Author Topic: Zook’s Top 50 Albums Thread! v. A New #1 Has Been Crowned  (Read 34814 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Zook’s Top 50 Albums Thread! v. Gazuntight
« Reply #210 on: September 06, 2012, 11:23:09 AM »
Nice to see Iced Earth make it so high, but a surprising selection

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #211 on: September 06, 2012, 11:28:48 AM »
It's IE's best album. What can I say? :D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: September 06, 2012, 02:00:59 PM »

cool, where would you rank Dark Saga and Horror Show?

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #213 on: September 06, 2012, 02:16:53 PM »

cool, where would you rank Dark Saga and Horror Show?

Shit, I ranked their albums a couple years ago. I'd have to think about it. Back atcha latah.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #214 on: September 06, 2012, 02:17:52 PM »
The best IE album is definitely Alive in Athens. :biggrin:
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: September 06, 2012, 02:19:01 PM »

I had bought the 3 disc edition.  It really is an awesome performance.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: September 06, 2012, 02:20:11 PM »
Isolate is a great album though I prefer The First Chapter more.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #217 on: September 06, 2012, 02:21:48 PM »

Yes and yes! It's all you really need from them. Athens is the Frampton Comes Alive of heavy metal.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #218 on: September 06, 2012, 02:45:35 PM »

Yes and yes! It's all you really need from them. Athens is the Frampton Comes Alive of heavy metal.
Exactly. The version of A Question of Heaven is worth the price alone, and never fails to send chills down my spine.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #219 on: September 06, 2012, 04:40:23 PM »

Exactly. The version of A Question of Heaven is worth the price alone, and never fails to send chills down my spine.

I agree, and I also agree that AiA is the best them, but Night Of The Stormrider is also the best them.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: September 06, 2012, 06:01:51 PM »
Love Stormrider.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #221 on: September 06, 2012, 06:03:15 PM »
Something like this I guess:

Night of the Stormrider
Burnt Offerings
Something Wicked This Way Comes
Iced Earth (Days Of Purgatory Edition)
The Dark Saga
Horror Show
Framing Armageddon
The Crucible of Man
The Glorious Burden
Iced Earth
Dystopia

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #222 on: September 07, 2012, 03:51:17 PM »

First IE album I bought and still probably the best.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #223 on: September 08, 2012, 11:22:48 AM »

First IE album I bought and still probably the best.

The Glorious Burden was my first IE album ,and then I think it was the 3 disc AiA, and then a huge haul from Amazon.

UPDATE TIME:

Coming in at

2. Dream Theater – Images And Words (1992)

Some of you might know this album. HAHA I BET YOU NEVER HEARD THAT JOKE BEFORE! ... Anyway, A little history about Images And Words. The year was 2006 and I was starting to get into more bands like Kamelot, Nightwish, and Symphony X, when I decided after disregarding Dream Theater for a while because I read criticisms that turned me off (all which were either false or just stupid) I finally decided to give them a chance. I downloaded Surrounded and it took a long time to finally appreciate it, but every time I’d make a mix CD, it would always end up on one. I still have the first mix CD I made with it. So I finally decided to check out the rest of the album. I found a nifty place but the only file available said the first track was corrupt. So I acquired it and listened. The first song, Pull Me Under was indeed fucked up. It cut off at the end! I found a way around this by just fading the ending. I still have that copy of the CD too. It wasn’t until I discovered DTF that I found out that the ending is supposed to “stop suddenly”. In the meantime, I still listened to that particular burned copy and loved it more and more every day. One of my friends got it for me as a Christmas present that year. I was listening to both Scenes From A Memory and Images and Words at the same time, and I bought Scenes first as it was the only one Best Buy had.

Now that I’ve bored you with a history lesson, let’s move on to the songs. Pull Me Under is actually my least favorite from the album, but it’s still a 9/10 to me. Once you actually pay attention to the end, it’s pretty clear it doesn’t just cut off. Another Day is a great ballad, which may have a cheesy saximuhphone, but I quite like the sax. Very touching lyrics, some hilarious misheard lyrics, and wonderful solo here. Take The Time, my second favorite from the album is pretty epic. A great sing along song, with upbeat, happy music where everyone has a chance to shine. Kevin Moore’s solo is my favorite of the entire DT catalog and the instrumental section is just awesome. My first and still #1 Dream Theater song, Surrounded is an experience every time I listen to it. The lyrics don’t make much sense, but that doesn’t stop me from singing my head off. Everything about this song is perfect. James sounds amazing and the atmosphere of the song just makes you feel good. This would definitely be in my top 5 favorite songs of all time. Metropolis Part I is a weird song. it has a long intro, no choruses, and a 4 minute instrumental section of utter chaos… And I love it. The intro is fucking epic, the different verses have amazing vocal melodies to where a chorus isn’t necessary (not that one should be) and I fucking love long instrumental sections. This one is a rollercoaster of awesomeness, and it’s even catchy. I’ll always remember leaving work one day and waiting at a stop light. The instrumental section was coming to an end, and I had it blasting with the windows open and a guy in a truck sitting diagonal from me turns around and just glares at me. It was hilarious.

Under a Glass Moon contains more confusing lyrics, and Petrucci’s best solo. This is a solid rocker with some great double bass work. Oh and some more great misheard lyrics. An addition to JP’s awesome solo, the whole instrumental before and after is amazing. Did I mention I love instrumental sections? I guess I like Pull Me Under more than Wait For Sleep, but I see Wait For Sleep as more of an intro or interlude to Learning To live. It’s a great little “song” with great melodies and singing from LaBrie, and of course some nice soothing piano. Learning To Live closes the album in a huge way. The intro and verses leading up to the instrumental section are all wonderful, but my favorite part of the song? DAT INSTRUMENTAL SECTION. Starting with a sort of Spanish acoustic section and then getting heavier, but still mellow and atmospheric and then someone rips James’ balls off right in the middle of some “whoas” and he hits the most beautiful note ever. Then JP bends some beautiful notes and Kevin Murr and JP do a nice little unison and Schroader from Peanuts gives us a reprise from Wait For Sleep, and JP and KM finish it off with more epic melody before returning to the final chorus. The ending though. Those final “whoas” just give me the chills. It’s epic, it’s grandiose (in a non pretentious sort of way), it’s just… a phenomenal ending to an amazing song. Images And Words rules. Discovering Dream Theater was one of the greatest things to happen to me musically, and I’m glad this was the album that started it all. Every song is brilliant. Not a moment I dislike. Musical perfection. 

Recommended tracks: Images And Words

HMs:

Vienna Teng - Warm Strangers (2004)
I discovered this singer/songwriter through my... Fry's radio. aside from the nice poppy single, Harbor, the whole album is surprisingly good. Well except one song. I don't really like Passage at all. It's just her singing with no instruments, but there aren't any good melodies.

Metallica - Master Of Puppets (1986)
There are a couple songs I don't really care for, but the rest of the album is brilliant.

Nemesea - In Control (2007)
To me, this album is just as good as the follow up, The Quiet Resistance. It's more electronic, but still rocking, with great vocals by the beautiful Manda Ophuis and catchy melodies. I really like this band. They will surely be on my next top 50.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #224 on: September 08, 2012, 11:36:21 AM »
It's funny that you say criticism turned you off from DT initially because it was the same for me. I remember hearing some kids in High School saying something along the lines of "yeah DT is ok but their singer is awful!"  :facepalm: Thankfully my girlfriend's dad turned me onto them much later and I remember James' voice actually being one of the first things that stood out to me about DT. I know a lot of people don't care for his voice but personally, I love it. But anyway, great choice, I&W would definitely be in my top 5 as well. I also agree about Master of Puppets, there are some weak songs on there like Damage INC and The Thing That Should Not Be (in my opinion), but overall it's a classic... just not quite I&W status  :biggrin:

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Zook’s Top 50 Albums Thread! v. WHO DOES NUMBER 2 WORK FOR?!
« Reply #225 on: September 08, 2012, 11:44:49 AM »
For Me it would be, Battery and Damage Inc. TTTSNB used to be my least favorite, but I actually quite like it now.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: September 08, 2012, 11:48:33 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #227 on: September 08, 2012, 11:49:38 AM »
Words :heart

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #229 on: September 08, 2012, 01:13:14 PM »
No arguments there.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #230 on: September 08, 2012, 01:14:36 PM »
And  :heart

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #232 on: September 08, 2012, 02:39:06 PM »
 :tup

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #234 on: September 08, 2012, 05:44:06 PM »
 :heart :tup
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #235 on: September 08, 2012, 07:12:01 PM »
good pic.  Post ... tl:dr.  Might get to it another time.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #236 on: September 08, 2012, 07:21:51 PM »
I give some background on how I discovered DT, and then list examples of what I like in each song.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #237 on: September 15, 2012, 06:36:28 PM »
Here's a final look at the list before my #1 album is rev---HEY WHAT ARE YOU DOING DON'T SCROLL DOWN YET!

50.   Sarah McLachlan - Afterglow
49.   Green Carnation – Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness
48.   Def Leppard - Pyromania
47.   Linkin Park – Hybrid Theory
46.   3 Doors Down – The Better Life
45.   Alyson Avenue – Presence Of Mind
44.   Nightwish – Imaginaerum
43.   Judas Priest – Painkiller
42.   Stone Sour – Come What (Ever) May
41.   Blind Guardian – A Night At The Opera
40.   Evanescence – Evanescence
39.   Within Temptation – The Silent Force
38.   Missy Higgins– The Sound Of White
37.   Metallica - …And Justice For All
36.   Iron Maiden – The Number Of The Beast
35.   Pathosray – Pathosray
34.   Disturbed – The Sickness
33.   Suspyre – The Silvery Image
32.   Megadeth – Countdown To Extinction
31.   Iron Maiden – Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
30.   Star One – Space Metal
29.   Blind Guardian – Nightfall In Middle-Earth
28.   The Offspring – Ixnay On The Hombre
27.   Pyramaze – Immortal
26.   Circus Maximus – The 1st Chapter
25.   Iron Maiden – Somewhere In Time
24.   Into Eternity – The Scattering Of Ashes
23.   Within Temptation – The Unforgiving
22.   Symphony X – V: The New Mythology Suite
21.   Redemption – The Origins Of Ruin

20.   Iced Earth – Something Wicked This Way Comes
19.   Redemption – Snowfall On Judgment Day
18.   Dream Theater – Scenes From A Memory
17.   Redemption – This Mortal Coil
16.   Theocracy – Mirror Of Souls
15.   Circus Maximus – Nine
14.   Dream Theater – Awake
13.   Iced Earth – Burnt Offerings
12.   Kamelot – The Black Halo
11.   The Magnificent – The Magnificent
10.   Disturbed – Believe

9. Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
8. Metallica - Ride The Lighting
7.  Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
6. Symphony X - The Odyssey
5. Circus Maximus - Isolate
4. The Offspring - Ignition
3. Iced Earth - Night Of The Stormrider
2. Dream Theater - Images And Words

IMPATIENT MUCH?

...And coming in at #1 on the countdown:

1.   Tom Petty – Full Moon Fever (1989)

Ah yes, Tom Petty’s first solo album. It was released on April 24, 1989, just over a month before I would turn 4. Free Fallin’ was the first song I remember hearing as a child. That or Rocky Mountain Way… Everyone loved Free Fallin’. At least, everyone in my dad’s dorm. I would stand on my mom’s feet, and we would dance along to Full Moon Fever. It was the first musical thing I fell in love with. Full Moon Fever is my #1 album of all time based on sentimental and nostalgic memories, but also because the music contained within is bloody excellent. Catchy, melodic, rockin', this album has it all. Good ol' rock n' roll. The production is excellent too. Nice and clear. I will say that Side A is definitely better than the Side B, but side B is still great. Side A and Side B are actually pretty different though. While Side A is more rock and roll, Side B is more southern and folky. Because I grew up with this album, and it’s such a big part of my musical life, I get to contradict myself once again and say that there is actual one song on this album I’m not the fondest of. That song is Alright For Now, and while it isn’t horrible, it doesn’t do a whole lot for me either. It’s just a simple, very short ballad. I never really got into Tom Petty’s other work with The Heartbreakers other than the singles. I’ve had the famous Greatest Hits CD for many years, and just recently upgraded to The Anthology. I’ve listened to Damn The Torpedoes not too long ago, and it wasn’t bad, but some of the songs kinda stunk, so a compilation is all I really need, and there are a ton of great songs to listen to. Full Moon Fever is great from start to finish (as I said, Alright For Now brings the album down a micro smidge, but it’s 2 minutes) and doesn’t have anything skipworthy. Some of the songs are on the corny side like Yer So Bad, Apartment Song, and Zombie Zoo, but Tom Petty has always been a bit corny and never taking himself serious.

I bought Wildflowers when it came out in ’94, but Tom Petty kinda lost me with that one. It just wasn’t the same. Most of the songs were boring as all hell. Even the big hit, You Don’t Know How It Feels wasn’t very exciting. You Wreck Me is classic Petty though. I’d say my favorite song on Full Moon Fever is Runnin’ Down A Dream simply because it rocks. The main riff is classic, and the solo is epic, memorable, and just a great way to end the song. My brother and I were going to cover the song as KrotchRaut, and I actually have the drums finished. Hearing the original with double bass is both hilarious and awesome. Yeah, it would be in the same tempo. I wish I could say I’ve had the album since 1989, but I only just bought it in 2006 or 2007 and it was used and not in the best condition. Before that I had a copy my step dad made on cassette from his CD version. Not having a perfect copy haunted me for several years before I finally bought a new copy several months ago, and still haven’t opened it. Full Moon Fever means so much to me. It reminds me of simpler, carefree and happy time. Nowadays, I certainly enjoy other albums more, but this album is still a masterpiece, a truly great piece of musical history, Tom Petty’s crowning achievement, and has a very special place in my heart and will always be my #1 album. If you were ever thinking of getting in to Tom Petty, besides the greatest hits album, get Full Moon Fever. Or better yet, get The 2 disc Anthology, Full Moon Fever and the two hits from Wildflowers and you’ll have the ultimate Tom Petty Classic Rock experience!

Recommended tracks: Free Fallin’, I Won’t Back Down, Love Is A Long Road, A Face In The Crowd, Runnin’ Down A Dream, Feel A Whole Lot Better, Depending On You

Final Honorable Mentions:

Amanda Somerville - Windows (2009)
Another recent discovery, Windows, is a great mix of styles with beautiful vocals. Somerville is an amazing talent, and this album might be another addition to my Top 50 2.0.

Transatlantic - The Whirlwind (2009)
I've only listened to this a few times, but it's an excellent listen, and I wanted to give it a nod.

Mercenary - The Hours That Remain (2006)
Yet another recent discovery, this is some kick ass metal, with some extreme vocals that aren't cringeworthy. They do it right like Into Eternity. I've been really getting into this album, and it might show up on my next top 50. Time will tell.

And finally....

Amputated - Gargling With Infected Semen (2006)
I had to give this album a mention as it was the main inspiration for that successful failure, KrotchRaut. This album is fucking hilarious, but also fucking brutal. I made an edit where I cut out all the sound bites and had the songs seamlessly run together to make a 20 minute pornogrind/grindcore/whatever that one guy called it brutal piece simply titled, Amputated Epic. Props to whoever made Fresh Prince + Death Metal because that was brilliant, and really, that started it all.

So that's it. My Top 50. Is it perfect? No. I was actually changing it up during the course of this thread, and I still think some albums should be swapped, but there's always next time. I've never done this before. I don't really rank things, and these write ups were a bitch, but thank you to everyone who followed, and I hope you enjoyed the list. I think next time I'm going to do it differently and rank them without the nostalgia factor, except for my #1 of course, which will never change.

Thanks again, and sorry it took 2 months to finish.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: Zook’s Top 50 Albums Thread! v. AND THE WEINER IS...
« Reply #238 on: September 15, 2012, 11:31:57 PM »

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #239 on: September 16, 2012, 01:51:55 AM »
Wow. I didn't expect that at all, I don't even know the album. That said, I might have to check it out.

Also: that Amputated album has a fucking amazing title. :lol

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #240 on: September 17, 2012, 12:01:30 AM »
Wow. I didn't expect that at all, I don't even know the album. That said, I might have to check it out.

You definitely should if you're a fan of any of these: Rock and roll, roots rock, heartland rock, southern rock, blues rock, psychedelic rock, country

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #241 on: October 11, 2012, 06:48:04 PM »
So...... No one likes Full Moon Fever huh?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #242 on: October 11, 2012, 06:53:59 PM »
Apparently not.  Doubt the younglings around here know it very well (if at all), and I don't recall how many of us fogey's followed your list.  Being a fogey - and in high school when this was released - many songs got WAAAAAYYYYY over-played on the radio.  They were ok, but never did float my boat that much.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #243 on: October 11, 2012, 06:57:09 PM »
Well, fine then. I'll just take my list and leave.

Actually, instead of waiting 3 years to do another list, I'm just going to post an updated top 50 some time soon.

Full Moon Fever > You

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: October 11, 2012, 07:15:37 PM »
That was an awesome fucking list. I loved the Circus Maximus & Blind Guardian love, as well as Night of the Stormrider being so high

THIS IS THE PATH THAT I CHOOOOOOOOSSEEEEEEEE