Author Topic: BanksD's Top 50 Albums V. It's over  (Read 24939 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: BanksD's Top 50 Albums v. Tl;dr
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2012, 12:50:42 PM »
Halloween is great, though I prefer Keeper I. Death is pretty cool too - some of the only death metal that I like, actually.

However, I never got into Devin Townsend. I've tried almost every album, and nothing ever did anything for me. *shrugs*
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2012, 06:31:16 PM »
The Keeeper albums  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2012, 07:04:47 PM »
Like Banks, I will be pairing up the Keepers albums in my Top 50, and the will be in the Top 10 for sure. Part 1 was game changing for me. Part II is probably the greatest vocal performance I have ever heard.
I will say that my favorite track is We Got The Right. Kiske just slays on it. To think of how young he was when he recorded those albums, before he turned 20!.

Nice picks!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline adace

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2012, 11:31:14 PM »
41-39 are all awesome  :metal

Offline BanksD

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2012, 06:47:49 PM »
#38. Esoteric – The Maniacal Vale (2008) 

Some albums are heavy because of how fast and aggressive the music is…and some are heavy because of how brutally slow and crushing they are…and then some albums are Esoteric albums.

Let’s get a little explanation out of the way, Esoteric plays funeral doom metal…and if you’re not familiar with funeral doom metal, well it’s basically what you get if you take standard doom metal and slowed it WAAAAAAAAAY the fuck down. FDM is usually very atmospheric and very emotional (depressed) music, and is certainly a genre that is not for everyone (more so than almost any other genre of metal)

Now Esoteric is a FDM band, but this album goes a little bit beyond your typical funeral style, and almost feels like an album that’s hard to pin down, as I’ve seen many different tags for this (Extreme Funeral Doom, Psychedelic Doom,  Progressive Funeral Doom, you  name it). The album really sells itself on it’s dark atmosphere, and build up in the song structure.

Take the 20 minute opening track Circle, the song starts out with a simple guitar intro, but as more and more instruments start to join in you start to feel the song build and build, and as the song progresses on your treated to what can only be described as a descent into insanity, it’s very powerful stuff imo.

To keep this relatively short (I could do a long drawn out review of this album, but I won’t for the sake of this top 50) this album will probably crush your very soul, with it’s brutally slow tempos, and dark desperate atmosphere. It’s definitely only one for the extremely open minded, and one that will likely take many a listen to truly appreciate (for me it took about 4 or 5)

Recommended to: Crazy masochistic people like me with a tolerance for almost anything metal
Stand out tracks: I won’t list any since this album really lends itself to the full experience.

#37. Porcupine Tree – Deadwing (2005)

Now for the other side of the coin.

Most everyone here is familiar with this album so I’ll keep it short.

Being the music fan I am, and preferring metal over prog 9 times out of ten, this album is my favorite Porcupine Tree album, sure other works like In Absentia and Fear of a Dead Planet have individual songs I like more, on an overall level, this album is the one that just sticks with me most.

The album manages to blend Prog-rock with metal in a way that few other albums I’ve heard have, and is definitely one that any fan of either genre could get into.

Recommended to: prog rock fans, and metal fans
Stand out tracks: Arriving Somewhere, Deadwing, Lazarus, Shallow

#36. Undead Corporation - 一撃 (2011)

Okay…so a lot of you may be wondering what the fuck you’re looking at here.

Well Undead Corporation is another melodic death band, who plays metal in the vein of bands like In Flames and Soilwork…but unlike those bands this band writes all of their songs based around songs from the semi-famous Japanese PC game-made-by-one-lonely-guy-in-his-basement called “Touhou”

I won’t talk much about the games because I’m almost 95% sure no one would care, but they’re basically shoot ‘em up game except you play as a magical girl, oh and the games are insanely hard even on easier settings.

But what draws a lot of people to the games is the soundtrack, and this band (and many other bands) took it upon themselves to make metal remixes of various songs from the game.

This band takes it to the next level though, by actually including vocal arrangements (which isn’t all to uncommon in this here “scene” but still commendable.

Also, for those who aren’t fans of harsh vocals, you’re in luck, since the album actually comes with instrumental versions of all the tracks.

Recommended to: Fans of In Flames, Soilwork, and other melodeath bands
Stand out tracks: The Silent World, Put a Curse on You, Magus Night Fever, World No Hope Remains.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2012, 10:11:20 PM »
Not familiar with any of those picks.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2012, 12:32:23 AM »
Deadwing is one of the few PT albums that I like, so that's cool. Don't know the other two.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2012, 03:00:59 AM »
Nice writeup for Esoteric, I'll check it out cause of that. Props for Deadwing too!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2012, 04:59:51 AM »
Deadwing.  :metal

Don't know the other two.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2012, 10:27:18 AM »
Deadwing.  :metal

Don't know the other two.
This.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2012, 10:29:50 AM »
Eh... Addicted! has never done too much for me.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2012, 06:43:50 PM »
These are all pretty half-assed since I've had a long day and I'm tired as hell right now.

#35. Testament – The Gathering (1999)

Most people would pick The Legacy as their favorite Testament album, then again I’m not most people.

As great as The Legacy is, this album just delivers more of a punch to me. You see while bands like Metallica and Megadeth started to soften up, Testament just got more and more aggressive as they progressed, all culminating in this album.

This album is just downright badass, the vocals are done perfectly, not too light, but at the same time not too aggressive, the music is the same way, blending melodic sections with in your face thrash riffs.

Definitely one worthy of any thrash metal fan’s collection.

Recommended to: Thrash metal fans
Stand out tracks: Eyes of Wrath, Down For Life, Careful What You Wish For, DNR

#34. Obituary – Cause of Death (1990)

Quite possibly one of the most underrated classic death metal albums ever. Sure many people know of albums such as Alters of Madness, Leprosy, Toumb Of The Mutilated, Effigy of The Forgotten, etc. But even though Obituary is fairly well respected, it’s not much often I see this album get the attention I feel it deserves.

This album is just straight up punishing, from the tortured vocals, to the gutars, to the drums, this album is a 41 minute battering ram to the face.

Sure it may not be as technical as other classic death metal albums, but when it comes right down to this album, it’s just straight up fun, something anyone into death metal can enjoy.

Recommended to: fans of classic death metal
Stand out tracks: Infected, Chopped In Half, Dying, Cause of Death

#33. Iron Maiden – Somewhere In Time (1986)

Really, do I need to say anything about this album?  This is my favorite Maiden album, though to be honest chosing between this album and Seventh Son was pretty hard…but then again…7th Son has” Can I Play With Madness?” which is a song I really don’t care for…so because of that, this one just edges it out because of that.

This album was a natural progression from Powerslave, where Maiden started to take a more progressive approach, and it definitely does show here.

I’ll be honest though this album took a couple listens to get into, but once I got into it I fell I love.

Recommended to: anyone who hasn’t already heard it and is a metal fan pretty much
Stand out tracks: Wasted Years, Caught Somewhere In Time, Stranger In a Strange Land, Alexander The Great
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 04:22:22 AM by BanksD »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2012, 06:57:43 PM »
Wow... more SiT.  Now I am getting surprised at the frequency it's popping up.  Great album, but didn't know it would make this many peoples' Top 50.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2012, 08:45:37 PM »
I'm never surprised with any Maiden at any time.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2012, 09:27:03 PM »
Somewhere in time  :metal. Not my favorite Maiden album but a really good one
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2012, 11:35:12 PM »
hey BanksD, you went 36, 35, back to 36, then 34.

I think Obituary should be 34 and Maiden would be 33.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2012, 04:46:54 AM »
 :facepalm: damn it

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2012, 07:58:14 AM »
Wow... more SiT.  Now I am getting surprised at the frequency it's popping up.  Great album, but didn't know it would make this many peoples' Top 50.
I agree. I think I mentioned that in Zook's thread, or Wolfking's.
You will not see it in my Top 50.

The Gathering's vocals kill it for me. Doesn't Dave Lombardo play on this album?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2012, 03:29:07 PM »
God not another deluded person who thinks SIT is a great album. Have you people not listened to Killers or Powerslave, or Piece Of Mind?

Just joking, but it's not a great Maiden album for me. It was the beginning of the end for me. Some good tracks but at least half the album was boring and poor. Loneliness, Sea Of Madness, Stranger In A Strange Land, not good. Guitar sound was weak and Bruce was phoning it in. Just my view, other opinions seem to differ!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2012, 03:45:10 PM »
God not another deluded person who thinks SIT is a great album. Have you people not listened to Killers or Powerslave, or Piece Of Mind?

