Author Topic: Shooting at TDKR in Colorado  (Read 13031 times)

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
Re: Shooting at TDKR in Colorado
« Reply #175 on: July 23, 2012, 12:26:35 PM »
i still am confused by him tipping off police about the booby-traps. change of heart? doesn't revealing defeat the purpose of them in the first place? very weird

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #176 on: July 23, 2012, 12:32:32 PM »
The unused ammo certainly matters.  I'm sure it's not going to make a big difference in the outcome of the trial, but Adami's right, it sheds a bit of light into the mentality of the perpetrator.

What's far more worrisome is the booby-trapped apartment, I'm sure, which confusingly I haven't been hearing too much about.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #177 on: July 23, 2012, 12:34:04 PM »
i still am confused by him tipping off police about the booby-traps. change of heart? doesn't revealing defeat the purpose of them in the first place? very weird
Yeah, seemed a bit strange to me too.  A couple of things, though.  Johnny wouldn't have barged in after his rampage.  They would have done exactly what they did, and investigated through a window.  Booby traps are expected in such a situation. He probably didn't save any lives by tipping them off.  Also, it wouldn't have fit in with the milieu he created.  He didn't want to blow up people investigating him.  He wanted another attack on unsuspecting people. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline T-ski

« Reply #178 on: July 23, 2012, 12:51:31 PM »
watching that dude at his prelim today was freaky.  His face was telling all sorts of stories.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline unklejman

« Reply #179 on: July 23, 2012, 03:02:41 PM »
Here is an interview with my friend's coworker. Crazy story. Don't mind the host.

https://www.schnittshow.com/go/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104668&article=10289211

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #180 on: July 23, 2012, 03:05:50 PM »
watching that dude at his prelim today was freaky.  His face was telling all sorts of stories.

Yeah, assuming somebody in custody doesn't have any access to mind-altering drugs, it's rather interesting if that is his "sober state".

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: July 24, 2012, 06:00:46 PM »
This link contains a video of the guy at court. It looks to me like he's acting
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Major Thirteenth

• He has his father's eyes... Gomez, take those out of his mouth.
« Reply #182 on: July 24, 2012, 06:53:37 PM »
I'm sick of the media. All they can talk about is how crazy the gunman is. Sure he is crazy, but...

How many times does this have to happen before Americans ask the question, what are we doing wrong? The news should be reporting on that. Investigating what it is about our fucked up society that makes people go out and shoot each other?

Maybe if this was happening once a week? Maybe it would take more?

Every so often, a psychotic will snap and kill people. Sometimes it will be a gun. Sometimes it will be a bomb. Sometimes it will be a substance. Sometimes it will be fire. Sometimes it will be a carnival. Sometimes it will be a post office. Sometimes it will be on a cruise liner or a plane or a train. Sometimes it will be wherever. And however. Doesn't really matter. 300,000,000 people, 300,000,000 situations, 300,000,000 mental states.

It does not happen frequently, but it always will happen periodically. Usually every few years. That is the nature of human beings on the planet Earth.

What we should not do is engage in useless hyperbole or consider draconian curtailment of our freedom in a reactionary and irrational attempt to stop what cannot be stopped.

What to do? Cry. Prosecute. Execute the offender. Move on. We don't need laws, or policies, or restrictions on our freedoms. These things are exceedingly rare and affect an infinitesimally small amount of people. The rarest disease in America has probably killed 1000 times more people than those killed by every mass murdering psychopath in our entire history.

So no, I do not want any new laws or any changes to laws as a result of this. It's just a fluke. A rare fluke. And a fluke that will happen again someday, in some new way, and with some new method.

We can't pass laws to eliminate human madness. We shouldn't try. As Benjamin Franklin said: "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"

I heartily concur.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #183 on: July 24, 2012, 06:54:39 PM »
So Christian Bale has actually been going around and visiting the injured survivors and the victims. Cool guy.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #184 on: July 24, 2012, 06:56:35 PM »
I have heard this guy called "psychotic" a bunch of times. I would like to point out that from a clinical perspective, there is (as of yet anyway) no evidence for him being psychotic. Killing a bunch of innocent people does not make you a psychotic. I would love to understand the motives behind his actions however.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #185 on: July 24, 2012, 06:58:09 PM »
What to do? Cry. Prosecute. Execute the offender. Comfort those who were personally impacted.  Move on.

