Author Topic: BanksD's Top 50 Albums V. It's over  (Read 24797 times)

Offline BanksD

BanksD's Top 50 Albums V. It's over
« on: August 02, 2012, 10:15:10 AM »
Well hello everyone, and welcome to my top 50. I'm pretty sure a lot of you here may not be the most familiar with who I am, but I'm hoping that making this may change that a little.

Let me start off by giving a few details about this list

-No Repeats
-This list will be mostly metal (of all kinds, melodeath, power, black, thrash, you name it, it's probably on this list)
-there is one album on this list that was released this year
-I'll try to update this daily, and if I have to take a break of any for a few or more day's I'll make sure to post in here about it.
-3 albums at a time since i tend to write a lot about them when I get to it.

So without and further wait...let's begin!

I decided to start off this list at #5 with the first metal album I ever heard.

#50. Persuader - Evolution Purgatory (2004)

It's September 2010, and I'm sitting at my computer bored as all get out, talking to one of my friends who I've known online for little over a year at this point. Up to this point I had only really listened to a few bands (Dave Matthews Band, 3 Doors Down, a few 80's pop bands, and some generic radio country), but I was getting tired of the things I was listening to, and this friend was the only real friend I had who listened to any kind of music I wasn't familiar with (That being Metal obviously.) So I decide that day to actually ask for a recommendation or two, and so after a minute or two he comes back with a small list of stuff (mostly nu metal, melodeath, and power metal stuff). One of the songs on this list is the song To The End by a Power Metal band called Persuader, and even though a lot of the other songs on the list was good, and one band on this list would go on to be one of my favorites (more on that later) this song was the one that really grabbed me, and was the first time I had ever heard a metal song and thought "wow...I've gotta listen to this album." So I did after a couple of days...and what I heard changed the way I listened to music forever.

The album itself is a blend of power metal of the like of Blind guardian, but with a bit more of an aggressive, almost thrashy approach (Think Iced Earth meets Blind Guardian). The songs are catchy, but at the same time aggressive and relentless. If there was ever an album I'd use to get someone into power metal, it would most certainly be this one, seeing as how this isn't your typical cheesy power metal album, but at the same time this album is also one I could recommend to pretty much anyone who's a fan of Power/Traditional heavy metal, and yes even though the vocals of Jens Carlsson are very similar to that of Hansi Kürsch of Blind Guardian, his voice (much like this band's music) is a lot more aggressive and really compliments the style of the band.

Definitely recommended to fans of: Power Metal/Traditional Heavy Metal
Stand out Tracks: To The End, Sanity Soiled, Strike Down

#49. Saxon - Linoheart (2004)

Saxon is a band that's actually been around quite a while, having come out of the same wave as Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, however unlike their contemporaries, they never quite received the same recognitionas they did. Between 1976 and 2012 they have released 20 studio albums, and this one I'm reviewing today is their 2004 album Lionheart.

Much unlike many other well known metal bands that came out of their time, I feel that they've managed to not only remain true to their original sound, but actually make better and better albums as time went on, coming up at this album, which i feel is their best. This album manages to sound like a classic 80's heavy metal album, without sounding too dated, and for a band to have been around this long and manage to still stay relevant like that I've definitely gotta give them a lot of credit for that.

This album is one that is full of great songs, from the intense shredder Witchfinder General, to the cassical vibes of English Man o'War, to the epic war ballad Lionheart, and is definitely one that fans of classic metal and modern metal alike can enjoy.

Highly Recommended to: fans of Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, or any tradiontal heavy metal
Stand out tracks: Lionheart, Witchfinder General, To Live By The Sword, English Man O'War

#48. Rush - Moving Pictures (1981)

I almost don't really need to write up anything for this album, so I'll keep things brief.

This album is another that was quite important to my growth as a music fan, as it allowed me to get into prog-rock which eventually led to me getting into prog-metal bands like Symphony X, Dream Theater, Opeth, and so on.

An all around classic that I feel everyone who's a fan of rock, or hell music in in general, should listen to at least once, and is one that even in times I've burnt the hell out on Rush, I can still go back and enjoy just as I did when I was 13 and had just started listening to them.

Recommended to: Everyone
Stand out tracks: all of them pretty much, I can't really bring myself to choose.

That's all for my first update (I might post another one later today if any one is interested, since I have to go out of town tomorrow). I hope at least someone might be turned on to something new by this list.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 06:14:09 PM by BanksD »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: BanksD's Top 50 Albums v. Tl;dr
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 10:20:26 AM »
Okay, nice start!
What do you mean with 'No repeats' though?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline BanksD

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 10:21:59 AM »
Oh, by that I mean one album per band.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 10:25:29 AM »
So we're already out of Rush? :(
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline BanksD

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 10:28:59 AM »
Yes unfortunately. I wanted to put one or two other albums by them on here, but since I have so much I listen to and I had to condense it down to 50 albums, I had to limit myself to only picking one album per band so I didn't leave anything off.

And even then I probably still left an album or two off.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 10:47:34 AM »
So we're already out of Rush? :(

This. Great album and should be a lot higher.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 11:31:49 AM »
Wow,a great start.I will be following. Persuader sounds very interesting. I will check them out.I'm a huge Saxon fan so it's great to see Lionheart. It's a fantastic album, and is the one that basically got me excited about the band again. It was the first new Saxon release that I had made in about 15 years.

And Moving Pictures, of course, is perfect!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 12:24:50 PM »
Hey banksd, could i ask you to include each album's release year when you post them? It makes it much easier to update my database.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 12:33:48 PM »
Hey banksd, could i ask you to include each album's release year when you post them? It makes it much easier to update my database.

Alright no problem.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 12:35:41 PM »
You're off to a great start. The Rush album is one of the two Rush albums that I really enjoy (the other being A Farewell to Kings), and Saxon is really good. I really have to check out Persuader, I hope they are on Spotify...

Anyway, great start and carry on! I think that I will be liking this list.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 01:11:11 PM »

Alright no problem.

thanks

I'm going to have to check out Persuader.  Moving Pictures will definitely be in my top 50.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 03:37:59 PM »
wow. sounds like youve acquired quite the wealth of metal/music knowledge in the past 23 months!!

shall be following.  :corn

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 04:21:10 PM »
MP is top 10.
Saxon... on the check it out list already
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BanksD

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 04:43:45 PM »
Alright, since I just found out I won't be taking my computer to where I'm going on Saturday...I decided it'd be best to do an extra update today.

#47. Nevermore – This Godless Endeavor  (2005)

I love Thrash metal…and I also love prog-metal…and you know what happens when you combine them? You get godliness like Nevermore.

Nevermore’s formula of Thrashy Prog-metal worked well on previous albums, but somehow this album managed to capture a level of emotion and quality songwriting that had never been seen by them before, and a long with Warrel Dane’s unique vocal style the band managed to create their best, album, and sadly their last outstanding album.

The songs on this album have an odd character to them, one could say they were a culmination of all the things Nevermore had done previously into one nice “dish” so to speak

Anyone who’s a fan of metal and hasn’t heard this album should really give this one a listen, as it is widely regarded by many to be one of the best metal albums of all time, and definitely is worthy of such stature in my eyes.

Recommended to:  people who like prog-metal, and really anyone who likes metal in general, though Dane’s vocals may turn some people off
Stand out songs: Sentient #6, Born, This Godless Endeavor, Final Product

#46. Artillery – By Inheritance (1990)

Coming in at #48 here is one of my favorite thrash metal albums, and quite possibly one of the most underrated thrash albums in my opinion. Meanwhile around this time while bands like Megadeth and Metallica were starting to soften up, Artillery decided to come out and remind the world what thrash metal was about.

Sadly though not many heard, and to this day, despite the fact that this album has been listed by many metalheads as one of the best thrash albums of all time, this album as still not quite received much recognition.

The music on this album blends badass thrash riffs with middle eastern-esque melodies, and along with the high ranged vocals of Flemming Ronsdorf, makes this album a truly unique and memorable experience, and definitely  one of my favorite thrash metal albums.

Recommended to: Fans of 80’s thrash metal
Stand Out Tracks: Beneath The Clay, Khriomaniac, By Inheritance

#45. Neaera – Armmamentarium (2007)

A lot of people don’t think metalcore can be legitimately badass…a lot of people haven’t heard this album.

