« Reply #923 on: March 31, 2013, 07:45:21 PM »
Sure thing. Suggestions?

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #924 on: March 31, 2013, 07:46:39 PM »
Sure thing. Suggestions?
im almost certain you won't like her, but Grimes is fucking awesome.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #925 on: March 31, 2013, 07:48:11 PM »
Seeing as you're a big fan of Opeth, how about some... Abba?

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #927 on: March 31, 2013, 08:52:55 PM »
I can't wait for the new album. I loved Heritage so my expectations are a bit high.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #928 on: March 31, 2013, 08:55:33 PM »
If its going in the hard rock direction Akerfeldt hinted at, consider me lukewarm
Heritage has its moments and I expect the next to be similar, nothing great but something alright every once and awhile

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #929 on: April 01, 2013, 02:55:29 AM »
Even though Heritage isn't at all among my favorite Opeth albums my respect for the band was actually boosted with it's release. I just found it cool that they feel comfortable enough to do exactly what they want with an album and step aside from their usual sound like that.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #930 on: April 01, 2013, 03:10:20 AM »
Heritage is the album that clicked with me. I like Damnation and Watershed, but I always dreamt of a combination of those albums. Heritage was that album, seeing them going back, stylewise, isn't really making my mouth water.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #931 on: April 01, 2013, 06:33:21 AM »
I had a dream last night that I was watching a youtube trailer for the new Opeth album.

It was all smokey and green, and the word "Beast" was formed out of the wisps.  Then you heard some clean guitar parts and a deep, layered, somber, ominous acapella intro from Mikael and company.  Then the smoke blew away, said "coming soon," and then all the members of Opeth were standing in cloaks.  They took off their hoods and fired magical blue arrows from magical blue bows at the screen before the video ended.

You heard it here first.  The new album is called Beast and will feature an evil acapella intro.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #932 on: April 01, 2013, 07:42:01 AM »
I'd love that.  :metal

On a side note, Blackwater park (the album) is growing on me immensely. I used to think it's inferior to Still life and Deliverance because the second half of the album didn't do it for me as much as the first half did, but Dirge for November and The Funeral portrait are finally clicking big time. I'm still having a hard time digesting the title track, we'll see what happens...

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #933 on: April 01, 2013, 07:55:08 AM »
 :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal POET ERLBERRM

(Heritage was awesome, I am excited).
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #934 on: April 01, 2013, 07:58:29 AM »
I'd love that.  :metal

On a side note, Blackwater park (the album) is growing on me immensely. I used to think it's inferior to Still life and Deliverance because the second half of the album didn't do it for me as much as the first half did, but Dirge for November and The Funeral portrait are finally clicking big time. I'm still having a hard time digesting the title track, we'll see what happens...

The title track is awesome, one of two songs so far I really like on the album.

You heard it here first.  The new album is called Beast and will feature an evil acapella intro.

And the cover art will be green smoke and blue bows and arrows?

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #935 on: April 01, 2013, 07:58:43 AM »
Mikael's latest description of the kind of music he wants to make was interesting, so I'm looking forward to hear what they'll come up with.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #936 on: April 01, 2013, 12:13:46 PM »
I had a dream last night that I was watching a youtube trailer for the new Opeth album.

It was all smokey and green, and the word "Beast" was formed out of the wisps.  Then you heard some clean guitar parts and a deep, layered, somber, ominous acapella intro from Mikael and company.  Then the smoke blew away, said "coming soon," and then all the members of Opeth were standing in cloaks.  They took off their hoods and fired magical blue arrows from magical blue bows at the screen before the video ended.

:metalol:

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #937 on: April 01, 2013, 02:09:33 PM »
This is where Akerfeldt actually does that to screw with your head.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

• DT.net Member
« Reply #938 on: April 01, 2013, 09:49:45 PM »

One of the funniest posts I've seen here in a while because it sounds just off kilter enough to be something Mike would orchestrate and it wouldn't surprise me at all given their ability to annoy me through putting "originality"/"expanding their horizons" ahead of shit I'd legitimately enjoy ever since Watershed.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #939 on: April 01, 2013, 09:55:19 PM »
sounds kinda cool to me
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Index

• I Can Float Here Forever
« Reply #940 on: April 01, 2013, 09:59:53 PM »
I know people will probably disagree with me... but I honestly hope they build upon what they started on Heritage. It's my my second favorite Opeth album next to Blackwater Park.  I love the sound they found on that album and the production is just ace!

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #941 on: April 01, 2013, 10:09:02 PM »
I know people will probably disagree with me... but I honestly hope they build upon what they started on Heritage. It's my my second favorite Opeth album next to Blackwater Park.  I love the sound they found on that album and the production is just ace!
Same here. I loved Heritage and it's also my second favorite Opeth album (after Damnation). Maybe it's because I'm more of a prog rock fan versus a metal/prog metal fan but I really liked the sound and atmosphere of Heritage. I also think that the songwriting was very good on it too, which probably puts me in the minority. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #942 on: April 01, 2013, 11:51:23 PM »
I know people will probably disagree with me... but I honestly hope they build upon what they started on Heritage. 

I agree, but with better songwriting.  Don't get me wrong, I think all of the songs on Heritage are good, but most of them are merely that: just good.  Give me that vibe and style, but with great songwriting, and I will eat that shit up with a spoon. :coolio

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #943 on: April 01, 2013, 11:56:13 PM »
I like the magical blue bows  :lol
Honestly, I'd love for something more cohesive, if he refuses to do harsh vocals on new records, then at least be able to justify it. Heritage wandered to much and I felt some bits could have been better if he'd done harsh vocals instead if clean vocals

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #944 on: April 02, 2013, 02:01:18 AM »
I don't think the problem with Heritage was that it sounded different, but that it was new territory for the band at the time, and it takes time to master something. I still think it was good, but an album in that style could be even better. Look at the early albums, few people consider Orchid or Morningrise to be the peak of their sound, but after that they released My Arms, Your Hearse, Still Life and Blackwater Park.