Author Topic: Fan Club Status?  (Read 12627 times)

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
Fan Club Status?
« on: August 03, 2012, 10:21:39 PM »
I've recently become a fan and I want to know: Dream Theater has obviously released several Fan-club CD's over the years. What's the deal with the American branch of the Fan-club? I can't seem to find it anywhere.  :huh:
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: Fan Club Status?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 10:24:44 PM »
That's because the English-speaking branch isn't in America, it's in England - Voices UK.  Don't know their activity status these days though.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 10:26:02 PM »
DT actually used to have several fan clubs around the world. I think the UK Voices one is the only one remaining, right?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 10:27:20 PM »
I thought Ytsejammers Israel was still active... ?

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 10:36:21 PM »
HOME Dream Theater Turkey Fan Club was very active as well. But now it seems inactive.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 10:39:56 PM »
Weren't there French and Italian fan clubs too?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 11:03:59 PM »
Voices UK is the "official" english speaking fan club.

It's pretty much dead. not much going on over there... at least since the last time I logged in to the site.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 11:05:14 PM »
We should start the official North American fanclub! And by 'we' I mean people who live in North America.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 11:07:06 PM »
Voices UK is the "official" english speaking fan club.

It's pretty much dead. not much going on over there... at least since the last time I logged in to the site.

That's kinda sad... :sad:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 11:36:08 PM »
We should start the official North American fanclub! And by 'we' I mean people who live in North America.

I'd love this, and if anyone's serious about it I'd help with it here and there, however I could.

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 11:43:37 PM »
I'd love this, and if anyone's serious about it I'd help with it here and there, however I could.

Honestly, I'd be totally up for it, but I haven't the slightest clue of how to actually start a fanclub. I mean, website aside, what would we need? I don't even know where to begin.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 05:20:22 AM »

The Italian FC died in 2007/2008, together with one of its founding members. I believe that there's still some degree of activity beneath the surface, but officially, Italian Dreamers closed in 2007.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 12:02:07 PM »
The Italian FC died in 2007/2008, together with one of its founding members. I believe that there's still some degree of activity beneath the surface, but officially, Italian Dreamers closed in 2007.

Haaa!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 12:15:52 PM »
It's funny, once they became more popular their fan clubs started dwindling.
One factor might also have been Ytsejam Records. Fan clubs used to compile obscure recordings and create CDs out of them. Now with YouTube that's all pretty irrelevant. And magazines are kinda pointless too, now that everything is on the web.

rumborak

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 12:29:04 PM »
One factor might also have been Ytsejam Records. Fan clubs used to compile obscure recordings and create CDs out of them. Now with YouTube that's all pretty irrelevant. And magazines are kinda pointless too, now that everything is on the web.

rumborak

Well, internet in general is a factor too. I mean, back in the 90's, forums weren't such a huge thing (as far as I know), and yes because they were less popular, all these DT fans needed to find a way to connect with one another and stuff. But now, I mean, look at this site. Just because it's not labeled as a "fan club" doesn't mean it's not one. You need to sign up, get a membership, and once you do, you discuss all things Dream Theater with people here. Let's face it, this in itself is pretty much a fanclub, minus the perks.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2012, 01:23:57 PM »

I was gonna suggest that, it's a damn shame there isn't an official one here.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2012, 03:08:22 PM »

Ah, okay - that's what I figured.  I just couldn't remember the timeline for their separate demises.

Offline KISS 76

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2012, 05:25:30 PM »
Metallica still has an awesome fan club... I think that if DT really cared & put more effort into it then they could have one just as nice.
It should be based in North America & put out some fanzines & Fan Club exclusives.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »

rumborak

Yeah, I thought this as a reason too. There's just nothing special a fanclub can really do when everything's online. I don't even think Voices UK has had a fanclub CD/DVD for a year or two now actually. The last one I remember is that Systematic Chaos era live show with really bad sound quality.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2012, 08:43:43 PM »
Isn't this forum pretty much a fan club without all the goodies?

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 09:55:41 PM »
Isn't this forum pretty much a fan club without all the goodies?

That's what I said. Still, I wouldn't mind some goodies, haha.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2012, 02:24:44 AM »
There's just nothing special a fanclub can really do when everything's online.

Not entirely true - as was pointed out, Metallica has a great fan club and they provide some exclusive things for their fans.

