Author Topic: Winger  (Read 8642 times)

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
Winger
« on: July 20, 2012, 08:32:08 AM »
Headed to a Winger show tonight in Hickory, NC.  Figure it will be me and a few others watching some of the best musicians on planet earth in the basement of some club in the middle of nowhere.  Pretty excited.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Re: Winger
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 08:46:15 AM »
What kind of name for a band is Wringer?

(bonus points for anyone who gets that joke.)

Never had a problem with Winger; great bunch of musicians who wrote better than average commercial hard rock and metal. I proudly admit I loved their debut!
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 08:51:03 AM »
reb beach is super underrated. nasty player

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 09:36:38 AM »
Great live band. As chris said, reb Beach is great. Rod Morgenstein aint too shabby either. Much maligned (and the 1st album deserves some of that) but a great band.
And how many rock bands have a member who's written a ballet?   :omg:

Pull is a Lowdz top 50 album.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 10:51:31 AM »
I only have their best of, but I really enjoy it. Winger seemingly got more grief then they deserved and I would say they were better then your typical hair metal band.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 10:54:45 AM »
just reading up on Winger on wiki and saw a DT mention. talking about lars ulrich throwing darts at a picture of Kip in the Nothing Else Matters music video:

"Our band was known to musicians, and a lot of musicians showed up to see me play — watching trying to figure out how I'm playing — we were like the 'hair band' [version of] Dream Theater ... That is why it's the great irony that we ended up on that geeky guy's shirt on Beavis & Butt-head, because Metallica couldn't play what we play, they couldn't do it, they literally — technically couldn't do it. And I'll fucking challenge those chumps to that any day of the week, but we could play their music with our hands tied behind our back. And so, I was a little t'd off about that, but in the end, none of that shit matters..."

he's right though :lol

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 11:34:10 AM »
I was going to make mention of that too Chris. :biggrin:  A very talented band who as JJ noted caught too much grief.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 11:42:41 AM »
some of the best musicians on planet earth

See, I'm not hearing this.  I've checked out some Winger on Youtube and it just sounds like super generic glam to me.  What am I missing?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 11:48:16 AM »
I remember thinking that Winger is a silly name for a band.  Then I found out that they're named for Kip Winger and I remember thinking that Kip is a silly name for a guy.

I always think of JP's quote about never wanting a second guitarist in DT because they don't do that gay Winger shit.  So if Winger see themselves as a proggier version of hair metal, DT still saw them as prog metal lite.

I have no idea what my point is, but I hope you have a good time at the show.  I've heard that they do put on a good show.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 11:52:22 AM »
I always think of JP's quote about never wanting a second guitarist in DT because they don't do that gay Winger shit.  So if Winger see themselves as a proggier version of hair metal, DT still saw them as prog metal lite.

hahaha where can i find this?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 12:13:11 PM »
Winger's 90s stuff is amazing. Very talented stuff.

Ricky, not everything that is Melodic needs to carry the stigma of "glam".  For a guy who wasn't even alive in the 80s, you seem to have a bone to pick with that decade?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 12:17:53 PM »
Winger's 90s stuff is amazing. Very talented stuff.

Ricky, not everything that is Melodic needs to carry the stigma of "glam".  For a guy who wasn't even alive in the 80s, you seem to have a bone to pick with that decade?

I don't!  I think I've told you that a few times, now. :lol

Winger is a glam band.  I heard the glam, and I identified it.  Wikipedia agrees with my label, by the way.

What I was asking for was examples of this great musicianship that everybody's on about in this thread.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 12:42:35 PM »

I think it was in one of the DVD commentaries, in response to someone asking why they never had Derek or Jordan (I don't remember which, but they both play guitar) pick up a guitar instead of coming up with keyboards to do essentially the same thing as a second guitar would do.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 02:47:34 PM »

See, I'm not hearing this.  I've checked out some Winger on Youtube and it just sounds like super generic glam to me.  What am I missing?

Try this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IDhmX71IsY

and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeBMIAVBtQQ&feature=related

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 02:48:15 PM »
in b4 TAC
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 02:56:31 PM »

Never had a problem with Winger; great bunch of musicians who wrote better than average commercial hard rock and metal. I proudly admit I loved their debut!

Stop calling the band by Kip's real last name.  I love Winger.  I admit it.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 02:56:53 PM »
Even from the so called glam era- if you can't tell the difference between this and the Poisons and Faster Pussycats of the world then Winger aren't for you  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRzgT9pNy6o

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 03:52:30 PM »
Winger are a terrific band.  They wiped the floor as far as musicianship went with every other late 80's glam band.  That can be expected though when you have Reb and Rod in your band.

First two albums were great, but Pull was absolutely incredible.  It's mature, melodic, well written and performed.  IV was really good and the last one Karma was amazing too.

It's sad how much shit they copped pver the years.  They really should have had more success, they didn't deserve the constant slagging they received.

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 06:58:14 PM »
in b4 TAC
:lol

Not a fuc#ing thing!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 07:02:04 PM »

Not a fuc#ing thing!

:lol :lol

I tried the songs that were posted in this thread, but I don't know.  It just didn't work.  It's definitely nothing Metallica couldn't do (lack of a keyboardist notwithstanding).

But I'm going to duck out of this thread now that we've determined I don't like the band.  Cheers.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 07:11:39 PM »

Not a fuc#ing thing!

I tried the songs that were posted in this thread, but I don't know.  It just didn't work.  It's definitely nothing Metallica couldn't do (lack of a keyboardist notwithstanding).

But I'm going to duck out of this thread now that we've determined I don't like the band.  Cheers.
Meet you on the other side!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 09:38:59 PM »

Stop calling the band by Kip's real last name.  I love Winger.  I admit it.

Oh god, I'm going to have to explain it, aren't I?   :lol

Bill Murray's character in the movie Stripes is named John Winger. At the start of the film, he's a cabbie, and a woman gets in his cab and at one point asks "What kind of name is 'Wringer'?" I've made that joke about the band since their first album came out.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 09:41:57 PM »
Karma is an amazing album. Took me completely by surprise. I almost prefer Winger's Pull Me Under to Dream Theater's.  :eek

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2012, 08:16:02 AM »

Not a fuc#ing thing!

Reb Beach was a young star out of Berkeley in '84, and pretty much had his choice of bands to play in.  He is about 5X the player that Kirk Hammett is.
Rod Morgenstein is one of the greatest living drummers.  He won best overall drummer in 1999 Modern Drummer reader's poll, along with many other awards.  Lars cannot play what Rod plays - he doesn't have anywhere near the skill.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2012, 08:31:29 AM »
Alright folks - here's the report from last night's show:

First of all, going to see Winger was one of the best decisions i have ever made.  These guys have a very slim tour schedule - which shouldn't surprise anyone - and flew in from Michigan last night to play in the podunk town of Hickory, NC.  They play in Charlotte tonight.

The venue was a small club beneath a popular restaurant in town.  Total attendance was 150-175.  Tickets were $25-30.  There were two opening bands.  No doubt that after expenses, Winger made no money on this show.  They were pretty much there to play.

The guys ROCKED that little place with ferocity.  Not kidding - one of the best shows i've ever seen.  They had so much power/force up there.  I couldn't help but wonder about it - why they were there, how they felt playing to such a small audience, etc.  But they ROCKED up there, and were having an absolute blast.  The band is tight as ever.  They literally tore the place down.

Set was approximately 1:40.  They played all of their hits, mixed in with a few tracks from Pull, IV, and Karma.  It was a great combination of songs.  They also covered Aint Talking Bout Love by VH, and Helter Skelter. 

Reb was fucking insane.  That guy goes from touring with Whitesnake in front of XX,XXX people to playing with Winger in front of XXX people.  But you can tell he loves ever minute of it.  He left everything in that room.

Rod - same.  He was playing a local rental kit (not cost effective to travel with drums these days if you're not a big act), but he tore it down over and over.  Both he and Reb had solo time onstage.  It was a gift to be able to see these masters operate at such close range.  I was pretty much 5ft in front of Reb for the whole show.

Guys - this could be the best bang for your buck out there.  I HIGHLY recommend going to see Winger if they come anywhere near you.  I'm thinking about spending the $18 to go see them again tonight in Charlotte.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2012, 08:38:03 AM »

I think it was in one of the DVD commentaries, in response to someone asking why they never had Derek or Jordan (I don't remember which, but they both play guitar) pick up a guitar instead of coming up with keyboards to do essentially the same thing as a second guitar would do.

That's interesting that he would say that, given that Kip and Rod have both been featured on Rudess/Myung's solo/side projects.  I wouldn't be surprised if JP was just poking fun.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2012, 09:10:32 AM »
i always loved how the drummer shifts the beat in the part after the guitar solo in seventeen

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2012, 01:32:08 PM »
Listening to Winger because I remember digging these guys, not seeing how they're considered glam metal  ???
They're something much much much much better.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2012, 02:09:07 PM »
Listening to Winger because I remember digging these guys, not seeing how they're considered glam metal  ???
They're something much much much much better.

A lot of glam/hair metal bands are/were.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2012, 02:58:32 PM »
Alright.  I'm headed down to Charlotte to see them again.  Best 20 bucks i'll spend this year.

Offline MetropolisWatches

• I&W/Awake/SFAM/6 Degrees
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2012, 04:36:44 PM »
reb beach is super underrated. nasty player

I'd have to agree with you on that one.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2012, 04:28:09 AM »
Alright.  I'm headed down to Charlotte to see them again.  Best 20 bucks i'll spend this year.

$20 to see this amazing band, while huge mainstream shitfest acts charge hundreds to see their pathetic barely live show.  Disappointing.

The live DVD they released a couple of years ago was killer.  I'm not sure how familiar you are with their songs but any chance you could post teh full setlist after the show?  I would love to know what exactly they are playing now.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2012, 08:50:24 AM »
I didn't write everything down, but here's what i can remember, not in order:

Deal with the Devil
Stone Cold Killer
Down Incognito
Your Great Escape
Can't Get Enough
Miles Away
Hungry
Rainbow in the Rose
You are the Saint, I am the Sinner
Madalaine
Seventeen
Headed for a Heartbreak
Helter Skelter (Beatles)

They tore the place down, built it back up, and tore it down again.  Reb's solo was ridiculous.  He went off for like 8 minutes or something.  I'm hoping someone will post it to Youtube so i can post the link.  That guy is a BEAST of a player.  John Roth is impressive too, although most don't know who he is.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2012, 03:26:08 AM »
Great selection of songs.

John Roth's solo spot on the last DVD was killer.  His work on Giant's album, Promise Land is incredible too.

Offline Bill Carson

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2012, 04:18:06 AM »
Always thought that Reb Beach is one hell of a guitarist. His non use of his little pinky finger certainly made him one of the most interesting players utilising the tapping technique.
Played with real passion but was always disappointed that his solos were so short.
Liked their first album but also remember they were the reason that made me a little hesitant to buy my first Dream Theater album - Images & Words.
I had only heard 'Another Day' and wasn't in the mood to get another album like the Winger debut, which is what I thought it may have been.
Anyway needless to say what a pleasant surprise I got.