Author Topic: Man of Steel (Zack Snyder's Superman)  (Read 28026 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Man of Steel (Zack Snyder's Superman)
« Reply #140 on: June 16, 2013, 05:50:55 PM »
;D ;D Let's just all agree that Superman III & IV were terrible !

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #141 on: June 16, 2013, 05:53:39 PM »
;D ;D Let's just all agree that Superman III & IV were terrible !

I would bet 100% would agree with you. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #142 on: June 16, 2013, 06:06:32 PM »
Yup!   :lol :tup
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #143 on: June 16, 2013, 06:24:23 PM »
Well, if you believe that movies are meant to only inspire children, then I am thrilled that we have different opinions.  Good luck with that.
Do or do not; there is not try.
Trust your Force.  Strong!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #144 on: June 16, 2013, 06:26:03 PM »
I'll go out and buy a cape right away then.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #145 on: June 16, 2013, 06:44:21 PM »
Also, it fails because it never, IMO, inspires.  There was no sense of wonder.
For you, maybe. I was giddy like a child throughout the whole damn thing. Don't assume that because you weren't inspired, others won't be either.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: June 16, 2013, 06:47:40 PM »
It's funny how that happens. I was absolutely hooked on Star Trek ( 2009 ) from the first moment and was absolutely enthralled throughout but afterwards the people who I went to see it with were not so fussed.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #147 on: June 16, 2013, 06:50:14 PM »
Also, it fails because it never, IMO, inspires.  There was no sense of wonder.
For you, maybe. I was giddy like a child throughout the whole damn thing. Don't assume that because you weren't inspired, others won't be either.

^^ This. I can't remember the last time I watched a film and smiled more. Loved it from start to finish

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: June 16, 2013, 06:50:55 PM »
^ ^ I am going on Wednesday. I think the best thing to do is go in with no preconceptions.

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #149 on: June 16, 2013, 06:58:13 PM »
Like I said, I'm glad you guys enjoyed it.  Trust me, I'm envious.  I would much rather be singing the praises of my most-anticipated movie in years, but that's not gonna happen.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: June 16, 2013, 07:00:11 PM »
Yeah that does suck when you're let down by something you've been waiting for..

I wasn't disappointed by Star Trek Into Darkness but I definitely didn't enjoy it *quite* as much as the previous one. :)

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #151 on: June 16, 2013, 07:03:23 PM »
I agree about Star Trek. I loved nearly every single second of that movie.  Into Darkness was very good, but there were a few parts that I could've done without. I hated the whole opening scene.

Online faizoff

« Reply #152 on: June 16, 2013, 07:17:03 PM »
If DTF is a sample at all, I see far users liking it than not.

Over at mp.com people automatically hate movies if they are 3D.

This is NOT the case, people over there, including me, have stated that we hate 3D technology itself and that has nothing to do with the movie. And every single movie comes out in both 2D and 3D so people have a choice in which medium they want to see it.
For me personally I get headaches and it detracts me from enjoying the movie itself so why would I want to see a movie in 3D? You're assuming too much.

Anyways, as stated I loved this movie. I echo what most have said that they could've refined and snipped the action a bit to make it super repetitive. I think what I loved most was the larger role of Krypton's back story. I grew up with the Donner superman movies, heck I've seen superman 3 and 4 in the theaters and loved it. I recently watched the first and second movies and I still feel a connection to them even though they're kinda campy but the story was great for that time.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline sueño

« Reply #153 on: June 16, 2013, 11:06:08 PM »
In spite of all the above, I am looking forward to the next film.  The crew will have their feet under them, I think and it could be great fun.

Lex Luthor must be in it.  Who should play him?  I loved Gene Hackman.  Thought Kevin Spacey was a good choice despite the lame movie.   :\  Common feature to the character is a smugness that makes you want to punch them in the face.   :coolio

Not sure if he's the right physical type but I think Philip Seymour Hoffman would knock it outta the park.  He's a great villian and he does disdain so well.  He'd have to be bald, though...

You guys *DID* see the LuthorCorp tanker truck get thrown around during the Metropolis first scenes, right?   :biggrin:
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: June 17, 2013, 12:20:41 AM »
You guys *DID* see the LuthorCorp tanker truck get thrown around during the Metropolis first scenes, right?   :biggrin:

I did, as well as the subtle "Smallville" billboard that was flashed briefly.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #155 on: June 17, 2013, 05:22:55 AM »
Fassbender should be Luthor, although maybe playing Magneto is enough for him

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: June 17, 2013, 06:06:40 AM »
If DTF is a sample at all, I see far users liking it than not.

Over at mp.com people automatically hate movies if they are 3D.

This is NOT the case, people over there, including me, have stated that we hate 3D technology itself and that has nothing to do with the movie. And every single movie comes out in both 2D and 3D so people have a choice in which medium they want to see it.
For me personally I get headaches and it detracts me from enjoying the movie itself so why would I want to see a movie in 3D? You're assuming too much.

Anyways, as stated I loved this movie. I echo what most have said that they could've refined and snipped the action a bit to make it super repetitive. I think what I loved most was the larger role of Krypton's back story. I grew up with the Donner superman movies, heck I've seen superman 3 and 4 in the theaters and loved it. I recently watched the first and second movies and I still feel a connection to them even though they're kinda campy but the story was great for that time.

I think the only movies that make sense in 3D are sci-fi like Prometheus where you can do scenes like the Orrery.

Star Trek Into Darkness didn't make any sense in 3D - it added absolutely nothing. You lost nothing seeing it in 2D.

Avatar was good in 3D because it added depth without going " woooahh ! pokey pokey ! " all the time.

When they start bringing out comedies and dramas in 3D then you know they're only doing it for the money.

What would be the point of " Latest Seth Rogen Comedy Vehicle in 3D " ?

( on ANY level ? )

Offline sueño

« Reply #157 on: June 17, 2013, 06:43:57 AM »
Fassbender should be Luthor, although maybe playing Magneto is enough for him

He's great, but I always see Luthor as one who evil because he has something to prove.  Bullied like Clark was but leaning towards revenge rather than justice.

Fassbender seems too cool and handsome, not a bully who had been bullied.  He needs to be jealous of Superman.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #158 on: June 17, 2013, 06:57:26 AM »

Well, that's not exactly an Easter Egg.  Superman was raised in Smallville.

I loved the film, thoroughly enjoyed it, and thought it was easily the best version of Superman yet to be brought to screen.  However, for me there was one giant plot hole.

Why the need for the Kryptonians to destroy Earth?  They obviously have the technology to terraform a planet to fit their particular needs, and also obviously have the technology to travel among the stars.  If their goal was to reinvent Krypton (on the face of it not an evil idea), why the need to destroy Earth to do it?  Why not just travel to a different planet, perhaps one devoid of intelligent life, and terraform THAT?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Miyazaki74

« Reply #159 on: June 17, 2013, 07:07:49 AM »
I absolutely loved this movie from beginning to end. I went to see it twice this weekend. The First time in 2D and the second in 3D. It was such a different and refreshing take of the superman story. It wasn't the same old story of Superman arrives and is chasing bad guys around the city from criminal activity or here comes Lex Luther with some krytonite to destroy Superman ::). It's the Superman movie I've always wanted to see. I can't believe people are complaining that there is too much action and destruction in this movie. You people ever read a superman comic book? Destruction is what happens when he faces other villains who are just as strong as he is. It's why I loved this movie, it truly was a Superman comic book come to life. I loved Hans Zimmer score as well, a John Williams type score would have been out of place for this movie. Man of Steel has become my favorite super hero movie of all time and just overall one of my favorite movies of all time.

Offline Miyazaki74

« Reply #160 on: June 17, 2013, 07:20:21 AM »

Why the need for the Kryptonians to destroy Earth?  They obviously have the technology to terraform a planet to fit their particular needs, and also obviously have the technology to travel among the stars.  If their goal was to reinvent Krypton (on the face of it not an evil idea), why the need to destroy Earth to do it?  Why not just travel to a different planet, perhaps one devoid of intelligent life, and terraform THAT?

Good question, didn't think of that one. I chalk it up to ZOD not caring what happens to the people of earth and he wanted to take vengeance against Superman by hurting the people he cared for.

Online faizoff

« Reply #161 on: June 17, 2013, 08:22:21 AM »
They needed to come to Earth to find Kal-el since he had the codecs of genetic life etc.. maybe convenience of rebirthing a planet when supes is already there? So since they're there just destroy it and reform it. I dunno, I'm sure there was a reason they chose earth.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #162 on: June 17, 2013, 08:28:49 AM »

Good question, didn't think of that one. I chalk it up to ZOD not caring what happens to the people of earth and he wanted to take vengeance against Superman by hurting the people he cared for.

Also remember Zod didn't want Superman to exist in the first place. "HERESY!"
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Miyazaki74

« Reply #163 on: June 17, 2013, 08:28:59 AM »
They needed to come to Earth to find Kal-el since he had the codecs of genetic life etc.. maybe convenience of rebirthing a planet when supes is already there? So since they're there just destroy it and reform it. I dunno, I'm sure there was a reason they chose earth.

Yup, that's sounds about right.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #164 on: June 17, 2013, 08:45:12 AM »

No, that sounds like lazy writing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Miyazaki74

« Reply #165 on: June 17, 2013, 09:20:34 AM »

What so lazy about it? It makes sense. It's Superman not Citizen Kane.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #166 on: June 17, 2013, 09:22:35 AM »

That is not a valid point.

Online faizoff

« Reply #167 on: June 17, 2013, 09:30:12 AM »
Let me elaborate a little more, Jor-el embedded the entire trillion or billion souls of Krypton into each cell of Kal-el. Zod and his minions (ba-bouy) needed Superman and had to extract all of those from his body in order to regenerate Krypton. Now this may be a wide assumption but I'm going to assume that superman wasnt going to go along their plan. So if they decided to recreate Krypton elsewhere in another galaxy, they still needed supes and need to come to earth to fetch him. Once they fetch him they would then need to extract the juice and then choose to recreate wherever they wanted.

Again whether one accepts it or not as a valid point or finds it as lazy writing is up to them. I didn't have a problem with it. Just like I didn't have a problem in Dark Knight rises when Bruce returns to Gotham from the prison without any explanation as to how he got back.

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #168 on: June 17, 2013, 09:30:35 AM »

Regardless of whether a movie is classic cinema or not, it has to have solid writing to come off as a believable and coherent plot.

I'm very excited to see this film, the darker take on Superman intrigues me. Don't get me wrong, I grew up watching Christopher Reeve's take on Superman when I was a kid, but I've always wanted to see a version of Superman with more... "struggle". It's always felt too easy when I watch Superman, like I know the guy is gonna win.

Maybe that's why I'm beginning to enjoy superhero movies less. Being sure that the good guy wins every time takes away the suspense..?

Offline Miyazaki74

« Reply #169 on: June 17, 2013, 09:31:02 AM »

That is not a valid point.

Yes it is  :P

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #170 on: June 17, 2013, 10:05:55 AM »
Let me elaborate a little more, Jor-el embedded the entire trillion or billion souls of Krypton into each cell of Kal-el. Zod and his minions (ba-bouy) needed Superman and had to extract all of those from his body in order to regenerate Krypton. Now this may be a wide assumption but I'm going to assume that superman wasnt going to go along their plan. So if they decided to recreate Krypton elsewhere in another galaxy, they still needed supes and need to come to earth to fetch him. Once they fetch him they would then need to extract the juice and then choose to recreate wherever they wanted.
They didn't know that he was embedded with the codex when they got there, but this seems to have been their plan from the beginning.  But the motivation for such a thing was never explained, unless I missed it.  If I did, someone please point it out to me.

Otherwise, it's just "because he's evil," or "because he's the bad guy."  But that's lazy.  He certainly didn't see himself as evil, and Jor-El never did either until he arrived at that council meeting on Krypton.

Online faizoff

« Reply #171 on: June 17, 2013, 10:57:30 AM »
They thought the codex was in that ship first. Then once they found the ship they(the scientist) figured out that superman had it embedded.

Also didnt Zod threaten that he would hunt down the kin of Jor-el before being banished to the Phantom zone?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 11:11:45 AM by faizoff »

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #172 on: June 17, 2013, 11:25:05 AM »
They thought the codex was in that ship first. Then once they found the ship they(the scientist) figured out that superman had it embedded.

Also didnt Zod threaten that he would hunt down the kin of Jor-el before being banished to the Phantom zone?
Exactly what I was about to bring up. He reiterated several times his vow to do so. As soon as adult Clark went into the ship and turned it on, he flagged Zod with a distress beacon. Zod comes across a Kryptonian distress signal, where else is he going to go? So he knows he's found the codex and Kal-El, both on Earth. Why waste time and resources finding another planet to terraform? Also, he's genetically designed to be a warrior - he probably thrived on the idea of replacing an old species with a new one.

Edit: By terraforming, Kryptonians would have lost the ability to fly, but the entire race would still have strength and powers on 'New Krypton' given their proximity to the sun.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #173 on: June 17, 2013, 11:35:49 AM »
Why waste time and resources finding another planet to terraform? Also, he's genetically designed to be a warrior - he probably thrived on the idea of replacing an old species with a new one.
Your last thought doesn't go along with being a warrior. 

He was bred for the purpose of of defending Krypton - he said that himself in the film.  And there is no indication that he was ever any kind of villain on Krypton.  Even his actions at the council, he saw as being in the defense of his world.  I just don't see what destroying another civilization has to do with that, and I think that is a weak point of the script.

Now, like I already said, I thoroughly enjoyed the film, and can't wait for the inevitable sequel.  But unless I'm missing something here, I'm not going to give it a free pass on this point.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: June 17, 2013, 12:01:03 PM »
I liked the film quite a lot! Although, like others have stated here, I thought the wholesale destruction of Metropolis went pretty far. I only noticed one time where Superman broke off the battle to help an innocent then he immediately went back to destroying property and putting innocents at risk. I kept thinking, "Why doesn't he at least attempt to lead the enemy away from population centers?" Plus, I want to know what his super suit and cape is made of!! That sucker is more indestructible than he is.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 12:23:35 PM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens