Author Topic: BanksD's Top 50 Albums V. It's over  (Read 24791 times)

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
Re: BanksD's Top 50 Albums v. These write ups are terrible
« Reply #105 on: August 17, 2012, 10:23:14 PM »
Big fan of Warning- great choice.  Only a casual fan of Annihilator, but like what I've heard.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #106 on: August 18, 2012, 03:30:46 AM »
Big fan of The Warning here. Annihilator not so much.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #107 on: August 18, 2012, 04:54:31 AM »
The Warning is pretty darn good.  :tup

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2012, 10:51:21 AM »
Big fan of Warning- great choice.  Only a casual fan of Annihilator, but like what I've heard.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline BanksD

« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2012, 05:27:59 PM »
#18. Anubis Gate – The Detatched(2009)

Anubis Gate is a prog power band from Denmark who’s been making music for the past few years starting with their albums Purification and A Perfect Forever, and while most people who know of this band (all 70 of them) hold up APF as their best album, this album will always be tops for me.

The concept on this album is basically a story about “The Detatched” a race of intergalactic humans who can live forever, dethatched from time basically. If you want to read along with the concept while listening (which I highly recommend) the band were nice enough to put the story up on their website.

The music is a perfect blend of Prog Metal and power metal (think Angra, Circus Maximums, Symphony X, etc.), and the vocals are amazing, Jacob Hansen (who also produced this album) has an amazing voice, and from hearing him on this album he instantly became one of my favorite vocalists.

If you enjoy any kind of prog metal this album is a must have…though it is a bit hard to find a physical copy of…which is unfortunate because this album is absolutely amazing.

Recommended tracks: Yri, Bloodoath, A Lifetime To Share, Lost In Myself

#17. Nile – Annihilation of The Wicked (2005)

This album is fucking punishing, the riffs go between fast and blistering death metal riffs, to slow and pummeling doom inspired riffs, all combined with Karl Sander’s guitar work and Guttural vocals make for literally one of the most literally “brutal” albums in existence.

The album explodes open with its first song “Cast Down The Heretic” and never lets up. The album’s Egyptian atmosphere also really conjures up a sense of being stuck in ancient Egypt, dying under the blazing sun, slowly de-hydrating.

The album culminates with the final track “Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten” which is a brutally slow and almost painful (in a good way), and truly one of my favorite death metal songs of all time, and my favorite Nile song.

Any death metal fan should give this album a try, as it’s probably my favorite death metal album of all time…I say probably because…well you’ll see ;D.

Recommended tracks: Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten, User Mat-re, Lashed to The Slave Stick, Cast Down The Heretic.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2012, 05:29:03 PM »
Nile are really good.  I need to get more of their albums.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline adace

« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2012, 05:29:46 PM »
Love that Nile album :metal Haven't heard the other one though.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2012, 05:31:23 PM »
Nile are really good.  I need to get more of their albums.

Might I recommend Those Whom The Gods Detest, In Their Darkened Shrines, and Black Seeds of Vengeance

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2012, 07:40:22 AM »
The Detached is a great choice.  I love how the theme they start the album with comes back with a fury right at the end.  Pyramids is a monster track, surprised you didn't recommend that.  And the last minute of Options - Going Nowhere is out of this world good.  This album is definitely in my top 20.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2012, 09:05:41 AM »
Nile is amazing! Probably my fave death metal band. Great pick!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2012, 01:43:08 PM »
I'm a big fan (one of the 70?) of Anubis Gate. Great album.

Nile are not my thing.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2012, 07:51:07 PM »
#16. Warbringer –Worlds Torn Asunder (2011)

This album is quite possibly my favorite thrash metal album at this time. It’s got everything a thrash album needs, Aggressive pissed off vocals, blistering riffs and solos, fast and machine gun like drums, and a general “fuck you get out of my way” attitude.

Once it gets going this album never lets up, it’s one of, if not the most insane and unrelenting thrash album(s) I’ve ever heard. Song after song is just packed full of badass riffs, shredding solos, pissed off and unapologetic vocals and drumming that’ll rattle you into a coma.

Thrash fans should get their hands on it if at all possible, as this is one not to be missed

Recommended tracks: Living Weapon, Wake Up Destroy, Savagery, Shattered Like Glass, all of them, yeah, it’s one of those albums

#15. Disarmonia Mundi – The Isolation Game (2009)

February 2011, I’m still really new to metal, only listening to Slipknot, Dream Theater, Scar Symmetry, and Persuader. I’m talking to a friend of mine on skype and he shows me a song by this (melodeath) band…That song is the Japanese bonus track from this album called “The Shape Of Things To Come” and even though im used to this kind of metal…this one strikes me as being different than the rest…the chugging riff in the verses and alternated tempos in the pre-chorus grabs me, and thrashes me around, and long with the pissed off snarls in the verses, I’d never heard something that was this badass!