Just joking, but it's not a great Maiden album for me. It was the beginning of the end for me. Some good tracks but at least half the album was boring and poor. Loneliness, Sea Of Madness, Stranger In A Strange Land, not good. Guitar sound was weak and Bruce was phoning it in. Just my view, other opinions seem to differ!
I hear you. I remember when it came out, I loved it. I felt it was very original, as I thought Powerslave was anything but. SiT just hasn't aged well to me though.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2012, 05:06:46 PM »
I just find it difficult not liking anything Maiden related.  No matter what they release, I always find something positive about it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2012, 06:18:03 PM »
I just find it difficult not liking anything Maiden related.  No matter what they release, I always find something positive about it.
Oh, absolutely.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2012, 04:35:42 PM »
Sorry for the lack of an update yesterday, it was my first day of school and i was exhausted when i got home.

#32. Nightfall – Candlemass (1987)

Doom metal, quite possibly the most underappreciated style of metal (along with black metal) and probably the subgenre with the most diversity it it…there’s traditional doom, death doom, sludge doom, blackened doom, stoner doom, funeral doom, prog doom, extreme doom, you name it, no one listens to it.

I’ve already talked about a funeral doom album…so let’s talk about a traditional doom album shall we?

Candlemass has already released their first album in the year before, but for this release there would be a small lineup change, but in this case, said small lineup change would go a hell of a long way.

For this album, vocalist Messiah Marcolin would be added to the mix, and boy did it make for a massive improvement

yeah while Epicus Doomicus Metalicus was good album…it wasn’t Nightfall good, and Marcolin’s vocals, and the new take on the sound did a hell of a lot to make this album one of the best of it’s kind.

The songs blended mid tempo headbang worthy riffs with slow crushing doom riffs, all with messiah’s evil yet emotional vocals made for the album that let the metal world know that doom was a force to be reckoned with.

Sure doom was seemingly swallowed up by death and Black metal in the 1990’s, it’s still going strong today in the forms of [insert the ridiculous amount of doom subgenre’s I listed]

Recommended to: anyone who’s curious as to what Doom metal sounds like
Stand out tracks: Well of Souls, Dark Are The Veils of Death, Samaritan, At The Gallows End

#31. Temple of Shadows – Angra (2004)

This album is just straight up fun, probably one of the most fun prog/power albums I’ve ever heard. The first half of this album it’s probably some of the best power metal ever recorded, and while the second half seems to focus more on prog-metal elements, it’s still enjoyable, hell even amazing at times.

If you can get past the heavy accent in the vocals, you’ll probably love this album if you’re a fan of either prog metal or power metal. Plus being produced by Kai Hansen of Gamma Ray AND featuring him doing guest vocals on the track Temple of Hate, has got to be a bonus of any fan of Gamma Ray and/or power metal in general

Recommended to: People who like a little bit of prog in their power metal
Stand Out Tracks: Spread Your Fire, Angles and Demons, The Wishing Well, The Shadow Hunter

#30. Sodom – In War and Pieces (2010)

I LOVE Sodom , ever since the mid 80’s these guys have been making some of the most badass thrash (even though the 90’s was so-so for me) and as awesome as classics like Agent Orange, and Better off Dead are, I personally think they’ve been getting progressively better since 1999’s Code Red.

This album is their most recent, and one of the more melodic of their recent albums, but probably the most consistent and focused album of their career. The songs may not have the chaotic nature of classics like Agent Orange, it’s this album’s ability to keep with the same structure for most of the song without becoming boring is what makes it their best work.

