Author Topic: 2012-08-19/20 - Luna Park - Buenos Aires, ARG (being filmed for DVD)  (Read 127377 times)

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
Re: 2012-08-19/20 - Luna Park - Buenos Aires, ARG (being filmed for DVD)
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2012, 11:15:35 AM »
MM, JR, and JP will all get solo spots. MM confirmed this on one of his facebook posts.
Sweet, more "wankery"-accusations from the uninitiated :rollin
Its more in the vein of MM's drum solo and then the JR/JP solo spots they have been doing over the past few tours. Nothing new and certainly nothing wankery-comparable.  :lol

EDIT: DarkLOL beat me to it. I should have read the rest of the replies first!
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2012, 11:58:52 AM »
I hope the solo spots are on the bonus features, not the main thing.
Anyone else here cares about the DVD having subtitles, multiangle bonuses and a variety of audio options? I'm kinda of a music DVD geek and I'm very big on production values and such. Best DT release in that regard was Budokhan IMO.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2012, 12:47:11 PM »
Anyone else here cares about the DVD having subtitles, multiangle bonuses and a variety of audio options? I'm kinda of a music DVD geek and I'm very big on production values and such. Best DT release in that regard was Budokhan IMO.
It's never going to happen without MP, but whenever a new DVD comes out I still hope for an audio commentary like in 5 Years / Live in Tokyo / WDADRU (was it on Budokan too?)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2012, 12:58:16 PM »
What amused me about the 5 years / LiT commentary is the fact that the videos were shot a long time ago so there was a huge load of laughing about their clothes and youthful behavior and stuff like that :D Also, since the JLB link was posted, this thread is now about estrogen.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2012, 01:07:22 PM »
No TCOT isn't good... but I really really hope for return of The Great Debate at least... it isn't on any DVD yet (no I don't count performance from Score bonus tracks because it isn't as good as it could be at all). After all they stopped playing it only because they wanted to play both Outcry and Breaking All Illusions every night and now with two nights for DVD there's some possiblity they will bring it back.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2012, 01:13:41 PM »
It's never going to happen without MP, but whenever a new DVD comes out I still hope for an audio commentary like in 5 Years / Live in Tokyo / WDADRU (was it on Budokan too?)

I disagree, I think JP is gonna take great interest in the production of this DVD and we'll get a lot of cool stuff, equal if not better than Budokhan and LSFNY.
To answer your question there was no commentary on Budokhan. I wasn't thinking of a commentary on this new DVD and frankly wouldn't care if it didn't have one as long as they have a cool documentary detailing the Dramatic Tour life and times  :lol I wanna hear about the cubes, how the idea came up and how it developed.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 01:45:26 PM by Progmetty »
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online nikatapi

« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2012, 01:30:06 PM »
No TCOT isn't good... but I really really hope for return of The Great Debate at least... it isn't on any DVD yet (no I don't count performance from Score bonus tracks because it isn't as good as it could be at all). After all they stopped playing it only because they wanted to play both Outcry and Breaking All Illusions every night and now with two nights for DVD there's some possiblity they will bring it back.

I would really like that, watching this song live was a great experience and i think Mangini does a great job playing this tune, but unfortunately it seems a little unlikely, i think JP said that this song didn't have much appeal to the fans.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2012, 03:04:30 PM »
I think its a bit irresponsible to say its 'never' going to happen without MP. We've never had a DVD released before without MP, so anything is possible.

Also, a bonus documentary about ADTOE or maybe the new lineup on tour would be sweet. Jordan could have easily put something like that together.

Offline DTFan0789

« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2012, 05:10:10 PM »
Van Halen is the worst offender when it comes to editing. Their live DVD featured wardrobe changes shot to shot

That's the exact DVD that I was referencing actually, Van Halen's "Live: Right Here, Right Now". One second Eddie Van Halen has a yellow shirt on, two seconds later he's wearing a purple shirt. It's extremely distracting, and I would hate to see DT go that route.

What would REALLY be awesome is if we got 2 completely different set lists for both nights, thus resulting in a 4-hour DVD/Blu-ray.  :metal
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2012, 07:27:08 PM »
What would REALLY be awesome is if we got 2 completely different set lists for both nights, thus resulting in a 4-hour DVD/Blu-ray.  :metal
That's the best cause scenario for the DVD, for sure.

Worst case is we get 2-3 songs switched between both nights.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2012, 01:22:34 AM »
I think its a bit irresponsible to say its 'never' going to happen without MP. We've never had a DVD released before without MP, so anything is possible.

Also, a bonus documentary about ADTOE or maybe the new lineup on tour would be sweet. Jordan could have easily put something like that together.
I assumed that simply because, in these audio commentaries, it was usually a DVD produced by Portnoy (2 out of 3), he was usually the guy to bring up interesting trivia points with JP and JLB coming in from time to time etc.

