Author Topic: The Pineapple Thief  (Read 61530 times)

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Pineapple Thief
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2010, 11:33:35 AM »
Just bought Tightly Unwound.

Quite excited about hearing it after I heard some clips on Amazon.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2010, 03:06:12 PM »
Just bought Tightly Unwound.

Quite excited about hearing it after I heard some clips on Amazon.
Great CD acidrainlte.  Check out an early album called 137 next.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2010, 02:19:12 PM »
Just had a listen of it. Really liking "Shoot First" already :hat

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2010, 05:03:18 PM »
Just had a listen of it. Really liking "Shoot First" already :hat
Tightly Wound is the best song ;D

Offline thecrowing

• DTF's Resident Child of the Fence
  • Help me Cosmia; I'm grieving!
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2010, 05:20:26 PM »
Not that it's an insult, but the 10 or so hours I've spent listening to them forced me to come to the conclusion that Steven Wilson and Billy Corgan had a child. That child had favored Steven Wilson as a father over Billy.

Offline faemir

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2010, 06:54:56 AM »
That child had favored Steven Wilson as a father over Billy.

Good choice :P

Offline j

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2010, 07:37:30 AM »
Wow, I love this stuff.  Just got four of their albums: Little Man, What We Have Sown, Tightly Unwound, and Variations on a Dream.  The latter is my favorite so far, but they're all great.  Any others I should pick up?

-J

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2010, 08:18:50 AM »
Wow, I love this stuff.  Just got four of their albums: Little Man, What We Have Sown, Tightly Unwound, and Variations on a Dream.  The latter is my favorite so far, but they're all great.  Any others I should pick up?

-J

Get 137 and Abducting the Unicorn.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline faemir

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2010, 10:20:50 AM »
The Dawn Raids I and II EPs are definitely worth picking up.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2010, 04:11:51 PM »
The release date and artwork for the new album, Someone Here is Missing is confirmed. It's going to be released on May 24th, Kscope has started a mini-site for the album:
https://kscopemusic.com/thepineapplethief/someonehereismissing/

And there's already a way to pre-order it:
https://www.burningshed.com/store/kscope/collection/284/

Will be getting the vinyl + black T-shirt :D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2010, 04:54:08 PM »
The release date and artwork for the new album, Someone Here is Missing is confirmed. It's going to be released on May 24th, Kscope has started a mini-site for the album:
https://kscopemusic.com/thepineapplethief/someonehereismissing/

And there's already a way to pre-order it:
https://www.burningshed.com/store/kscope/collection/284/

Will be getting the vinyl + black T-shirt :D

I can't wait for is Darkes!!  BTW did you check the samples?

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2010, 06:24:20 PM »
Not yet. But I remember I watched a live recording of the song 3000 Days (they played it already a few times) and I really like it, sounded significantly different.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2010, 05:03:07 AM »
Anyone seen them live?
Any good?
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2010, 04:33:40 PM »
Not yet... But I've seen the setlist from the Bush Hall show three days ago - almost entire SHIM, and from older songs Too Much To Lose and We Love You among others... I pray they'll play these when I have a chance to see them.

I don't know if you've seen this, but there's a really interesting interview with Bruce linked from their site - https://www.studiomlive.com/reviews/soord.html . Plenty of interesting things there, including the question that has appeared here now and then:
Early in your career, some thought (myself included) that you sounded somewhat like Billy Corgan. But since probably Variations, that similarity has largely disappeared. Is this something you were even aware of?

Yeah, I have no idea why I was trying to sound like a more whinny and nasal Billy! At the time of Abducting I was obsessed with a Smashing Pumpkins album called 'Adore' so I think I was just trying to sound like that. I tried to tone it down on 137 and thankfully I've now just sound like Bruce Soord.

And I'm getting really impatient about Someone Here is Missing... I hope it arrives on Monday.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2010, 02:51:45 AM »
So has anyone in the US tried to order from their site and found that US states are not listed in the state field??

edit: Apparently it fixed itself.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 03:00:53 AM by Boba2Crash »
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline faemir

« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2010, 06:42:42 AM »
They played nearly all SHIM because it was the 'launch party' gig. That I unfortunately didn't have the money for :(

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2010, 06:51:14 AM »
Yes I know. The "I hope they'll play it" was for We Love You and Too Much to Lose, as for SHIM songs I'll find out in a few days :P

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2010, 09:14:04 AM »
So, has anyone got Someone Here is Missing already? I'm after three listens and I really like it. :) It's definitely more difficult and is going to need much more time to grow than Tightly Unwound and Little Man, but I can definitely see that coming. I know all the talk about "new era" and whatever in case of different bands is rather unoriginal and often makes little sense, but well, it really sounds like they're entering a new era. It's entirely different than anything from them I've ever heard before (only "The State We're In" has something I'd call "classic TPT feel") - much more energetic, rocking, also heavier. Also, it's the first time when they're using much more electronics, before they were reduced to the minimum, here they are more important - and it works rather nicely (and I'm a kind of person who definitely isn't a fan of electronic).

Favourites this far are Preparation for Meltdown (nice, complex and varied), 3000 Days (probably my favourite in general this far, really complex and powerful, might be also the heaviest TPT song ever...) and the closer, So We Row (totally unusual for the band, listen and you'll see). We'll see how it changes over time. :)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2010, 09:37:26 AM »
Haven't been able to get into these guys after 2-3 spins of Tightly Unwound, but maybe the new album will change that.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2010, 09:49:22 AM »
I might be wrong, but knowing your taste, I think Little Man is more likely to do that, it's more melancholic and softer.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2010, 09:54:09 AM »
Okay, you guys know my general likes, would I enjoy the new album? I've never heard these guys before.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2010, 10:33:17 AM »
IMO Tightly Unwound (the previous album) is the best starting point, but afaik we have some more experienced fans around here, they may give some better advice.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2010, 11:37:53 AM »
Nick If you like Radiohead you would like this band.  The new album is not as good as the last as stated by Darkes.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2010, 11:52:34 AM »
Haven't said not as good, just needs more time to grow. It's definitely not the right time to determine if it's better or worse yet.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2010, 02:16:15 PM »
Haven't said not as good, just needs more time to grow. It's definitely not the right time to determine if it's better or worse yet.
Sorry, Darkes.  I meant go with your sugestion of Tightly Unwound.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2010, 02:49:27 AM »
Yep, just wanted to make it clear. ;)

Btw, I really get to like SHIM more and more. It's entered the "not leaving my head" phase...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2010, 08:06:49 AM »
Yep, just wanted to make it clear. ;)

Btw, I really get to like SHIM more and more. It's entered the "not leaving my head" phase...

It's growing on me because I had some good drive time by myself so I could listen.  Sometimes at work it's in the background but I don't have the focus I want to for a band like Pineapple Thief deserves.

Offline limnides

• DTF.org Member
  • Dum vita est, spes est.
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2010, 06:09:36 AM »
clip
But anyhow, recommendations on where to go next (and yes I have the two new EPs, (tight wound acoustic :tup)

Variations of a Dream, hands down, my favourite album.  The latter half of Remember Us (08:56+) is absolutely brilliant.

Offline faemir

« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2010, 12:14:36 PM »
New album is still growing on me. Show a Little Love :metal

clip
But anyhow, recommendations on where to go next (and yes I have the two new EPs, (tight wound acoustic :tup)

Variations of a Dream, hands down, my favourite album.  The latter half of Remember Us (08:56+) is absolutely brilliant.

Bit late on the recommendation, I have most of their stuff now!

Offline limnides

• DTF.org Member
  • Dum vita est, spes est.
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2010, 01:07:01 PM »
Bit late on the recommendation, I have most of their stuff now!
Oh oh oh, I'm embarrassed.  I hadn't realised that this thread has been knocking around for that long - I didn't register the timestamp for what it actually was.  :c

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2010, 04:36:33 PM »
New album is still growing on me. Show a Little Love :metal
Yep, same here. Although 3000 Days definitely remains my favourite one, Preparation for Meltdown and So We Row are really close behind, all three excellent songs. Nothing at Best also proves to be an awesome opener (and I LOVE the acoustic version, it's amazing). But the album as a whole is growing, including some songs I didn't like that much at first (especially Waking Up the Dead and The State We're In).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2010, 05:14:27 PM »
These are the kinds of albums that stay with me a long time.  Theree is so much layers to peel and listen and soak in which is why a lot of us say it's growing on me, which it is.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2010, 05:25:39 PM »
What do others think about the song We Love You (closing track from Little Man)? I was incredibly impressed by it since hearing it for the first time, and now after around thirty more, it might be my favourite TPT song ever. I wonder because I've never seen it mentioned e.g. on TPT forums, usually it was either Remember Us, What We Have Sown or sometimes Too Much to Lose...

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2010, 06:04:29 AM »
Yeah, We Love You is a great song.  Little Man as a whole is fantastic.  I agree that Someone Here is Missing is a grower.  In fact, the only TPT album I liked a lot right away was What We Have Sown.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2010, 02:18:16 PM »
Great acoustic verson of Barely Breathing. Bruce solo. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1LGvQK6b20