Author Topic: The Pineapple Thief  (Read 61519 times)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: The Pineapple Thief
« Reply #175 on: August 20, 2011, 06:33:46 PM »
As much as I like "My Debt to You", I can't help but find it slightly overrated in TPT's catalog.
To me it would be TPT's version of a song like "Blackest Eyes", praised by many fans but it isn't better then the other songs or anything like that, just a very solid song.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #176 on: August 20, 2011, 06:35:19 PM »
Stop having the exact same musical opinions as me, it's getting scary.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #177 on: August 20, 2011, 06:35:43 PM »
Ian, Rich and I got to see them with Blackfield.

We win.

We got Anathema.

Sorry but actually we win.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #178 on: August 20, 2011, 06:36:50 PM »

Scary in a good way.  ;)

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #179 on: August 20, 2011, 06:38:05 PM »

Scary in a good way.  ;)

:laugh:

Ian, Rich and I got to see them with Blackfield.

We win.

We got Anathema.

Sorry but actually we win.

Man I don't even know which of those two I'd rather have

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #180 on: August 20, 2011, 06:56:50 PM »
Anathema was one of the best openers I've ever seen, and while I love TPT, the live videos I've seen from them weren't THAT amazing, so I think I'm actually glad we got Anathema... even if it was only two of them.  :laugh:

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #181 on: August 20, 2011, 06:58:04 PM »
we got an ACOUSTIC set from Anathema

my wallet got an insta-boner for their merch
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Liberation

« Reply #182 on: August 20, 2011, 08:48:44 PM »
As much as I like "My Debt to You", I can't help but find it slightly overrated in TPT's catalog.
To me it would be TPT's version of a song like "Blackest Eyes", praised by many fans but it isn't better then the other songs or anything like that, just a very solid song.
Well I haven't really had any contact with TPT fans so I don't really know which songs are praised :P personally I've always liked it mainly because it is different - doesn't sound like PT at all to me, if something slightly closer to Anathema but that also just slightly.

And really, live it was three times more amazing. It's hard to describe. (It was also a good choice because it was the only calm moment in an otherwise very intense set)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #183 on: August 22, 2011, 01:16:47 PM »
What are the lyrics during the very end of "So We Row", during the refrain? Looked on a couple sites, and they don't have the lyrics for the vocal section before "I've found a place where no one makes a sound"

HALP

Offline Liberation

« Reply #184 on: August 22, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »
They're not listed in the album booklet either. For me it sounds quite a lot like "I just want to stay within".

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #185 on: August 24, 2011, 10:33:53 AM »
AUGUST 24TH, 2011
UK TOUR ANNOUNCED | THE PINEAPPLE THIEF

In association with Mean Fiddler and Classic Rock Prog we are pleased to announce a series of UK dates this December.

07/12/11 – Fibbers, York
08/12/11 – MoHo Live, Manchester
10/12/11 –  Bodega Social Club, Nottingham
15/12/11 – Borderline, London

Joining us will be some special guests. More news to follow.

Tickets can be purchased at: https://www.ticketweb.co.uk/user?query=search&region=xxx&category=misc&search=the+pineapple+thief

So jelly.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #186 on: August 24, 2011, 10:36:03 AM »
Why aren't they coming to Scotland!  :(

Offline Slain

« Reply #187 on: August 24, 2011, 10:47:40 AM »
This band rocks. Listened to them for the first time today and I'm really enjoying it  :biggrin:
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #188 on: August 24, 2011, 08:02:07 PM »
3000 days is the best them.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #189 on: November 24, 2011, 06:22:42 AM »
Bump!