I think the big reason why we're seeing the failing of DT fan clubs is very simple: the people who have been doing the fan clubs have been doing it out of their own time and money (which I don't believe is the case with Metallica's fan club). They are not being funded by the band or it's management. They still have real lives, which means they have other responsibilities to take care of (family, bills, etc.) It's easier to run something like this when you're younger, single and have a lot more time on your hands. But as life continues, it becomes a bigger challenge with more responsibilities and changing priorities.

Personally, I think that for a fan club to succeed, the band really needs to hire someone (or even a small staff of people) full-time and give them the funding they need to run it properly - preferably someone who is mature, a longtime fan of the band, and knows them well; most definitely NOT someone connected to a record label. Until then, the fan clubs will disappear after a number of years, just as has happened before.

And I might add that I'm not trying to take anything away from the fan clubs that have existed - by and large they did some amazing things over the years, and my hat off to them for putting in the time and effort - I treasure all of my old fanzines and have no desire to ever part with them. And I'm happy to say that I have been able to contribute in a minor way to some of them. I certainly don't fault them for getting weighed down with day-to-day life that makes it next to impossible to keep things going. The only thing I can fault them for is biting off more than they chew, if they have continued accepting subscriptions but not really providing anything worthwhile.

It's certainly the reason why I'd never consider trying to start a fan club myself - I don't have the time or money to do so. And I'd recommend anyone seriously considering trying to start a fan club to really think things over before taking it on - there's a lot more to it than you probably imagine, and the majority of it isn't the fun stuff of getting to interview band members, taking photos at shows, etc.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2012, 03:40:12 AM »
HOME is pretty much dead. (I'm from turkey)

Offline KISS 76

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2012, 04:57:15 AM »
There's just nothing special a fanclub can really do when everything's online.

Not entirely true - as was pointed out, Metallica has a great fan club and they provide some exclusive things for their fans.

I think the big reason why we're seeing the failing of DT fan clubs is very simple: the people who have been doing the fan clubs have been doing it out of their own time and money (which I don't believe is the case with Metallica's fan club). They are not being funded by the band or it's management. They still have real lives, which means they have other responsibilities to take care of (family, bills, etc.) It's easier to run something like this when you're younger, single and have a lot more time on your hands. But as life continues, it becomes a bigger challenge with more responsibilities and changing priorities.

Personally, I think that for a fan club to succeed, the band really needs to hire someone (or even a small staff of people) full-time and give them the funding they need to run it properly - preferably someone who is mature, a longtime fan of the band, and knows them well; most definitely NOT someone connected to a record label. Until then, the fan clubs will disappear after a number of years, just as has happened before.

And I might add that I'm not trying to take anything away from the fan clubs that have existed - by and large they did some amazing things over the years, and my hat off to them for putting in the time and effort - I treasure all of my old fanzines and have no desire to ever part with them. And I'm happy to say that I have been able to contribute in a minor way to some of them. I certainly don't fault them for getting weighed down with day-to-day life that makes it next to impossible to keep things going. The only thing I can fault them for is biting off more than they chew, if they have continued accepting subscriptions but not really providing anything worthwhile.

It's certainly the reason why I'd never consider trying to start a fan club myself - I don't have the time or money to do so. And I'd recommend anyone seriously considering trying to start a fan club to really think things over before taking it on - there's a lot more to it than you probably imagine, and the majority of it isn't the fun stuff of getting to interview band members, taking photos at shows, etc.

I nominate Setlist Scotty as #1 full time DT paid fan club president...
I agree. Metallica have showed that these things are possible. One of the biggest draws to the fan clubs was the yearly exclusive CD or DVD. If the band provides a soundboard audio or some behind the scenes DVD the fans would continue to renew their membership. Metallica even have their official bootleg releases that do well for them.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2012, 03:25:45 PM »
So apparently the Voices.UK fanclub is dissolving into a free forum with a section exclusive to those who donate. Fanzines are dead. I'm kinda annoyed that I paid the fee to join (which is good for 4 publications worth) and only got one before they said fuck it.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2012, 05:10:33 PM »
I would be happy to be involved with running a North American fan club.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2012, 07:07:20 PM »
@ the comparison with Metallica: They are a different ballpark than DT. They can afford to have a full-time fanzine editor.

Not actually meaning this disparagingly, but MP also pretty much killed fan clubs. He *was* essentially a fan club, with the YJR releases, the Christmas presents, why would you want a fanzine when you can get it straight from the Man himself?

rumborak

Offline MetropolisWatches

• I&W/Awake/SFAM/6 Degrees
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2012, 07:55:46 PM »
I would be happy to be involved with running a North American fan club.

Agreed. Sign me up as well.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2012, 08:29:45 PM »
Yea..I'd be interested in helping start a fan club.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2012, 10:14:02 PM »
I agree. Metallica have showed that these things are possible. One of the biggest draws to the fan clubs was the yearly exclusive CD or DVD. If the band provides a soundboard audio or some behind the scenes DVD the fans would continue to renew their membership. Metallica even have their official bootleg releases that do well for them.

Ha! I had a funny feeling someone was going to post something to that effect, and while I appreciate the thought, I would pass even if the band were to approach me to do it. I've got too much going on with my life to take that on. However, there is someone else I know personally that is a well-known DT fan that I think would be perfect to take on the role if the band were to consider it. I'm sure the vast majority of you know who he is too (hint: it ain't bosk).

So apparently the Voices.UK fanclub is dissolving into a free forum with a section exclusive to those who donate. Fanzines are dead. I'm kinda annoyed that I paid the fee to join (which is good for 4 publications worth) and only got one before they said fuck it.

Sorry to hear that - this is exactly the kind of "fault" I was making reference to. Not sure if you can, but personally I'd ask for a refund if you're not happy with what happened.

@ the comparison with Metallica: They are a different ballpark than DT. They can afford to have a full-time fanzine editor.

You do have a point, but I think if you were to pare down the scale of what Metallica does to something more appropriate for the scale of DT's fanbase, I'm sure the band could still afford to have someone do it for them. If nothing else, bump up the price of the meet 'n' greets by a little, include it in the contract with the record label or in some other way make it so that the band isn't paying that much. And make sure the price of membership is enough to cover all the costs so that it can be self-sufficient.

Also don't forget the possibility of it being an international fan club instead of a regional one, which would open it up to a wider fanbase too (tho likely English-speaking, since it would be difficult to provide content like fanzines, websites, etc. in multiple languages).

Not actually meaning this disparagingly, but MP also pretty much killed fan clubs. He *was* essentially a fan club, with the YJR releases, the Christmas presents, why would you want a fanzine when you can get it straight from the Man himself?

With MP being as active as he is on Twitter these days (including his spontaneous Twitter Q&As), you might have a point. But considering the fact that MP is no longer in the band, I fail to see what your point is. Even when he was in the band, the interviews he did for the fanzines were typically far more in depth than you'd read in most magazines or websites, and there was still plenty to talk about that he didn't respond to online or at least in depth. And with the rest of the guys in the band, aside from the initial burst of press that they all did around the time that ADToE was released, there aren't that many new interviews that they've done, and certainly not including the details diehard fans would want to know. Don't forget too that not every fan is online reading every little DT tidbit that most of us on here do. So I still think there's plenty of potential for there to be a fan club, complete with a fanzine (as long as it's put out in a timely manner; not a year after said interviews were done), contests, maybe some sort of exclusive releases (look at Neal Morse and all the exclusive releases he puts out for his fan club, as another example), etc.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2012, 02:03:24 AM »

Ha! I had a funny feeling someone was going to post something to that effect, and while I appreciate the thought, I would pass even if the band were to approach me to do it. I've got too much going on with my life to take that on. However, there is someone else I know personally that is a well-known DT fan that I think would be perfect to take on the role if the band were to consider it. I'm sure the vast majority of you know who he is too (hint: it ain't bosk).
I might just have not woken up yet, but I think I might be in the tiny minority who doesn't have a clue. Going by the hint, possibly Weymolith..?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2012, 02:10:39 AM »

I might just have not woken up yet, but I think I might be in the tiny minority who doesn't have a clue. Going by the hint, possibly Weymolith..?

Who's that?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2012, 02:12:56 AM »
Prior admin/mod at MP.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2012, 02:14:22 AM »

He did more than that. Geez, do you even know who the guy is?  :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2012, 02:15:49 AM »

He did more than that. Geez, do you even know who the guy is?  :biggrin:

Nope.