Author Topic: Frustrated Musicians Chat Thread  (Read 1831 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Frustrated Musicians Chat Thread
« on: July 30, 2012, 09:10:30 AM »
2 fuckin hours with the Official A Dramatic Turn of Events guitar tab book, including the torment of having to change the tuning to Drop B and the ungreedy aspiration learn just one riff, one riff! the intro riff to Bridges In The Sky.
I memorized the notes really well, I played them slow at first and then started getting faster gradually. Nothing. Doesn't even sound remotely any fuckin thing like the album. It's good music, but it's not Bridges in The Sky.
I quit, I might try again tomorrow.

I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
Re: Frustrated Musicians Chat Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 09:28:12 AM »
im guessing you dont have a 7 string and going down to drop B might be giving you some muddiness (is that a word?) due to not having a heavier string set.

I love playing bridges. i managed to get everything down except for the solo. the riff at 3:25 is soo fun to play

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 12:19:12 PM »
Yeah I have a 6 strings Yamaha SGV.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 12:25:53 PM »
yea from what i see (in google images) is that it's gotta tremolo system and changing the tuning that drastically without blocking it would be a nightmare. the riff isn't sounding the same cause the strings aren't holding in tune

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 12:43:39 PM »
Thanks for explaining man, I would have kept trying and getting angrier heh
What ADToE song would you say I can play without facing that problem?

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 12:57:25 PM »
the guitar is probably set up in standard tuning EADGBE so anything in that tuning: OTBOA, Breaking All Illusions, Beneath The Surface

if you wanted to play the lower tuning songs, I would suggest blocking the tremolo and getting heavier gauge strings

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 08:12:44 PM »
the guitar is probably set up in standard tuning EADGBE so anything in that tuning: OTBOA, Breaking All Illusions, Beneath The Surface

if you wanted to play the lower tuning songs, I would suggest blocking the tremolo and getting heavier gauge strings

I don't know if you have two guitars, but if you do, then you can have one of them set up for the lower tuning.  Whenever I get a new guitar (sometime  :| ) I'm going to do something similiar.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline AMindBesideItself

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 03:46:47 AM »
Just get a seven string. BOTS is in B standard by the way, not drop B. Maybe that's what's causing your difficulties?

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 03:51:52 AM »
It's exactly that but I can't go buy a new guitar right now.

Offline necrotomist

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 07:52:22 AM »
I don't know if this has ever been posted but if not, this seems the best place to drop it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vms_6_TSQuc

For some reason, this guy's behavior reminds me of myself while recording..
I should worry about that, right?

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 01:16:57 PM »
:lol
No you shouldn't worry, I have the same attitude when I'm trying to cook heh

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 03:43:10 PM »
I don't know if this has ever been posted but if not, this seems the best place to drop it:

You made my evening. This is amazing.

Also on topic; I'm frustrated as hell with my right hand technique/speed on my guitar. It just doesn't get any better.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 03:54:52 PM by Elite »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 02:15:15 PM »

:rollin I love when he wants to eat his hand!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 03:53:45 PM »
Is changing the guitar tuning to play certain songs a process that kills the energy of learning new songs for anybody else or is it just me?
Some bands have different guitar tuning for a lot of songs and it gets frustrating to change it just to learn that one song and then change it back, dealing with what I call "settling time" every time, that being the time it takes for the string to keep stop moving on their own after you change the tuning.
Sorry for my lack of musicians terminology heh

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 04:13:55 PM »
I usually practice the songs using Guitar Pro. If a band is set in Drop D, for example, I'll just tune the low E down. If the song is downtuned (D standard for example), I'll just transpose the whole Guitar Pro file up a tone, so that I don't have to change my tuning.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 05:27:53 AM »
I've been playing drums for about 4 years now. I've had my double-bass pedal for a little over 3 years. And I still absolutely suck at it. Two years ago I played Fade to Black - Metallica at my local music school. That song has some fairly fast double-bass parts in the outro. At the time, I could play them, so I was confident that I could improve myself even more very easily. Well, it turns out I can't. Last year was my first year at university, and since my drum kit was at my parents', I could practice much. Moreover, I stopped doing sports regularly; and what was even worse is that I overburdened my legs during field work for my study. So now I can't even play the double-bass parts in Fade to Black anymore, even though I could do it 2 years ago. Lastly, my stick technique and speed has increased only slightly; but my double-bass technique and speed have gone completely to shit and I just can't seem to get any better at the moment.

/rant

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 05:31:03 AM »
My right hand speed on the guitar sucks.
Squ