Tom “Angelripper” Such’s vocals are the best they’ve been yet, simultaneously sounding evil and aggressive, and all though they may be a turn off to most, anyone who enjoys thrash metal of any kind should give this album a go, as this one is not to be passed up

Recommended to: Fans of modern and classic thrash alike
Stand out tracks: In War and Pieces, The Art Of Killing Poetry, Nothing Counts More Than Blood, Knarrenheinz
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 07:58:12 PM by BanksD »

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2012, 04:57:32 PM »
Cool pick with Nightfall! Havent't heard the others.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2012, 05:01:56 PM »
Both Angra and Sodom are pretty good. I don't know Candlemass, but I'm no fan of doom metal, so... yeah.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2012, 05:12:59 PM »
Candlemass is actually fairly easy to get into for a doom band, plus the vocals are all sung so the vocals probably wont be an instant turn off

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2012, 03:23:12 AM »
Some really good albums in here, and also a load that I've never heard. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2012, 08:50:46 AM »
Deadwing is one of the greatest albums ever  :heart

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2012, 05:19:57 PM »
temple of shadows = my favorite angra album. so fucking good.  :metal

Offline BanksD

Re: BanksD's Top 50 Albums v. These write ups are terrible
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2012, 08:01:37 PM »
#29. Freedom Call –Eternity (2002)

This is probably the happiest and most upbeat album I’ve heard, Freedom Call is another power metal band, which features Dan Zimmerman of Gamma Ray on drums (at least I know he was on this album, I don’t know if he’s still in the band now)

The music on this album is cheesy as fuck, I mean, I’ve had pizzas that didn’t have this much cheese on them, but at the same time I think it’s what helps give the music its care free charm.

One example of cheese on this album is the ballad track “Bleeding heart” which made me laugh so hard at first when I heard it that I thought I was gonna cry. That may seem like a bad thing, but you see, I like when I can laugh at an album, be it good or bad…but…I’ll get to that more later on

anyway, this album is one for anyone looking for something that’s catchy and easy to get into, or something that’s fun to sing along to with friends, or hell, just anything fun.

Recommended to: I already told you and I don’t feel like typing again :P
Stand out tracks: Flying High, Warrior, Eyes of The World, Metal Invasion

#28.  In Flames – The Jester Race (1995)

One of the first and most important albums in the melodic death metal scene, and one that will always be a classic for me.

It may not have been the easiest album by them for me to get into (in fact I hated it the first time I listened to it), but over time I listened to it more and my mind was soon opened to this wonderful album.

The guitars are perfectly melodic and majestic, while at the same time shredding and intense. This album is definitely a must hear for any meodeath fan…hell if you’re a fan of melodeath and you HAVEN’T heard it yet, shame on you!

Recommended to: I’m tired of putting things here so im not gonna after this one
Stand out tracks: Artifacts of the Black Rain, Lord Hypnos, Moonsheild, December Flower

#27. Gamma Ray – Majestic (2005)

Most Gamma Ray fans look at this as the worst of the Kai Hansen era albums…well I’m not most Gamma Ray fans (wait did I say something like that already?)

This album may be a lot more stripped down compared to classics like Land of The Free, Power Plant, and hell, even No World Order, but honestly that’s what I like about this album most, it makes listening to it a lot easier, and it goes by a lot shorter than those albums, but at the same time it’s not too short.

The songs are a lot more straightforward, but no less fun than previous albums, and sure Kai’s vocals aren’t what they were on previous works, but it doesn’t matter to me.

basically I’m trying to say that I love this album the most out of their work, and even though I don’t know why, it seems to stick with me more than most of their other stuff (though I pretty much love all of the albums outside of the first 3 without Kai doing vocals and To The Metal)

Stand out tracks: Revelation, Majesty, My Temple, Strange World

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2012, 08:13:41 PM »
Nightfall  :metal :metal :metal

The Jester Race is pretty good, too.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2012, 02:27:42 AM »
Majestic is a brilliant album, my second favorite from Gamma ray.  :metal

And I've heard some of those song from Eternity like Land of the light, it's a very sweet band, I really enjoy them. I saw them live two years ago, it was good, but Zimmerman wasn't playing with them. Then Gamma ray followed and kicked some serious ass.  :hefdaddy

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2012, 02:56:47 AM »
Majestic and The Jester Race  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Chad recently turned me onto earlier Freedom Call and they are damn good.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2012, 03:19:02 AM »
Majestic and The Jester Race are :letam: :2metal: :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2012, 05:02:53 AM »
Well, I'm gonna be different than everyone else.  I don't know IF or GR at all, but will give a :2metal: to Eternity.  Last album with Sascha Gerstner before departing for Helloween.  I personally prefer Crystal Empire to this one, but it's a close 2nd.

Happy metal ftw!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion