Author Topic: Zook’s Top 50 Albums Thread! v. A New #1 Has Been Crowned  (Read 34790 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Zook’s Top 50 Albums Thread!
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2012, 06:47:58 AM »
I remember Megadeth losing me with Youthanasia. A couple of years ago, I went back and revisited it, and yes, it is very good. But I remember hating it when it came out.

Youthanasia is my favourite Megadeth album, although I wouldn't call myself a huge Megadeth fan, or a thrash metal fan in general, so that speaks for itself. Probably one reason why The Black Album is likely my favourite Metallica album, although I love all of their thrash era stuff too.

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2012, 06:59:57 AM »
I remember Megadeth losing me with Youthanasia. A couple of years ago, I went back and revisited it, and yes, it is very good. But I remember hating it when it came out.

Youthanasia is my favourite Megadeth album, although I wouldn't call myself a huge Megadeth fan, or a thrash metal fan in general, so that speaks for itself. Probably one reason why The Black Album is likely my favourite Metallica album, although I love all of their thrash era stuff too.

A lot of bands seemed to release "sub par" (how I felt)  albums at that time. Bands like Helloween (Pink Bubbles), Dio (Lock Up The Wolves), Queensryche (Empire) and Gary Moore (Still Got The Blues).
Oddly, what they all have in common, Megadeth and Metallica included, is that all of these albums have aged wonderfully.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2012, 07:07:19 AM »

A lot of bands seemed to release "sub par" (how I felt)  albums at that time. Bands like Helloween (Pink Bubbles), Dio (Lock Up The Wolves), Queensryche (Empire) and Gary Moore (Still Got The Blues).
Oddly, what they all have in common, Megadeth and Metallica included, is that all of these albums have aged wonderfully.

I'm not familiar with some of those, but Lock Up The Wolves is one of my favourite Dio albums. :lol Go figure.

And obviously I got into these albums long after the fact, rather than following the bands as these came out, so the departure in style of some of these albums didn't affect me.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2012, 08:11:50 AM »
Following.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2012, 08:33:07 AM »
How are the vocals on Green Carnation?

Mostly clean vocals.  It didn't make my top 50 but I definitely dig that album  :tup

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2012, 01:19:03 PM »

Youthanasia is my favourite Megadeth album,
Same here, their old thrashy stuff is pretty good but I just don't get as much from it. I think Countdown... was their first really good album, but Youthanasia is their peak IMO.

I still don't really like Pink Bubbles much, but oddly I really really Chameleon, there's just something really fun and charming about it. It's one of my favourite Helloween albums. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2012, 01:24:14 PM »
Yeah, liking Chameleon is pretty odd! ;D It's actually not that bad. It's milke half a Kiske solo album and half a Wekeith album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2012, 08:15:03 PM »
Sorry for the delay. On with the countdown!

Coming in at #41:

41.  Blind Guardian – A Night At The Opera (2002)

This album gives me a headache. No seriously, it does. Hansi’s vocals are so layered and his vocals are so high that half way through the album I’m in need of Tylenol. So why is this higher than those below it? Because it’s still an awesome album! Blind Guardian have been changing their sound with every album, with their first two albums being thrash/speed/power metal and then from  Power Metal back to Thrash, and with Nightfall In Middle Earth, they started introducing more symphonic elements with big bombastic choir choruses. A Night At The Opera took this even further with granduous keyboards, and the addition of about 12 Hansi clones. If you like lead guitar, and kick ass drumming, you’ll love this album. But the best thing about this album is the 14 minute epic And Then There Was Silence. Epic doesn’t describe how epic this song is. Based on Homer’s The Iliad, ATTWS is a nonstop thrill ride of Symphonic Metal awesomeness. They recently re-recorded the song for their best of CD, but it just doesn’t compare to the original. It’s a truly great song. But don’t take my word for it.

Recommended tracks: Battlefield, Under The Ice, Sadly Sings Destiny, Wait For An Answer, And Then There Was Silence

40. Evanescence – Evanescence (2011)

While female fronted rock bands weren’t new, Evanescence were a breath of fresh air just as Linkin Park were 3 years before them. Although Fallen wasn’t very creative guitar-wise, it still managed to be catchy, and rock pretty hard too, introducing the world to front woman, Amy Lee. She may not be Ann Wilson, but she can belt it out. Evanescence returned with The Open Door, with some lineup changes and major disappointment by me. I just couldn’t get in to it. Lee was belting out the chords for sure, but it all seemed, I don’t know, forced. The songs lacked catchiness and were just meh. I had pretty much written them off at that point and continued listening to their demo stuff which I find far superior to their official releases anyway. 5 years later, with more lineup changes and a slightly changed direction, they would release their self-titled album, and what an album. Amy Lee wanted the band to be more involved in the writing and it shows. The gothic tone is more or less gone, but they stepped it up in every other regard. Lee still has the pipes, and her new band mates can rock out. The first single What You Want isn’t a good representative of the sound of this album, so if you heard that song and thought it sucked, give the other tracks a try. They’re great. Also, apparently Bjork was an influence on this album. Gory stool, bro.

