Poll

In a 1 to 10 scale, how would you rate the ADTOE tour?

0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
1 (1.7%)
2 (3.4%)
0 (0%)
1 (1.7%)
18 (31%)
26 (44.8%)
10 (17.2%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Rate the 2011/2012 Tour Cycle  (Read 11386 times)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Re: Rate the 2011/2012 Tour Cycle
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2013, 03:33:02 PM »
I gave 7.

-1 because the lack of rotation.
-1 because needless JR's long solos with his toys.
-1 because they didn't come to Turkey this year.

The only two solos of JR were the one before Surrounded (just piano) and the one at the end of TDEN (not longer than in the studio, and significantly better). None was unnecessary for me.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2013, 03:59:17 PM »
I think we knew that when MP left, there would be the possibility of a sterile (same) setlist. And it could potentially be a problem if you attended multiple shows, or collected bootlegs. And trust me, I certainly understand that.

But as a fan that only sees DT when they come to Boston, at the end of the day, I don't give a shit what they played in Philly or New York. In fact, we've been pretty lucky as far as past setlists go in Boston, because even when MP was putting the setlists together, all setlists were NOT created equal. I would be bummed if another city got a song I really liked but it was omitted from my set. Still the rotating setlists were certainly a romantic feature of following DT.

Admittedly, I missed two of the best tours ('02 & '04), '04, arguably being the band's live peak, with a Zepplinesque qaulity about the shows. But other than that, I've been seeing DT since '92 and this tour was as strong performance wise, as well as audience engaging as I've ever seen.

I sat in the front row dead center for the BC&SL show in Boston and I don't think JP smiled once..ONCE! I sat and saw the show before Score was recorded and the band couldn't have looked less interested in playing the show, especially the onstage bickering between MP and JLB during the first set.
Ironically, the most happy the MP era lineup seemed was the Worcester show on the summer of 2010. Shit, even JM was visibly into it, of course they were feeding off a MONSTER of a crowd!

Still, the two stops in Boston one the ADTOE tour featured competely different setlists save for BITS, OTBOA, and BAI.
And think of the songs that made the "master" setlist for the entire cycle.
I didn't expect TDEN. I didn't expect 6:00. I didn't expect TROAE. TCOT??
Busting out things like These Walls (which I did expect) and Ytsejam to follow the drum solo..brilliant.

I still think the band could some day miss the sponteniety of MP's performances, but I think that's still a ways away. The band just seems in a good place now.

I am actully expecting an incredible album and tour in 13-'14. Better than '04? I consider DT's '04 tour to be one of the best by ANY band. DT, as they were with MP, were never going to replicate that anyway. That's just my opinion.

But anyway, sorry for the rambling. As I stated earlier in the thread:
The show I saw in Boston on 7/16/12 might have been the best performance that I have ever seen from the band.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2013, 04:14:08 PM »
It wasn't rambling, it was a very nice read :)

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2013, 04:16:26 PM »
These are holy words Tim, holy words. I agree on every single point you made. And the girl up there above me, I have turned her on the amazing bootleg you just quoted as the best performance. Indeed it is, one of the best of this tour and by far the best to be recorded.
- Marco

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2013, 04:23:08 PM »
Thanks. I would also add that Dream Theater is my favorite band because of a lot of the things MP brought to the table: rotating setlists, fan club gifts, covers.. just tons of extras. But my number one reason was actually watching Mike Portnoy perform. So I knew I was going to miss him and what he did.

Some things worked (Surrounded '07) and some didn't (Solitary Shell '09), but I'll say this. That bit that JP and JR did before TSCO on this last leg kicks all of their asses! So perhaps that "spirit" IS safe within the band.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2013, 04:27:06 PM »
Thanks. I would also add that Dream Theater is my favorite band because of a lot of the things MP brought to the table: rotating setlists, fan club gifts, covers.. just tons of extras. But my number one reason was actually watching Mike Portnoy perform. So I knew I was going to miss him and what he did.

Some things worked (Surrounded '07) and some didn't (Solitary Shell '09), but I'll say this. That bit that JP and JR did before TSCO on this last leg kicks all of their asses! So perhaps that "spirit" IS safe within the band.

It surely is! The spirit of the band resides in whoever will play for it, for the dream.  :tup

And also, you must be the first to think the same way I do, concerning what's in the bold statement.
- Marco

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2013, 04:36:25 PM »
As far as Surrounded '07, I could definitely do without the Sugar Mice thing at the end. Really drags it out. But the intro is terrific, and the extended guitar/keyboard solo is incredible. Actually prefer it to the original.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2013, 04:39:50 PM »
I wouldn't go that far (Surrounded as it is and as it was played in the late 2012 tour - South America, and you will see why when the DVD comes out - is now a top 10 song), but the song definitely worked.  :)
- Marco

Offline krands85

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2013, 06:49:42 PM »
I sat and saw the show before Score was recorded and the band couldn't have looked less interested in playing the show, especially the onstage bickering between MP and JLB during the first set.
What was this about, do you know?
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2013, 10:03:43 PM »
The show I saw in Boston on 7/16/12 might have been the best performance that I have ever seen from the band.
Ironically, I would very likely say the same thing about the last Dallas show. However, since the question was about the tour, and not a specific show here or there, I have to look at it from a different perspective from you. Honestly, you probably have the better idea only seeing one show per tour, which is what my plan forward is. If I'd only seen one show, I'd probably rate it a 9.  But I didn't and based on all of them I stand behind my 4 for the tour.

It occurs to me that from the perspective of il Signore Wasteland, or the lovely lady from Serbia, I probably sound like a real ass. They get to see them infreqently, at best, and I'm bitching about making the mistake of seeing them 5 times on a tour. :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2013, 03:18:20 AM »
It occurs to me that from the perspective of il Signore Wasteland, or the lovely lady from Serbia, I probably sound like a real ass. They get to see them infreqently, at best, and I'm bitching about making the mistake of seeing them 5 times on a tour. :lol

You'd better drop the final "e", as Signore followed by the name means Lord instead of Mr.  :rollin

But nevermind about the rest, if I had the chance I would see them five times on a tour, maybe more! It's just that i live in a pretty isolated place, so I make do by listening tens of bootlegs per tour :D
- Marco

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2013, 05:32:15 AM »
Ironically, I would very likely say the same thing about the last Dallas show. However, since the question was about the tour, and not a specific show here or there, I have to look at it from a different perspective from you. Honestly, you probably have the better idea only seeing one show per tour, which is what my plan forward is. If I'd only seen one show, I'd probably rate it a 9.  But I didn't and based on all of them I stand behind my 4 for the tour.

Yeah Bart, I get that. But just the fact that you, who's seen DT countless times, rated the show a 9, Bob, who's been to an ungodly number of shows rated his a 10, and me, who's experience goes back to the Ritz, rated it an 11 goes to show that this band was successful in what they wanted to achieve: to put forth the best show they can every night!

MP had a great vision for his band. He created an almost Grateful Dead like experience for some of the fans. Unfortunately, like I said, that experience was going to be a casualty post MP.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2013, 05:44:09 AM »
It occurs to me that from the perspective of il Signore Wasteland, or the lovely lady from Serbia, I probably sound like a real ass. They get to see them infreqently never, at best, and I'm bitching about making the mistake of seeing them 5 times on a tour. :lol
Fixed it for me :D

To quote myself from a previous thread on a similar issue:

Not to take away from your ongoing argument, but all I see here is a bunch of people privileged enough to see DT multiple times in one tour for several tours in a row.

Don't want to be a gloom cookie for living in the middle of nowhere, nor say people should be happy with whatever they get, just making an observation that, while the OP thinks MP fanboys/"plebeians" are obviously biased, bringing this up for discussion on a forum where most people aren't your regular DT fans either, but something completely different, won't be fruitful.

However, I completely understand your argument and rating, and you don't sound like an ass at all. DT knows they have fans who adored the rotating setlists and they knew they'd be taking a risk when dropping them.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2013, 08:01:24 AM »
I sat and saw the show before Score was recorded and the band couldn't have looked less interested in playing the show, especially the onstage bickering between MP and JLB during the first set.
They were at the end of a massive leg, playing massive sets(almost as intense as ToT) IIRC that was the third night(originally planned to be 4) in a row and they were wiped. JP was getting sick, JLB was just dead. The next day they had rehearsal with the orchestra down in NYC. I had seen the previous 6 or 7 shows in preparation for RCMH. Just the travel was brutal, let alone those guys doing 3+ hour shows. I don't know how they pulled it off. In answer to the question, they were running on fumes at that point.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2013, 08:33:22 AM »

Yeah Bart, I get that. But just the fact that you, who's seen DT countless times, rated the show a 9, Bob, who's been to an ungodly number of shows rated his a 10, and me, who's experience goes back to the Ritz, rated it an 11 goes to show that this band was successful in what they wanted to achieve: to put forth the best show they can every night!
What it tells me is that they're capable of going out and really slaying, however, they've pigeonholed themselves into a situation where it takes extraordinary effort. By standardizing each show to the extent that they have, the only way for one show to really exceed another is by putting out 110%, which they're clearly not capable of doing each and every night. The result is that you get a lot of ordinary shows with the occasional monster thrown in. Great if you're in a city that gets the monster.  Not so much otherwise. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2013, 10:40:31 AM »
They were at the end of a massive leg, playing massive sets(almost as intense as ToT) IIRC that was the third night(originally planned to be 4) in a row and they were wiped. JP was getting sick, JLB was just dead. The next day they had rehearsal with the orchestra down in NYC. I had seen the previous 6 or 7 shows in preparation for RCMH. Just the travel was brutal, let alone those guys doing 3+ hour shows. I don't know how they pulled it off. In answer to the question, they were running on fumes at that point.

Yes Bob that was clear. I cannot tell you how bad James looked that night. He looked so sick and frail. My wife mentioned how unhealthy he looked.
Also MP was pissed off at something the entire first set. I know they were having sound issues and his microphone was not working properly. He was barking at Eric and James.

When they came out for the second set, things seemed much more settled down. It was the third straight night, and I had always worried that the show would be cancelled, especially after the Detroit cancellation.

But in the end, my respect for them went way up. They gutted out that performance, ESPECIALLY James.
When I listen back to that show, I can't believe how good he sounded.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2013, 10:46:37 AM »

Yes Bob that was clear. I cannot tell you how bad James looked that night. He looked so sick and frail. My wife mentioned how unhealthy he looked.
Also MP was pissed off at something the entire first set. I know they were having sound issues and his microphone was not working properly. He was barking at Eric and James.

When they came out for the second set, things seemed much more settled down. It was the third straight night, and I had always worried that the show would be cancelled, especially after the Detroit cancellation.

But in the end, my respect for them went way up. They gutted out that performance, ESPECIALLY James.
When I listen back to that show, I can't believe how good he sounded.
James does look sick-ish in the Score docu, his nose is all red, and JP looks like he's down with a cold on Score (I always thought that was the reason why he wasn't moving too much). All 'round, considering these stories... good job, Dream Theater.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2013, 10:53:16 AM »
I have the bootleg of Boston 06, and would have never guessed all those issues you are telling us now. It's very weird, James does even sound quite great on Take The Time or Learning To Live. It was also the show where they play-reharsed About To Crash, right? :)
- Marco

Offline Lark the Starless

• Engrish.
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2013, 11:57:29 PM »
Overall, I think 7 is more appropriate, although an 8 could have been suitable as well.

I saw them 4 times this tour and like someone mentioned, some of the shows were somewhat sterile.

The 1st show (the 2nd show of the ADTOE tour, in Los Angeles) was incredible. I give it a 9 mainly because of the newness of the tour and the anticipation of seeing DT for the 2nd time. The setlist was probably the best one, out of the 4 concerts I attended.

The 2nd show in Anaheim was like an 8 (some Shrek-like brute was in my way most of the time so that dampened the experience a bit). But I was 2nd row, standing, and seeing DT that close for the first time was spectacular. Possibly the 2nd best concert of the tour.

The 3rd show in Universal City was by far the weakest. I would give it a 6. I don't know if it was me or what but the band seemed kind of "off" that night. There was nothing particularly memorable in their performance but it wasn't a complete failure either. Somewhat of a sub-par show but it was great seeing them for a 4th time.

The 4th show at Anaheim the day after is probably tied for second place with the 2nd show. I'd give it an 8. Although it had the same setlist as the previous, I was front row, standing, and got to see the guys right in front of me. A somewhat predictable show but much more intense, probably because they were so damn close! I got to touch their glorious hands after the show  :lol

By far, the best opening act was the Crimson ProjeKCt, although Andy McKee (?) was cool. I didn't like Trivium but what can you do?  ;)

Hopefully for the next tour, it'll be "Evening With" shows with greater rotation in the setlists (which I doubt but one can hope).

Overall, the ADTOE tour was pretty solid and great.

Can't wait for the new album and a chance to see them again  :metal

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2013, 01:27:36 AM »
I remember seeing/reading somewhere that the guys WANT to bring back the "evening with" shows, which is totally fine with me as I've only ever seen them with opening bands.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2013, 12:14:05 PM »
-1 because needless JR's long solos with his toys.

I thought he gave those a rest on this tour. He had one solo spot and it was a piano solo, that was very nice.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2013, 03:41:44 PM »
Yes. Even though I wouldn't have minded an eigenharp or harpeji solo. (forgive the spelling mistakes I surely made)
- Marco

Offline jokenheart

« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2013, 08:47:44 PM »
I gave it a 10. I really love A Dramatic Turn of Events Tour Show!!! :heart