Poll

Do ya?

yes
39 (48.1%)
no
42 (51.9%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Author Topic: Wear a watch?  (Read 3318 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Wear a watch?
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2012, 10:22:43 PM »
Yep. I have one for work and one for everyday wear. I need to wear one, it feels weird without it. I'm with Chino too, it's the only thing on my body that I'll spend money on.

Here's the one I wear everyday
[img[ *snip* [/img]

That's pretty slick.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2012, 10:52:21 PM »
Thank you. Your watch is really slick too. I've always liked watches like that where you can see the gears.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2012, 12:12:59 AM »
Been wearing a watch for many many years. I only take it off when I sleep and/or shower.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2012, 01:00:28 AM »
I don't wear a watch, and have only rarely worn one. The extra bulk bothers me, and I couldn't wear one all the time.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2012, 01:09:32 AM »
Cell phones *are* the 21st Century "pocket watch"...we've come full circle, and rendered the wrist watch obsolete. 

Offline robwebster

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2012, 01:28:40 AM »
Cell phones *are* the 21st Century "pocket watch"...we've come full circle, and rendered the wrist watch obsolete.
That's a really cool way of looking at it!

I'm going to put a chain on my mobile, now.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2012, 01:48:53 AM »
No I do not. Maybe in the future. If I'm gonna wear one I want something nice.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2012, 04:55:08 AM »

I use a pocket watch  :lol

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2012, 07:29:35 AM »
I have worn a watch every single day since I was 10 years old, starting with a Timex and various other digital watches until my parents got me a metal Fossil watch when I was 16. When I turned 21, they gifted me a Seiko Perpetual Calendar which I wore every single day for 9 years until this past birthday, my 30th, on which my entire family gifted me a Breitling Chronomat B01. I wear it everywhere, every day and it will be something I always treasure and hand down to my son when he is older. He will also receive my Seiko when he gets a bit older and wants it.

"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2012, 07:30:05 AM »
Watches are the only thing on my body I'll spend good money on. I have 5 nice watches I rotate regularly. This is the one I like most out of my collection, I love having to wind it. It auto winds itself and will hold for about 35 hours laying still.

That's awesome, what model is that?

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2012, 07:41:57 AM »
I can't imagine not wearing a watch, have had one on my wrist for the last 40 years

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2012, 07:46:19 AM »
I actually really like wearing watches. It's much faster than pulling out a cellphone, turning the screen on, turning it off, and putting it away. It's hard to find watches that good on my though. I have really really small wrists and lots of men's watches can be like twice the size of them.  :lol

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2012, 08:02:52 AM »
I'd like to think that in the future I'll be fortunate enough to be able to afford another luxury watch, like a Jaeger LeCoultre or a Patek Philippe, but I love my Breitling. I have always admired their construction and attention to detail and this model I have is their first with a completely in-house automatic movement. It's definitely a prized possession.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2012, 08:07:22 AM »
Breitling's are very nice :)  I'm wearing a Submariner these day.  A Breitling might be next on my list.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2012, 09:01:03 AM »
Rolexes are awesome watches, though personally I have never been overly fond of the styling. I'll never argue against their movements, though.
Breitlings have ALWAYS held my fascination. I'd be happy if I never wore another brand, to be honest, although the new Transocean Chronograph, which is now also being made with the Breitling 01 movement, would look smashing in rose gold on a black strap for formal occasions. :D

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2012, 09:06:42 AM »
I did for years and years. I have had the same one now for about 6 years (a wide leather band Fossil watch) which my son got for me one Christmas.

I have replaced the band and crystal on it a few times over the years, but these last few months I have stopped wearing it because its in need of a new band again AND I usually use my phone as a clock anyway.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2012, 09:10:36 AM »
everyday

I'm lost if I forget it in the morning I find myself constantly checking my wrist
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2012, 09:42:33 AM »
I'd love to wear a nice watch, but the last time I tried wearing one for a while it was downright painful. Too much ripping out of arm hairs.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2012, 09:42:47 AM »
Watches are the only thing on my body I'll spend good money on. I have 5 nice watches I rotate regularly. This is the one I like most out of my collection, I love having to wind it. It auto winds itself and will hold for about 35 hours laying still.

