Author Topic: The Most Famous Person Alive  (Read 25369 times)

Offline RuRoRul

Re: The Most Famous Person Alive
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2012, 06:39:33 AM »
Obama is the leader of America and seems to be a particularly famous one. Lets say the entirety (or as close to it as is possible) of North America know who he is. We can probably throw in basically all of Europe as well. Australia and other Westernised countries too. Do people in South America know much about the USA? I'm not really sure, but from what little I know I'd imagine a decent portion of people in Central and South America stand a good chance of having heard of Obama.

People in the Middle East stand a decent chance of having heard of the leader of the USA, given its activities there. I'm sure plenty of Japanese people know who he is as well. As for China and India? I don't really have any idea, as I don't really know anyone who lives there so have no clue what the average citizen of those countries knows about the rest of the world. But given the pervasiveness of America in the media and the general ignorance of people in the West about other cultures, my guess is that knowledge of the USA is at least as penetrative of China and India as knowledge about those countries is penatrative of USA and other Western countries (i.e. it's unlikely the people in the west know more about Chinese and Indian culture than they know about Western culture). I don't know if there is one figure who is universally known across both India and China - if there is then there's probably a decent chance that could be the most famous person in the world. But if figures are only likely to be universally known within one or the other of those countries, I think it's unlikely they'd be the most famous person in the world - someone universally known within China but relatively unknown outside it would only be known by a billion and a half people. And given the large proportion of people in India and China living in completely rural areas, the chances of any one person so pervasively known aren't as high - especially across both countries.

I completely get that the entire world isn't America, and people in third world countries may not know anything about America, and that places like China and India may have lots of people who don't either, and they make up nearly half the world's population. And I get that my knowledge of famous people is just that of someone from the UK. But I'd still make the case that someone like Obama is very likely the most famous living person in the world. The people who have not heard of him are more likely to be people disconnected from the worldwide media, and hence are unlikely to have any single person known to all of them. And America is the biggest media-whore, so if people know anything about worldwide affairs, it's likely they'll know at least something about the USA. Hell, the most famous person in the world could theoretically be known to only a small proportion of the world population, if the rest of the people in the world don't share knowledge of any other single person.

Edit: The Pope and The Queen are decent candidates as well. For The Pope though, how many people in the world could actually tell you the current Pope's name offhand? Significantly less than people who know the title exists, I'll guess.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2012, 06:41:30 AM »
What the fuck is a Messi? I've never even heard of this dude until this thread, so I don't know how he could be the most famous person in the world. But is there anyone here at all who hasn't heard of the Queen or the Pope? I doubt you could avoid knowing of them even if you tried, they're that well known. And I can't imagine anywhere where people are familiar with a sports player, but not the Queen and the Pope.

Plus even though soccer is the most popular sport in the world, USA still doesn't relatively care as much for it as far as I know (and we seem to have plenty of US people in here who have never heard of him, which would support that), and there are other countries too. Sport is always going to be a regional thing.
When it comes to soccer, the only guys I've even heard of are Beckham, Pele and Maradona, and I would only recognize one of those on the street.

edit: And I can't speak for any other country, but even though I'm from Australia, the American president is always big news here, and there is nobody who would not be familiar with him. I'm sure the same holds true for many other places too.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2012, 06:44:15 AM »
The people, who haven't heard of Messi; here are MLB/NBA/NFL-players/ex-players I can remember:

MLB
Babe Ruth
Mark McGwire

NBA
Wilt Chamberlain
Larry Bird
Michael Jordan
"Magic" Johnson
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Kobe Bryant
Shaq O'Neill
Paul Davis
Jeremy Li
Pau Gasol

NFL
Peyton Manning
Eli Manning
Dan Marino (Ace Ventura  :laugh:)

I know more, but I just don't remember them now. Basketball is medium-sized sport here, so I know something about it.

Your sports are weird, says the other world.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 06:49:18 AM by Ruba »

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert

Offline Ruba

« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2012, 06:48:40 AM »
I'm sorry, I know his real name, but I mistyped it  :facepalm:.

E: This is really an interesting topic.

Even though Obama probably is the most famous, is he, or the other candidates known in North Korea, which is still very isolated. But I don't think that Kim Jong-Un, who is the only "celeb" there, is well-known for example in Southern Africa. But Obama and co. are still very famous, even though appr. 24 million people don't know about them.

