Author Topic: BanksD's Top 50 Albums V. It's over  (Read 24991 times)

Offline BanksD

Re: BanksD's Top 50 Albums v. These write ups are terrible
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2012, 08:12:01 PM »
#26. Raunchy – A Discord Electric (2010)

This melodeath album may be really “poppy” in nature…but damn I can always count on it to cheer me up when I’m down. An album certainly one to turn on and enjoy with friends at a party, and one that draws a lot of nostalgia for me as I listened to this almost non-stop last summer, it may not be an album I listen to often but everytime I listen to it it puts a smile on my face.

If you don’t can stand harsh vocals in small doses, or just really like uber melodic and catchy music, this album is certainly for you

Recommended Tracks: Shake Your Grave, Street Emperor, Rumors of Worship, Big Truth

#25. Symphony X – Paradise Lost (2007)

Forget the haters, I love this album. I love power metal, but I love it most when it’s hard hitting and aggressive, and that’s exactly what this album is. A lot of folks here don’t seem to like Russel Allen’s voice a lot on this album, but I personally think that he actually improved in a way. You see I feel the harshness of his vocals on this album really add a layer of anger and passion that really fits the narrative of this album at times, same goes for the music on this album.

The guitar work and drum work I also feel are the best SX has done to date, balancing both technicality, melody, and intensity, which are three things I love to hear in an album, and imo this album pulls it off perfectly

This album is great and haters gonna hate.

Favorite tracks: Serpents Kiss, Paradise Lost, Eve of Seduction, Set The World On Fire.

#24. Iron Savior – The Landing (2011)

Probably one of the most sadly overlooked bands in metal today, which is a fuckin shame. Iron Savior, a band that plays a badass mixture of Heavy/power metal with a scifi twist. In a scene that’s become mostly stagnant, these guys come back to remind us what power metal is about. The riffs are fast, the melodies are catchy as hell, the vocals are ballsy, and all in all this is how this type of metal should be done.

Really, if you like any classic heavy metal or power metal, you’ll love this album, plain and simple

(note: I could have picked all but one of this bands other albums and this write up would’ve been the same, they’re quite possibly the single most consistent band in the history of metal imo)

Favorite tracks: everyone of them except Heavy Metal Never Dies

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2012, 08:22:33 PM »
I dont know how anyone could hate Paradise Lost, I love it. Russell's voice is awesome no matter what. Great pick in Symphony X

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2012, 09:45:26 PM »
PL is a great album, but certainly not their best.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2012, 11:16:36 PM »
Paradise Lost!  :metal

That album really hits hard. And the ballads are great too, I love the title track.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Mladen

« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2012, 02:28:14 AM »
Damn, I do not like Paradise lost. I mean, it's not bad, but it's pretty much the beginning of the end for Symphony X for me. Less prog, less keyboards, less melodies, less clean vocals... What's left to like? Yeah, there are some riffs and catchy choruses, but that's not enough for me. :-\

I do adore the title track and Eve of seduction, though...

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2012, 04:02:38 AM »
I have to listen to that Iron Savior record. The only one I know is Megatropolis and I like it.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2012, 04:08:37 AM »
Paradise Lost is my favourite Symphony X record. I don't know why, but it has 'always' been since I first heard it. That said, I loathe Iconoclast.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2012, 04:09:56 AM »
I love Paradise Lost, probably my fav from SX.

Love the Iron Savior pick, killer band.  But, IMO, Heavy Metal Never Dies is one of my favs on the album.

Paradise Lost is my favourite Symphony X record. I don't know why, but it has 'always' been since I first heard it. That said, I loathe Iconoclast.

Megatropolis is incredible.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2012, 08:24:08 AM »
You know which Sy X albums I would rather listen to over PL?

