Author Topic: Portishead  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Xanthul

Portishead
« on: August 05, 2012, 05:22:26 AM »
So yesterday I bought the Live in Roseland DVD and I came here to comment how amazing it is... But there is no Portishead thread  :huh:

I've only listened to Dummy (5/5) and Portishead (4,5/5) so far but i'm deeply in love with these guys, I hope Third will be equally as good.

Let's comment everything P'head in here
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 06:01:06 AM by Xanthul »

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Portishead
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 05:54:04 AM »
So yesterday I bought the Live in Roseland DVD and I came here to comment how amazing it is... But there is no Portishead thread  :huh:

I've only listened to Dummy (5/5) and Portishead (4,5/5) so far but i'm deeply in love with this guys, I hope Third will be equally as good.

Let's comment everything P'head in here

My father is a huge Portishead fan, and Third is his favourite album of all time, so I think you're in for a treat. I'm not too big on them, though, might give them another listen soon...
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 07:12:29 AM »
Went and listened to Dummy about a week ago.

It is amazing. It's groovy, yet dark and atmospheric.  Love it.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 12:53:41 PM »
I only have Dummy, but it's mindblowing.

Offline TVC 15

• I was bored before I even began
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 01:35:34 PM »
It's even more amazing to hear the songs live.  Saw them on their most recent US tour.  All beats and guitars are set to assault the senses big time.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 03:13:52 PM »
Yah, from the videos I've seen they're incredible live, they sound almost exactly like the albums but with that extra energy a live setting provides. That Roseland concert looks like an amazing experience.

BTW, thanks to kàri for having introduced me to this band in my roulette  :tup

Offline TVC 15

• I was bored before I even began
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 11:36:45 PM »
I would recommend checking out Geoff Barrow's other band Beak> while you're getting into it.  The influences dovetails from what you've heard thus far on Portishead's 3.  There's a very pronounced kraut-rock influence to their songs, at least on the first album, entitled ">".  They just released their second album entitled ">>".