That's awesome, what model is that?

https://www.amazon.com/Stuhrling-Original-165B-335569-Lifestyles-Winchester/dp/B003LO12AE/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1344526862&sr=8-10&keywords=Stuhrling+automatic

I scored mine on eBay for like $75 or $80 NIB.

Here is what the back looks like

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2012, 09:43:56 AM »
I wear the watch my wife gave me on our wedding day.   

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2012, 09:44:10 AM »
Rolexes are awesome watches, though personally I have never been overly fond of the styling. I'll never argue against their movements, though.
Breitlings have ALWAYS held my fascination. I'd be happy if I never wore another brand, to be honest, although the new Transocean Chronograph, which is now also being made with the Breitling 01 movement, would look smashing in rose gold on a black strap for formal occasions. :D

I actually like the simplicity of my Submariner.  The beauty about Rolex's is the value retention :)  Breitlings do well in that respect too.  I've worn my Sub everyday for the last 10 years, it takes a beating, yet has no scratches on the bezel or crystal :)

Offline efxf

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2012, 12:39:52 PM »
Yep...Still wear my Bulova that I've had for more than a decade.

-Stef

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2012, 12:59:11 PM »
No watch here. Used to have a bracelet on that wrist of significant personal meaning, but I lost it. :'(

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2012, 01:11:05 PM »
No watch here. Used to have a bracelet on that wrist of significant personal meaning, but I lost it. :'(

Funny, in my 20's and early 30's when I was cooking I absolutely needed a watch.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2012, 01:16:04 PM »

Funny, in my 20's and early 30's when I was cooking I absolutely needed a watch.

I have a timer, looks like an iPod kinda, and it can control 16 times at once. For most things, I rely more on touch, taste and smell though. When a noob ask me how long something will take, my patent answer is "when it's done".

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2012, 01:46:02 PM »
I was more Formal catering and cooking aboard ship, so it was always meal times more than "to order" cooking  :biggrin:

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2012, 05:29:24 PM »
Have never enjoyed wearing a watch.  I have very thin wrists and forearms and I could never get used to it sliding up and down half my arm.  Also, I was always annoyed when you tilt your wrist up and the watch pushes into the back of your hand.

Oddly enough, my dad is just the opposite; he has the forearms of a gorilla and has worn a watch for as long as I've known him.

I've always admired nice watches though they aren't my thing

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2012, 08:21:54 PM »
I have 3 Victorinox watches.  I will wear one whenever I leave the house.  I have specific ones for specific scenarios.  One for work, one for casual/active, and one for more formal outings (this one is my wedding gift from my wife.).  All are between 1k and 2k.  I also have a $20 Timex as a back up....that thing is bullet proof and always works!  LOL.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2012, 07:12:25 AM »
Yep...Still wear my Bulova that I've had for more than a decade.

-Stef

I have the same watch
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2012, 09:22:35 AM »
I wear a watch when I leave the house.
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2012, 12:18:48 PM »
I like wearing them but I don't always do it. Sometimes it's because I'm going to work and I hate typing while wearing a watch (many times I've left it in the desk and gone home without it, thank god my colleagues know me and leave it there) and sometimes it's because I'm just going out for some quick errands and I just forget to put it on. However when I'm going out or dressing nice I like to wear one.

I currently have three watches: one very old one (16 years) that I never wear anymore because it's too small, a cheap but nice looking one that I got recently and one that my wife gave me for our first anniversary 10 years ago (oh god how time passes). I want to hunt one of these beauties now, we'll see if I pull the trigger, it's a lot of money and they're hard to find here in Spain:

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2012, 12:30:04 PM »
I used to wear a calculator watch in middle school.

Then I realized it was a god damn calculator watch.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2012, 12:51:42 PM »
I used to wear a calculator watch in middle school.

Then I realized it was a god damn calculator watch.

geek..... ;D