In many other cases, I happily claim that anything is possible because we're not entirely sure what the other members want to do. In this case, with audio commentaries, it just seems to me like something that only MP would care about. He just seems like the kind of guy who would happily sit down, watch a video and talk about it forever.
I don't know, it's just a hunch.

Also, I'm talking about audio commentaries only. Not any other sort of bonus material.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2012, 01:30:46 PM »
Must've missed something......when was it confirmed that TCOT isn't gonna be on the dvd?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2012, 01:35:24 PM »
Must've missed something......when was it confirmed that TCOT isn't gonna be on the dvd?

JP during one of the latest meet'n'greet or aftershows (I don't remember which of the two, probably the latter). The song is too long   :sadpanda:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2012, 02:06:52 PM »

JP during one of the latest meet'n'greet or aftershows (I don't remember which of the two, probably the latter). The song is too long   :sadpanda:

That sucks!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2012, 11:04:05 PM »

Actually the first confirmation was when JP told me after the LA show at the beginning of July. Regarding TGD, I think you can pretty much write that one off as well, as when I talked with JP back in December about why they dropped that track, his response was that it is a great album track but wasn't getting much of a response from the audience. So I can't imagine them resurrecting it for these shows. That said, I did encourage JP to seriously consider releasing one of the shows from the summer European leg as an official bootleg, as it has TCoT, TGD and some of the other songs I doubt will be featured at the shows in Argentina - hopefully it will happen.

As for what DT will do with these 2 shows (release them completely, create a 2 set "show" from them, mix the songs together to create an extra long show), I haven't the foggiest idea. But I wouldn't completely write off the idea of them releasing both shows in their entirety. I do think it's possible, especially if most of the set is different from night to night.

While the precident the band has set is only to swap out a maximum of 4 or 5 songs between shows, my gut feeling is that we'll see more songs switched out between the 2 nights, and that they will be hybrids of the setlists we've been seeing since the first American leg of the tour. Below is my initial guess at what they might do. Again, the sets may vary more than what they end up doing (likely so), but I would expect the majority of the older songs listed below to be played one of the two nights.

show #1
1. Bridges in the Sky
2. These Walls
3. The Dark Eternal Night
4. This is the Life
5. The Root of All Evil
6. drum solo
7. A Fortune in Lies
8. Outcry
9. piano solo
10. Wait for Sleep
11. Far From Heaven
12. On the Backs of Angels
13. Caught in a Web
14. Through My Words
15. Fatal Tragedy
16. Breaking All Illusions
~~~encore~~~
17. Pull Me Under

show #2
1. Bridges in the Sky
2. 6:00
3. Build Me Up, Break Me Down
4. Surrounded
5. Endless Sacrifice
6. Lost Not Forgotten
7. Ytse Jam
8. The Silent Man
9. Beneath the Surface
10. On the Backs of Angels
11. War Inside My Head
12. The Test That Stumped Them All
13. guitar solo (w/ keyboard accompaniment)
14. The Spirit Carries On
15. Breaking All Illusions
~~~encore~~~
16. Metropolis part I
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2012, 08:27:42 AM »
Regarding TGD, I think you can pretty much write that one off as well, as when I talked with JP back in December about why they dropped that track, his response was that it is a great album track but wasn't getting much of a response from the audience.

Yeah, I've heard him say that before as well.  Honestly, I think he is mistaken and is misreading the audience on that one.  He said the same thing about Scarred in the past as well.  But both of those are tracks where I think an audience just wants to watch and take them in, and they have grooves that are hard to "rock out" to from an audience perspective.  I think he's mistaking that for audience apathy, but it's not. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DT2003

« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2012, 09:22:04 AM »
Regarding TGD, I think you can pretty much write that one off as well, as when I talked with JP back in December about why they dropped that track, his response was that it is a great album track but wasn't getting much of a response from the audience.

Yeah, I've heard him say that before as well.  Honestly, I think he is mistaken and is misreading the audience on that one.  He said the same thing about Scarred in the past as well.  But both of those are tracks where I think an audience just wants to watch and take them in, and they have grooves that are hard to "rock out" to from an audience perspective.  I think he's mistaking that for audience apathy, but it's not.

Wow that's sad to hear that.  IMO TGP comes off GREAT in a live setting.  Put it this way, when I saw them at their show at BB Kings prior to the release of that album, that song was the highlight of my night and I had never heard it before.  Normally if I'm hearing something live that I have never heard before, I'm bored but that song grabbed me and there were several parts that stuck in my mind.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2012, 10:01:43 AM »

Wow that's sad to hear that.  IMO TGP comes off GREAT in a live setting.  Put it this way, when I saw them at their show at BB Kings prior to the release of that album, that song was the highlight of my night and I had never heard it before.  Normally if I'm hearing something live that I have never heard before, I'm bored but that song grabbed me and there were several parts that stuck in my mind.