On this album…our band of merry Germans Neaera decided to go all out with all aspects of their music; the songwriting, the riffs, the melodies, the production, everything was amped up tenfold from their previous works, however what sticks out to me as the high point of this album are the vocals. Benjamin Hilleke manages not to come off as “just screaming for the sake of screaming” but as a man with a message to get out. The vocals on this album are some of the most angry and abrasive I’ve ever heard, and in some songs also manage to come off with a heightened sense of desperation (such as track 6 In Loss)

This album may not be for most, but anyone who’s heard metalcore and passed it up for being “To generic” or “trendy shit” really needs to give this album a try, and see if your mind isn’t changed.

Recommended to: anyone who likes there music extreme, but still really melodic
Stand out tracks: In Loss, Spearheading The Spawn, The Orphaning, Armamentarium

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 04:48:47 PM »
Yay for Nevermore!

Don't know the other two.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 05:13:16 PM »
I'm going to be the Nevermore arsehole. In my book, Dead Heart in a Dead World ranks higher than The Obsidian COnspiracy, though the latter definitely comes in second. Nice inclusion, and
Don't know the other two.
Squ

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 06:36:45 PM »
Never really checked out Artillary. Will do!

I have not been able to get into Nevermore.I have 2 or 3 of their CD's including This Godless Endeavor.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 06:39:24 PM »
great choices with Saxon, Rush and Nevermore.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, 02:05:51 AM »
Saxon and Rush  :tup

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 06:02:38 AM »
A lot of new stuff to check out, the only thing I've heard is Rush.

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2012, 10:08:29 AM »
You got the right Nevermore album, however I vehemently disagree with it being higher than Moving Pictures.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2012, 10:19:16 AM »
well since im an idiot i forgot to post today's update before i left this morming, so there won't be another update until Sunday unfortunately  :(

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2012, 12:06:10 PM »
tl;dr
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2012, 02:45:59 PM »
tl;dr

too long; dick reduction?

Sounds like a good problem to have.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2012, 01:47:13 PM »
Alright time for the next update!

#44. Nocturnal Rites – The 8th Sin (2007)

Sometimes you gotta stop and wonder, “why do they call Power Metal, Power Metal” Is it because the music evokes a sense of empowerment, is it because the music is powerful in nature? Well yeah stupid stop asking dumb questions.

But no seriously, if there ever was a “Power” metal album, this was it. The music, lyrics, and vocals on this album are all so emotionally driven that it really manages to move the listener, in a way I don’t feel a lot of power metal albums manage to do, but Nocturnal Rites went into the studio and managed to make power metal that was not only catchy, but at the same time very moving, without becoming cheesy.

Now while some may argue that older albums like Shadowland, and New world Messiah are better musically and more true to the power metal sound, and while those people do have a point, this album is one I have a really bias towards, as it’s one that’s helped me get through a lot, and has really been my go to album when I’ve got a case of “the feels”

Recommended to: Power/Heavy metal fans
Stand out tracks: Not The Only, Call Out To The World, Not Like you, Till I Come Alive

#43. Chthonic – Takasago Army (2011)

Hailing from Taiwan, Cthonic is a Melodic Folk/Black Metal band, and when I say black metal I don’t mean stupid kvlt Mayhem, Gorgoroth, buried under 10 tons of shitty productions black metal, I mean the Enslaved, Moonsorrow, really epic and moving black metal.

What was I talking about, oh yeah, Chthonic. These guys (and girl) have been making since their 1999 debut album, and I’ll be honest when I say it hasn’t been the greatest ride up to this album, sure their album Mirror of Retribution is pretty awesome, but this album is really when they’ve finally managed to get their style penned down.

The album is a themed album about World War II, and this album perfectly manages to capture the feeling of being at war, almost as if you could close your eyes and imagine yourself on the battlefield.

The vocals on this album may get a bit shrill at times to some, but like I said in my Armmamentarium write up, this is another case where you can look at the harsh vocals as an expression of emotion, instead of just “Harsh vocals for the sake of harsh vocals”

Reccomended to: Melodic Death metal fans, extreme metal fans
Stand out songs: Takao, Legacy of The Seediq, Broken Jade, Southern Cross

#42. Enslaved – Axioma Ethica Odini (2010)

More Black Metal…

This time, this band is a prog/black band. If I had to think of a comparison they’re basically Black Metal’s equivalent of Opeth, mixing extreme black metal sections with quieter clean sections, and they do it quite well I might add.

If there ever were an album that perfectly encapsulated the feeling of a harsh winter, this was one of them, hell even the album art looks like a head frozen in Ice.

