Author Topic: The Pineapple Thief  (Read 63217 times)

Offline goo-goo

Re: The Pineapple Thief
« Reply #385 on: February 22, 2022, 06:08:20 PM »
New TPT single

https://youtu.be/ZUx7Lr9QTLM

It's actually not a new song. It's a reworked version from previous albums with the Gavin Harrison redo. Pretty quite interesting since I loved the interpretations by Gavin on the older songs on the live albums TPT has released with Gavin on drums.

https://kscopemusic.com/artists/thepineapplethief/

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #386 on: May 27, 2022, 12:31:21 PM »
Short notice, but if anyone in the LA area is interested in seeing their show at the El Rey tonight I have an extra ticket that would otherwise go to waste, send me a message if you'd like it!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #387 on: May 27, 2022, 02:13:42 PM »
Btw, saw them in Austin. Phenomenal show. If they play by your vicinity, don't miss the chance to see them.

Offline Fonzie

« Reply #388 on: April 21, 2023, 03:36:42 AM »
https://burningshed.com/store/thepineapplethief/the-pineapple-thief_how-did-we-find-our-way_boxset

New boxset coming. First 5 albums, plus demos etc

I’m a newcomer to the Pineapple Thief, so all of this will be new to me. Will it be any good?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #389 on: April 21, 2023, 04:22:27 AM »
https://burningshed.com/store/thepineapplethief/the-pineapple-thief_how-did-we-find-our-way_boxset

New boxset coming. First 5 albums, plus demos etc

I’m a newcomer to the Pineapple Thief, so all of this will be new to me. Will it be any good?

They are a lot more melancholy back then but real enjoyable. One Three Seven (137) is my favorite from the early era.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #390 on: April 21, 2023, 05:39:41 AM »
I like their older stuff a lot more than the last few albums. Variations on a Dream is probably my favorite album of theirs but Little Man is pretty close and 137 is pretty darn great as well.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #391 on: April 21, 2023, 06:03:47 AM »
First song I heard from them was "Remember Us" from Variations on a Dream, and that is still my favorite song by them.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #392 on: April 22, 2023, 04:29:02 AM »
I've been remiss in not checking these guys out, which album should I start with?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #393 on: April 22, 2023, 06:12:27 AM »
I've been remiss in not checking these guys out, which album should I start with?

They have such a great progression  Bill.  Start from the beginning.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #394 on: April 24, 2023, 07:44:44 PM »

I personally didn’t really get into them listening to their older stuff. Your Wilderness is the album that opened up their music for me and still my favorite up to this date.
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

Offline jammindude

« Reply #395 on: April 25, 2023, 07:07:53 AM »
I’ve been meaning to check out more of their stuff as well. The first album I heard was Tightly Unwound and that album is absolutely amazing. Still spin it on a regular basis.  But then I picked up Variations on a Dream and it was just ok. I’ve been meaning to check out the stuff with Gavin and I just haven’t gotten around to it yet.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #396 on: April 25, 2023, 07:55:59 AM »
I have said it before, but while I like this band, I find all of their albums to be very hit or miss. The good songs are often quite good, but it can take a lot of work and having to deal with a lot of skippable songs to get there.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #397 on: January 12, 2024, 06:38:11 PM »
These guys have a new album coming up on Feb 9th
The Pineapple Thief - It Leads To This
They released a single on January 4th
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzZxavCIOng

The album is available for review

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #398 on: January 12, 2024, 06:43:26 PM »
I'm so jacked for it.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: January 13, 2024, 03:30:00 AM »
Preordered the artbook....
Love these guys.

Have seen them live on the two previous tours. Unfortunately it looks like I will miss out this time as there are no dates in Sweden announced.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #400 on: February 09, 2024, 07:29:45 AM »
*bump

TPT release day! Playing it right now as we speak.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: February 09, 2024, 08:06:28 AM »
Man, the songwriting is so damn strong on this album.  I loved it. 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #402 on: February 09, 2024, 08:07:10 AM »
Didn't even know they had a new album. Will listen to it now
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: February 09, 2024, 08:15:17 AM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #404 on: February 09, 2024, 10:34:18 AM »
Listening now
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #405 on: February 11, 2024, 08:59:40 AM »
Just listened to the new album. It's really good. I felt it started really strong, too.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #406 on: February 11, 2024, 09:11:26 AM »
Listening now
Never followed up here.

I really enjoyed this album. Interesting composition and tasty playing everywhere.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: February 11, 2024, 09:23:04 AM »
Listening now
Never followed up here.

I really enjoyed this album. Interesting composition and tasty playing everywhere.

It's definitely an album you have to listen, multiple times to catch the nuances. 

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #408 on: February 13, 2024, 05:10:23 PM »
listened to the record. it's fine, but i wish they would actually make use of Gavin Harrison's insane skills. having him do straightforward percussion balladry is kinda wasting the talent :/
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: February 13, 2024, 05:36:42 PM »
listened to the record. it's fine, but i wish they would actually make use of Gavin Harrison's insane skills. having him do straightforward percussion balladry is kinda wasting the talent :/

Wut?

« Reply #410 on: February 13, 2024, 05:38:18 PM »

Wut?

i just want a song with long prog instrumentals so he can show off the chops a bit. TPT has become very short formed over the years, moving in a more radiohead direction and away from the porcupine tree influence of their roots (which, again is fine, the album is good, i just wish they'd use him more)
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: February 13, 2024, 05:43:03 PM »
He's amazing even in short bursts on this album. This album is amazing. 

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #412 on: February 13, 2024, 09:52:57 PM »
Lots of prog bands have tons of long epic tracks.  I like that TPT are mostly 4 minute songs with one 10 minute one thrown in.  It almost feels like their niche.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #413 on: February 13, 2024, 10:39:40 PM »
I've only had the chance to listen once and wasn't that excited over it, since Versions Of The Truth was such an amazing album. But of course I'll listen back and see what I've missed during the first listen.
any rock can be made to roll

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #414 on: February 14, 2024, 09:31:02 AM »
I feel its another mid album from them sadly and I agree about Gavin being kinda wasted. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is bad, it's fine. But it's a shame that Gavin joined after the band made their best albums and I feel like their best work would have been elevated by his drumming. The earlier albums that had longer proggier songs or just more of a guitar sound. Most of their recent albums just feel like the band trying to make Radiohead light rock albums and they could have had anyone drum on this album. That's not me saying Gavin performs bad on this album but he's not being thrown anything remotely interesting or tricky to work with.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #415 on: February 14, 2024, 09:54:00 AM »

Wut?

i just want a song with long prog instrumentals so he can show off the chops a bit. TPT has become very short formed over the years, moving in a more radiohead direction and away from the porcupine tree influence of their roots (which, again is fine, the album is good, i just wish they'd use him more)
For me, you can find that kind of music anywhere, as can Gavin, if that's what he wanted.

But this has just very tasteful playing by an absolute master.  If he wanted it "progged up" it would be.

« Reply #416 on: February 14, 2024, 09:56:39 AM »

Wut?

For me, you can find that kind of music anywhere, as can Gavin, if that's what he wanted.

But this has just very tasteful playing by an absolute master.  If he wanted it "progged up" it would be.

fair, if he's happy then he's happy. i just wanna see him hit a cymbal and put it in water tho
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #417 on: February 14, 2024, 11:48:30 AM »
It's weird that people say Gavin's skills aren't "made use of" enough on this album, because it's not like he's being given stuff to play along to and show off his skills. It's himself and Bruce who write all the tracks.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #418 on: February 15, 2024, 04:04:15 PM »
It's funny to me, I absolutely LOVE Gavin as a drummer, he's one of my all time favorites, but I'm never able to connect with the bands he's involved with. Whether it's Porcupine Tree or The Pineapple Thief, it just doesn't click with me.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #419 on: February 15, 2024, 05:47:30 PM »
I get slight Mutemath vibes from this album. I like that.

Intro song keeps hooking me and the rest flows well. Top album of 2024 so far.