I agree with your post, with the above addition.

So Christian Bale has actually been going around and visiting the injured survivors and the victims. Cool guy.

That's really cool.  I was silently hoping he would.  Nice gesture on his part.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #186 on: July 24, 2012, 07:00:28 PM »
I have heard this guy called "psychotic" a bunch of times. I would like to point out that from a clinical perspective, there is (as of yet anyway) no evidence for him being psychotic. Killing a bunch of innocent people does not make you a psychotic. I would love to understand the motives behind his actions however.

Most people just use that word to describe someone who has conducted in extremely heinous actions. I don't think they lend credence to the clinical implications.

That's really cool.  I was silently hoping he would.  Nice gesture on his part.

Yeah, me too. The pseudo-campaign that started on Facebook kind of bothered me, but it's very admirable for him to do it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #187 on: July 24, 2012, 07:04:45 PM »
It's interesting to me that people are getting pissed off at the prospect that maybe he's a nutjob.  As if the situation is more tragic if you don't get to kill the guy.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #188 on: July 24, 2012, 07:08:45 PM »
It's interesting to me that people are getting pissed off at the prospect that maybe he's a nutjob.  As if the situation is more tragic if you don't get to kill the guy.

Do you mean that if he's a "nutjob" than he will not be executed, and thus people are getting upset? Just making sure I am reading that right.

Cause if so, then I agree. But the blood lust of people to see others punished has been around forever and won't be going away anytime soon, as sad as it is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #189 on: July 24, 2012, 07:13:44 PM »

Do you mean that if he's a "nutjob" than he will not be executed, and thus people are getting upset? Just making sure I am reading that right.

Cause if so, then I agree. But the blood lust of people to see others punished has been around forever and won't be going away anytime soon, as sad as it is.
Yeah, media outlets are speculating about his mental state, and the prospect of him being to sick to execute is really pissing people off. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #190 on: July 24, 2012, 10:24:21 PM »
Well, we won't know until evidence for psychosis arises, or hey, doesn't.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #191 on: July 24, 2012, 11:08:15 PM »
Personally...I thought he looked "out of it"...but I also thought he looked like (on some level) reality was setting in.   The look on his face *to me* was one of "holy S&*T...reality check...I'm in a courtroom, and I could f'ing DIE because of what I just did....OMFG...HS...WTF...."

Almost like he had to be deeply sedated to keep him from panicking.   Like he thought it would be really cool to act out like the Joker...but hadn't thought it through to the part where he *actually* killed people, gets arrested, and faces the chair. 

That's what I got out of his demeanor.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

« Reply #192 on: July 24, 2012, 11:10:30 PM »
I have no idea what the court psychologists or psychiatrists will find, but based solely on how he acted in court and his reported intelligence and previous education I'd put some money on malingering. Though obviously he needs a formal assessment.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #193 on: July 25, 2012, 07:54:46 AM »
Malingering is great word. 

I certainly got the same impression Jamminduded did.  It's pretty clear that his plans didn't play out at all like he expected them to, and I don't think he ever expected to have to tend to consequences.  I'm not sure on whose authority he could be medicated, so I don't really buy that notion.  There's also the very real possibility that he hadn't slept in days before that appearance. 
E.F. Benson

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #194 on: July 25, 2012, 08:14:21 AM »
jailhouse workers said no one was giving him meds, and that it might be an act. going for that insanity plea?

anyway, christian bale visited some victims yesterday. good man

Offline Woodworker1

« Reply #195 on: July 25, 2012, 08:56:37 AM »
There was another Aurora, Colorado shooting in April 2012.  It is tempting to try to compare the two shootings even the shooters and circumstances were very different.

