Author Topic: The Most Famous Person Alive  (Read 25307 times)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Most Famous Person Alive
« Reply #140 on: August 01, 2012, 11:25:53 AM »
James Cameron

....... Seriously

For shittiest director?

Michael Bay

Joel Schumacher

McG

M. Night Shyalmalan.

None of these people ever made Terminator, The Abyss, Terminator 2 or True Lies.

Fucking Eh!  4 awesome flicks!

I'm sticking with George Lucas for most popular.  Star Wars is EVERYWHERE , and for better or worse Star Wars IS George Lucas.  For what, 35 years now??

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #141 on: August 01, 2012, 11:40:37 AM »
Gotta be some religious person......Dalai Lama or The Pope or something like that.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #142 on: August 01, 2012, 03:27:43 PM »
Definitely not the pope. A lot of people will know there is something called a pope, but how many people even in the US know the guy's name? Even I have to sometimes stop for a second to remember he's called Benedict.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #143 on: August 01, 2012, 03:30:11 PM »
Definitely not the pope. A lot of people will know there is something called a pope, but how many people even in the US know the guy's name? Even I have to sometimes stop for a second to remember he's called Benedict.

rumborak

Pope Palpatine. What do I win?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #144 on: August 01, 2012, 03:31:28 PM »
In terms of soccer players, I'm always surprised how many people know Beckenbauer. I would find myself in an obscure corner of Jordan and some dude would rave about the Kaiser.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #145 on: August 01, 2012, 03:32:04 PM »
Too lazy to read through this to see if it had already been posted, but:

Walt Disney  ;)

Online Adami

« Reply #146 on: August 01, 2012, 03:36:22 PM »

Walt Disney  ;)

Sadly he's dead. Not frozen, dead.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #147 on: August 01, 2012, 03:40:43 PM »
Like Chad said on the first page it's the Dalia Lama.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 03:59:43 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #148 on: August 01, 2012, 03:42:21 PM »

Walt Disney  ;)

Sadly he's dead. Not frozen, dead.

If you've seen that episode of Robot Chicken, you'll know he isn't dead.

Offline jsem

« Reply #149 on: August 01, 2012, 03:44:15 PM »
In terms of soccer players, I'm always surprised how many people know Beckenbauer. I would find myself in an obscure corner of Jordan and some dude would rave about the Kaiser.

rumborak
Franz Beckenbauer is a legend. I didn't know he was that well known though.

But if we go by their name, then it would most certainly have to be Queen Elizabeth II or Obama. I have no idea what the Dalai Lama's real name is/was. And I mean, for the Pope, I had to think for VERY long until I figured out his name was Ratzinger.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #150 on: August 01, 2012, 03:47:48 PM »
I had no idea what the Pope's name was.  "Benedict" would not have been my first guess. :lol

Offline jsem

« Reply #151 on: August 01, 2012, 03:54:08 PM »
Well, it's not his given name. It's his titled name. Pope Benedict XVI.

Online Adami

« Reply #152 on: August 01, 2012, 03:55:07 PM »
I had no idea what the Pope's name was.  "Benedict" would not have been my first guess. :lol

Ratzinger I believe.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #153 on: August 01, 2012, 04:04:05 PM »
You learn something new every day, I guess.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: August 01, 2012, 04:05:34 PM »

Pope Palpatine. What do I win?

SEE!!!!  Everything comes back to George Lucas...... :rollin

Offline Ruba

« Reply #155 on: August 02, 2012, 03:05:27 AM »
I have no idea what the Dalai Lama's real name is/was.

Tenzin Gyatso.

Offline jsem

« Reply #156 on: August 02, 2012, 03:26:33 AM »
Yeah, I looked that up too afterwards - but if you go by actual name recognition there's no way he's the most famous person alive.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #157 on: August 02, 2012, 03:40:17 AM »
Yeah, I looked that up too afterwards - but if you go by actual name recognition there's no way he's the most famous person alive.

You're right. And the same thing with the Pope.

I posted it first, but checked afterwards, was I right.

Offline TL

« Reply #158 on: August 02, 2012, 05:16:25 AM »
To anyone naming sports figures, no.

It's going to be someone who most people would know about regardless of whether or not they care about the thing that person is famous for. People who don't care about politics will still probably know who Barack Obama is, seeing as how he's probably the most powerful person on the planet right now, and how far reaching the influence of the US presidency is. Whereas, if someone doesn't give a shit about soccer, which, as hard as it may be for some of you to believe, is the case with many people, they probably won't know who the hell Messi is.

As for impoverished regions without any real access to information; My guess is that no world known figure is going to be particularly well known, whether is be a political figure, specific religious leader, sports star, etc. For the sake of this discussion, those regions don't really factor in.

Offline jsem

« Reply #159 on: August 02, 2012, 05:35:21 AM »
It's not hard to believe that people don't care about football, but it's sad that if there's one player they know it's Beckham, who is a complete joke.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: August 02, 2012, 07:51:53 AM »
I have no idea what the Dalai Lama's real name is/was.

Tenzin Gyatso.

Oh yeah. I forget that's not common info. I knew that from Avatar.  :lol

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #161 on: August 02, 2012, 07:53:23 AM »
Definitely The Queen.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: August 02, 2012, 08:17:18 AM »
It's not hard to believe that people don't care about football, but it's sad that if there's one player they know it's Beckham, who is a complete joke.

