Author Topic: Going clean & sober  (Read 11259 times)

Offline ohgar

• Wha?
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
Re: Going clean & sober
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2012, 03:21:40 PM »
hey i just met you
and you are crazy
but if you feel like using
then call me maybe
Iam pridem, ex quo suffragia nulli vendimus, effudit curas; nam qui dabat olim imperium, fasces, legiones, omnia, nunc se continet atque duas tantum res anxius optat, panem et circenses.

Offline ohgar

• Wha?
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2012, 08:31:50 PM »
Went to a GLBT NA meeting tonight. Probably one of the best meetings I've been to-- I'm seriously considering making it my home group. Stuff like this serves as the perfect counterexample to the often-repeated lie that gays and lesbians are "godless heathens."
Iam pridem, ex quo suffragia nulli vendimus, effudit curas; nam qui dabat olim imperium, fasces, legiones, omnia, nunc se continet atque duas tantum res anxius optat, panem et circenses.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2012, 08:40:07 PM »
I stopped drinking seventeen and a half years ago and it was the best decision I ever made. I'd probably be dead now if I'd kept drinking. Defying a lot of the conventional wisdom, though, I never attended an AA meeting or did any sort of rehab-I just woke up one day, realized I was drinking myself to death, and said "That's it, I quit." But I don't recommend that though, because I went through a LOT pulling that off by myself. Keep it up!
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2012, 09:08:56 PM »
Something that was sent to me when I was in rehab.

The first day I tried you,
You became my new best friend, my lover and my soul mate!
You took my hand, faded my pain, there was a smile for once.
It felt good to be around you,
That numbness you gave me was all that I wanted!
So I let you in, let you stick around,
Coz without you the joys I felt in life just disappeared.
Was that you, maybe it was me,
No I needed you,
Thank god you were there,
My darling Heroin!

You made me feel strong again,
So I thought that I would cope without you,
But you wouldn’t let me leave.
You started to make me cry, caused me pain that I never felt before.
I pushed you away, but you just kept pulling me back in.
You weren’t my friend, lover or soul mate,
You’re the ENEMY!
I realized it to late.
You held me in, pulling me harder and harder;
I couldn’t walk out on you no more,
You were making me weaker,
This made you stronger,
I was craving you more and more,
I couldn’t understand it? I thought you were helping me!
My darling Gear

I lost my way but, but I just can’t blame you it was me to!
I tried to leave you,
But you pulled me back in harder and faster, body and soul!
I chose this destructive path, I was lonely and down.
I agree you did take that all away,
But look at the consequences!
I lost everything that I ever had,
I lost my dignity; I was starting to hurt myself!
I hurt my family and the ones who loved and cared the most!
But yet again I got down, instead of asking for help,
I caved in even more,
And you pulled me in harder than ever before.
I embraced you,
What a fool I was
My soul binding smack

Now I have made a choice,
At last to walk away!
Its time for you to leave my addictive body, veins and mind.
Why do you keep fighting me?
Trying to force your way back to me,
WHY?
But its time to make eminence with myself,
Its time to take control!
I got my fight back; you got to leave now,
Time to say goodbye!!
So, so long, farewell my loving heroin,
You’ve done your worse,
You degrading smack
You locked me in a cage and took the key,
But this time I am fighting back
Now I have the key!
I’m walking away, locking you in that cage,
The cage of addiction, destruction and pain.
Goodbye my darling Heroin

Offline ohgar

• Wha?
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2012, 08:58:15 PM »
A lot of people at the meeting today were talking about anger and how it's another symptom of the same disease. I have been immensely angry lately and it's not healthy. Sorry to those out on whom I've taken it.

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2012, 09:11:19 PM »
I'm 16 months clean today. I'm sure a few people thought I be dead before clean this long.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2012, 09:33:43 PM »
I'm 16 months clean today. I'm sure a few people thought I be dead before clean this long.
Nice work, I'm proud of you.  :tup

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2012, 10:13:39 AM »
Nice work, I'm proud of you.  :tup

Thanks! You soon will be clean 16 months as well.

Ohgar, check this site out. It could be another support for you. https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2012, 11:57:51 AM »
Yup,  bout a month and a half behind you.  Soberrecovery is a great site, definitely check it out.

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2012, 09:14:37 PM »
A lot of people at the meeting today were talking about anger and how it's another symptom of the same disease. I have been immensely angry lately and it's not healthy. Sorry to those out on whom I've taken it.

