Author Topic: Backpack for College  (Read 2119 times)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Backpack for College
« on: August 09, 2012, 12:16:35 AM »
I need to get a backpack for college. I am really looking at The North Face for a backpack as those are great and have used them for awhile. However, I am open to anything and would like some suggestions (especially from those now in college.)

Anyone is free to suggest though!

Thanks guys
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Backpack for College
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 12:30:09 AM »
Unless you have a long commute so that you have to bring all of your shit with you, it really doesn't matter. In any given lecture/discussion you're going to need at most a textbook, notebook, and some printed out notes, and in most cases you'll only need a notebook.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 12:39:53 AM »
All my classes are in a row with no time to go back to my dorm. Each day I have three classes and an average of 2 textbooks per class which are required each day, or so the professors have recommended. Sadly, I will need one
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 12:47:15 AM »
I used to bring so many books with me to my classes because I lived a mile away from campus so I couldn't just walk home after every class.  I still use my Easport bookbag, I don't think it matters so much what brand, just what suits you well.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 12:47:46 AM »
They require you bring textbooks to class?

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 12:49:04 AM »
Yeah, they said it's highly recommended and one of the classes is discussions on the text that is assigned so it's best to bring it for reference.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 12:51:20 AM »
Yeah, they said it's highly recommended and one of the classes is discussions on the text that is assigned so it's best to bring it for reference.

That was a fairly common practice when I was in college too. You can kinda half-ass it here and there and, in some classes, may be able to get away with it a lot but in the end it can cause way more inconvenience than simply murking your lumbar region by carrying an extra 5-10 lbs.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 12:53:16 AM »
Yeah. My brother is a junior this year in college and says that he has always been thankful to have the textbook with him
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 12:56:24 AM »
I have literally, in four years of college, never had a class that required you bring a textbook. I mean, you'll get the occasional class that wants you to bring the assigned reading, but those aren't textbooks - just bound readers, printed material, or regular paperback books. Nothing that's a burden to carry.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 01:00:16 AM »
I majored in computer engineering so the calc and physics classes always had huge textbooks.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 01:04:44 AM »
I have literally, in four years of college, never had a class that required you bring a textbook. I mean, you'll get the occasional class that wants you to bring the assigned reading, but those aren't textbooks - just bound readers, printed material, or regular paperback books. Nothing that's a burden to carry.

Yes, but not everyone's professors are the same. It's really not helpful to him to restate your own personal experiences when his may differ since he's trying to make sure his purchase is one that'll serve his needs best.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 01:06:16 AM »
It's really no problem, each one seems to be different because a few of my friends have needed backpacks and others haven't. Different supplies for different colleges, I guess.

I don't want to cause any problems  :P
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 01:13:54 AM »

Yes, but not everyone's professors are the same. It's really not helpful to him to restate your own personal experiences when his may differ since he's trying to make sure his purchase is one that'll serve his needs best.

Well, I'm more just thinking that it's one of those things that colleges tell you before you start that turn out to be complete BS. I mean, I was told I'd be spending something like 50 hours a week doing work outside of class when I started :lol I don't think I could have done that much work my freshman year even if I had wanted to.

But if you need a good backpack, north face bags are great from everything I know. If you don't care about looks, a military surplus store might have a good pack as well.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 01:23:01 AM »

Well, I'm more just thinking that it's one of those things that colleges tell you before you start that turn out to be complete BS. I mean, I was told I'd be spending something like 50 hours a week doing work outside of class when I started :lol I don't think I could have done that much work my freshman year even if I had wanted to.

Yea, usually each college determines how many hours a week you need to work per credit, but I don't think I ever put that amount of hours per credit while I was in college.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 01:33:05 AM »

But if you need a good backpack, north face bags are great from everything I know. If you don't care about looks, a military surplus store might have a good pack as well.

I definitely agree with that. Maybe it's the "better safe than sorry" approach in that they'd rather folks be pleasantly surprised that they're capable of getting their shit done in a shorter time with less lugging of books involved than suddenly thinking "Ah shit! I didn't bring my chemistry book and failed that open-book test!"

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 01:34:23 AM »
It very well could turn out to be BS, but yeah, I guess I just want to be prepared and like I said, I don't have time to go back to my dorm after class.

God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 03:04:31 AM »
Dakine has some great ones.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 06:30:42 AM »
I'd recommend mine, but I don't know what brand it is since i got it free at a conference.  I use it for hauling my laptop and papers around.

In lecture halls, you won't even have room to have out a text book and a notebook.  The only classes where we actually needed the book in class were English classes and Calculus.  They are mostly for your reference outside of class.

Not that it matters to you, but will be telling my students they don't have to bring the textbook to class unless I tell them ahead of time.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 01:14:42 PM »
I majored in computer engineering so the calc and physics classes always had huge textbooks.

This however I was luckily employed at my university while I was there so I had an awesome badge for my car that let me park almost anywhere on campus. I'd grab a book, go to my car switch out books and be on my way so I never used a backpack.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2012, 01:30:46 PM »
Not in college, but I can add this:  Last year about this time, I bought one from Costco because I neede an roomy but inexpensive one to carry books and other stuff.  We use it probably 3 times a week, and it still looks and feel brand new.  No signs of wear whatsoever.  So it is VERY durable, roomy, has a padded laptop/tablet divider in the main pocket, inexpensive, and comfortable.  I saw that they are carrying the same exact backpack again this year, and just bought two more (kids needed them). 

The problem is, since it's Costco, you never know what they'll have in stock.  At the one here that I went to, they only had literally 5 or 6 left as of yesterday afternoon.  I tried looking online, but it's not showing up on their online site, so I guess it's a store-only item.  I believe the mfr. is High Sierra.  $17.99.  bosk1 recommends.

EDIT:  Here it is (but a lot more expensive than at Costco):  https://www.amazon.com/High-Sierra-624594-Cyclone-Pack/dp/B008SDD800/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1344540827&sr=1-1&keywords=high+sierra+cyclone+backpack

Another on Ebay that sold for $16.99:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Sierra-Cyclone-Backpack-Fast-Shipping-/330771748484
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 01:39:25 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2012, 05:32:56 PM »
As an alternative suggestion, these are outstanding, but a bit hard to find:

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 05:34:23 PM »
See if any of your books are available for Kindle. If they are, buy a kindle, and just bring that with a laptop.
fanticide.bandcamp.com