Author Topic: The November Rain drum fills  (Read 5224 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
The November Rain drum fills
« on: August 06, 2012, 11:17:25 PM »
In case anyone didn't see the twitter "war" behind Mike Portnoy and GNR drummer Matt Sorum over the Guns N' Roses song November Rain, it went like this:

Portnoy: "November Rain is an all-time classic song...but why on Earth did Matt Sorum play the SAME EXACT fill every 4 bars? (23 times to be exact!)"
Sorum: "That fill was Axls idea As a musical phrase that carried on through the trilogy , Don't Cry and Estranged. Those albums UYI 1 n 2 Have sold 20 million combined."
Sorum: "Remember kids drumming isn't all about fancy drum fills and splash cymbals ask Charlie Watts, Ringo and Phil Rudd."
Portnoy: "Agree 1000%!! Ringo is one of my greatest heroes!! No disrespect meant bro...just making an observation of that song. Peace! : )"

Did anyone else never even realize that those drum fills were the same over and over until now? :lol 

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The November Rain drum fills
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 11:20:20 PM »
I noticed he did them over and over in November Rain, but not the other two songs.

Not that I care. I mean, it's GnR, I don't listen for the drumming.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 11:21:46 PM »
I have no problem with it. MANY top 40 rock songs over the years have consisted of guitar and/or bass parts that have little-to-no variation whatsoever. Just cuz drums are generally more varied by default is no reason to scoff at one isolated piece.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 11:22:00 PM »
he probably knew, just now said what he was thinking all this time and Sorum replied why.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 11:23:04 PM »
Does Sorum know MP? He sounded kind of irritated in a way showing he doesn't know MP personally.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 11:30:44 PM by SystematicThought »
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 11:34:03 PM »
Never noticed before, because this:
Not that I care. I mean, it's GnR, I don't listen for the drumming.

But now I can't unhear it. :lol
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 01:34:49 AM »
He's acting as if Rudd, Ringo, and Watts are like world-class drummers.

Also, "look at us we sell albums lolololo". This guy kinda seems like a jackass to me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 01:40:24 AM »
That counts as a "war"?

Anyway, I'd noticed it in November Rain, although I didn't realize it was repeated that often. It never really stood out though, since it's a ballad, so I don't expect over the top drums. I don't listen to Don't Cry and Estranged, so I didn't know it was intentionally reused there.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 03:20:19 AM »
He's acting as if Rudd, Ringo, and Watts are like world-class drummers.

I've always liked Ringo's style.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 03:56:50 AM »
"just making an observation of that song. Peace!"

Lol. If another drummer said something about MP doing the same snare-kick fills in almost every song he would probably feel disrespected, i guess he didn't expect an answer to his tweet  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 06:57:41 AM »
Matt Sorum played like a beast on those two albums.

I didn't realize those three songs formed a trilogy. I generally skip November Rain and Don't cry anyway.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 07:18:44 AM »
he was real quick to point out how much the album sold. and yes playing the same fill 23 times is stupid

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
"just making an observation of that song. Peace!"

Lol. If another drummer said something about MP doing the same snare-kick fills in almost every song he would probably feel disrespected, i guess he didn't expect an answer to his tweet  :lol

Pretty much, all-around.

he was real quick to point out how much the album sold. and yes playing the same fill 23 times is stupid

I don't think so in this case.  Don't get me wrong, I only like a handful of GNR songs, and think Rose is the biggest asshole in rock history (can anyone really argue otherwise?), but that fill is like a riff that is played over and over; the repetitiveness works while everything else around builds.  It's like the one constant that the rest of the song builds around. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 09:02:28 AM »

I don't think so in this case.  Don't get me wrong, I only like a handful of GNR songs, and think Rose is the biggest asshole in rock history (can anyone really argue otherwise?), but that fill is like a riff that is played over and over; the repetitiveness works while everything else around builds.  It's like the one constant that the rest of the song builds around. 

