Author Topic: Keeping Up Appearances  (Read 2001 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Keeping Up Appearances
« on: July 29, 2012, 06:56:20 AM »
The man who played Onslow, Geoffrey Hughes, passed away yesterday... so that prompted me to see if there was a KoA thread and there wasn't!  Anyone else love this British comedy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xqP9TJ4ufA
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
Re: Keeping Up Appearances
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 08:23:05 AM »
Have to say it does make me chuckle, I think I must have seen every episode at least once, it seemed to be on GOLD all the time at one point. Shame he passed away, I liked his character in The Royle Family too.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 09:02:26 AM »
At my band old rehearsal space we used to have a TV that had only one channel and everytime during the day they always aired reruns of Heartbeat or Back to Aidensfield as it was called in Sweden so everytime you had lunch or something that was the show you were stuck with!  :lol It didn't took long before you were "hooked" and knew every freakin character from Scripps to Greengrass!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 09:11:46 AM »
At the top of my "list of things I hate" are terrorists, people who talk in theaters, and Keeping Up Appearances.

When I was in seventh grade I lived with my dad and my step-mom. It was an overly-religious household (but I won't get into that too much), the TV was rarely on, and when it was, nothing above PG was acceptable. I was surprised they watched the Fresh Prince in the evening, given that my sisters typically enjoyed Veggie Tales and various animated biblical stories. I knew that anything I enjoyed was out of the question. For instance, The Force was too "new age," so Star Wars never flew in that place. Anything with magic was even worse. Because of this, I was forced to watch a lot of stuff I gave absolutely zero shits about. Anne of Green Gables, some stupid Christie series, and every night my step-mom would try to force to to watch "Miss Bucket." Miss fucking Bucket.

"Oh, it's absolutely hilarious. You'll love it! Her last name is Bucket but she pronounces it Bouquet!"

Hardy fucking har.

/rant
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 09:32:22 AM »
At the top of my "list of things I hate" are terrorists, people who talk in theaters, and Keeping Up Appearances.

When I was in seventh grade I lived with my dad and my step-mom. It was an overly-religious household (but I won't get into that too much), the TV was rarely on, and when it was, nothing above PG was acceptable. I was surprised they watched the Fresh Prince in the evening, given that my sisters typically enjoyed Veggie Tales and various animated biblical stories. I knew that anything I enjoyed was out of the question. For instance, The Force was too "new age," so Star Wars never flew in that place. Anything with magic was even worse. Because of this, I was forced to watch a lot of stuff I gave absolutely zero shits about. Anne of Green Gables, some stupid Christie series, and every night my step-mom would try to force to to watch "Miss Bucket." Miss fucking Bucket.

"Oh, it's absolutely hilarious. You'll love it! Her last name is Bucket but she pronounces it Bouquet!"

Hardy fucking har.

/rant

I'm sorry your experience sucked... my Grandma had me watch it because Onslow was wearing a Packer shirt in a few episodes.

I'm surprised that she watched it... Rose was basically a whore, and there are tons of innuendos. 

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 09:41:37 AM »
I've watched it many times since it's been shown here in Sweden for a couple of years now.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 10:25:41 AM »
Hilarious show. My favourite running gag was Elizabeth always breaking dishes.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 10:29:30 AM »
I like it.

It's not as good as the other British shows that I watched on PBS 'back in the day,' but it wasn't bad.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 05:12:16 PM »
IMO there's much better Brit-coms out there.  Hyacinth always annoyed me to no end - I'd blissfully forgotten about her until splent posted that link.... >:(

:P

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 12:14:10 AM »
"The Boqueeeeeeeet residence, lady of the house speaking?"
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 09:27:04 AM »
IMO there's much better Brit-coms out there.  Hyacinth always annoyed me to no end - I'd blissfully forgotten about her until splent posted that link.... >:(

:P

She is supposed to be annoying that's the beauty of it

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 12:01:57 PM »
I KNOW she's supposed to be annoying! :angry: :angry: :angry:   That's what makes her such a bitch IMO.