Author Topic: 2012-08-19/20 - Luna Park - Buenos Aires, ARG (being filmed for DVD)  (Read 128035 times)

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
Re: 2012-08-19/20 - Luna Park - Buenos Aires, ARG (being filmed for DVD)
« Reply #350 on: August 19, 2012, 10:04:44 PM »
This just in: James LaBrie/John Myung solos tomorrow night. Haven't heard much yet, aside from the word "scat" being thrown around.
:rollin

I can just imagine it, James doing something to the effect of Clark Terry's "Mumbles"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJuFDvH8wGs
Imagine DT playing this song  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Also, Rena's watching us. WHY DIDN'T JOHN SAY ANYTHING ABOUT DT'S GIG IN BOGOTA HE DIDN'T LIKE US RIGHT NEVER ENOUGH

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #351 on: August 19, 2012, 10:07:18 PM »
That's a great surprise, as TSM and WFS would sound great with a quartet. The same with BTS and FFH,, also gives people a reason to get the DVD.

Adami, i'm sure night 2 will have a better surprise.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #352 on: August 19, 2012, 10:08:20 PM »
And apparently we will be blown away by the extras and such. So naturally, I am excited.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #353 on: August 19, 2012, 10:08:35 PM »
Oh I'm very much looking forward to hearing The Silent Man with strings......if for no other reason than I've never heard a version of it with strings. As opposed to playing a song like TALW which had strings to begin with.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #354 on: August 19, 2012, 10:11:48 PM »
Wait, are we for sure getting strings?
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #355 on: August 19, 2012, 10:12:04 PM »
Oh I'm very much looking forward to hearing The Silent Man with strings......if for no other reason than I've never heard a version of it with strings. As opposed to playing a song like TALW which had strings to begin with.

I think that bridge section is going to sound great with a quartet, since the original has those nice string lines there. I think that will work nicely. WFS should be interesting too. Both are very simple arrangements where an orchestra can supplement them without sounding busy.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Adami

« Reply #356 on: August 19, 2012, 10:13:46 PM »
I can't wait till the DVD comes out and Snake Eyes starts a thread about how James was a microtone flat on Beneath the Surface final chorus.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: August 19, 2012, 10:18:36 PM »

Unless they edit them out yes, we are
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #358 on: August 19, 2012, 10:19:17 PM »

Now that would be hilarious.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #359 on: August 19, 2012, 10:20:07 PM »
Where did I miss the strings announcement?
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #360 on: August 19, 2012, 10:22:04 PM »

Now that would be hilarious.

Seconded. First I would laugh, then I would weep.

Edit: Kinda like Lil' Wayne playing guitar, but not being audible in the mix.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #361 on: August 19, 2012, 11:05:22 PM »
After reading all this, I'm kind of disappointed in the surprises so far. The string quartet has kind of already been done with Orchestra on Score and the set is essentially the same thing they have been playing. I see no real surprises after show #1, imho.

I agree with Adami that I hope they play it less safe tomorrow. Let's see 'To Live Forever' and maybe 'Another Day' and hopefully they bust out a few songs that have NOT been played so far on the tour (or maybe a few that were played on the first few legs).

It seems like their 'extremely long' soundcheck (according to Mangini's FB) would be such a waste if they didn't do something crazy tomorrow (or at least different from the norm that has been the past year or so).

So far, I'm kind of disappointed. Here's to hoping night #2 can bring some crazy surprises.  :metal
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline DTFan0789

« Reply #362 on: August 19, 2012, 11:09:00 PM »
People, Dream Theater is filming two nights at a 14,000 seat stadium in Buenos Aires for an upcoming DVD/Blu-ray release. Be happy, life is good. :)
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: August 19, 2012, 11:12:01 PM »
This just in: James LaBrie/John Myung solos tomorrow night. Haven't heard much yet, aside from the word "scat" being thrown around.
:rollin

I can just imagine it, James doing something to the effect of Clark Terry's "Mumbles"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJuFDvH8wGs
Imagine DT playing this song  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Also, Rena's watching us. WHY DIDN'T JOHN SAY ANYTHING ABOUT DT'S GIG IN BOGOTA HE DIDN'T LIKE US RIGHT NEVER ENOUGH

We're finally gonna get that version of "Learning to Live" we've all been waiting for:

Ohooowoooaaahohhhhh....

ohoooowooooaahhH....

ohooowooaahaAAAAAA IBBLE DIBBLE DADADADOO LIBITTIY DEE DO DEE WHAAAAAAALE lee lee lu

EDIT: But seriously, I'd be cool for Nekov, if he's awake, to post a little blurb about the show. How was it? Any mishaps? How was James sounding? What was the crowd like? Etc.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 11:19:30 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #364 on: August 19, 2012, 11:39:32 PM »
There's got to be a (second recorded show) morning afterrrrr

Moreover: is there any JLB speech?

