Author Topic: The Most Famous Person Alive  (Read 25351 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: The Most Famous Person Alive
« Reply #175 on: August 05, 2012, 05:15:01 AM »
It's a tricky question. I wouldn't really call it "loved" in this case, but take Justin Bieber for example. While there are loads of people who hate him and dislikes his music, most people have heard his name and possibly seen pictures of him.
Lady Gaga is another example.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #176 on: August 05, 2012, 05:18:36 AM »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: August 05, 2012, 06:11:37 AM »
I'm pretty sure the whole world has heard of George Bush. Let's be serious here. He's like the most notorious president ever. Plus 911, the Wars, etc.

Most notorious President ever???  Guess you weren't around with Johnson and Nixon...

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #178 on: August 05, 2012, 06:18:59 AM »
What about Dewey?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #179 on: August 05, 2012, 09:23:29 AM »
It's a tricky question. I wouldn't really call it "loved" in this case, but take Justin Bieber for example. While there are loads of people who hate him and dislikes his music, most people have heard his name and possibly seen pictures of him.

My mother in Germany will have no idea who Justin Bieber is.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #180 on: August 05, 2012, 09:37:55 AM »

My mother in Germany will have no idea who Justin Bieber is.

rumborak

rumbo, out of interest, where in Germany are you from?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #181 on: August 05, 2012, 10:05:15 AM »
Northwest, Cologne area.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #182 on: August 05, 2012, 10:11:57 AM »
Northwest, Cologne area.
Well that stinks.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #183 on: August 05, 2012, 10:17:48 AM »
Northwest, Cologne area.

OK, thanks!  :tup

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #184 on: August 05, 2012, 11:28:31 AM »
Northwest, Cologne area.
Well that stinks.

There's a lot of germans in the area.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #185 on: August 05, 2012, 09:06:47 PM »
Barack Obama. People in the US don't even know Messi that well so he's second.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #186 on: August 06, 2012, 08:26:40 AM »
Barack Obama. People in the US don't even know Messi that well so he's second.

The responses in this thread alone have pretty much convinced me that he doesn't even belong in the top 10, much less number 2.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #187 on: August 06, 2012, 08:29:44 AM »
I'd say Messi is a really famous person, but in USA there's perhaps 100 people who actually knows what soccer is, so given how small the sport is, that surely has an affect. On the contrary, I think most people in USA would know who Wayne Gretzky is for example, but over here in Europe less people would know who he is, because Hockey is bigger over there.

I think it's a bit the same with Obama really. In USA everyone is going to know who he is (because he is the president) but as soon as you get some place else there might be a different situation. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #188 on: August 06, 2012, 08:36:13 AM »
But it isn't. Didn't matter whether I was in Kashmir or Jaisalmer, people knew Barack Obama.

rumborak

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #189 on: August 06, 2012, 08:45:15 AM »
I didn't say that Obama isn't well known. To be fair, since USA is one of the biggest nations of the world, has an opinion about everything (and wants to be involved in everything) it's kinda logical that the president will appear on television and in newspapers everywhere. Still, believe it or not there are still loads of people who neither have television or access to newspapers. :P

Also, what about Nelson Mandela?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #190 on: August 06, 2012, 08:49:04 AM »
I didn't say that Obama isn't well known. To be fair, since USA is one of the biggest nations of the world, has an opinion about everything (and wants to be involved in everything) it's kinda logical that the president will appear on television and in newspapers everywhere. Still, believe it or not there are still loads of people who neither have television or access to newspapers. :P

Also, what about Nelson Mandela?

The problem is that the demographic who has no access to media has no way of knowing any of the people that are being listed ITT - except for those that they are or have been involved with. Sure, the people in Africa that fall into this group might know Mandela all the same, but people on other continents that don't have this access are very likely to not know the guy.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #191 on: August 06, 2012, 08:56:08 AM »
You have a point. But the reason I named Mandela is because he's one of the most known people from an African PoV, but he's also someone that is very known here in Europe, and I assume people knows about him in USA as well.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #192 on: August 06, 2012, 08:58:09 AM »
You have a point. But the reason I named Mandela is because he's one of the most known people from an African PoV, but he's also someone that is very known here in Europe, and I assume people knows about him in USA as well.

Yeah, but when we get to the demographic you described, but in Asia or South America, things will look a little different, won't they?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #193 on: August 06, 2012, 09:07:11 AM »
Obviously. But for example, Asia and Africa are two of the most populated parts of the world. As much impact as USA and Europe has on several different fields, if we're speaking numbers than someone who is known through Asia and possibly Africa as well would easily take it all, because we're outnumbered. Is that person Obama? Maybe. I haven't been to either Asia or Africa, so I don't know if people in small villages knows who he is, but there is a lot of poverty in both these world-parts, which should be taken into account. :P

Wouldn't someone like George Bush be more logical than Obama? He served as a president for a longer time and did a lot of controversial things, he was also the president when 9/11 occurred (which was most likely reported in every part of the world) and his face was seen pretty much everywhere. I'm not saying Obama isn't famous because I see him everywhere, and I live in a country that's not exactly Pro US or being close to the country at all, but he has only been the president for 3 (?) years now, compared to Bush who was the president for 8 (?) years.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #194 on: August 06, 2012, 09:25:11 AM »
Bush I'd agree with - more than Mandela at least. As sad as it is, there are people in my school that don't know the guy.

