Author Topic: VOIVOD is back!  (Read 10496 times)

Offline jammindude

VOIVOD is back!
« on: July 29, 2012, 09:47:19 AM »
...and so is Blacky on "blower bass" apparently!  The new album will be called Target Earth. 

Except for the new guitar player (obviously) the original band is back together and claiming the new album is something between Dimension Hatross and Nothingface.

If that's true...I'm a VERY happy camper.   Killing Technology and Dimension Hatross are classics, and I really liked Nothingface as well.   Angel Rat IMHO was even better, and The Outer Limits was amazing.    Didn't care for the stuff with Eric on vox.   And I was really excited for the Jasonic version...until I heard it.   It was OK, but the lyrics on the stuff I heard were absolute crap.     It sounds like the lyrics on the new stuff will be back to the cerebral vein of the classic era.

I'm stoked!!

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=176318
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
Re: VOIVOD is back!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 10:26:41 AM »
Sounds interesting.

I never got into modern Voivod much (beyond a song or two), but their progressive run (Nothingface -> The Outer Limits) is great and I even really like the two spacey death metal albums they did with Eric Forrest.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 10:44:10 AM »
Sounds interesting.

I never got into modern Voivod much (beyond a song or two), but their progressive run (Nothingface -> The Outer Limits) is great and I even really like the two spacey death metal albums they did with Eric Forrest.

If you've never heard Dimension Hatross (the one *before* Nothingface) please do so right away.   Same experimental feel as Nothingface...but heavier....I think better. 

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 10:45:06 AM »
I've heard it... a few times a long time ago.  It never really clicked with me much.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 09:53:05 PM »
I'm not holding out much hope. Voivod without Piggy is like Megadeth without Dave Mustaine.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 10:30:14 PM »
I'm not holding out much hope. Voivod without Piggy is like Megadeth without Dave Mustaine.

Well Dave really *IS* Megadeth.    But for me, it's hard to imagine Voivod without any of the original band.   The Eric Forrest album didn't feel like Voivod to me.   No Snake...no Voivod.    But then something was missing from the moment Blacky left as well.    And can you honestly picture any Voivod without Away's artwork and storytelling?   I couldn't. 

Voivod is truly a team effort in my eyes...whereas Megadeth is *just* Dave. 

I am greatly encouraged by two facts.   1) Blacky is back for his first album since Angel Rat.   2) Daniel Mongrain (going by "Chewy") is not just some hired gun.  He's a long time friend of Piggy and the band from their club days in the Quebec area, and he's a great guitarist in his own right.   Reviews of the concerts they've been playing with him have been singing nothing but praise for his performance, and his nod to the Piggy legacy. 

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 04:32:21 AM »
I never got to know why Newsted left that band.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 09:26:55 AM »
I never got to know why Newsted left that band.

I don't believe he just up and left...although I'm sure he had other things going on as well.   I just think that after Piggy died, they wanted to do another tour with Blacky.    I can only imagine the tour just went well enough that no one felt like stopping. 

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 12:48:36 PM »
I only heard of this band cause I'm a Jason Newsted fan and was always checking out his projects, I enjoyed the album he made with them. But "Jasonic" received a painful face palm reaction on my part :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »
A quick breakdown:

Snake - Vocals
Piggy - Guitars
Blacky - "Blower Bass"
Away - Drums (plus all lyrics, stories and artwork)

War and Pain (1984):
Slightly experimental, but basically a screamo punk/thrash album

RRROOOAAARRR!!! (1985)
Less experimental.  Purely a screaming thrash punk album.  The lyrics are the only thing proggish about these first two releases.  All of the first four albums tell the continuing story and adventures of the Voivod character.

Killing Technology (1987)
Still maintaining the thrash style vocals...but the music changes significantly.  Longer, more experimental tracks...deeper arrangements...and the infusion of jazz stylings.   Still pretty thrashy...but this is where Voivod *really* begins for me. 

Dimension Hatross (1988)
My favorite album.  First album with clean vocals.  Most rhythm and timing experiments yet.  Final album in the story of the Voivod. 

Nothingface (1989)
Most people consider this album to be their masterpiece.   Still metal...but what little thrash remained on Dimension Hatross is completely gone here.    There's a *brilliant* cover version of Pink Floyd's "Astronomy Domine"...and that pretty much captures the mood of this entire album.   A brilliant blend of Pink Floyd and metal. 

Angel Rat (1991)
Produced by Terry Brown.  Possibly *a bit* mellower than Nothingface...but mostly very similar.   Great album...fantastic album.  But misses Nothingface's brilliance by a hair. 

The Outer Limits (1993)
To be honest, I havn't heard it.   I've heard great reviews.   Most people say it's their proggiest album of all....and with the 17 minute song "Jack Luminous" it's hard to argue.   At the time the album came out, I was just caught up in other things.   This is the first album without the original bassist "Blacky" (the first sign that there was trouble within the band)   It was recorded as a trio.   The band was a mess, but the album is a cult classic.   They briefly broke up after this album. 

