Author Topic: The Pineapple Thief  (Read 63146 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The Pineapple Thief
« Reply #350 on: November 25, 2019, 07:23:34 PM »
Dammit! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #351 on: December 09, 2019, 09:30:55 AM »
Went to the Phoenix show last night and it was outstanding. Setlist flowed really well. Bruce was having issues with his in-ear monitors and Gavin, John, Steve and George started playing elevator music. Then Gavin stepped up into the mic and pulled a joke and magic trick while they were waiting to sort Bruce's issues.

If you guys have a chance to check them out, please do so. You won't regret. Just watching Gavin play was jaw-dropping.

Remaining dates:
-LA - Dec 9 (today)
-San Francisco Dec 10
-Portland Dec 12
-Vancouver Dec 13
-Seattle Dec 14

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #352 on: December 09, 2019, 12:01:00 PM »
I have come around a little bit on a few of the songs from the newest album.  White Mist and Threatening War are both really, really good, and Try As I Might and Shed a Light are both good as well.  Seems like this band always releases albums that are half good/half forgettable, but the good stuff is usually good, with the occasional really good/great tune.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #353 on: December 09, 2019, 12:05:11 PM »
White Mist and Threatening War are both great, but I think my favorite from the album is Far Below (which sounded really great live).

I was hoping they would play "All that you got", but that didn't happen. I was still very pleased with the song selection.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #354 on: December 09, 2019, 10:23:52 PM »
I have come around a little bit on a few of the songs from the newest album.  White Mist and Threatening War are both really, really good, and Try As I Might and Shed a Light are both good as well.  Seems like this band always releases albums that are half good/half forgettable, but the good stuff is usually good, with the occasional really good/great tune.
Gavin makes White Mist what it is for me. There's nothing really to the song, but his foot pulsing on the hi-hat towards the end, tom tom accents, etc. He does a really good job on that track. The part at 9:21 really sticks out to me for some reason.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #355 on: December 10, 2019, 08:24:00 AM »
Maybe it's because Porcupine Tree is way better than The Pineapple Thief, but Harrison's playing, while really good, has not wowed me on either record he has done with the latter.  His playing in songs like Cheating the Polygraph, Bonnie the Cat, Anesthetize and The Sound of Muzak still floors me at times (in the studio, live he always overplays too much for me), and I just never get that feeling with the TPT material.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #356 on: December 11, 2019, 12:05:52 AM »
His drumming for them doesn't blow me away either, just he really sticks out to me in White Mist for some reason.

Gavin's a great drummer, but he really reuses a lot of the same tricks; ie use of splashes, his custom chimes, tom flams and such. We've kind of heard it all from him. Porcupine Tree is and probably will be his greatest work. His playing on Anesthetize (the track, and studio version only--can't stand the live version of it for some reason) is so damn good to me.

So I guess to me, TPT is just kinda Gavin by Numbers, nothing new or different, just his identifiable sound. I know it's him playing. It's not a knock on him, just what I hear.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #357 on: December 11, 2019, 05:18:02 AM »
Porcupine Tree is and probably will be his greatest work.

Probably so, yes. And I can't help but have the feeling that he still feels like a "guest" musician, rather than a full band member. Maybe because both the band and the drummer were already established and quite well-known before they came together.

It's like we all know Portnoy's best work was with Dream Theater, and the number of times he tries to tell us otherwise doesn't alter the fact. Same goes with Gavin. Still it's good to hear him on albums again. He's too talented not to have a regular presence on albums.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #358 on: December 11, 2019, 07:36:56 AM »
Still it's good to hear him on albums again. He's too talented not to have a regular presence on albums.

Completely agree.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #359 on: December 11, 2019, 07:47:36 AM »
I  have to disagree. Gavin also came in into Porcupine Tree, which was already an established band. Same thing with The Pineapple Thief. Having seen Gavin play with Porcupine Tree, King Crimson, and Pineapple Thief, I can see that he is having more fun with PT and TPT than with KC. Playing with TPT and PT was less stressful and less demanding compared to King Crimson. Now, having said that, he was playing his balls off with Pineapple at the show I saw on Sunday. I think you can hear GH's contributions on both TPT albums if you compare the last two efforts with Gavin with Magnolia. He has more creative input than with Porcupine Tree based on his answers in the VIP session.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #360 on: December 11, 2019, 08:51:09 AM »
Gavin in TPT is nice because he adds an element but for me as a long time TPT fan (listened to them for almost a decade) it's just a shame that their albums have gotten weaker overall to me. I think their best albums between 2003 and 2010 and while I'm sure Gavin lifts their performance live, I haven't really liked one of their albums since Someone Here is Missing. The 4 albums they have made since haven't been BAD, they just haven't really impressed me either.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #361 on: December 11, 2019, 09:56:10 AM »
Having seen Gavin play with Porcupine Tree, King Crimson, and Pineapple Thief, I can see that he is having more fun with PT and TPT than with KC. Playing with TPT and PT was less stressful and less demanding compared to King Crimson.

No one joins King Crimson cos they want to have fun. :P

Offline pfillion

« Reply #362 on: June 18, 2020, 08:47:48 AM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #363 on: June 18, 2020, 09:39:09 PM »
Pretty average tune, but I am sure there will be a few good ones on the album.  I pretty much find all of their albums to be pretty hit or miss, so this lead single being kind of blah doesn't surprise me.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #364 on: July 15, 2020, 02:34:53 PM »
The Pineapple Thief release video for new single Break It All (Much better than the 1st single in my opinion)

https://youtu.be/7nooe94rQ2Q

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #365 on: July 16, 2020, 04:07:23 PM »
The Pineapple Thief release video for new single Break It All (Much better than the 1st single in my opinion)

https://youtu.be/7nooe94rQ2Q

Gavin Harrison's drumming was pretty rad in that, but the song itself was as bland as the first single.  Hoping for some good deep cuts at least from this effort.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #366 on: August 06, 2020, 07:40:23 AM »

Offline pfillion

Offline pfillion

« Reply #368 on: September 01, 2020, 01:23:48 PM »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #369 on: September 04, 2020, 07:13:21 AM »
Superb album. Might be my AOTY  :metal

Offline pfillion

« Reply #370 on: September 04, 2020, 09:00:58 AM »
Superb album. Might be my AOTY  :metal

+1, I think it's their best album since Gavin joined the band.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #371 on: September 09, 2020, 05:43:57 AM »
I'm very excited for this one. I hope Gavin Harrison never leaves this band. In my opinion, his playing makes every song better.

This summer/fall has so many great albums coming out  :metal At least one good thing about 2020.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #372 on: September 09, 2020, 05:47:11 AM »
I'm very excited for this one. I hope Gavin Harrison never leaves this band. In my opinion, his playing makes every song better.

This summer/fall has so many great albums coming out  :metal At least one good thing about 2020.
I fully agree. And listenable. (as with Porcupine Tree, their pre-Gavin era was just a mess as well (concerning the execution of the material at the time, not necessarily the songwriting IMHO.) I enjoy the production of their Gavin-era albums a lot too, including Versions Of The Truth. Very dynamic.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline emtee

« Reply #373 on: September 10, 2020, 09:21:25 AM »
Very enjoyable listen (Thanks Goo Goo) and I had no idea Gavin Harrison was now part of this band. Nice surprise.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #374 on: September 10, 2020, 09:27:48 AM »
Very enjoyable listen (Thanks Goo Goo) and I had no idea Gavin Harrison was now part of this band. Nice surprise.
he has been with them ever since the Your Wilderness album which came out in 2016.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #375 on: September 10, 2020, 12:33:10 PM »
I am not a huge PT fan, but I enjoyed this album quite a bit.  VERY good album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #376 on: February 09, 2021, 07:35:26 PM »
So, I’ve heard of this band but never anything by them.  Suggest a first album to try for me please.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #377 on: February 09, 2021, 07:56:19 PM »
Mason, Tightly Unwound.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #378 on: February 10, 2021, 08:27:50 AM »
So, I’ve heard of this band but never anything by them.  Suggest a first album to try for me please.

I think the master Gavin Harrison is essential for their sound. I'd strongly recommend starting with one of the three latest albums:

Your Wilderness
Dissolution
Versions Of The Truth
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #379 on: February 10, 2021, 08:32:55 AM »

I think the master Gavin Harrison is essential for their sound. I'd strongly recommend starting with one of the three latest albums:

Your Wilderness
Dissolution
Versions Of The Truth

I agree. That includes the live albums Where We Stood and Hold Our Fire. (pre Gavin-era TPT isn't remotely as interesting musically. Or clean for that matter.)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #380 on: February 10, 2021, 09:45:29 AM »
I think their best are in the past, Variations on a Dream, Little Man and What We Have Sown.

While Gavin has definitely added quality to the band, the songwriting just hasn't been as strong in the last decade or so IMO.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #381 on: April 23, 2021, 08:16:15 PM »
What a great stream! Anyone else catch it?

Offline pfillion

« Reply #382 on: April 23, 2021, 08:26:22 PM »
I saw the first half of the stream yesterday.  I was blown away by the video and sound quality. 

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: April 24, 2021, 03:21:32 AM »
What a great stream! Anyone else catch it?

I did and it further cemented my love for the band.

Hope the concert in Stockholm in March 2020 will work out

Offline pfillion

« Reply #384 on: February 22, 2022, 04:20:05 PM »