Author Topic: Shooting at TDKR in Colorado  (Read 13034 times)

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Shooting at TDKR in Colorado
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2012, 01:13:25 PM »
As much as we don't like the fact that TDKR had anything to do with this tragic event, it will undeniable be linked in peoples minds. It's just the way society has evolved

Columbine=Marilyn Manson
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2012, 01:14:51 PM »
Absolutely terrible. It's equally disgusting to know that many people will be exploiting these peoples' deaths to push their own political agendas.

This.

Jackie was residing in Denver, last I heard. 

She is, and she's alright.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2012, 01:20:36 PM »
Pie, I completely get the motivation behind art like that, or what Marion Crane posted.  But it also bugs me a bit as well.  Batman had nothing to do with why this idiot did what he did.  He did it because he's nuts or because he's evil (or possibly a bit of both).  That really has nothing to do with Batman, its creators, or anything associated with the movies or comics whatsoever.  I really dislike re-enforcing any sort of link whatsoever.

Yeah I understand, but you can't deny that the incident will always be tied to the movie. I just thought it was a pretty nifty piece.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2012, 01:20:45 PM »
Pie, I completely get the motivation behind art like that, or what Marion Crane posted.  But it also bugs me a bit as well.  Batman had nothing to do with why this idiot did what he did.  He did it because he's nuts or because he's evil (or possibly a bit of both).  That really has nothing to do with Batman, its creators, or anything associated with the movies or comics whatsoever.  I really dislike re-enforcing any sort of link whatsoever.
Huh.  I don't get that.  Merely seems to be that it's suggesting that Batman would mourn their loss.  We'll see pictures of Obama and McCain bowing in solemn thought, and nobody will think they're linked to it in any way other than they were affected by it.

My issue is that I just think those sort of things are cheesy. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2012, 01:36:15 PM »
 :facepalm:

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2012, 01:40:34 PM »
"New York Police Department Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly told him that the suspect had “hair painted red,” like the Batman character, The Joker."

anything for a story. wasnt joker's hair always green?

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2012, 01:42:47 PM »
wasnt joker's hair always green?

Yep, always.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2012, 01:44:28 PM »
"New York Police Department Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly told him that the suspect had “hair painted red,” like the Batman character, The Joker."

Why are they interviewing a new york police commissioner?

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2012, 01:49:57 PM »
I so, so, so wish the NYPDC's name had been Raymond W. Gordon instead.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2012, 01:50:20 PM »
i read a piece about a popular motive for these mass shootings: immortality. this kids face and name are going to be EVERYWHERE, for a very long time. and on top of that the violence in movies and gun control debates are going to take off

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2012, 01:51:30 PM »
i read a piece about a popular motive for these mass shootings: immortality. this kids face and name are going to be EVERYWHERE, for a very long time. and on top of that the violence in movies and gun control debates are going to take off

But it won't.

Do you remember the kids names from Columbine? I'm guessing not. None of us do.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2012, 01:52:20 PM »

Why would you want to go and mess up a perfectly good piece of sensationalist fucking nonsense with a cold hard slab of fact?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2012, 01:52:34 PM »

But it won't.

I do.

Notoriety is a popular motive, though. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2012, 01:54:12 PM »
and then cho seung hui (no idea how to spell it) from VA Tech. just speculating on 1 motive. so far its either that or he was inspired by jack nicholson's joker, but sprayed painted his head red instead. according to the news

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2012, 02:14:10 PM »
Oh, good, so he's fucking crazy and stupid  :|

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2012, 02:53:49 PM »

But it won't.

I do.

Notoriety is a popular motive, though.

It is, and I thought this has attention seeker written all over it as soon as I read he was standing outside waiting to be arrested and then when i saw his picture. That guy wanted to be a media buzz and a fuckin trend of the week IMO. I hope he gets capital punishment after he enjoys his 15 minutes of fame.
This made me so angry, to know you can have access to such weapons legally, I'd rather get shot and die by a criminal with a stolen gun than in a shoot out with another a normal guy who has as a legally purchased gun, at least I'll know there's absolutely nothing that could have been done to prevent it. What is this Red Dead Redemption?! What fuckin year is this?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline unklejman

« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2012, 03:01:54 PM »
I don't understand how normal people have access to this kind of weaponry.

I would hardly call this guy normal.

Also I find those memorial photoshop images vomit inducing...

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2012, 03:03:10 PM »
the guy apparently graduated college for neuroscience

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »
This made me so angry, to know you can have access to such weapons legally, I'd rather get shot and die by a criminal with a stolen gun than in a shoot out with another a normal guy who has as a legally purchased gun, at least I'll know there's absolutely nothing that could have been done to prevent it. What is this Red Dead Redemption?! What fuckin year is this?
The sorts of weapons he had doesn't really play into it (except for the 40 gauge that CNN said he had).   Either you can own a weapon or you can't, and what he owned wasn't all that out of line. 

What's actually surprising is that in Colorado, 12 of the movie goers didn't return fire.  Makes me wonder if movie theaters aren't weapons free zones, which in retrospect might be a crappy policy.
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2012, 03:27:36 PM »
I don't understand how normal people have access to this kind of weaponry.

I would hardly call this guy normal.

Normal guy = not a Policeman or FBI agent.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2012, 03:39:24 PM »
What's actually surprising is that in Colorado, 12 of the movie goers didn't return fire.  Makes me wonder if movie theaters aren't weapons free zones, which in retrospect might be a crappy policy.