For people who don't care about the sport, the most famous player is obviously going to be the one who is famous outside of the sport.  Doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #163 on: August 02, 2012, 09:14:55 AM »
Beckham used to be really good.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #164 on: August 03, 2012, 04:55:16 PM »
Yeah, why is he such a joke?

Jsem seems to be on an anti-British rampage recently. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Adami

« Reply #165 on: August 03, 2012, 05:09:11 PM »
I'd like to change my answer to Chuck Norris.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #166 on: August 04, 2012, 06:18:29 PM »
As for people saying the queen, I doubt that as well since you could shave off quite a few people if you enforced:

A) Actually knowing her name since many folks probably simply know her as "the queen" and not by "Elizabeth the second." By this, I mean that the title is the actual famous part moreso than the individual.

B) Knowing that she is the second since there are probably a fair amount of folks whom, despite knowing her name's "Elizabeth", fail to realize that "Queen Elizabeth" was England's queen from 1558-1603. A shitload of folks simply refer to her as "Queen Elizabeth" and while some of them obviously know the difference, there are surely some that don't.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #167 on: August 04, 2012, 07:18:27 PM »
As for people saying the queen, I doubt that as well since you could shave off quite a few people if you enforced:

A) Actually knowing her name since many folks probably simply know her as "the queen" and not by "Elizabeth the second." By this, I mean that the title is the actual famous part moreso than the individual.

B) Knowing that she is the second since there are probably a fair amount of folks whom, despite knowing her name's "Elizabeth", fail to realize that "Queen Elizabeth" was England's queen from 1558-1603. A shitload of folks simply refer to her as "Queen Elizabeth" and while some of them obviously know the difference, there are surely some that don't.
Yep, I think if knowing the name of the person is factored in, the Queen and especially the Pope wouldn't have as good a chance.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #168 on: August 04, 2012, 08:58:53 PM »
The Evil White Man

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #169 on: August 05, 2012, 12:24:44 AM »

I think it's getting a bit pedantic to expect everyone to know that she's the second. I think Queen Elizabeth would more than suffice, or even the Queen of England is enough info for me. I bet the majority of people don't know Lady Gaga's real name at all, or Madonna's full name either. Would they not count unless you knew their real names? If you recognize them, you recognize them.

The way I see it, if this person could walk by you casually in the street (not wearing a crown or pope outfit of course), and get identified correctly (by whatever name you know them by), that counts. I expect the pope would probably fail by that criteria, since many people know the position more than the individual. He'd just blend in as any other old dude. The Queen would do well in some parts of the world (such as here, where she's on our money thanks to our country still being Britian's bitch) and badly in many others, although I'd also expect Obama to do pretty well by that criteria, so I guess I'll agree with that opinion for the moment.

On a side note, from this thread, I expect this soccer player dude could walk the streets of many countries until he passes out without as much as a second glance.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #170 on: August 05, 2012, 01:06:40 AM »
I'd say Obama or the pope. I haven't heard of most of the sports ones, and I actually watch some sports.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #171 on: August 05, 2012, 01:12:12 AM »

I think it's getting a bit pedantic to expect everyone to know that she's the second. I think Queen Elizabeth would more than suffice, or even the Queen of England is enough info for me. I bet the majority of people don't know Lady Gaga's real name at all, or Madonna's full name either. Would they not count unless you knew their real names? If you recognize them, you recognize them.

Not at all since the omission of the "II" makes the name refer to a completely different person who also held the same title. Furthermore, the Gaga/Madonna thing is completely different since they were never publicly referred to on a regular basis as anything other than their stage names. On the other hand I wasn't saying people had to know Elizabeth II's last name or full name either which is the criteria you tried to compare with for Gaga and Madonna.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline robwebster

« Reply #172 on: August 05, 2012, 01:24:42 AM »
Man, is this really how Americans defer to our Queen? We all just call her Betty.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #173 on: August 05, 2012, 01:41:56 AM »

Not at all since the omission of the "II" makes the name refer to a completely different person who also held the same title. Furthermore, the Gaga/Madonna thing is completely different since they were never publicly referred to on a regular basis as anything other than their stage names. On the other hand I wasn't saying people had to know Elizabeth II's last name or full name either which is the criteria you tried to compare with for Gaga and Madonna.

It's not that different. Most people here only refer to her as The Queen, or Queen Elizabeth, and nobody yet has ever confused her with a dead chick or an oceanliner. It may not be her official title, but Lady Gaga isn't a legal title either. Both have names they are recognized by, and in neither case is there confusion, thanks to their fame.
And different or not, it's ridiculous to argue it doesn't even count based on a number. If someone can see a picture of her and say it's Queen Elizabeth, then that most definitely counts. If you were asking people on the street to identify her and they only said Queen Elizabeth, you wouldn't say "oh, so you don't really know who that is. I'll just put a cross here." It's all very arbitrary.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #174 on: August 05, 2012, 05:04:25 AM »
I'm pretty sure the whole world has heard of George Bush. Let's be serious here. He's like the most notorious president ever. Plus 911, the Wars, etc.