Negatron and Phobos (1995 and 1997)
Piggy and Away decided to replace Snake and Blacky with a single bass player/lead singer Eric Forrest.  Recorded as a trio.   Eric's vocals are a return to the screamo/cookie monster vocals of the first three albums.  I never got into it.  I'm not against screaming vocals...it just wasn't Voivod any more to me.  The band broke up again. 

Voivod, Katorz and Infini (2003-2009)
Jason Newsted joined Voivod as "Jasonic" on bass and original vocalist Snake came back.  I've heard very little of these albums.   Some songs are better than others.   The stuff from the first self titled album sounded pretty awesome.   But Piggy died in 2005.   Katorz was recorded while he was still alive, but released posthumously.  Infini was pieced together from Piggy's final demos.   Most people thought they were done.   

The tour with Daniel (Chewy)...and Blacky coming back after 20 years motivated them to write new stuff.     I think having all the living original band back together again with an old friend from their clubbing days bodes well for new material.   But only "The Unknown Knows"...

I would also add that if anyone is a fan of early thrash.   (i.e.  If you love albums like Kill Em All, Fistful of Metal, Show No Mercy, early Motorhead, Venom, Sodom, Destruction material...)  Then you really need to hear War and Pain.   You wouldn't even recognize it as the same band who recorded Nothingface...but it's a pretty cool album in its own right. 

One of the cool things about this band is how drastically they changed over the years.   Their first two albums sound like awesome Venom demos (awesome if you like Venom) and then in the course of just five years and five albums, they completely shift to one of the most experimental trippy Floyd-metal bands of the late 80's.   Yet each album seems like a natural predecessor to the next.   It was cool hearing them from the beginning and growing with them. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 08:24:14 PM »
I've been spinning Target Earth lately. This album is just phenomenal. I can't believe how good they sound.

Like Dimension Hatross, it's a grower...but at this stage I'm getting a very similar vibe, and it may even be DH's equal.

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 10:03:59 PM »
I quite like it and you're right, it is a grower. I was a bit disappointed at first, but it got a lot better with each subsequent listen.

I haven't listened to it in a while, I might have to rectify that. :)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 07:45:33 AM »
 I am bumping this topic because I am going to see Voivod headline  for the first time next month. I just picked up the brand-new EP called Post Society and I'm really digging it. It made me dig up some of their older albums that I hadn't heard in years and I'm officially on a Voivod kick.

I had forgotten how fantastic some of these albums are, and Piggy has just impressed me more and more as being a one of a kind.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2018, 07:38:22 PM »
I'm resurrecting this ANCIENT thread to say that I received the new Voivod album today, and will be interviewing them next Saurday! If you have any questions for them, let me know.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 09:13:28 PM »
I'm resurrecting this ANCIENT thread to say that I received the new Voivod album today, and will be interviewing them next Saurday! If you have any questions for them, let me know.

Mostly, I just want to know the their side of the story on the Blacky split.   Not sure how close to the chest they would play their answer...but it's the biggest issue on my mind.  I think Blacky said something to the press when it happened, but I'm not sure I've heard the band's side of things.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 09:14:32 PM »
So this thread...is about a band?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 09:15:13 PM »

:facepalm:

:rollin

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 09:15:52 PM »

Only one of the best progressive metal bands of all time.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 09:23:01 PM »
TBH Bosk, I don't think you'd like them....but it would depend. 

They are one of the most influential underground bands to come out of the 80s/90s.....but one of the reasons is because they changed so drastically.

Their first two albums are almost pure screamo thrash punk. 

Third albums is progressive thrash, but still with a lot of screaming.

Fourth album went even more progressive and the singer adopted a new...weird...erie style of speaking that fit the spacey-ness of the new direction.

Album 5 was almost pure space-rock progressive (and by far their most popular) they even had a hit covering Pink Floyd's Astronomy Domine.   

Albums 6 got slightly more commercial and was produced by Terry Brown.  Album 7 was similar. 

Then they broke up for a while and got super heavy thrashy and screamo again with a new lead singer for two albums.  Then they reformed with their original lead singer and Jason Newsted on bass for 2 albums (3 albums?) and just did some straight up regular hard rock albums....not very progressive.   

Then the guitar player died and they were done for a long time, but they've reformed to their most popular sound which was around album 4 when they first got really progressive/thrash. 

So the band you hear will vary DRASTICALLY depending on the album you hear.   

Offline jammindude

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 09:26:10 PM »
My personal suggestion is one of my favorites from Nothingface (their 5th, and most popular album).

The song is Missing Sequences:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFEB6Mn0rw4

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2018, 10:39:40 PM »
LOVE me some Voivod.

I just recently got the Japanese reissues of my Holy Grail run of albums - Nothingface, Angel Rat, and The Outer Limits. These are not remasters, just the original masters.

They've said their new album is very progressive with long songs. Bring it on! New album on 9/21.

Langevin told the Impact metal channel that the band's next record would be "a concept album, very intricate. It's very progressive thrash. Lots of psychedelia as well. The songs are pretty long. There is only one short rocker; all the rest is progressive music. It's a continuation of [2016's] 'Post Society' [EP]."

"The Wake" track listing:

01. Obsolete Beings
02. The End Of Dormancy
03. Orb Confusion
04. Iconspiracy
05. Spherical Perspective
06. Event Horizon
07. Always Moving
08. Sonic Mycelium
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2018, 02:06:16 AM »

Mostly, I just want to know the their side of the story on the Blacky split.   Not sure how close to the chest they would play their answer...but it's the biggest issue on my mind.  I think Blacky said something to the press when it happened, but I'm not sure I've heard the band's side of things.
Away answers that in this interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFFzqveDNxU

New song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ToK9VLJcxU

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2018, 03:03:25 AM »
TBH Bosk, I don't think you'd like them....but it would depend. 

They are one of the most influential underground bands to come out of the 80s/90s.....but one of the reasons is because they changed so drastically.

Their first two albums are almost pure screamo thrash punk. 

Third albums is progressive thrash, but still with a lot of screaming.

Fourth album went even more progressive and the singer adopted a new...weird...erie style of speaking that fit the spacey-ness of the new direction.

Album 5 was almost pure space-rock progressive (and by far their most popular) they even had a hit covering Pink Floyd's Astronomy Domine.   

Albums 6 got slightly more commercial and was produced by Terry Brown.  Album 7 was similar. 

Then they broke up for a while and got super heavy thrashy and screamo again with a new lead singer for two albums.  Then they reformed with their original lead singer and Jason Newsted on bass for 2 albums (3 albums?) and just did some straight up regular hard rock albums....not very progressive.   

Then the guitar player died and they were done for a long time, but they've reformed to their most popular sound which was around album 4 when they first got really progressive/thrash. 

So the band you hear will vary DRASTICALLY depending on the album you hear.   

VERY accurate summary. I don't know all their albums in detail, but the ones I like are still in heavy rotation here.

One thing I'll have to be very mindful of when I talk to them - don't know yet if it will be Snake or Away - is that I want to ask them about Terry Brown, but apparently they didn't enjoy working with him, and didn't like Angel Rat all that much.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2018, 05:49:30 AM »
Voivod is in my top 5 fav bands. :hefdaddy
Looking forward to the new album. I was crushed when Denis D'amour died, and I thought that was the end of the band.
But... I've got to give mega props to Dan Mongrain for picking up the torch. When he writes Voivod music, he stays within the style of D'amour. He started as a fan, and became his favorite bands guitarist. The guy is a very versatile musician/instructor, and plays in some other great bands in Quebec. From death metal to folk music.
He's so nice that I messaged him on Facebook to find out how to play the opening riff to "Clouds in my House", and he sent me a photo of the handwritten tablature.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2018, 05:51:05 AM »

I'd like to know the same. I heard it was a very bad/personal split between Blacky and Away.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2018, 05:57:52 AM »

If you happen to speak with Dan, I'd like to know if he's working on releasing the tab books for Nothingface/Angel Rat/The Outer Limits. (He's been working on transcribing the guitar for these albums.)

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2018, 07:20:35 AM »
Nobody writes riffs like Piggy  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2018, 07:21:58 AM »
The new album is everything a Voivod fan could ask for: heavy, proggy and weird in all the right places!

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2018, 07:34:17 AM »

I learned the whole Nothingface album by ear back in the day. Took a long time and a different way of thinking.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2018, 12:53:03 PM »

I learned the whole Nothingface album by ear back in the day. Took a long time and a different way of thinking.

I'm not a guitar player, but to my ears, their guitar sound always seemed rather weird and unconventional - the dissonant chords are hard to ignore. I guess my perception was right then!

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2018, 09:14:47 PM »
That's what I love about them so much.. that dirty, punk, thr :metalash, garage sound.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2018, 04:38:35 AM »

If you happen to speak with Dan, I'd like to know if he's working on releasing the tab books for Nothingface/Angel Rat/The Outer Limits. (He's been working on transcribing the guitar for these albums.)

The interview is confirmed for today, and it'll be with Snake. But I'll try to ask him that question, and I'll post the link to it when it's published.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2018, 05:15:44 AM »

The interview is confirmed for today, and it'll be with Snake. But I'll try to ask him that question, and I'll post the link to it when it's published.
Can you please ask him if they plan to release a live album or DVD anytime soon?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2018, 07:43:08 AM »
Will do!

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2018, 07:48:38 AM »
Will do!
Thank you! Much appreciated!  ;D