Been listening a lot to "Someone Here is Live" the last week, fantastic live-album.
Not only does it have a brilliant setlist, but I get the feeling that these guys put on a very special and a good live-show, which makes me want to see them live even more. :(

The setlist on the concert:

1. God Bless the Child
2. Tightly Wound
3. Wake Up the Dead
4. 3000 Days
5. Shoot First
6. Different World
7. All You Need to Know
8. My Debt to You
9. Counting the Cost
10. Part Zero
11. Preparation For Meltdown
12. Show a Little Love
13. So We Row
14. Too Much too Loose
15. Nothing at Best
16. I Will Light Up Your Eyes
17. Snowdrops

So yeah, really fantastic setlist.
The awesome part for me is that it has all my favorite songs from each of the newer albums, 3000 days from SHIM, Different World from Tightly Unwound, Snowdrops from Little Man and All You Need to Know from What We Have Sown.  :metal
There are maybe a few tunes I would love to hear/see, some from Little Man and maybe a few from Tightly Unwound, but all in all this a fantastic live album, anyone else heard it? If not, check it out!  :tup

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #190 on: November 24, 2011, 08:13:28 PM »
I'm still on my PRR sadness listening party, (they have an awesome live dvd), but will check this out soon.

Offline jag66

« Reply #191 on: November 25, 2011, 04:19:02 AM »
Trying to decide whether to see these guys in York in a couple of weeks. If they play that setlist i'd be pretty happy. I only have the 3000days compilation and the latest album though, but most of the songs there I know.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #192 on: November 25, 2011, 05:59:31 AM »
You really should see them!
I want to.. so bad. :(

Offline faemir

« Reply #193 on: November 25, 2011, 08:18:13 AM »
I saw them live supporting Blackfield, they are pretty awesome live, Bruce especially.

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #194 on: November 25, 2011, 12:25:14 PM »
Yeah, Bruce is a maniac live ^^

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #195 on: December 08, 2011, 04:07:21 AM »
I went to see them in York last night, great gig. Really relaxed atmosphere, first gig I've been to in a long time where people haven't ran straight up to the barrier when getting into the club (we nonchalantly wandered up there after the support and there was still loads of space left). The support were okay for their genre but didn't really have anything in common with Pineapple Thief at all. The sound was pretty muddy, but then I was right at the front. Setlist was pretty good, played about four or five songs from the current album (my favorite) about four or five new songs (which I always find a MAJOR buzz kill at a gig cos there's just no way you can 'get into' a new song that you're hearing for the very first time enough to really appreciate it as much as you'd appreciate a song you already love in its space, but I know I'm pretty alone in that view). Overall was a really good gig, not one that I'd put in a top ten or anything and I don't know if I'd travel much further to see them again, depending on how good the album next year is. But a change to be able to drive for an hour and get to a decent gig of a band I love instead of hours down the motorway.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline jag66

« Reply #196 on: December 08, 2011, 08:52:16 AM »
I went to see them in York last night, great gig. Really relaxed atmosphere, first gig I've been to in a long time where people haven't ran straight up to the barrier when getting into the club (we nonchalantly wandered up there after the support and there was still loads of space left). The support were okay for their genre but didn't really have anything in common with Pineapple Thief at all. The sound was pretty muddy, but then I was right at the front. Setlist was pretty good, played about four or five songs from the current album (my favorite) about four or five new songs (which I always find a MAJOR buzz kill at a gig cos there's just no way you can 'get into' a new song that you're hearing for the very first time enough to really appreciate it as much as you'd appreciate a song you already love in its space, but I know I'm pretty alone in that view). Overall was a really good gig, not one that I'd put in a top ten or anything and I don't know if I'd travel much further to see them again, depending on how good the album next year is. But a change to be able to drive for an hour and get to a decent gig of a band I love instead of hours down the motorway.

What older stuff did they play? Was goign to go but couldn't make it unfortuntely.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #197 on: December 08, 2011, 11:54:03 AM »
They finished with Remember Us, played My Debt To You and Snowdrops. Otherwise it was pretty much just SHIM and the net album.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #198 on: December 08, 2011, 12:13:02 PM »
... four or five new songs (which I always find a MAJOR buzz kill at a gig cos there's just no way you can 'get into' a new song that you're hearing for the very first time enough to really appreciate it as much as you'd appreciate a song you already love in its space, but I know I'm pretty alone in that view).

Just chiming it to say I support you on that one, I don't like to hear a song for the first time live since I appreciate it more when I know what's going to happen musically and I can focus on a certain instrument or a certain event within a section.

It's the same feeling I have when I attend a concert of a band I've never heard before, everything is so new I can only soak so much of the music. For example, I've seen Opeth and Dream Theater before I became a fan of them - now I look at the setlist of those concerts and I see songs that I love but I can't remember anything about them from the concert because they were new to me and as such I couldn't commit them to memory.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #199 on: December 08, 2011, 12:14:08 PM »
I think playing one or two new songs can be cool though.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #200 on: December 08, 2011, 12:17:39 PM »
I don't know, in one way I think it's cool if they are like "we're gonna play something brand new", but if it comes to several songs, it can become a buzz kill.
Not really linked with the quality on the new material, but I appreciate something more if I've heard it a few times and know it "well", then hearing something for the first time.

Also... Snowdrops.  :heart

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #201 on: December 08, 2011, 01:58:51 PM »
... four or five new songs (which I always find a MAJOR buzz kill at a gig cos there's just no way you can 'get into' a new song that you're hearing for the very first time enough to really appreciate it as much as you'd appreciate a song you already love in its space, but I know I'm pretty alone in that view).

Just chiming it to say I support you on that one, I don't like to hear a song for the first time live since I appreciate it more when I know what's going to happen musically and I can focus on a certain instrument or a certain event within a section.

It's the same feeling I have when I attend a concert of a band I've never heard before, everything is so new I can only soak so much of the music. For example, I've seen Opeth and Dream Theater before I became a fan of them - now I look at the setlist of those concerts and I see songs that I love but I can't remember anything about them from the concert because they were new to me and as such I couldn't commit them to memory.

Oh good :) Yeah I'm the same, I don't bother going to see much live music of random bands, I just go see my favourite bands when they tour (not done too bad so far... Dream Theater x8/Porcupine Tree x4/Muse x3/System of a Down x2/Symphony X x3/Blackfield x1/The Pineapple Thief x2/Opeth x1/Tool x1/Metallica x1).

I remember at a PT gig a few years back they played Anesthetize, I've seen it since I've been into the song since, but to think I stood and heard it and felt not too much... It also doesn't really make any sense that bands wanna debut the new material for feedback, as every crowd is gonna 'wooh!' and 'yay!' without even being able to take any of it in. I was incensed during the DT 'Evening with...' tours where I had to sit for half the show listening to other bands' music, total fail for me.

Offline faemir

« Reply #202 on: December 10, 2011, 05:31:21 PM »
To be fair, most of FoaBP was tested on the Arriving Somewhere... tour (not the Deadwing tour), and thus Cheating the Polygraph was taken out and Way Out of Here was added.

So it can work too.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #203 on: December 10, 2011, 09:44:50 PM »
I love hearing new songs live. Keeps performances interesting to me...

Oh, and I really wanna see TPT live! Hoping they'll tour the US eventually

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #204 on: June 23, 2012, 09:37:56 AM »
Burning Shed has preorders up for the new album here.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #205 on: June 23, 2012, 09:54:43 AM »
Really excited about the new album.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #206 on: June 23, 2012, 09:59:39 AM »
Really excited about the new album.

Saw it yesterday.  I'm with you.  I can't wait.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Bongasti

« Reply #207 on: September 04, 2012, 09:28:38 AM »
Did anyone else pick up the album yet? I got mine today, and listened to it once. I'll obviously have to give it a few more spins before rating it, but it seemed pretty good after the first one. There are a couple tracks that I didn't like, but maybe they will click later.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: September 04, 2012, 12:23:08 PM »
Did anyone else pick up the album yet? I got mine today, and listened to it once. I'll obviously have to give it a few more spins before rating it, but it seemed pretty good after the first one. There are a couple tracks that I didn't like, but maybe they will click later.

I will this week at some time.  Can't wait to hear it!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: September 04, 2012, 07:31:43 PM »
2 listens in and I'm loving this new CD.  So far Last Man Standing and Someone Pull Me Out are my favs.