Just checking in on you. I hope you are doing well.

Offline Modah

• catterbrains
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2014, 02:06:28 PM »

Just checking in on you. I hope you are doing well.
I am. We got 19 months clean on Saturday. Thank you.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2014, 02:10:42 PM »
You need a ~575 days and counting thingy in your sig, cuz.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline MinistryOfLostSouls

• I'm a vewy vewy nithe guy
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2014, 02:14:17 PM »
hey i just met you
and you are crazy
but if you feel like using
then call me maybe

I was in and out of rehab in my twenties because of opiates.  I haven't touched an opiate in five years.  No desire to whatsoever.  I went through DT's -  :lol - for about six months, but the further and further away I got from having those substances in my body, the less I wanted them until one day I completely forgot what it was like to think it is acceptable to turn to narcotic for the answer. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2014, 02:14:39 PM »
I lost 25lbs in my first week of sobriety.

They cut your dick off?

But seriously, were you hospitalized for such a shock to your metabolism?

To follow up with this, I'm kinda flabbergasted how this could even work. That say a pound of fat equates 3500 calories. 25 pounds would be 87500 calories, but at an average daily calorie burn of 2000 calories, you're still short 73000 calories. Even when you take into account plain water loss, I can't see how this would work.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2014, 02:41:22 PM »
Congratulations to everyone here who has sobered up. Keep up the good work!

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2014, 02:43:19 PM »
I didn't drink for two weeks recently.

Having a cold sucks.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Cable

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2014, 04:16:25 PM »

I'm not sure about that, but I am sure that anger is a trigger of addiction/usage.

Congrats by the way Ohgar, keep it going and do focus day to day. Relapse is part of it, so if it happens, just remember your goal.
---

Offline Modah

• catterbrains
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2014, 04:30:56 PM »
It's not mandatory :) Thanks though.

Offline MinistryOfLostSouls

• I'm a vewy vewy nithe guy
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2014, 04:49:12 PM »

Nice job!!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2014, 05:58:34 PM »

They cut your dick off?

To follow up with this, I'm kinda flabbergasted how this could even work. That say a pound of fat equates 3500 calories. 25 pounds would be 87500 calories, but at an average daily calorie burn of 2000 calories, you're still short 73000 calories. Even when you take into account plain water loss, I can't see how this would work.

I was in the ICU for pancreatitis. No food or water was allowed through my digestive system for the first five days because the shock to my system would have caused my pancreas to go into overdrive and kill me. Add to that I was in a brutal alcohol withdrawal, including constant seizure action and a few grand mal seziures, and it's pretty easy to see where the weight went.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2014, 09:09:30 AM »

They cut your dick off?

I was in the ICU for pancreatitis. No food or water was allowed through my digestive system for the first five days because the shock to my system would have caused my pancreas to go into overdrive and kill me. Add to that I was in a brutal alcohol withdrawal, including constant seizure action and a few grand mal seziures, and it's pretty easy to see where the weight went.

Not saying you are lying, but I am saying this is not physically possible.  There were probably some incorrect measurements, estimates, or records.  It is not possible for a person to lose 25 pounds in 7 days, especially when they are stationary and immobile.  There are many reasons why.
1) You were given no oral food or water perhaps....but you were given nutrients and hydration via IV.  That will give you positive calories.
2) You were in an immobile and stationary physical state, which decreased the amount of calories needed.  ICU treatment of acute pancreatitis in to get nutrients and fludis in via I.V.
3) If you were actually on a starvation diet for so long, your body will kick metabolism into starvation mode to conserve, and will resist burning calories even more.
Again, not trivializing your experience, but you did not lose 25 pounds of weight in 7 days.  Your body simply wont allow that, and goes against science.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:22:48 AM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2014, 09:24:40 AM »
Fine, I didn't.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2014, 09:24:58 AM »

Excellent  :tup

I'm curious, does anyone discuss how they attempt to cope with that anger?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2014, 09:33:55 AM »
The steps actually give us tools for that. The biggest thing we learn is not to react on our instincts, because they are alcoholic and messed up. Instead, we learn to pause, assess our anger, look for our part in it(cause usually we have a part to play and must be culpable for it), discuss it with friends or more importantly our sponsor, and if it's something we can't rectify, we pray, meditate,  and put it in the hands of our higher power. (in other words, just let that shit go)

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2014, 09:54:34 AM »
Interesting. Do the steps ever focus on trying not to get angry in the first place? I only ask because I used to have serious anger issues as a kid and as a teenager. It wasn't until I truly became aware of my place on this Earth and in society that I dialed it back a bit. Regardless of how shitty my day had been, no matter how badly someone may have hurt me or how much I was struggling to cope with something, I began to realize that there were hundreds of millions of people who would still trade their lives in a second to live like I live. It was very humbling. These days, the only time I get mad is when someone endangers me by doing something stupid, for example, the teenager who nearly ran me off the highway yesterday because he was texting while driving at 90mph with his earbuds in.  I almost never get mad. It's weird, it's not even like I have to tell myself to keep calm or make an effort to control my emotions. When something happens that would have been worthy of my anger years ago, I just shrug my shoulders and say "whatever". It's pretty bizzare. I used to see stars and turn beat red because I'd get so angry, now it just doesn't phase me in the least. It's almost as if I don't see the glass as half-full or half-empty, but more along the lines of, "well at least there's something in it".
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 11:18:50 AM by Chino »

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2014, 10:26:23 AM »
Fine, I didn't.

I know. 

Congrats on your sobriety.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2014, 11:16:45 AM »
I would guess to say that your fall might have had a hand in handling your anger issues as well. That little bit of eternal gratitude can go a long way man.

The steps are a process, one that we strive to apply to every aspect of our daily lives. In that effort, we slowly re-train ourselves to behave in a better manner, which brings us away from our alcoholic selves. Eventually the gratitude steeps in, and we slowly become something close to what you're talking about, that ability to just let shit go easily instead of letting it fire us up and own us.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2014, 12:37:50 PM »
Not saying you are lying, but I am saying this is not physically possible.  There were probably some incorrect measurements, estimates, or records.  It is not possible for a person to lose 25 pounds in 7 days, especially when they are stationary and immobile.  There are many reasons why.
1) You were given no oral food or water perhaps....but you were given nutrients and hydration via IV.  That will give you positive calories.
2) You were in an immobile and stationary physical state, which decreased the amount of calories needed.  ICU treatment of acute pancreatitis in to get nutrients and fludis in via I.V.
3) If you were actually on a starvation diet for so long, your body will kick metabolism into starvation mode to conserve, and will resist burning calories even more.
Again, not trivializing your experience, but you did not lose 25 pounds of weight in 7 days.  Your body simply wont allow that, and goes against science.

Quick question for you Eric... were you there?  Unless you were, no need to tell RJ what did/did not happen to him.  There's also no need to flex your intellect about the how the human body metabolizes calories.  This is a thread about abuse support, not physiology. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2014, 01:06:09 PM »
 :tup

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2014, 01:09:32 PM »
I would guess to say that your fall might have had a hand in handling your anger issues as well. That little bit of eternal gratitude can go a long way man.

Yeah. That's a good point. That was probably a pretty heavy contributor.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2014, 02:58:42 PM »

Quick question for you Eric... were you there?  Unless you were, no need to tell RJ what did/did not happen to him.  There's also no need to flex your intellect about the how the human body metabolizes calories.  This is a thread about abuse support, not physiology.

Quick Answer for you Jingle....I don't need to have been there to know if something is physically impossible.  I told a client today (A Doctor by the way) about the scenario, and he just laughed and said, "um, no".
If this is a thread solely about abuse support and not physiology, why do you perpetuate the offending tangent in the thread?  If you want to chastise me and defend Lonestars honor, maybe just do it by PM.  I had dropped the discussion, and I promise not to bring it up anymore.  Thx.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 03:08:15 PM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2014, 02:59:44 PM »
wtf

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2014, 10:36:51 AM »
congrats on all of you staying clean and sober..i'll have 5 years myself this May...caan't say its been easy, but it is worthwhile
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2014, 11:53:12 AM »
congrats on all of you staying clean and sober..i'll have 5 years myself this May...caan't say its been easy, but it is worthwhile

I cant imagine how hard it must be to live with serios addictions that can ruin your life, what it must take to get clean/sober, and how hard it must be every day to stay that way.  Kudos to all of you who have accomplished any of this, and good luck to you in the future.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2014, 01:14:33 PM »

Five years man, that's just awesome. Seems like yesterday I was at twelve days and messaging you for help. Such an amazing ride man!!!