ALL OF THEM.  Yes, even their debut.  PL is my least favorite Sy X album, pretty much for the reasons Mladen stated.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2012, 10:05:23 AM »
For some reason PL is one of the last SymX I will reach for, however once I do start listening to it I always wonder why because I really like it.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
#36. Undead Corporation - 一撃 (2011)

I'm not familiar with this band, but have you heard of Demetori? Similarly they do metal versions of Touhou songs, but all instrumental. I'd definitely check out their versions of Necrofantasia, Higan Retour, Cosmic Mind, Nuclear Fusion, and Faith is for the Transient People.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2012, 04:38:40 PM »
#36. Undead Corporation - 一撃 (2011)

I'm not familiar with this band, but have you heard of Demetori? Similarly they do metal versions of Touhou songs, but all instrumental. I'd definitely check out their versions of Necrofantasia, Higan Retour, Cosmic Mind, Nuclear Fusion, and Faith is for the Transient People.
Ah yes, I quite enjoy Demetori. Glad to know of at least some one who's familiar with touhou metal  :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2012, 06:08:42 AM »
I actually like Paradise Lost. And yes, Iron Savior is criminally overlooked.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2012, 08:40:23 AM »
Thanks for the heads up on Iron Savior. checked them out on YT and loving it.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2012, 08:43:15 AM »
Symphony X has never done a thing for me, which is strange given their popularity around here.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2012, 11:45:43 AM »
Symphony X has never done a thing for me, which is strange given their popularity around here.

I can definitely see them as a band that someone could completely not get into or that they might love.

What have you tried?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2012, 11:47:43 AM »

The Accolade and Pharaoh  :heart :metal!

I'm not really into them too, but those two songs are just fantastic.

I have Paradise Lost from library, I'll listen to it soon.

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2012, 04:25:40 PM »
Iconoclast is better than Paradise Lost is that is what you are looking for. V is still their best though.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2012, 06:36:23 PM »
#23. Solution .45 – For Aeons Past (2010)

This album is another one that will always have a special place in my heart, as it was also one of the first metal albums I ever heard, and at first I thought it was too much for me

I loved vocalist Christian Alvestam’s clean vocals on this album (after listening to his work with ANOTHER band previously, but more on that later), but the growls almost felt like too much for me. Something about them felt too abrasive, so I stuck to only listening to the ballad track “Lehtean Tears” and the lead single “Gravitational Lensing” for a while, since LT had no growls, and GL had a vibe similar to that one other band I keep hinting at.

But then one day on my way home from school I discover the epic length closing track Clandestinty Now, and since at this time (being the height of my prog obsession, when I thought anything over 10 minutes was an instant classic), I hadn’t made it to this track when I first listened to the album, but as I’m listening to this…I suddenly become captivated by this song. “It’s like a cross between Dream Theater and –that other band- THIS IS AWESOME”

Suddenly I started to enjoy the harsh vocals, feeling that they added a level of emotional impact that I hadn’t noticed before, that coupled with Christian’s heavenly clean vocals, allowed me to warm up to this album and appreciate metal with growls more.

Definitely one worth checking out for fans of melodeath like In Flames and Soilwork, and prog-death like Opeth.

Recommended Tracks: Clandestinty Now, Though Knight-Kingdomed gates, Gravitational Lensing, Lethean Thears

#22. Masterplan – Masterplan (2003)

This album is another one of those Power Metal albums that really emphasizes the “power” aspect of the music.

Much like I mentioned in my Nocturnal Rites write up, when I discovered this album during some bad times, it really helped me get my spirits up when I was down.

Right from my first listen songs like Sail On, Spirit Never Dies, Soulburn, and Whel Love Comes Close really stuck me, and made me feel this sense of self-empowerment that I hadn’t felt before when listening to music. Especially with Jorn Lande’s vocals, man was I stunned when I heard his voice. Sure I had heard voices like his before, but none of them struck me in the same way his did.

The music is also a very unique style of power metal, that almost borders on hard rock at times, but not too much.

Anyway, great album, if you like power stuff you’ll love it blah blah blah etc.

Recommended Tracks: all the ones I mentioned plus Into The Light and Heroes

#21. Omnium Gatherum – New World Shadows (2011)

I’m sitting here about to pass out from having some dental work done today...so I’ll just leave you with a brief thing

If you like melodeath, but really wanna hear something that’s blissful and atmospheric, you should totally listen to this album, because even thought the vocals are a bit rough, the music is super melodic and clean. Definitely one for those who are into Scar Symmetry, and Mygrain.

Recommended tracks: it’s a nine track album and picking wouldn’t do any of these amazingly beautiful tracks justice

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2012, 06:41:51 PM »
Not familiar with number 21, but both Masterplan and Solution .45 are absolutely incredible albums.  I contemplated both of those albums when doing my list, and both would sit between 60 - 70.