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #365 on: August 19, 2012, 11:57:23 PM »
Decent setlist, although I wonder if every song will be included on the DVD after they edit both nights? Having WIMH/TTTSTA on this DVD seems a little odd considering they had the same combo on Budokan, and they had the full SDOIT with orchestra on the last full concert DVD. And TSCO? Enough said there.
In the live performances of OTBOA from this year they go straight into War/Test so they'll definitely be on the DVD unless they play OTBOA on its own the upcoming night. I agree that it'd be nice if they replaced War/Test and Spirit with something else today for the DVD but we'll see...

I kind of predicted the setlist last night wouldn't include any surprise songs but I bet/hope they'll add some especially special tune(s) there today. Well, it'll be interesting to hear TSM and BTS with strings and that's already something!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: August 20, 2012, 12:10:23 AM »
Decent setlist, although I wonder if every song will be included on the DVD after they edit both nights? Having WIMH/TTTSTA on this DVD seems a little odd considering they had the same combo on Budokan, and they had the full SDOIT with orchestra on the last full concert DVD. And TSCO? Enough said there.
In the live performances of OTBOA from this year they go straight into War/Test so they'll definitely be on the DVD unless they play OTBOA on its own the upcoming night. I agree that it'd be nice if they replaced War/Test and Spirit with something else today for the DVD but we'll see...

Thanks for the info. I didn't know they ran them into each other. I guess after tomorrow a lot will become clearer.

Offline Adami

« Reply #367 on: August 20, 2012, 12:14:02 AM »
I haven't seen any vids for TTTSTA, but who is doing the falsetto vocals? Is it backing tracks or is someone else doing it? Or are they just not playing them?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: August 20, 2012, 12:18:17 AM »
I haven't seen any vids for TTTSTA, but who is doing the falsetto vocals? Is it backing tracks or is someone else doing it? Or are they just not playing them?

I just checked out a bootleg (from another show, not this one specifically), and they're using a backing tape of MP's vocals. JP isn't near the mic, so there's no mistaking it.

Offline Adami

« Reply #369 on: August 20, 2012, 12:19:51 AM »

I just checked out a bootleg (from another show, not this one specifically), and they're using a backing tape of MP's vocals. JP isn't near the mic, so there's no mistaking it.

Fascinating.

If they're using MP backing tracks, and also using at least one song with his lyrics......do they have to go into legal stuff about how much to pay him for his contribution to the DVD? What if he decides to be a dick (not that he will) and demand that DT not release anything features a contribution of his?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: August 20, 2012, 12:20:01 AM »
Checking in from my iPad since I won't be home til tomorrow night to see if Nekov had a kick ass time it looks like indeed he has! I can't read through the thread cause I'm dead tired so I just skimmed nekov's posts and I am so glad they kept the set list and hoping tomorrow would bring the other set list, to me this is about bringing as much of this tour that we experienced and enjoyed so much to a release we can own and relive over and over, it's about documenting this outstanding ADToE era IMO. So surprises and unexpected changes in the set list are not something I'd like to see for this particular occasion.
Man I really don't like typing on the iPad.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #371 on: August 20, 2012, 01:27:03 AM »
I mostly agree with Adami, they said that there would be a lot of surprises/crazy stuff and this setlists with the only different thing being the string quartets isn't really living up to my expectations, so I hope they will do something more surprising the 2nd show. At the same time, I have to say I was expecting the first night to have more of a standard setlist than the second one. Just hoping for Learning to Live  :metal

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #372 on: August 20, 2012, 01:30:47 AM »
This was a bit anticlimactic but also expected. I'm happy with this setlist, more or less; it's all good songs, even if there are repetitions, because, you know, we're not the only ones who are going to buy this DVD.

If you're going to think of the casual fans, it's better to have actual songs from IAW and WDADU than To Live Forever/Don't Look Past Me; it's better to have two shorter, rockier tracks from Awake than one Scarred or even SDV, as treasured as they are in this fanbase (and not treasured by all, at all!); it's understandable that they're including TSCO in it, since that's becoming one of their "signatures"; it's not good, but it's also understandable that they decided to include the only fast-paced minutes of SDOIT outside of those 13 in TGP. And also, this is the concert that everyone's been seeing, more or less, this tour; and for us who haven't seen it, this should slightly make it up for it.

In short, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the rarities to YJR from now on, though I'm still hoping there would be a surprise or two tonight.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 01:40:13 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: August 20, 2012, 01:32:14 AM »

Fascinating.

If they're using MP backing tracks, and also using at least one song with his lyrics......do they have to go into legal stuff about how much to pay him for his contribution to the DVD? What if he decides to be a dick (not that he will) and demand that DT not release anything features a contribution of his?

Maybe they'll cut out MP's backing track, and let the crazy Argentineans handle it on the DVD.

But, upon further listen, I don't think it's MP's voice on the backing track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIs9ckfWw1Y

Does that sound like Mike? Not really, I don't think. It sounds like John, actually. He's just not bothering to pretend to be singing it for real.  :lol

Offline Spacebar.

• Yarr...
« Reply #374 on: August 20, 2012, 01:34:07 AM »
People, Dream Theater is filming two nights at a 14,000 seat stadium in Buenos Aires for an upcoming DVD/Blu-ray release. Be happy, life is good. :)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: August 20, 2012, 01:39:56 AM »
But, upon further listen, I don't think it's MP's voice on the backing track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIs9ckfWw1Y

Does that sound like Mike? Not really, I don't think. It sounds like John, actually. He's just not bothering to pretend to be singing it for real.  :lol

I actually can't really tell from bootleg quality, and I'm not that familiar with what JP's falsetto would sound like. But it would seem pretty silly to me to get JP to sing a vocal to trigger instead of actually singing it live. While it's not what I'd call an easy guitar part, I don't see why he couldn't play the guitar part and sing it too. Even if it's not perfect, that's what a live show is supposed to be.

Offline Adami

« Reply #376 on: August 20, 2012, 01:43:19 AM »

Actually it might even be JLB on backing tracks for the falsetto part.

And good god, did JLB just leave before one of the chorus's and skip it?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #377 on: August 20, 2012, 01:45:53 AM »
Pretty awesome they got strings on the stage for the acoustic interlude, i'm sure we'll get more surprises on the second night, and don't forget the potential for extra material on the dvd, like backstage documentary etc.

I'm very excited just for the ADTOE songs and it's amazing that we are getting all the album in a live version, i think this happened only with the Live Scenes album?

Just hoping they get a good sound and mixing, i want to hear MM's drums loud and clear, CiM was quite low quality both picture and sound wise.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #378 on: August 20, 2012, 01:47:04 AM »

It was the first show the song was being played. Maybe he just plainly forgot the part.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: August 20, 2012, 01:47:34 AM »

I was talking about the vocals in "War Inside My Head". Didn't sound like Mike.

And yeah, according to the uploader, JLB came out afterwards and apologized. He was choking. You can hear it in the prechorus actually.

Offline Adami

« Reply #380 on: August 20, 2012, 01:48:40 AM »
Oh it's cool. I don't mind weird goofy stuff like that.

And on War Inside My Head.........I dunno that actually seemed like JP. And I wouldn't be surprised if he were singing them live.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #381 on: August 20, 2012, 01:50:02 AM »

Yeah he did, but it's actually in the comments. "Labrie was actually choking to his own spit. After he came back he apologized for not finishing the song"

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #382 on: August 20, 2012, 02:22:23 AM »
I expected nothing more for last night. Usually it's the second night to be stuffed with surprises and oddballs. Clearly the string quartet cannot be accounted for the whole lot of "stellar surprises" that has been promised.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: August 20, 2012, 02:24:54 AM »
Nice touch though, with the string section.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #384 on: August 20, 2012, 02:26:54 AM »
I think it would be really cool if TROAE was the encore for tomorrow, and they can use the ending they made for the 2012 European leg. It would be like closing the show with Octavarium since it is after all, a reprise of the main theme, and is really grandoise.