But who is the most famous musician? Maybe McCartney. ABBA members aren't as famous, but how about Madonna?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 06:54:53 AM by Ruba »

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2012, 06:50:14 AM »
I'm sorry, I know his real name, but I mistyped it  :facepalm:.

:) I don't like basketball, but Kareem is the shit.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2012, 06:58:28 AM »
My guesses would be Obama or Lady Gaga. I know for a fact that five year old kids here in Taiwan know who Obama is.

Michael Jackson would've dominated this while still alive though. I wear a hat everywhere I go, and a few weeks ago, when walking into work, I had a four year old kid call me Michael Jackson. MJ's been dead almost as long as he's been alive, and the kid still knew who he was.

Never heard of Messi in my life.

Kosmo

« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2012, 07:00:05 AM »
Obama is the safest bet.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2012, 07:02:05 AM »
My guesses would be Obama or Lady Gaga. I know for a fact that five year old kids here in Taiwan know who Obama is.

Michael Jackson would've dominated this while still alive though. I wear a hat everywhere I go, and a few weeks ago, when walking into work, I had a four year old kid call me Michael Jackson. MJ's been dead almost as long as he's been alive, and the kid still knew who he was.

Never heard of Messi in my life.
Michael Jackson was my pick for this when I was asked a few years ago, before his death.

I know who Messi is but I really don't think he could be the most famous - football is extremely popular here but I still know as many people who don't know or care about football at all as there are people who follow it, and it's likely many of those people will have never heard of Messi.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2012, 07:31:29 AM »
united states =/= the whole world.

But I could say the same thing about the Queen and the UK. The most known people in the world have to be the US President, the Queen, and the Pope.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2012, 07:42:59 AM »
Anybody suggesting Messi must be out of their mind.

Barack Obama is indeed the correct answer.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2012, 08:39:04 AM »

Why? He is the most popular sports player nowadays. He even got named the most influential person in 2012 by Time magazine. The thing about sports it that it goes beyond countries, language, social class or age. I doubt there are lots of kids around the world that are interested in politics enough to know who Obama is.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2012, 08:47:44 AM »

Why? He is the most popular sports player nowadays. He even got named the most influential person in 2012 by Time magazine. The thing about sports it that it goes beyond countries, language, social class or age. I doubt there are lots of kids around the world that are interested in politics enough to know who Obama is.

You don't need to care about politics to know who Obama is. If you don't care about soccer, you very likely don't know who Messi is. We've already had several people in this thread who have never even heard of Messi, including myself.
But I can't imagine any level of disinterest in politics would avoid being familiar with Obama. I can't imagine any level of disinterest in religion would make you oblivious to the Pope. And nobody cares about the royal family, but everyone knows the Queen. It's only logical to me that a sports person is not going to be as well known as someone in those kinds of positions of real power and fame.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2012, 08:51:16 AM »
"several people in this thread"

well, glad we have the whole world in this thread.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2012, 08:53:52 AM »
I've never heard of Messi either.

The first people I thought of were the Pope, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and Obama.  People can scoff at mentions of three U.S. presidents (two former, the other current), but as arguably the most powerful nation in the world (or has China overtaken us yet? :P), it goes without saying that most people around the world will have at least heard of our most famous recent presidents.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2012, 08:55:00 AM »
The only reason I've heard of Messi is that my father is very into his football. I predict in ten years, I will have forgotten the name, as will most people.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2012, 08:55:30 AM »

It's already establishing a trend of people not knowing who the hell he is at all. Nobody in this thread has said "Who the hell is Obama?" or "Queen who?".
This isn't rocket science. He's obviously not as famous as many other names mentioned in this thread. And I'd expect these names are more famous the world over than someone who plays a sport.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2012, 08:56:56 AM »
SSS

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2012, 09:01:29 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2012, 09:08:21 AM »
I wonder where Osama Bin Laden ranked when he was still alive.

Also, never heard of Messi.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2012, 09:20:47 AM »
Adami, I want a serious answer from you. Especially because I didn't consider that much of the non-Western world probably might not know who Gill Bates or Paul McCartney are (although I would contend that the latter is more likely, since the Beatles toured literally almost everywhere in the world).

Obama, The Queen and Bush are good answers. While the Pope is an interesting idea, I'd say his position is more popular than he is. It wouldn't surprise me if lots of people in the world didn't know who the current pope is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2012, 09:29:15 AM »

You don't need to care about politics to know who Obama is. If you don't care about soccer, you very likely don't know who Messi is. We've already had several people in this thread who have never even heard of Messi, including myself.
But I can't imagine any level of disinterest in politics would avoid being familiar with Obama. I can't imagine any level of disinterest in religion would make you oblivious to the Pope. And nobody cares about the royal family, but everyone knows the Queen. It's only logical to me that a sports person is not going to be as well known as someone in those kinds of positions of real power and fame.

I think that you need to be from a certain social class in order to care about politics, even more about international politics. And as far as the Pope, I'd say there are lots of people that don't even know about Christianity. I understand and agree that there's a lot of people that are not into sports and even so lots of them don't care about football but for everyone we mention there is a very good argument on why they could be unknown.

Offline jag66

« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2012, 09:29:47 AM »
Surely 'The Queen'. Obama hasn't been in the public eye nearly as long although is potentially a #2.

Michael Jackson probably wasn't far off when he was alive.

Beckham >> Messi in terms of how famous.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #95 on: July 31, 2012, 09:30:28 AM »
Alive: Obama

Dead: Michael Jackson
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2012, 09:30:49 AM »
Caring about politics is not the same as simply having heard of Obama, for example.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: July 31, 2012, 09:31:58 AM »
What's the criteria here? That if you ask a random person on the street they have heard the name? Or do they have to know something about the person (Messi plays football, Obama is the US president, etc...)?

My first thought was Michael Jackson. For as much as he is known it the US, he seems much more popular and well-known in other countries.

Indeed, Adami, the positions of Pope and Queen might be more well known that those individuals who hold those titles. 1 billion Chinese probably know England has a Queen, it isn't exactly a recent development, but might not know her name. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2012, 09:35:01 AM »
1 billion Chinese probably know England has a Queen, it isn't exactly a recent development, but might not know her name.

It's Mindy, right?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #99 on: July 31, 2012, 09:36:15 AM »
My first thought was Michael Jackson. For as much as he is known it the US, he seems much more popular and well-known in other countries.

Absolutely

Offline robwebster

« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2012, 09:39:34 AM »

If he's not even the most famous person in this thread there is literally no chance whatsoever that he's the most famous person alive in the world.

We're not a 100% representative sample, but we're not that unrepresentative either. He might be the emperor of whatever niche it is he's carved himself into, but outside that niche it's clear that it's very easy to completely overlook him. Especially given that this board's a first world, mostly-Western society, with free access to technology and information. If we're an unrepresentative sample, we're probably erring on the side of over-representation than under-representation. We're a culture that's biased to be more aware of him, and half of us are still baffled.

The most famous person alive would almost certainly be someone everyone in this thread has heard of.

Absolutely
"Living's" the kicker, there. I believe he was considered the most famous person in the world up until about this time three years ago, though.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2012, 09:49:07 AM »
I honestly forgot MJ was dead  :facepalm:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2012, 09:54:08 AM »
I didn't forget, because it's not true...

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2012, 09:54:54 AM »
Well Rob, I seriously doubt that Western society with access to technology and information represents even 50% of the world.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2012, 09:56:24 AM »
I think that you need to be from a certain social class in order to care about politics, even more about international politics.

But the US president is shown all the time on the internet and on TV all over the world, and whether you care for politics, you're going to be exposed to him, unless you're completely oblivious to all forms of media, in which case the same applies to anybody else mentioned here. I'm not from the US, and I don't care about politics, let alone politics in other countries, and I can't imagine anyone in this country not knowing who he is.

But by my count we have 8 people in this thread already who haven't even heard of Messi, a lot from the US where soccer isn't so popular, so that tells me he doesn't transcend his area of popularity as much as a president or the Queen etc. 8 people is a big enough number when you're trying to argue someone is the most famous person in the entire world.

Yes, we mostly represent western society here and aren't the entire world, but rob makes great points as far as that's concerned. I can't believe people are even still arguing it.