Author Topic: VOIVOD is back!  (Read 10645 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: VOIVOD is back!
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2018, 02:39:39 PM »
I'm still in awe...they changed the interviewee in the last minute, and I spoke with Away. To answer some of the questions posted here:

1) He touched on the subject of Blacky leaving, and confirmed what was said in that interview with The Metal Voice: Blacky was against them signing to a major label like Century Media, and wanted them to carry on independently; and I also asked about the reasons why Snake left in the mid 90's and about them playing the songs from the Eric Forrest era;

2) Some of the guitar tab books are ready to be put for sale online, and this will happen in a couple of months;

3) They want to finish a film about the history of the band that was started by Sam Dunn when Piggy fell ill, and are getting help from other sources to get it done, because Sam is REALLY busy. The film will have interviews with Dave Grohl, Jason Newsted and others.

AAAAND

4) They recorded a show they did earlier this year in the venue where they played their first ever concert in Jonquiere, and have plans to issue a live CD/DVD of it. The recording can be seen on the "Obsolete Beings" video.

I'll post the link to the interview once it's published.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2018, 04:03:34 PM »
Amazing! Thanks so much, Rodrigo!  :tup

Offline jammindude

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2018, 09:20:51 PM »
OH WOW!!!!!!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2018, 06:50:43 AM »
Thanks so much Rodrigo.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2018, 11:01:49 AM »
No worries! You'll hear the audio of the interview next week. Then you can appreciate how starstruck I sounded...LOL

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2018, 07:54:11 AM »
Guys,

The interview with Away was published today! Check it out, and please comment on it, like Sonic Perspectives' page, share it etc etc etc: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-michel-langevin/

Offline jammindude

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2018, 08:30:41 AM »
Guys,

The interview with Away was published today! Check it out, and please comment on it, like Sonic Perspectives' page, share it etc etc etc: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-michel-langevin/

Just a minor point.

Jason Newsted played on 3 albums. The self-titled, Katorz, and Infini.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2018, 09:06:32 AM »
Thanks! I'll try to correct that. Hope you enjoy it!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2018, 09:37:10 AM »
Correction made!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2018, 11:41:55 AM »
I asked Away about opening for Rush and had to ask the question again - I was hoping my editor would cut that out, but it was left in the final edit. I think it sounds weird, but spontaneous...what do you guys think?

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2018, 01:46:54 PM »

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2018, 01:24:34 PM »
Really sad stuff. I would never have expected such behaviour from Away. I wonder why he (and maybe other members also) acted this way towards Blacky.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2018, 04:37:22 PM »
It’s hard to say, because everyone always has their own sense of justice and things are rarely black and white.

One possibility is that, even though Blacky is “legally” an equal rights original member, Away (and possibly Snake as well) may feel strongly that his real life contributions aren’t equal.

Personally, I still think you should stick to the legal agreement or go through the steps to have it changed before just opting to violate the contract. But I can see how someone may not want to interact with their ex every single time you do something with the kids...especially if the ex has become difficult to engage with.

And this is ALL strictly supposition. I have no idea. It’s just a plausible scenario that has been seen ad nauseum in the music industry.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2018, 09:30:01 AM »
Totally spaced on The Wake. Thought it came out next month. It comes out tomorrow. Just ordered, but won't get it until next week now. Really looking forward to this!
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2018, 11:10:27 AM »
The reviews are overwhelmingly positive on this album. I get mine tomorrow.
I think Voivod owes a lot to guitarist Dan Mongrain. He brought this band back to life. I've got the feeling he had the reigns for this album. The guy is a musical wonder, check out some videos, he can play Holdsworth at the drop of a hat. He has a bachelors degree in Jazz, but he plays ANY style of music authentically. A great guy too. I messaged him on Facebook on how to play the opening of Clouds in My House, and he sent me a photo of the hand-written tab right then and there.
BTW. Check out Dan's Technical Metal band Martyr. Feeding the Abscess is an amazing album.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2018, 12:03:20 PM »
I read an interview somewhere with Away where he said that they operate now just like they did with Piggy. Chewy is responsible for writing the music and arranging everything. Other members might bring in a riff or an idea but it is left entirely up to Chewy on how to make it all work. So, yeah, you are correct in giving him the credit.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2018, 10:45:29 PM »
First listen: What a great fucking album!

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2018, 10:05:41 PM »
Has anyone listened to the new album at all? Bought it last Friday and I’m really enjoying it.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2018, 10:11:04 PM »
I did. I love it.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2018, 10:17:59 PM »
Just got my copy today. Have heard the first 2 songs so far and like what I hear. Snake sounds really good.

