Author Topic: The Pineapple Thief  (Read 61529 times)

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
The Pineapple Thief
« on: May 01, 2009, 08:45:43 AM »
I just got ahold of Tightly Unwound... :hefdaddy I was on last.fm radio recommendations and was skipping through, then stopped on Shoot First because I was impressed by the album art (:blush But it is an awesome album art right?)

My brother's had their albums for what, 4 years, and I had never heard any of their stuff. I feel like an absolute idiot, especially as when looking for their albums online I almost died when I saw abducting the Unicorn for £100 :|

But anyhow, recommendations on where to go next (and yes I have the two new EPs, (tight wound acoustic :tup))

Also, as amusing (and cool) as it was for them to change their name to avoid conflicting with 'PT' Porcupine Tree, I wish that last.fm would change :angry:

Offline Grapes Killed

• If I leave here tomorrow, would you still remember me?
Re: The Pineapple Thief
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 08:51:40 AM »
Work your way backwards.

I can't wait for the 2nd EP to be shipped from Burning Shed  :metal
Mikael Åkerfeldt doesn't talk in his sleep, he growls.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 08:59:38 AM »
The song Tightly Wound is a song I play over and over.  I love the sweeping sound of keyboards, acoustic guitar, And the hamrmonies for the chorus.  The album is a must have.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline faemir

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 09:44:41 AM »
Work your way backwards.

You mean the one I hold in my hand right now? :D

Offline Grapes Killed

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 10:34:34 AM »
Work your way backwards.

:police:

Did you get it from Burning Shed or from the band's website? It was available from the band's website before but I didn't order then because I didn't want to waste shipping cost (For the Burning Shed order, I ordered it with OSI's Free and PT's Signify (digibook!!)).

Offline faemir

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 10:46:46 AM »
Work your way backwards.

:police:

Did you get it from Burning Shed or from the band's website? It was available from the band's website before but I didn't order then because I didn't want to waste shipping cost (For the Burning Shed order, I ordered it with OSI's Free and PT's Signify (digibook!!)).

When I say I have the two new EPs, I did a swap with my friend (lightbulb sun reissue for both EPs) over the weekend. But he got them off the website which is now out of stock, if the EPs sell out on burningshed before next thursday I'm gonna break something...

Signify (digibook!!))

Wait, what?!

*dashes to the burningshed website*

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 10:53:58 PM »
Good band.  I like What We Have Sown the best of the three I've heard, but Little Man is a real grower.  Tightly Unwound seems a little weaker.

Offline Grapes Killed

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 01:33:01 AM »
I got an email from Burning Shed 14 hours ago...

The following items have been sent:
  1 x osi - free (special edition cd)
  1 x Porcupine Tree - Signify (2 CD)
  1 x The Pineapple Thief - The Dawn Raids 2 (CD EP)

:D

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 06:05:27 AM »
Would like to upgrade to "excellent" band.  Little Man is now my favorite, but the other three I've heard are very good/excellent too, including Tightly Unwound. 

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 06:09:01 AM »
I just got ahold of Tightly Unwound... :hefdaddy I was on last.fm radio recommendations and was skipping through, then stopped on Shoot First because I was impressed by the album art (:blush But it is an awesome album art right?)

My brother's had their albums for what, 4 years, and I had never heard any of their stuff. I feel like an absolute idiot, especially as when looking for their albums online I almost died when I saw abducting the Unicorn for £100 :|

But anyhow, recommendations on where to go next (and yes I have the two new EPs, (tight wound acoustic :tup))

Also, as amusing (and cool) as it was for them to change their name to avoid conflicting with 'PT' Porcupine Tree, I wish that last.fm would change :angry:

Huh!?!?  Why would they make something that expensive, is it like 150 songs or something???

Edit: Nvm, I assumed you were using iTunes or similar fare...
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 09:59:23 AM »
I don't know much about them but I really like their song call Shoot First. I don't have one of their album though. I just listen to that song on Youtube when I feel like it.
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 10:18:28 AM »
I wanted to make the same thread recently.

I also started from Tightly Unwound, it was a total surprise to me and a great album, Too Much To Lose is a masterpiece, but the album as a whole is nearly perfect. The Dawn Raids EPs are also very good, with February 13th being my definite favourite. But then, I got 3000 Days not long ago... I'm truly impressed by most of the songs appearing there, and I'm very interested in getting Variations on a Dream and Little Man (Part Zero, Remember Us, Vapour Trails and especially We Love You). Also, it's the best compilation album I've ever come across, it really feels like getting into the band's history, with the photos and the comments in the booklet... A great band, one I'm going to love when I get to know their discography better.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 11:17:30 AM »
They've got a very good website too.

https://www.pineapplethief.com/
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 03:29:51 PM »
^ that's got to be the best way of advertising I've ever seen :lol

More seriously, I've been there several times and I agree.

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 10:27:08 AM »
Love the sound of this band, very spacey.

Try the 8 days EP, really cool.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 05:42:36 PM »
My most listened to band by far lately.  Tightly Unwound gets better and better with each listen.  Brilliant!!

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 10:01:42 AM »
Listening to Tightly Unwound and I'm just realizing how good this band is. I had heard some of their stuff on youtube before but I just got their discography and it looks really better than I thought it would be.

Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 11:25:29 AM »
Listening to Tightly Unwound and I'm just realizing how good this band is. I had heard some of their stuff on youtube before but I just got their discography and it looks really better than I thought it would be.

They just came out with a Compalation album.  It's called 3000 days.  I have all of their CD's.  Very good band.

Offline faemir

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 11:43:57 AM »

It's worth picking up the two dawn raids EPs too to go with Tightly Unwound :)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 11:47:02 AM »
I only got Tightly Unwound, and i've only listened to it like 2 times, but it's neither yay or nay.
It's good music i guess, but not mindblowing for me. :p

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2009, 11:48:07 AM »
The only CD I can get my hands on by them is Tightly Unwound.
All the others can't be shipped here.m :'(

They have some really cool stuff though.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline faemir

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2009, 01:35:04 PM »
I only got Tightly Unwound, and i've only listened to it like 2 times, but it's neither yay or nay.
It's good music i guess, but not mindblowing for me. :p

From a big PT fan, this is surprising :-\

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2009, 02:21:51 PM »
Actually The Pineapple Thief is more different to Porcupine Tree than many people claim them to be. Sure, you can hear some occasional influences here and there, especially in some of the simpler songs reminding of songs like Trains and Bruce Soord's singing style can be similar to SW at times, but overall it's pretty much different. When I listened to the 3000 Days compilation (which is easily the best compilation I've ever seen, truly feels like a history of the band than just a "greatest hits" thing, especially that it even has 15-minute songs on it) I was surprised how original many of the songs are, like We Love You or Vapour Trails for example (which quickly became my favourites). And TPT is more oriented towards alternative than progressive than PT, also it isn't as dark and has more of an optimistic feeling.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2009, 03:48:47 PM »
Actually The Pineapple Thief is more different to Porcupine Tree than many people claim them to be. Sure, you can hear some occasional influences here and there, especially in some of the simpler songs reminding of songs like Trains and Bruce Soord's singing style can be similar to SW at times, but overall it's pretty much different. When I listened to the 3000 Days compilation (which is easily the best compilation I've ever seen, truly feels like a history of the band than just a "greatest hits" thing, especially that it even has 15-minute songs on it) I was surprised how original many of the songs are, like We Love You or Vapour Trails for example (which quickly became my favourites). And TPT is more oriented towards alternative than progressive than PT, also it isn't as dark and has more of an optimistic feeling.

Bruce's singing in the early years remind me a little bit like Billy Corgan.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2009, 04:09:56 PM »
I just downloaded all there stuff, I saw them mentioned in the Band Soup thread and skimmed by some songs, seems interesting enough lets see if I'll be putting some album orders.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2009, 04:16:21 PM »

I'm listening to the first EP right now and I completely agree.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2009, 04:20:17 PM »

I'm listening to the first EP right now and I completely agree.

Reap, you'll hear a great progresion of a band. I had one cd for a year, it didn't click, then I got the new album in 2008 and it all made sense.  Enjoy your listening.

Offline faemir

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2009, 02:44:52 PM »
Actually The Pineapple Thief is more different to Porcupine Tree than many people claim them to be

As you said, I always felt that TPT are sort of like PT but more alternative, with PT are more rock-ish. But they definitely give me the same vibe, and the fanbase crosses over quite a lot which says something :)

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2009, 10:35:18 PM »
 :omg: :omg:
I just looked at the prices of some of their earlier discography on amazon.
Due to the fact that they've been discontinued, they go for about 150-250$ each!!!!!!!!!!

I'll never own What We Have Sown
:'(

Offline faemir

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2009, 08:06:44 AM »
Maybe they'll start rereleasing everything like PT. Atleast they don't have thousands of Russian mafia knock off copies :lol

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2009, 10:23:30 AM »
I only have Little Man and I don't really like it. Sounds like I should get some more.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2009, 12:06:15 PM »
Maybe they'll start rereleasing everything like PT. Atleast they don't have thousands of Russian mafia knock off copies :lol
I've read somewhere they're planning to re-release Variations on a Dream, 10 Stories Down and Little Man. Similar to PT, remixed and with a bonus CD with fan remixes (as he said all unreleased tracks have already been released, and this is a good idea :P). I'm definitely looking forward, but planning to get them now, if possible.

Offline faemir

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2009, 12:38:56 PM »
I only have Little Man and I don't really like it. Sounds like I should get some more.

Their latest album is a lot more accessible. Not to mention better.

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2009, 12:57:59 PM »

Their latest album is a lot more accessible. Not to mention better.

A hundred times yes.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2009, 03:07:40 PM »
Well I've been non stop listening to these guy and I'm listening to 8 Days Later right now. I enjoy all of it, except 8 Days which could be looked over in my opinion. The First album is still my favorite though. Will report as I finish up the Discography.