Anyway this album is another case of “For a band to have been around this long and still be making their best work album after album” seeing as how Enslaved have been around since the early 90’s

tl;dr, this album is really good and if you don’t get annoyed by harsh vocals you should listen to it

Recommended to: people looking to get into black metal but not the bad kind, people who like Opeth
Stand out tracks: Ethica Odini, Waruun, Lightening

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 05:57:19 PM by BanksD »

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2012, 02:02:15 PM »
Nothing that I know, but I'll check out Nocturnal Rites.  :tup

Offline adace

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2012, 02:39:26 PM »
Enslaved  :metal

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2012, 02:52:24 PM »

Nocturnal Rits are a big fave of mine. One of the better power metal bands out there although the name put me off cos I thought they were a Death Metal band.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2012, 03:23:11 PM »

Nocturnal Rits are a big fave of mine. One of the better power metal bands out there although the name put me off cos I thought they were a Death Metal band.

It's actually funny you should mention that

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2012, 06:43:32 PM »
I've heard Nocturnal Rites; pretty good!  Not familiar with the other two.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2012, 07:34:34 PM »
Amazing choice for Nocturnal Rites, probably my fav album from them, I never understood why it got so many bad review.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2012, 12:26:12 PM »
#41. Heloween – The Keeper of The Seven Keys albums (1987/1988)

Okay so this is the one exception to my rule of “one album per band” but if you know these albums…it shouldn’t be hard to see why I’m including them as one.

However for those not familiar with Heloween, they were one of the first power metal bands, and these two albums, highly regarded as their crowning moments, are two of the first power albums ever made, and it certainly shows as these albums sound a lot less “refined” than a lot of modern power metal.

Michael kiske’s voice is certainly one of the most memorable metal voices, and Kai Hansen’s guitar work is outstanding, managing to perfectly blend elements of traditional metal and speed metal to form what is now known as power metal

A must have for any self-respecting metal fan

Recommended to: Any fan of metal
Stand out tracks (keeper I): I’m Alive, Halloween, A Little Time, Twilight of The Gods
Stand out tracks (Keeper II): Eagle Fly Free, I Want Out, Rise and Fall, Dr. Stein

#40. Death – Symbolic (1995)

By the time 1995 rolled around, Death had released 5 albums, and already made their mark on metal history, and by this point, most ordinaly bands would have faded into obscurity, broken up, or started releasing utter garbage…but Chuck Schuldiner and another idea in mind.

Instead, death decided to take it to the next level, compare the first song on this album (the title track Symbolic) to the first song off of the album Leprosy (released almost 10 years before) sure it’s still death metal and still essentially the same style, but Symbolic takes the level of technicality and intensity to an entirely new level

Usually on a Death album, the main musician you focus on is Chuck, however on this album, almost everyone deserves props for their work, especially then-future SYL drummer Gene Hoglan, who turns in one of, if not the best performances of this career.

The music is raw, intense, aggressive, and unapologetic, yet at the same time mature, technical, and progressive. Another must have for any fan of metal, even if you can’t stand harsh vocals I urge you to give this album a try, and this is an album that truly deserves your time and respect

Recommended to: any self-respecting metal head
Stand out tracks: Crystal Mountain, Symbolic, Zero Tolerance, Without Judgement

#39. The Devin Townsend Project – Addicted (2009)

My personal favorite out of all the DTP albums, and honestly of Devin Townsend’s work outside of  SYL (but more on them later ;) )

This album is about one thing and one thing only: fun

It doesn’t need to be heavy, it doesn’t need to be technical, it’s just a fun and upbeat experience that almost anyone can enjoy, even those who aren’t fans of metal!

There isn’t much more I can really say about this album other than, if you want something upbeat and happy, that doesn’t take a lot of thought  or patience to get into, I highly recommend giving it a listen.

Recommended to: prog fans, people looking for simple music to get into
Stand out tracks: Numbered!, Hyperdrive!, Resolve!, Awake!, Supercrush!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 06:04:08 PM by BanksD »

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2012, 12:28:03 PM »
Symbolic makes most other bands and albums labeled as death metal look like low-grade dog food.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2012, 12:36:02 PM »
Keeper is a great album. Addicted! made my top 10 so it's way too low in this list.  :)
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline BanksD

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2012, 12:39:07 PM »
I think it's probably too late to note this, but pretty much everything outside of the top 10 or 15 went through a lot of rotation when I was making the list, so it's basically all interchangeable