But it doesn’t end there, then the chorus comes in and my jaw drops to the floor, the way they managed to transition from that aggressive verse section to this beautiful chorus was something new to me, sure bands like Scar Symmetry and Slipknot did it (and SS a little better imo but more on that later) but this was the first time when a song had really caused me to actually have some sort of emotional response to it on the first listen.

Basically you get the jist of the music from this summary. Most of the songs pretty much follow that formula and for all (or most) of the 14 songs on this album pull it off tremendously.

If you like any metalcore or melodeath you’re sure to love this one

Recommended tracks: The Shape of Things To Come, Perdition Haze, The Isolation Game, Ties That Bind, Losing Ground

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I've always been meaning to check out that Mundi album, I sure will now.  Fragments was absolutely killer.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
Listening to that Disarmonia Mundi album now, it's pretty cool so far.  :metal

Offline BanksD

Sorry for the lack of updates lately, school and marching band have been taking up so much time from me...but I'll have the next 4 or 5 albums all on Sunday to make up for lost time and speed things up.

Offline BanksD

Alright next update, this week we'll start in on the top 10!

#14.  Iced Earth – Something Wicked This Way Comes (1998)

I was torn between this album, Horror Show, and Burnt Offerings, but I settled on this album for two reasons, one that this album is the perfect blend of the more power metal style of Horror Show and the thrashier, heavy metal oriented Offerings. The other reason is this being another album with a lot of nostalgia for me. The closing track The Coming Curse was another one of the first metal songs I ever heard, and at first it did absolutely nothing for me and I soon forgot it…then come February of 2011 I decide to check out this album, and damn, was I blown away.

The riffs were some of the most badass I had ever heard…and the vocals, oh my god, Matt Barlow instantly became one of my favorite vocalists by listening to this album. His range was godlike, unlike anything I had ever heard, with haunting lows and demonic highs.

I see most say that this album has a lot of filler, but I disagree, practically every song on this album I love, even weaker ones like Stand Alone can manage to get me to headbang along furiously.

And of course the last three tracks , the so called “Something Wicked Trilogy” are mind blowing in their own right, and one of my favorite ending runs in any album ever.

Amazing album, and staple of metal for anyone who listens to the genre

Recommended Tracks: The Coming Curse, Consequences, Disciples of the Lie, Birth Of The Wicked

#13. Rotting Christ – AEALO (2010)

This album is really weird, It’s a mixture of melodic black metal and greek folk music. Like I said weird…but at the same time manage to be stunning.

None of the songs are particularly fast paced (the title track is probably the fastest things get on this album) but man the guitar parts are nothing short of amazing. Like the solo in Demonon Vrosis, or the melodies in Noctis Era, the guitar melodies and mid tempo, “war march” type feel of this album makes it absolutely stunning and powerful in places.

However my favorite song on this album may seem a bit odd a pick to some. It’s the final track on the album “Orders from the dead” which isn’t a song so much as a reading of a poem set to music. The poem is the poem of the same name by Diamanda Galas, and damn is it grim, with the haunting voice of its author reading it set to Rotting Christ’s music (the same mid tempo march style with amazing guitar melodies), and as the content of the poem gets darker and darker, the music grows heavier and heavier.

It’s beautiful in a way really.

If nothing else check out that one track just for the sake of hearing it once.

Recommended tracks:  Orders From The Dead, Noctis Era, Demonon Vrosis, Thou Art Lord, Fire Death and Fear.

#12. Pendulum – Immersion (2010)

Probably the most out of place thing on my list, but I’ll keep it short…

The music on this album is just fun, and as someone who finds most electronic music (especially a lot of Drum & Bass stuff) unappealing, this album is just fucking awesome. The songs are catchy, fun to sing along with, and it even includes guest appearances by In Flames and Steven Wilson.

I love all three of Pendulum’s albums almost equally, but this is another album that I pick out of nostalgia, since I listened to it almost non-stop throughout my entire freshman year of high school, and for better or worse I’ll always associate it with that.

If you like catchy fun music this’ll be for you, even if you don’t like electronic stuff, this is worth a listen.

Recommended tracks: The Fountain, Crush, Witchcraft, Watercolour, Under The Waves, The Island

#11. Mercenary – 11 Dreams (2004)

This album just barely got cut from being in my top 10, I wanted it to be in there, but there were a couple albums that I just had to put in over this one.

That being said, this album is just plain amazing.

On this album Mercenary played a very proggy-melodeath style that went from vicious and abrasive songs like World Hate Center, to beautiful ballads like Sharpen The Edges, to the epic Firesoul. Firesoul not only being my favorite off of this album, but one of my favorite songs ever, and being the perfect cross section of this album, with the shrieking opening section, and soaring chorus parts that defy all imagnination.

The vocals on this album are just too damn good, Mikkel Sandager’s performance on this album is probably one of the greatest in metal, and probably one of the most criminally overlooked ever.

The same can pretty much be said for this album, and it’s a shame that after this album Mercenary never managed to make anything that ever came close to being as good as this album (imo, though Hours That Remain was really good, and Architect of Lies having a few really good songs on it), with their latest being one of the most disappointingly generic melodeath albums I’ve ever heard.

Recommended tracks: Firesoul, World Hate Center, Sharpen The Edges, 11 Dreams

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Something Wicked could possibly be my favourite IE album :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Something Wicked is  :metal

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Why isn't Melancholy among your recommended tracks?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline BanksD

Guess I just didn't think to put it

great song though :tup

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
So called Something Wicked Trilogy? Is says so right on the CD :lol

Offline BanksD

Shhhh I don't own the album yet don't tell anyone.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
 :police:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Something Wicked is  :metal
I love Reaping Stone!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Reaping Stone is good, but sounds a little too much like Black Sabbath. The middle section James MacDonough wrote is bad ass though.

Offline 6sAllTheWay

I enjoy reading your write-ups! Kudos for the 11 Dreams by Mercenary inclusion. They were (Are?) indeed a great band!

Offline BanksD

Glad to see you're liking it  ;D

And yeah Mercenary were a great band on 11 Dreams and Hours That Remain, and still managed to make a good album in Architect of Lies, but on Metamorphosis i feel like they kidna mailed it in. Plus considering how many lineup changes have taken place since 11 Dreams it's not even the same band anymore.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
That Mercenary album sounds like something I'd enjoy.  I will have to check it out.

Offline 6sAllTheWay

Glad to see you're liking it  ;D

And yeah Mercenary were a great band on 11 Dreams and Hours That Remain, and still managed to make a good album in Architect of Lies, but on Metamorphosis i feel like they kidna mailed it in. Plus considering how many lineup changes have taken place since 11 Dreams it's not even the same band anymore.

I also really enjoyed Everblack, their second album and my first listen of Mercenary. If memory serves me, that album was a bit heavier on the Death side of Melodic Death.

Offline 6sAllTheWay

*double post*

Offline BanksD

Since we're moving into the top 10 now I'm only going to be doing one album at a time.

#10. Strapping Young Lad – Alien (2005)

This album is a fucking madhouse, a rollercoaster ride on meth, a hurricane of rage and anger, you name your synonym for “Shitstorm” and you’ve got this album. This album was the pinnacle of not only SYL’s career but of Devin Townsend’s entire career imo, an album that perfectly summed him up at the time, able to make not only some of the most pissed off and hateful songs ever, but make you want to cry like a bitch with beautiful melodies.

For me, the emo 8th grader I was at the time of discovering this album, this album was like nothing I had ever heard done in music before, or have ever heard since, and probably will ever hear again. The first time I listened to this album all the way through I seriously was in tears when it was over, as this album was almost too fucking much for me to handle.

From the riff heavy Skekisis, to the mental breakdown that is Shitstorm, to the groovy as fuck Love?, to the almost 180 degree turn around in outlook that is the closing track Zen, this album is just perfection, it would be my favorite album ever, and dammit it comes close (like every other thing in this top 10), but there just had to be 10 albums I liked more ;D

but whatever, this album is just perfection. Devin Townsend is a fucking genius for making this and, dare I say, a god among men.

Recommended Tracks: Love, We Ride, Possession, Zen, Shitstorm

Offline Lowdz

I just. Any get into Devin. Too intense, the vocals hurt my ears- I did watch a YouTube video of him talking and messing about on guitar and I loved that- just not his albums.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Dont know alot about him, but do know that he did a killer cover of Natural Science by Rush.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm with LOWDZ on this one Devin has never really done anything for me I have tried his solo stuff ,DTB , Strapping and none of it clicks for me. Just recently picked up the SYL greatest hits album (if you want to call it that) and it just came across as a wall of noise, I heard no melodies in it at all. There needs to something to hold my interest and their gimic seems to be lets play fast hard and angry.
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Dont know alot about him, but do know that he did a killer cover of Natural Science by Rush.

yes, I really like that cover as well
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.