Yeah...I pretty much agree.  HOWEVER, on the other side of the argument, I have to say this:  Now that I know it's repeated that often and know the reason, I can defintely say "yeah, I see what Axl was going for, and it pretty much works now that you mention it."  But the problem is, if you have to put that much thought into figuring out why something in a song should work, it probably doesn't work as well as it was intended to.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 09:21:47 AM »
Playing it "exactly the same" isn't true. It's modified a lot of times, either truncated, or the timing is changed.
Also, damn, glass house, complaining about reusing drum fills.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Index

• I Can Float Here Forever
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 09:34:46 AM »
Does Sorum know MP? He sounded kind of irritated in a way showing he doesn't know MP personally.

I think he knows of him, maybe not personally.

Sorum: "Remember kids drumming isn't all about fancy drum fills and splash cymbals ask Charlie Watts, Ringo and Phil Rudd."
In reference to MP's playing style + kit.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 10:12:35 AM »
As a drummer, i remember being very annoyed when that song was on the radio and the fill was repeated over and over.  I don't think Sorum had much say though.  He was a hired hand.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 10:14:38 AM »
Speaking of Sorum/GNR, does anyone remember, during the G'N'R drummer replacement process, hearing rumors that Axl had approached Neil Peart?   

Offline Adami

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 10:31:27 AM »
Speaking of Sorum/GNR, does anyone remember, during the G'N'R drummer replacement process, hearing rumors that Axl had approached Neil Peart?

I would have loved to have seen this. If for no other reason than to actually see Neil laughing hysterically in Axl's face.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 10:33:51 AM »
 ;D  I think it was probably more like a polite "No, thank you," with the bubble over Peart's head reading "I am no one's hired bitch."

Offline Adami

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 10:36:44 AM »
Nah I'd rather imagine it my way.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 11:33:39 AM »
Du-baff duuu-dudu-duuu Bishhhhhhh

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 11:59:00 AM »
ive heard portnoy bring this up a long time ago...calling it the "beating a dead horse fill"

in the november rain making of video, they talk about the drum fills...sorum mentions a specific drummer that axl told him to emulate (so to speak). i cant recall who it was, however.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2012, 12:09:33 PM »
Not sure if Nigel Olson is who you are talking about but this is part of the Blabbermouth article regarding this subject:

In a 2009 interview with Music Radar, Sorum spoke in more detail about his drumming approach on "November Rain", explaining, "The track I get the most amount of grief for, from drummers, is 'November Rain'. The reason I did that tom fill so many times is I felt it was a musical part. A lot of drummers were like, 'Why'd you play the same fill so much?!'

"Me and Axl were sitting in the studio late one night, having a couple of drinks and listening to Elton John, a song called 'Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me'.

"Axl goes, 'Do you hear that?' I'm like, 'Yeah, I love Nigel Olson, man'. He says, 'Do that on the song we're going to record tomorrow!' We'd rehearsed it but I didn't have all the fills and stuff, it was just a groove. In the end of 'November Rain', I get into that whole marching band trip."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 12:19:42 PM »
Here's kind of my "final take" on the issue:  We know from Sorum performance elsewhere that he has the chops to play more than a basic tom fill.  And we know from his current statements that they were intentionally going for a particular thing by repeating slight variations of the very same, simple fill throughout the song.  IMO, the results are a mixed bag.  But, hey, when you try to make a particular artistic statement in a song, sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't.  That's life.  This mostly worked, but also garnered a lot of criticism.  Them's the breaks.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2012, 01:40:28 PM »
The thing that rather bugs me here is the distortion of the facts to make the accusation. Sorum doesn't play it every 4 bars, and he doesn't play it exactly the same way all the time.
Besides, the beauty of the song is the rather spartan instrumentation anyway. Judging from MP's drumming on songs that call for restraint, I would say Sorum served the song better than MP mostly likely would have, given the same opportunity.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2012, 01:42:56 PM »
Sorum doesn't play it every 4 bars, and he doesn't play it exactly the same way all the time.
rumborak

thats what i was thinking

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012, 01:57:02 PM »
Sorum doesn't play it every 4 bars

I know.  Use of superlatives is always wrong.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 02:30:39 PM »

:lol  took me a few mins

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 07:52:35 PM »

I love you.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2012, 08:11:18 PM »

I think you mean it's som.............oh you!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2012, 08:37:15 PM »
My favorite song that Matt Sorum plays on is the "Pick Up The Pieces" cover. He kicks ass on that.