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/04/22/2-shot-outside-aurora-church/#.T5WjZzkp8hQ.facebook

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #196 on: July 25, 2012, 09:07:41 AM »
This link contains a video of the guy at court. It looks to me like he's acting

Yeah, I think he was acting too.  He's getting his ducks in a row to hopefully end up like John Hinckley, in some laid-back nut house.  I don't think he can achieve it though.  Society tends to get retribution when you whack a dozen people in cold blood. 

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #197 on: July 25, 2012, 01:41:23 PM »
"The suspect in the worst mass shooting in US history had a Batman poster in his bedroom, allegedly told arresting officers that he was "The Joker," and dyed his hair red like that classic villain."

can someone who is more familiar with all incarnations of the joker, let me know when he had red hair?

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: July 25, 2012, 01:43:49 PM »
Never.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: July 25, 2012, 01:48:41 PM »
I'm pretty sure the Joker's hair is usually red.  Not the same shade of red as this guy used, but, red nonetheless. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: July 25, 2012, 01:49:31 PM »
"The suspect in the worst mass shooting in US history had a Batman poster in his bedroom, allegedly told arresting officers that he was "The Joker," and dyed his hair red like that classic villain."

can someone who is more familiar with all incarnations of the joker, let me know when he had red hair?

didn't he have a red wig on when posing as the nurse in TDK
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #201 on: July 25, 2012, 01:49:46 PM »
I'm pretty sure the Joker's hair is always red.  Not the same shade of red as this guy used, but, red nonetheless.
No, it's pretty green..

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: July 25, 2012, 01:50:53 PM »
I'm pretty sure the Joker's hair is always red.  Not the same shade of red as this guy used, but, red nonetheless.
No, it's pretty green..

Okay.

This would probably be a pretty good time to mention that I'm color-blind and really can't distinguish red and green at all most of the time. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #203 on: July 25, 2012, 01:54:13 PM »
No, it's pretty green..

Okay.

This would probably be a pretty good time to mention that I'm color-blind and really can't distinguish red and green at all most of the time.
lol, it's all good, I wouldn't have worded it like an ass if I'd known that  :lol
But I guess the closest correlation is in TDK when he's the nurse, he has a strawberry-blonde wig on (same color as my sisters hair)  but not really red.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #204 on: July 25, 2012, 01:55:02 PM »

the nurse wig is really pushing it to try and connect the dots between the shooter and the character. the wig is on for like two seconds in the film, then he removes it

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: July 25, 2012, 01:59:13 PM »
not trying to connect anything but who knows what this guy was thinking...maybe he associated the red wig with the Joker stepping outside of himself and he dying his hair red as stepping outside of himself...buts thats a real stretch

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #206 on: July 25, 2012, 02:01:41 PM »
the nurse wig is really pushing it to try and connect the dots between the shooter and the character. the wig is on for like two seconds in the film, then he removes it

Exactly. It's a disguise, not his actual hair.  The Joker's hair is ALWAYS green, never red.  And if there was ever an exception to that rule, it was such a brief, obscure one that it doesn't even matter.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #207 on: July 25, 2012, 02:04:21 PM »
not trying to connect anything but who knows what this guy was thinking...maybe he associated the red wig with the Joker stepping outside of himself and he dying his hair red as stepping outside of himself...buts thats a real stretch

That's like saying "He dressed in a convict jumpsuit to associate himself with Batman" because Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne character was briefly in a prison in the first film.  That's beyond a stretch.  Let's just acknowledge that the reporter who wrote that got it completely wrong, and is irresponsible for not fact-checking the story.  (just like they did with other details since the incident happened)

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: July 25, 2012, 02:07:47 PM »
I agree the reporter got it wrong but he has refered to himself as "the Joker" according to the initial police reports or maybe he is color blind like Jaffa and thought he was dying his hair green

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #209 on: July 25, 2012, 02:45:58 PM »
Caesar Romero's hair was closer to red than green, although it seemed to vary a bit. 
E.F. Benson