Recommended tracks: Made Of Stone, The Change, My Heart Is Broken, Erase This, Oceans, Never Go Back

39. Within Temptation – The Silent Force (2004)

Although I liked WT’s dark ,gothic, symphonic second album, Mother Earth, I like their new poppier sound more. That doesn’t mean they can’t turn up the metal, but more on that later. With The Silent Force, WT toned it down and made a nice pop album, but kept the beautiful symphonic arrangements they’re known for. This is an album to sit back and relax to, letting Sharon Den Adel’s angelic vocals soothe you. Not that there aren’t any rockers here. See Who I Am starts the album off with a bang (I need a new term now) with a heavy bombastic chorus. Every song on TSF could be a single, and while some could argue that that makes them sound the same, every song here has its own identity. And that’s all I have to say about that.

Recommended tracks: See Who I Am, Stand My Ground, Angels, Memories, Somewhere

Some more honorable mentions:

Redemption - The Fullness Of Time (2005)
This album probably would have made my top 50 if it wasn't for Parker's Eyes. It's just not that good. Every other song is killer. /Jon Schaffer

Iced Earth - Alive In Athens (1999)
Speaking of Schaffer, while not technically an album per say, I needed to mention Alive in Athens. It's my favorite live album, has my favorite version of my favorite IE song (A Question Of Haaven) and just all around slays. I don't care if there was studio trickery afoot. Alive In Athens owns.

Psychostick - We Couldn't Think Of A Title (2003/2006)
I have to mention one of the inspirations for KrotchRaut. While I don't like Psychostick's other albums, WCTOAT is a great debut and is funny as hell, and fucking :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2012, 09:11:43 PM »
Alive in Athens is a fantastic live album.  Not overly familiar with your other picks.  What I've heard from Redemption and BG is good.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2012, 09:18:12 PM »
I dig that Evanescence album.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2012, 10:00:54 PM »
3 more before bed:

38. Missy Higgins – The Sound Of White (2004)

Missy Higgins can be described as a cross between Vanessa Carlton, Michelle Branch, and The Goo Goo Dolls. I discovered her through my girlfriend who’s a big fan, and although my girlfriend usually listens to mostly crap, Missy Higgins is great. Since I’ve been with my girlfriend, I’ve started liking some of the actual good music she listens to, that being the female fronted singer/songwriters like Higgins. Being Australian, she’s really big down under and has received rewards, but I don’t hear too much about her over here besides the one song they play at my work. Anyway, this album moved up a few more ranks today as it’s just that good. Give it a try.

Recommended tracks: All For Believing, Scar, The River, The Special Two, This Is How It Goes, The Sound Of White

37. Metallica - …And Justice For all (1988)

Metallica’s most progressive album, and containing Lars’ best and craziest drumming, it’s still not their best, but it’s still one hell of an album. Sure the bass is inaudible, but I can look past that since everything else is top notch. Hetfield’s playing is better than ever, and as I said, Lars puts on a clinic. Kirk solos and stuff, and they're good too. Now I’ve read that the drum parts may have some studio trickery, and that’s probably true :lol but it all sounds good to me. Blackened is Metallica’s best opener beginning with a backwards guitar melody and a sudden kick in the face. One tells us about the horrors of war being trapped inside yourself after being blown to smitherines, and after a mellow first half, explodes into one of their most famous metal moments. The Frayed Ends Of Sanity has one of the coolest drum fills I’ve even heard at the 4 minute mark, and I’m kind of glad they don’t play this live as Lars would either skip the fill or butcher it. AJFA contains what might be the first emo song in Dyer’s Eve, but it’s so metal you don’t care. Fans praise Master Of Puppets as Metallica’s best, but I think AJFA is better.

Recommended tracks: Blackened, …And Justice For All, Harvester Of Sorrow, The Frayed Ends of Sanity

36. Iron Maiden – The Number Of The Beast (1982)

Iron Maiden’s third effort introduced their second singer Bruce Dickinson to the world. Now, he used to sing in a band called Samson, but I don’t think anyone cared. TNOTB also introduced a new style for the band, leaving the punk elements behind and going for a full on metal sound. We’re shown early on what Dickinson is capable of with his wails, and although some disagree, Bruce is a major step up from Paul Di’anno who can’t hold a candle to Bruce. I actually like opener, Invaders which is a great up tempo rocker. 22 Acacia Avenue continues the story of Charlotte The Harlot from the first album with the narrator wanting to take her away from the prostitute lifestyle. The Number Of The Beast is about killing children and worshiping the devil which is always cool. :neverusethis: My favorite on the album is Hallowed Be Thy Name which is about a man’s final thoughts before being hanged. The solo section and ending are godly. Although not their best, this is one of Maiden’s definitive albums and deserves the praise it gets.

Recommended tracks: The Prisoner, 22 Acacia Ave., The Number Of The Beast, Hallowed Be Thy Name

Honorable Mentions:

The Goo Goo Dolls - Greatest Hits (2007)
If this wasn't a greatest hits album and they didn't rerecord an inferior version of their classic, Name, this would be on my top 50. If you ever wanted to check out TGGD, start here, but look for the original version of Name. This one sucks.

Iced Earth - The Dark Saga (1996)
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the album. It has a my favorite IE song, and all the other songs are good as well. It kind of lacks a punch, but it's still a great album.

Disturbed - Ten Thousand Fists (2005)
This is Disturbed's last great album, and would have made the top 50, but there are a couple filler songs on here with Draiman's signature "repeat the first verse" lyrics and while I don't mind that if the songs are good, these songs are forgettable.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2012, 10:41:04 PM »
Metallica.   :metal

Maiden.   :metal
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2012, 10:43:10 PM »
Cool picks with Metallica and Maiden, haven't heard the other one. Ten Thousand Fists is one of Disturbeds worst IMO. Heaps of filler.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2012, 10:43:44 PM »
The Iced Earth, Metallica and Maiden picks are all very solid and would make my list too.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2012, 10:52:33 PM »
Ten Thousand Fists is one of Disturbeds worst IMO.

I respectfully disagree.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2012, 12:18:55 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2012, 01:28:52 AM »
Great choices with the Maiden and Metallica albums (love 'em both), but I've always strongly disliked Missy Higgins' voice (Being Australian, I've heard her stuff around often enough)

I never thought I'd say that in the same sentence. :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2012, 02:27:56 AM »
This is a damn fine list so far dude.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2012, 03:19:19 AM »
Some great albums in the last page.
I love that Within Temptation album. And not just because Sharon is the hottest woman in Europe. This album is their best.

I'm a new convert to Blind Guardian. Only have this and At The Edge Of Time. Still not totally absorbed them yet but working on it. They sound excellent so far.

Nothing else needing to be said about TNOTB. A worthy follow up with a new singer from the awesome Killers.

AJFA would be a great album with a decent production and if the drummer had used drums rather than biscuit tins.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2012, 03:29:17 AM »
Classic Metallica and Maiden albums, but I also have to give you a nod for including Come what(ever) may in your list, a great album.  :tup

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2012, 03:29:35 AM »
Great choices with the Maiden and Metallica albums (love 'em both), but I've always strongly disliked Missy Higgins' voice (Being Australian, I've heard her stuff around often enough)

I never thought I'd say that in the same sentence. :lol

Her voice took some getting used to, but I like it now.

Thanks mate :tup

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2012, 04:06:22 AM »
A night at the opera, and justice for all, the number of the beast :2metal: :2metal::2metal::2metal::2metal::2metal:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2012, 05:03:55 AM »

Rich is right. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2012, 05:07:29 AM »
:ariich:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2012, 06:25:21 AM »
Tally-ho!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2012, 08:31:24 AM »
And Justice For All - the bass-less 'tallica album  :lol   I still love it, though  :hat

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2012, 09:47:55 AM »
Alive In Athens is the Frampton Comes Alive of heavy metal.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2012, 09:58:47 AM »
Blind Guardian seems to be one of those bands slip my mind in my huge catalog, then when I get around to listening to them I ask myself why I don't listen more often.  A Night at the Opera ended a fantastic 3 album run by them, and after the hiccup that was A Twist In the Myth, they seem to have found their groove again on the latest album.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2012, 11:03:01 AM »
Alive In Athens is the Frampton Comes Alive of heavy metal.

Up there with ManOwar's Live On Stage as the best metal live album. Stop laughing at the back, I'm serious.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2012, 11:23:33 AM »
I've never really enjoyed Evanescense, or headaches....

With that being said, the last update is much more up my alley!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2012, 11:37:52 AM »
I've never really enjoyed Evanescense, or headaches....

With that being said, the last update is much more up my alley!

lol Even though I knew it might, I wasn't trying to steer people away from A Night At The Opera. It really is a great album, just a little loud.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2012, 11:50:48 AM »
Blind Guardian seems to be one of those bands slip my mind in my huge catalog, then when I get around to listening to them I ask myself why I don't listen more often. A Night at the Opera ended a fantastic 3 album run by them, and after the hiccup that was A Twist In the Myth, they seem to have found their groove again on the latest album.

What he said there.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2012, 07:24:25 PM »
UPDATE!

35. Pathosray – Pathosray (2007)

I discovered this band while browsing the list of bands playing at Prog Power 2008 and was pleasantly surprised at how good they were. Pathosray plays a brand of Prog Metal with some thrash thrown in with great execution. Sort of a Dream Theater meets Blind Guardian. Singer Marco Sandron often channels 90s James LaBrie when he’s hitting the high notes and he does that a lot. The instrumental sections are great and don’t seem out of place, and definitely kick ass. I especially like the keyboard work on this album. Unfortunately Pathosray’s second album was a stinker, but they did improve on their production. I just wish the debut had Sunless Skies production sound. The debut doesn’t sound the greatest production wise. Production. Pathosray’s self titled debut has great music and melodies to keep you listening the whole way through, and a singer that could have gone up against James LaBrie in his prime.

Recommended tracks: The first 6

34. Disturbed – The Sickness (2000)

July 18, 2001. That was the day I became an official Disturbed fan. Why do I know this exact date? Because We saw Jurassic Park III opening day, and afterwards we stopped in K-Mart, and that’s where I bought Disturbed's debut album, The Sickness. At first, I didn’t really care for them, but that was mostly influenced by my step-dad’s dislike for the song Stupify. They would later release Voices and Down With The Sickness as singles and they were definitely better than Stupify, but I wasn’t quite convinced. It wasn’t until I bought the album that they grew on me like the plague. Funny how that works. I’m sure everyone has heard at least one song from this album, and I know the majority at DTF doesn’t like them, so I won’t bother trying to convert anyone. This album changed my music world. The way vocalist David Draiman sang and still does sing is unique, and his strange barks add flavor to the songs. Dan Donegan isn’t a world class guitar player, but the man can play, and the riffs on The Sickness are, well, sick. Although I grew up with classic rock, and Metallica and Megadeth singles on the radio, I was never really a metal fan, so this was my first real exposure to metal. Yes, this is a metal album. I can thank drummer Mike Wengren for my interest in drums as his playing is great with the use of double bass which becomes more prominent on future releases. I love double bass. Also, their cover of Tears For Fears’ Shout blows the original out of the water. Anyway, Disturbed is large in part of why I got into metal and The Sickness will always be a special album to me.

Recommended tracks: The Game, Violence Fetish, Fear, Shout 2000, Meaning Of Life

33. Suspyre – The Silvery Image (2005)

I first heard this band back in 2006, but didn’t really give them the time of day. 2 years ago I decided to check them out again and they clicked. Well, their debut album clicked. I’ve read that Symphony X was not an influence on the band, but they could’ve fooled me. Even singer, Clay Barton sounds like Russell Allen at times. The style of The Silvery Image is Power Prog with a couple songs having some harsher vocals thrown in, which admittingly I still don’t care for that much. I love prog metal with great instrumental sections and this album delivers. Great solos from both guitars and keyboards and there is even some saxophone. The Breath Of Gloria features a female vocalist who sounds lovely. I just said lovely… Suspyre lost me with their next albums, as they dropped the power metal element and started doing more technical stuff devoid of melody, but The Silvery Image was a stellar start to their career. I just said stellar…

Recommended tracks: Father Of Hate, Distant Skies, Waterburns, Last Of The Survivors

Mentionous Honorabolis:

Stone Sour - Stone Sour (2002)
My older brother got me interested in this album during our drunken escapades where he'd be singing along and playing air guitar. Most of the songs are great.

Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time (2010)
Wow, this album came out 2 years ago. It doesn't seem like it was that long ago. The next time I do a top 50, ATEOT might replace ANATO. There really isn't a bad song here.

Aeon Zen - The Face Of The Unknown (2010)
Someone recommended this album at the Circus Maximus forum because of Michael Eriksen's involvement. He sings on two of the songs, one being The Heart of The Sun, my favorite on the album. Not all the songs are up to par though, but it's still a great listen.

Sorry, I can only do 3 entries tonight. I have to get to bed soon. Didn't get much of a nap today.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2012, 10:30:50 PM »
The Sickness.   :metal
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Zook’s Top 50 Albums Thread! v. #35-33
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2012, 08:45:30 PM »
The Sickness.   :metal

OWAKAKAKA

I'm going to bust out 6 updates tomorrow. Don't worry, I'm not going to slow my pace. Today was just a busy day.