Again , maybe it's just me, how fast do you expect normal people to react to this even if they had guns?! Is this a Sergio Leone movie? If I had a gun and for some highly up normal paranoid reason decided it should be on me at the movies, I would still definitely be dead in a dark movie theater when some guy busts through the emergency door shooting people.
Do normal gun buyers here undergo some obligatory training of any sort? at least reflex and reaction in respect to potential shoot out situations.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2012, 04:02:36 PM »
Those Western-style shooting matches are a pipe dream of gun owners anyway. You got hundreds of people screaming and running in a dark room. Using your gun would very likely result in even more casualties.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2012, 04:07:50 PM »

Again , maybe it's just me, how fast do you expect normal people to react to this even if they had guns?! Is this a Sergio Leone movie? If I had a gun and for some highly up normal paranoid reason decided it should be on me at the movies, I would still definitely be dead in a dark movie theater when some guy busts through the emergency door shooting people.
Do normal gun buyers here undergo some obligatory training of any sort? at least reflex and reaction in respect to potential shoot out situations.
To carry in public normally requires a permit, which normally requires a class and some range time to demonstrate reasonable proficiency.  You don't have to be Harry Callahan, but you're expected to not be Barny Fife.  Down here, it's 8 hours of class time, which I believe covers mostly the legal shoot/don't shoot aspect.  It's generally assumed that a person who bothers to get a permit will be the responsible sort. 

Carrying in public is a strange thing.  I'm a gun owner, but I have no desire to carry it around.  Plenty of others feel differently.  There are a few CCW guys here, at least one of whom does prefer to have it with him at all times.  He would have been armed in that theater, and I suspect would have been a good guy to have on hand.  So yeah, it's somewhat surprising that nobody in the theater returned fire.

As for reflex and judgment, another interesting aspect.  Very rarely is anybody particular good in a gunfight.  Cops are notoriously bad shots.  Somewhat surprisingly, civvies often turn out to be more adept in such a situation, because they tend to practice a lot more often.  However, the important thing here is that doing nothing resulted in a very bad situation.  John Q. Vigilante might pop up out of the back row and shoot the wrong guy, but the greater likelihood is that he improves the situation.  Definite shitty situation loses out to possible shitty situation/possible better situation. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2012, 04:14:51 PM »
Thanks for explaining, that makes sense.
Is there a recorded case of a similar situation where the outcome was improved because one of the unsuspecting bystanders or people under fire was a gun owner who reacted?

Offline unklejman

« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2012, 04:16:35 PM »
Cops are notoriously bad shots.  Somewhat surprisingly, civvies often turn out to be more adept in such a situation, because they tend to practice a lot more often.

I just wanted to point out that cops are "civvies".

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2012, 04:31:34 PM »
Cops are notoriously bad shots.  Somewhat surprisingly, civvies often turn out to be more adept in such a situation, because they tend to practice a lot more often.

I just wanted to point out that cops are "civvies".
The term "civilian" is also often used metaphorically to refer to people who are not members of a particular profession or occupation, especially by civilian law enforcement agencies, which often adopt rank structures emulating those of military units.

Technically, you are correct, but mine was a valid and accepted usage. 

Thanks for explaining, that makes sense.
Is there a recorded case of a similar situation where the outcome was improved because one of the unsuspecting bystanders or people under fire was a gun owner who reacted?
Nothing of that scale that I'm aware of, but certainly plenty of potentially deadly situations have been defused by armed citizens.  An old guy caught up in a robbery was recently in the news for opening fire on the two robbers. 

Regardless, it's not real meaningful whether or not it has occurred since the opportunities for such an outcome are exceedingly rare.  If shooting sprees were common place, you'd see plenty of improved outcomes due to armed bystanders.

It's also the case that we have no idea what any alternative outcome would be.  That makes it difficult to judge the results.  Maybe the aforementioned vigilante stops the bad guy but kills a bystander in the process.  How would we know how many others might have been saved by his actions?  Maybe none, maybe plenty.  So, anytime somebody shoots an assailant, there's no way of knowing if he actually just prevented a much more deadly situation from occurring. 
E.F. Benson

Offline unklejman

« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2012, 05:00:25 PM »
The term "civilian" is also often used metaphorically to refer to people who are not members of a particular profession or occupation, especially by civilian law enforcement agencies, which often adopt rank structures emulating those of military units.

It's accepted, but imo wrongfully so, hence my bringing it up. I have a huge problem with the increased militarization of civilian police forces.  But that's probably best saved for P&R.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2012, 05:08:38 PM »

It's accepted, but imo wrongfully so, hence my bringing it up. I have a huge problem with the increased militarization of civilian police forces.  But that's probably best saved for P&R.
Preaching to the choir here.  There's even a thread on that exact subject in P/R. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2012, 05:15:34 PM »
At least he didn't end up robbin' the theater as well.

Too soon?

On topic... well, shit. This is on cnn.com now.

Source: Suspect said he was Joker

Also, one of the first things I read this morning is that authorities didn't think this had any ties to terrorism or radical Islam. Are we still in that mindset?

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2012, 05:24:25 PM »
Also, one of the first things I read this morning is that authorities didn't think this had any ties to terrorism or radical Islam. Are we still in that mindset?
In an election season?  You bet. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2012, 09:55:46 PM »
Unfortunately, this piece of shit will probably plead insanity and not get what he deserves. Hopefully he's beaten to death in jail before the trial.