Bosk and I are referring to TGD, not TGP:P ;)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2012, 10:04:57 AM »
:lol  I had the right song; that was just a typo.  Yes, I am talking about The Great Debate.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DT2003

« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2012, 10:50:39 AM »

Bosk and I are referring to TGD, not TGP:P ;)

Oops.   :eek
For what it's worth, I think TGD comes across great live too.

Offline N4Player

« Reply #90 on: August 11, 2012, 06:43:17 AM »
Add another whine for the lack of TCOT. Really sucks that they are leaving that gem out. Mangini already knows it and I hope the band changes their mind about it. BC&SL needs to be represented. Just have to wait and see what they play. Looking forward to it nonetheless.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2012, 09:12:08 AM »
Add another whine for the lack of TCOT. Really sucks that they are leaving that gem out. Mangini already knows it and I hope the band changes their mind about it. BC&SL needs to be represented. Just have to wait and see what they play. Looking forward to it nonetheless.

I still disagree with this.  Why does it need to be represented?  I would rather they play what they are excited about playing rather than go through the motions playing a song just because they need to fill up a spot with a BC&SL song.  They will likely pull songs from that out on future tours, so even if doesn't get represented this time around, it probably will eventually.

Offline DTFan0789

« Reply #92 on: August 11, 2012, 12:00:53 PM »
I would just like for them to at some point release a pro-shot video of TCOT.
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2012, 12:19:47 PM »
I think everyone clamoring for The Count of Tuscany needs to remember that the song is still only three years old.

We didn't get Learning to Live on an official band live DVD until it was eight years old.

We didn't get all of Metropolis on an official band live DVD until it was 12 years old.

We didn't get Lines in the Sand on an official band live DVD until it was 10 years old.

We didn't get Trial of Tears on an official band live DVD until it was seven years old.

We still haven't gotten The Glass Prison on an official band live DVD.

In other words: patience, people.  Patience. :biggrin:

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #94 on: August 11, 2012, 12:28:37 PM »
Add another whine for the lack of TCOT.

You mean add another wine  :biggrin:

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2012, 01:02:37 PM »
I think everyone clamoring for The Count of Tuscany needs to remember that the song is still only three years old.

We didn't get Learning to Live on an official band live DVD until it was eight years old.

We didn't get all of Metropolis on an official band live DVD until it was 12 years old.

We didn't get Lines in the Sand on an official band live DVD until it was 10 years old.

We didn't get Trial of Tears on an official band live DVD until it was seven years old.

We still haven't gotten The Ones Who Help To Set the Sun or Status Seeker on an official DVD, which are both excellent songs, and those are 23 years old. I can wait for another DVD for TCOT. And hey, we're likely to get a YJR release of it.

Offline The Clairvoyant

« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2012, 02:16:23 PM »

Totally agree !!!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #97 on: August 12, 2012, 02:32:22 AM »
Man, great points, Kev.  :tup

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #98 on: August 12, 2012, 03:18:57 AM »

However, Learning to Live was the minority of its original album. As far as I see it, people simply want some representation of Black Clouds, and TCOT is the ideal song for that, because putting aside the fact that it's a fantastic song instrumentally, it's also the most fitting - there's nothing in this song that they can't play or sing without MP like the first track, it's not too personal for MP like the 4th and 5th tracks, and it wasn't represented in Summer Sonic like the 2nd and 3rd tracks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2012, 10:43:22 AM »
I get that, but the band obviously likes the looks of the set lists they have been doing this year, and including The Count of Tuscany would mean taking out 2-3 songs.  Granted, with two nights, it would be easy to say, "Well, they can play The Count one night and those other 2-3 songs the other night," but again, if the band isn't keen on playing it, do you really want to see a performance of it where the band is going through the motions?  A comparison I would make would be The Ministry of Lost Souls on Chaos in Motion. I am not sure who looks more bored out of their minds during that song: the band or the crowd.  And playing a nearly 20-minute song like The Count that probably isn't a live favorite could be a total killjoy in an otherwise high energy concert.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2012, 03:02:23 PM »
Besides that, we'll likely get Count on a Ytsejam release of a European summer 2011 show. That would be fine with me. Count, Learning To Live, Fatal Tragedy.. :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DTFan0789

« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2012, 10:12:28 PM »
Besides that, we'll likely get Count on a Ytsejam release of a European summer 2011 show. That would be fine with me. Count, Learning To Live, Fatal Tragedy.. :metal

From your mouth to God's ears! The 2011 High Voltage show from London would be an AMAZING Ytse Jam release.

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »
I just got my new smartphone  :D. This means I'll be updating live from the concert.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2012, 10:17:53 AM »
I just got my new smartphone  :D. This means I'll be updating live from the concert.
:rollin

From your mouth to God's ears! The 2011 High Voltage show from London would be an AMAZING Ytse Jam release.

Yeah, we need an Ytsejam release like that!
Also, I'm hoping they swap out more than 4-5 songs between the shows.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2012, 02:43:30 PM »
*calculates time zones to join the liveblog*

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise