Author Topic: Winger  (Read 8643 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: Winger
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2012, 06:45:08 AM »
Always thought that Reb Beach is one hell of a guitarist. His non use of his little pinky finger certainly made him one of the most interesting players utilising the tapping technique.
Played with real passion but was always disappointed that his solos were so short.
Liked their first album but also remember they were the reason that made me a little hesitant to buy my first Dream Theater album - Images & Words.
I had only heard 'Another Day' and wasn't in the mood to get another album like the Winger debut, which is what I thought it may have been.
Anyway needless to say what a pleasant surprise I got.

From memory I think Reb got to cut loose more on the 2nd album, and since Pull they have been a guitar dominant band.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2012, 07:08:28 AM »
I think I'll be cranking some M16 today! :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2012, 08:01:53 AM »

I saw Winger on Halloween night, way back in 1990.  It was supposed to be a Kiss show (Hot in the Shade tour), but the show had already been postponed once, and Kiss ended up backing out of the rescheduled date.  So, Winger took over the headlining spot, with Slaughter opening.  Then both bands came on and did a combined encore. 

Winger was awesome, and Kip is a great frontman.  I caught one of his bass picks at the show. 

They literally tore the place down.

Will they have to pay for damages, or was the venue already scheduled for demolition?

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2012, 08:04:48 AM »
Always thought that Reb Beach is one hell of a guitarist. His non use of his little pinky finger certainly made him one of the most interesting players utilising the tapping technique.
Played with real passion but was always disappointed that his solos were so short.

Headed for a Heartbreak off the first album.... Reb solos for almost half the song!  it's the longest guitar solo on any radio track that i know of!

This was posted from the Saturday show in Charlotte:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKAeT1Z6-dk&feature=plcp

Still hoping someone will post the 8 minute Reb Solo... 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 08:21:19 AM by dbrooks22 »

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2012, 09:00:46 AM »
The venue was a small club beneath a popular restaurant in town.  Total attendance was 150-175.  Tickets were $25-30.  There were two opening bands.  No doubt that after expenses, Winger made no money on this show.  They were pretty much there to play.

Winger is awesome.

Plus, they got a guarantee + air-fare/accommodations to even show up...they were not playing for the door.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2012, 09:48:51 AM »
Here's Reb's solo from the small club show in Hickory, NC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9evoTQzeyuY&feature=related

Also this Reb vid just got posted on Youtube a couple days ago... shows how to play Seventeen (apparently everyone does it wrong).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLXyuHiBwFg&feature=relmfu
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 09:53:55 AM by dbrooks22 »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2012, 11:24:12 AM »
Hard to pick which hair band had the better guitarist, Winger or Danger Danger when Andy Timmons was in the band. Both give George Lynch a run for his money.

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2012, 11:33:10 AM »
If Hair Metal offered nothing else, there were some damn good guitarists in there...Beach, Timmons, Lynch, Steve Lynch (Autograph), Ronni LeTekro (TNT), Vito Bratta (White Lion), Nuno Bettencourt (Extreme)...

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2012, 01:04:32 PM »
If Hair Metal offered nothing else, there were some damn good guitarists in there...Beach, Timmons, Lynch, Steve Lynch (Autograph), Ronni LeTekro (TNT), Vito Bratta (White Lion), Nuno Bettencourt (Extreme)...

It's a big part of why I love my 80s LA metal.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2012, 02:16:15 PM »
Well, since we're lumping fantastic guitarists from non-hair metal bands of the '80s into the hair crowd, I have to do a quick drive-by Dave Meniketti appreciation.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT0rzxR6koE&feature=related  (volume swells at 3:00 done the old-school way, and DAT SOLO! at 5:05...   :omg:)

Oh, and :TAC:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2012, 03:44:11 PM »
Well, since we're lumping fantastic guitarists from non-hair metal bands of the '80s into the hair crowd, I have to do a quick drive-by Dave Meniketti appreciation.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT0rzxR6koE&feature=related  (volume swells at 3:00 done the old-school way, and DAT SOLO! at 5:05...   :omg:)

Oh, and :TAC:

Great player.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2012, 06:15:43 PM »

Thank you for mentioning them.  Wouldn't Gilbert be considered a product of hair metal (Mr. Big)?  Vai had his hair band hey-day too (DLR/Whitesnake).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2012, 06:39:22 AM »

Thank you for mentioning them.  Wouldn't Gilbert be considered a product of hair metal (Mr. Big)?  Vai had his hair band hey-day too (DLR/Whitesnake).

Yeah, but in my mind Gilbert and Vai were already established players that ventured into Hair Metal...they didn't debut within the genre. I would not consider Racer X (Gilbert) to be Hair Metal and Vai was an established shredder when Whitesnake snatched him up.

I remember telling some buddies of mine back in the day when Gilbert hit Mr. Big, Vai hit Whitesnake and Kotzen hit Poison...what's next, Tony MacAlpine joining LA Guns?  :lol

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2012, 07:40:58 AM »
I guess it's not much different than MLB stars joining the Yankees.  Follow the $$

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2012, 07:46:14 AM »
I guess it's not much different than MLB stars joining the Yankees.  Follow the $$

Oh yeah...if they were offered big $$ to do it, and could have a little fun, why not?

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2012, 03:34:59 PM »
I didn't write everything down, but here's what i can remember, not in order:

Deal with the Devil
Stone Cold Killer
Down Incognito
Your Great Escape
Can't Get Enough
Miles Away
Hungry
Rainbow in the Rose
You are the Saint, I am the Sinner
Madalaine
Seventeen
Headed for a Heartbreak
Helter Skelter (Beatles)

Totally forgot they opened with Pull Me Under. 
Also, they said they will be back in the studio soon to record a new album.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2012, 03:35:42 PM »
???  Uh...what?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2012, 06:31:22 PM »
Karma is an amazing album. Took me completely by surprise. I almost prefer Winger's Pull Me Under to Dream Theater's.  :eek

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2012, 08:17:51 AM »
Pretty good, short interview on That Metal Show.  Reb looks really nervous.

https://www.vh1.com/video/misc/500422/that-metal-show-season-4-episode-8-winger-part-1.jhtml

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2012, 05:03:14 PM »
I didn't watch that video but Reb has always come across quite anxious and nervous.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2023, 09:24:33 PM »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2023, 11:29:36 PM »
So we’ve got Extreme 6 and Winger 7. Can’t they come up with better titles? Both bands have had over a decade!  :lol
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2023, 06:42:26 AM »
Last night after the open mic night ended, the bartender put on the jukebox; I snuck in "Down Incognito" and had at least one person go "Oh! Who's this?"

Offline HOF

« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2023, 07:25:26 AM »
New song is pretty meh, but Kip still sounds good and at least it doesn’t have the same muddy mix that every band of that era seems to use these days.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2023, 07:49:20 AM »
There's a 1:30 minute preview for all the songs on itunes. It seems they returned for a more hard rock album, like on Pull and Karma.
For my part, I really love Winger IV and Better Days Comin'. I like Pull and Karma, but I think the first 2 are too much 80's hard rock for me (although I love Miles Away - guilty pleasure!), not my thing.

Offline HOF

« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2023, 07:58:20 AM »
There's a 1:30 minute preview for all the songs on itunes. It seems they returned for a more hard rock album, like on Pull and Karma.
For my part, I really love Winger IV and Better Days Comin'. I like Pull and Karma, but I think the first 2 are too much 80's hard rock for me (although I love Miles Away - guilty pleasure!), not my thing.

I’ve never made it all the way through Karma. Kind of hoping it’s not too much like that, but I did read an interview where they hinted it was. Pull is their masterpiece, but it had a lot of depth to it with all the 12 string acoustic on it. They haven’t ever really recaptured that vibe. I like IV alright, but I thought Better Days Coming had a lot of good songs on it, probably their strongest album since Pull.

Online faizoff

« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2023, 07:58:54 AM »
In The Heart of the Young has some really cool non 80's hard rock songs too and yeah Miles Away is a huge guilty pleasure of mine. Count me in too as a huge of everything they've done since Pull. That last two albums were excellent and am very curious about this new one. Haven't heard the single yet might just listen to it when the whole album drops.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2023, 08:18:23 AM »
I love that this thread that I've never seen was started by someone seeing Winger in my hometown.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2023, 08:50:23 AM »
BTW, the new song wasn't bad.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2023, 09:09:57 AM »

I’ve never made it all the way through Karma. Kind of hoping it’s not too much like that, but I did read an interview where they hinted it was. Pull is their masterpiece, but it had a lot of depth to it with all the 12 string acoustic on it. They haven’t ever really recaptured that vibe. I like IV alright, but I thought Better Days Coming had a lot of good songs on it, probably their strongest album since Pull.

I must admit that I should listen to Pull with more attention, since it's really praised by many.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2023, 10:05:30 AM »
The new song is fine. Hopefully it's one of the top 3-4 songs and not the best on the album (I am optimistic on that).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2023, 03:47:42 AM »
I thought that song was really quite good.  The video on the other hand.......
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2023, 05:04:06 AM »
Loved the new song.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2023, 10:15:46 AM »
Hey, are there any OFFICIAL acoustic version of "Down Incognito" available?  I saw an ALBUM called "Down Incognito" that looked to be acoustic versions of some of their hits, but I couldn't quite tell if it was legit, and/or if it was live.  I don't mind "live" but I'd like it to be better than bootleg quality (there are plenty of fan filmed versions of Kip doing it solo and that's not working for me).

Offline HOF

« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2023, 10:52:16 AM »
Hey, are there any OFFICIAL acoustic version of "Down Incognito" available?  I saw an ALBUM called "Down Incognito" that looked to be acoustic versions of some of their hits, but I couldn't quite tell if it was legit, and/or if it was live.  I don't mind "live" but I'd like it to be better than bootleg quality (there are plenty of fan filmed versions of Kip doing it solo and that's not working for me).

Yep! See here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pGD9WUGXOhM&list=PL5734E583421E493B&index=2

Down Incognito/Made By Hand/Another Way (it had different names in different countries) was Kip’s second solo release and featured mostly studio acoustic renditions of Winger hits and some of his solo songs (there are a couple live bonus tracks as well). The lead track Another away was the only original to that release, but it’s one of my favorite songs of his. Well worth checking out.