Author Topic: Privacy and anonymity  (Read 19443 times)

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Privacy and anonymity
« Reply #245 on: May 01, 2018, 11:53:22 AM »
As long as we're on about people voluntarily forking over evidence for their entire gene pool, let's consider fingerprints, as well. A UK company has patented a process that will perform a drug test on a fingerprint in 30 seconds. I already know how The Court will come down on it, but at a philosophical level do we have a right to privacy to the oil we leave behind when handling a cup at Burger King? The immediate practical upshot of this is that when Johnny takes your driver's license back to his car he can immediately learn if you've used drugs in the last 60 days. Say hello to probable cause.

I think one of the questions we should be considering at this point is if we actually want crime-solving to become so efficient that it's essentially automated. Nobody wants some scumbag rapist to go free, but how much are we willing to give up to insure that doesn't happen? Especially when you consider the trend towards finding profit in the criminal justice system.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Harmony

Re: Privacy and anonymity
« Reply #246 on: May 20, 2018, 12:22:32 PM »
Another previously unsolved crime now solved with the use of a genealogy web site.  I'm glad the rapist/killer was finally caught.  I wonder how his parents feel about knowing that their voluntary submission of their own DNA led to the capture of their son.  Maybe they are glad, I don't know.

I'm happy the family of the victims have some peace of mind now.

I think the gene genie is out of the bottle.  These stories are going to quickly become commonplace. 

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/suspect-arrested-in-1987-deaths-of-young-couple-from-bc/