Offline TL

« Reply #195 on: August 07, 2012, 09:18:00 AM »
The thing is, in a remote area without any real media access, you probably won't have any famous figures who are known there, so those areas basically don't factor into this one way or another.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #196 on: August 07, 2012, 09:21:51 AM »
Too lazy to read through this to see if it had already been posted, but:

Walt Disney  ;)

Sadly he's dead. Not frozen, dead.

Plus, I'll bet if you anonymously polled hundreds of people on the street, a somewhat large percentage would have no idea that Walt Disney was the name of an actual person.   :lol :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #197 on: August 07, 2012, 11:15:28 AM »
On my trip around the world I met a lot of people who hadn't heard of a lot of things. But even in the remotest point on Earth I was pretty damn sure they knew who Obama is. Messi is an insignificant blip. As an example, essentially none of India gives a rat's ass about football. They love cricket, and that's what they know.

rumborak

Hence my post on page 1 regarding not only their #1 love, but their #1 export.  I'm shocked at the latent racism on display on this forum evidenced by the failure to acknowledge that fact. People on this forum need to not be so Anglo-centric.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #198 on: August 07, 2012, 12:02:31 PM »
what about Nelson Mandela?

"Oh there they go. There they go, every time I start talkin 'bout famous people, a white man got to pull Nelson Mandela out they ass. That's they one, that's they one. Nelson Mandela. Nelson Mandela. Let me tell you something once and for all. Nelson Mandela was good, but compared to Barack Obama, Nelson Mandela ain't shit!"

Offline Stonestef

« Reply #199 on: August 07, 2012, 12:22:52 PM »
When Ronaldinho was considered the best in the world (for Americans,I'm talking about a soccer player) he asked to meet Michael Jordan because he was his idol growing up. When they met, MJ didn't even know who he was talking with. I mean,every European or South American would recognize him.Although Jordan is known to be a %$%^#. So,it doesn't seem strange to me that half the people in this thread don't know who Messi is. He plays a sport that a large part of the world doesn't care about. So,my guess is either the Queen, Obama, Bush, Clinton or an actor/actress.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #200 on: August 07, 2012, 01:03:58 PM »
what about Nelson Mandela?

"Oh there they go. There they go, every time I start talkin 'bout famous people, a white man got to pull Nelson Mandela out they ass. That's they one, that's they one. Nelson Mandela. Nelson Mandela. Let me tell you something once and for all. Nelson Mandela was good, but compared to Barack Obama, Nelson Mandela ain't shit!"

His mama named him Mandela, I'ma call him Mandela.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: August 08, 2012, 12:45:23 PM »
Today I asked a coworker who is just visiting here from India. He agreed with either Bill Gates or the US president. He said that no one knows who the Queen is, and football isn't popular in India enough for Messi to be a household name there.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #202 on: August 08, 2012, 12:47:56 PM »
Well I'll be damned.

Looks like it's time for another invasion then, besides, I was running low on the tea.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Adami

« Reply #203 on: August 08, 2012, 01:00:10 PM »
Today I asked a coworker who is just visiting here from India. He agreed with either Bill Gates or the US president. He said that no one knows who the Queen is, and football isn't popular in India enough for Messi to be a household name there.

How would no one in India know their former queen?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: August 08, 2012, 01:02:03 PM »
I don't know. I'm just an American. His mentor from India backed me up. I mentioned the Queen and they immediately dismissed her. Their first answers were Bill Gates, then the US president--but not necessarily by name.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #205 on: August 08, 2012, 01:03:20 PM »
Did you ask him the question in an open ended way, or did you suggest certain answers?  I have a hard time believing they wouldn't have even mentioned at least one of the names in my post if you just asked an open ended question.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: August 08, 2012, 01:09:23 PM »
Did you ask him the question in an open ended way, or did you suggest certain answers?  I have a hard time believing they wouldn't have even mentioned at least one of the names in my post if you just asked an open ended question.

This is a rough transcript of the conversation:

Me: So who do you think is the most famous person in the entire world?
Coworker: Hmmmm. Maybe Bill Gates.
His Mentor: Yes, Bill Gates is really famous. Who were you thinking about?
Me: Well other people and I were thinking maybe leaders like Obama...
Coworker: I'm not so sure. Not many people get into politics...
His Mentor: But the US President does have an impact world wide.
Me: What about the Queen or the Pope or Dalai Lama?
Coworker: No. Nobody knows who the Queen is.
His Mentor: Yeah.
Me: Then some people where saying Messi...
Coworker: Well he is pretty famous, but football isn't really as popular in India as everywhere else.
His Mentor: Yeah, I'm not too sure about that.

They do live most of their lives in India. This is his first time in the US. First experience with the culture and everything. But also keep in mind that these are IT workers, so they do have access to the internet a lot.

Offline Adami

« Reply #207 on: August 08, 2012, 01:13:56 PM »
Meh, you shouldn't have offered answers. I think if you left it strictly open ended they would have admitted that Chuck Norris is the most famous person ever.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: August 08, 2012, 01:16:33 PM »
:lol

Well they did say Bill Gates without any prompts.

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #209 on: August 08, 2012, 01:17:01 PM »
probably Barack Obama, along with the Queen and Pope. Actors ilke George Clooney or Leonardo DiCaprio are surely more famous than Messi.