For Aeons Past is simply one of the greatest melodic death metal records ever.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2012, 08:31:29 PM »
Wolf is right, the debut from Masterplan is incredible.  Don't know the other two.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2012, 06:28:59 AM »
Anytime a Jorn project makes a Top 50 pleases me.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2012, 06:35:55 AM »
Wolf is right, the debut from Masterplan is incredible.  Don't know the other two.
The Masterplan is OK. I just don't connect to Jorn I guess.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2012, 04:34:37 PM »

:o Fair enough mate, but IMO he is the greatest voice rock has ever seen for a long time.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2012, 05:06:22 AM »

:o Fair enough mate, but IMO he is the greatest voice rock has ever seen for a long time.

Agreed.  I'd ass-rape his voice if I could.  Wait ... never mind.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2012, 05:07:06 AM »
The Masterplan debut is excellent :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2012, 09:23:02 AM »
From what I've heard I don't think Masterplan ever matched their debut. Has anyone followed them and listened extensively to their other records?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #97 on: August 17, 2012, 10:21:10 AM »

Oh the guy is a sensational vocalist. That is obvious. But connecting to a vocalist is always a tricky thing.
I love Udo and even I cannot understand why! :D

Offline BanksD

« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2012, 02:09:14 PM »
From what I've heard I don't think Masterplan ever matched their debut. Has anyone followed them and listened extensively to their other records?

Time to Be King comes pretty damn close if you ask me

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2012, 02:35:45 PM »

I've got all four, but I wouldn't say I've listened to them extensively.  Like them all pretty equally.  It's hard to say, because I just got in to Jorn in the last 10 months, so jumped into everything of his all at once.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #100 on: August 17, 2012, 03:15:24 PM »
I will warn though that one album by them doesn't have Jorn on it

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2012, 04:51:15 PM »

Time to Be King comes pretty damn close if you ask me

IMO, Time to Be King is by far their weakest record.

Aeronautics is a very very close second to the debut and MK2 isn't too far behind.  Mike did an amazing job on that and it has a ton of great songs.  Time To Be King was just weak IMO.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2012, 09:53:22 PM »
Alright moving into the top 20

#20. Queensryche – The Warning (1984)

I can hear it already “YOU PICKED THE WARNING OVER OPERATION MINDCRIME? THAT’S BLASPHEMY!”
Well yeah, I did, not without reason however.

Yes while Mindcrime was the album that originally got me into Queensryche, but as I went through their discography and listened to them more and more, this album eventually became the one what stuck with me, and since then I’ve always felt it was their best.

The music screams classic 80’s Maiden with a progressive twist, and I love it for that, plus Geoff Tate’s vocals were the best they probably ever were on this album, with amazing performances like Deliverance, Take Hold of The Flame, and Roads To Madness. Plus Chris DeGarmo and Michael Wilton’s guitar work need no introduction, with amazing riffs and leads in songs like En Force and Child of Fire.

Overall a perfect classic heavy album with prog elements, and will forever be my favorite Queensryche album.

Recommended Tracks: En Force, Deliverance, Roads to Madness, Child of Fire

#19. Annihilator – Never Neverland (1990)

The single most underrated album in thrash metal history, if not metal history in general, and why this album never got any wider recognition until long after it came out is beyond me, because damn this album is great.

The album may not have the bite of other classic thrashers but where this album succeeds is in the guitar solos, melodies, and overall fun nature of the album.

Jeff Waters’ guitar work on this album is probably the highlight, managing to play smooth melodies and fast riffs interchangeably, and even pulling off some impressive solos

The vocals may be pretty goofy at times, but like I said, another  highlight of this album is the overall fun nature of it (seen in songs like The Fun Palace and Kraf Dinner)

Basically, any of those who haven’t heard this album really should, it’s a metal classic that was sadly lost to time.

Recommended tracks: The Fun Palace, Sixes and Sevens, Phantasmagoria, Never Neverland

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2012, 09:59:45 PM »
Two absolute classics there.  Great to see appreciation for The Warning, and also for Never over the usually appreciation of Alice.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2012, 10:08:45 PM »
Big fan of Warning- great choice.  Only a casual fan of Annihilator, but like what I've heard.