Need to really give it a good listen but I'm pretty sure I will love it.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2018, 05:23:10 AM »
Purchased on day of release. About 10 listens so far.
As expected, I love this album and it's the best they've done since The Outer Limits. It's as much of a concept album that you can get, complete with a grand finale track that touches on all the previous songs on the album. (Like DT have done in the past.) Of course, Dan Mongrain is the champion of the album, but I have to give props to Away for his drumming. To a lot of people he's a pretty basic drummer, but on this, he's stepped it up. Snake sounds 20 years younger too, and comes up with a few cool voices I've never heard out of him. I never thought I would hear an orchestra on a Voivod album, but it works.
All in all, I give this a 9 Piggys out of 10.

What I find funny is to listen to War and Pain, then The Wake, and you would swear it's not the same band. Not even the same genre. : )

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2018, 07:38:53 AM »
Purchased on day of release. About 10 listens so far.
As expected, I love this album and it's the best they've done since The Outer Limits. It's as much of a concept album that you can get, complete with a grand finale track that touches on all the previous songs on the album. (Like DT have done in the past.) Of course, Dan Mongrain is the champion of the album, but I have to give props to Away for his drumming. To a lot of people he's a pretty basic drummer, but on this, he's stepped it up. Snake sounds 20 years younger too, and comes up with a few cool voices I've never heard out of him. I never thought I would hear an orchestra on a Voivod album, but it works.
All in all, I give this a 9 Piggys out of 10.

What I find funny is to listen to War and Pain, then The Wake, and you would swear it's not the same band. Not even the same genre. : )

Indeed! When I read people saying the new album is "classic Voivod", I scratch my head a bit...like, which Voivod are you referring to? They've changed so much from an album to the next!

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2018, 04:21:31 AM »
Still loving this album and not getting sick of it like I do with others. They're touring Europe ATM and looks like a long time, ironically, that they do shows in Canada. Can't wait to see them here for sure. :metal

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2018, 08:52:05 AM »
Still loving this album and not getting sick of it like I do with others. They're touring Europe ATM and looks like a long time, ironically, that they do shows in Canada. Can't wait to see them here for sure. :metal

Chewy told me on Facebook that they'll be in Toronto early next year.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2018, 09:20:45 AM »

Chewy told me on Facebook that they'll be in Toronto early next year.

That is VERY good news.

Offline Bentower

« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2018, 02:53:38 AM »
Fantabulous album, easily their best since Phobos. That Chewy! :hefdaddy The drum sound has improved from the Post Society EP, but I thought the bass tone was close to perfect there. It's not much less so here, but it's not as loud in the mix and lacks some of that sweet, sweet grit.
I'll be getting a lot of mileage out of this one for sure!
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2018, 05:44:25 AM »
American tour just announced. I'll be seeing them in Toronto. :metal
Co-headlining with YOB, whoever the fuck that is. I hope they come back to do some headlining shows.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/yob-and-voivod-to-join-forces-for-spring-2019-north-american-tour/

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2018, 05:47:06 AM »
American tour just announced. I'll be seeing them in Toronto. :metal
Co-headlining with YOB, whoever the fuck that is. I hope they come back to do some headlining shows.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/yob-and-voivod-to-join-forces-for-spring-2019-north-american-tour/

So will I!

Offline Bentower

« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2018, 06:22:27 AM »
YOB is superb, psychedelic sludgy doom at its finest. Contemplative and crushing. IMO their 'Our Raw Heart' is one of the best albums of the year along with 'The Wake'. That's a mighty fine touring package you're getting. Amenra is my least favourite of the three, but they have their strengths as well.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2018, 06:42:41 AM »
Never heard of Yob.   But I'm a bit bummed there no NW dates.   Although it's pretty common for small tours to form a "funnel" from the better part of the east coast down to LA.   As a result, Denver, Phoenix, and usually Salt Lake City end up with these great shows....but Seattle is a big detour no one wants to hassle with.  :(

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2018, 06:50:32 AM »
They MUST be returning after this co-headlining tour with Yob. So far their only Canadian date is in T.O.
Not even a date in their native Quebec.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2018, 08:37:23 AM »
They MUST be returning after this co-headlining tour with Yob. So far their only Canadian date is in T.O.
Not even a date in their native Quebec.

Yeah, i'm surprised it took them so long to book that. I moved to T.O. in April 2017 and they haven't played here since a little longer before that.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2018, 10:51:47 AM »
 I will try to get an interview with Dan Mongrain, but just in case it doesn't happen, my ticket is already purchased for the Toronto gig! Now, on to get more familiarized with the other bands on the same bill!