Author Topic: The Bad Salad Thread v. Debut Album Uncivilized due out July 24th 2012  (Read 4854 times)

Offline Pinga

For a band with a member who is very critical of DT's latest, this contains some of the most generic prog metal I've ever heard.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
Listened to Nemesis and Crowded Sky. Didn't make it through Crowded Sky.

rumborak

once the vox kicked in, I shut it off

For a band with a member who is very critical of DT's latest, this contains some of the most generic prog metal I've ever heard.

Bingo!  :tup

When I first heard about the I&W controversy, that's what really ticked me off. The phrase "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" came to mind. Then Mike "inspiration corner" Portnoy rushed to his defense. But I can forgive both of them. They're only human.

By the way, I always thought Thiago's band was called VRA until this thread. Did they change it, and if so, why to something like Bad Salad?  :huh:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Listened to some of this. Very bland despite their affinity for throwing in the kitchen sink on every song I've heard. A "bad salad" indeed.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Probably because "Crowded Sky" is essentially hookless and flavorless; I don't much care for it either. What did you think of "Nemesis", though?

Just listening to it again based on your response. First 6 minutes in, so far not a single moment I enjoyed. So constructed, so lifeless.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Tiko

• Keyboardist for The Storyline
Haven't heard the album yet. What I've heard from them before is DT fans copying DT with nothing original. I don't mean to sound harsh. But I'm still curious to check this out, maybe they've already developed their own style!

- Tiko

Offline PetFish

It's sad cuz I REALLY love their DT covers they've done and I think they are amazing musicians and can play anything.

However...

1)  Attitude and character mean a lot to me and it will affect how I view and treat things.  For a guy who obviously loves DT and prog, for him to take so many shots at ADToE is highly juvenile and uncalled for.  "Free speech", blah blah blah, just because you CAN say what you want, doesn't mean you SHOULD.  And if you're going to be like a spoiled-brat Hollywood celebrity or Axl Rose and talk shit all day then don't be surprised if people rebel against you.

2)  This will sound shallow but I know I won't be the only one who thinks this way.  A name is important to me and "Bad Salad" is just stupid and doesn't inspire me to want to even listen to them to give them a chance.  It's a name I'd expect from a 3-chord screaming punk band, not a talented prog outfit.

I remember last year some guy posting here (or at mp.com) about his band name, which was just AWFUL but I can't remember what it actually was.  He was asking opinions on it and the consensus was it was terrible and he was like "yeah, but it shouldn't matter cuz it's all about the music."  Well, duh, if it didn't matter just name your band "Noname", and call every album you make a number starting with "1" and then every song you make a number in the order they were made, ie. 1, 2, 3, etc.  So we can say "album 3 track 4 is my favourite."  Pretty lame.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
By the way, I always thought Thiago's band was called VRA until this thread. Did they change it, and if so, why to something like Bad Salad?  :huh:

His Cover band is Called VRA and this band is called Bad Salad, which is the band where they write original stuff
May The Force Be With You.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
The name Bad Salad doesn't bother me at all. I like whimsical band names.
And the Thiago Incident, eh, probably doesn't help, but also not much more than a humorous footnote.
All that stuff would be irrelevant and not even mentioned if the music had more impact.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Yeah, it had some cool stuff going on here and there, but as a whole, the album was pretty boring.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?

His Cover band is Called VRA and this band is called Bad Salad, which is the band where they write original stuff

I've wondered this for a while, but what does VRA stand for?
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.

It's a Portuguese word. Not exactly sure what it means but I was talking to him about that before and thats what he told me.

Offline EstyMaJ

Re: The Bad Salad Thread v. Debut Album Uncivilized due out July 24th 2012
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2012, 05:57:02 AM »
The name Bad Salad doesn't bother me at all. I like whimsical band names.
And the Thiago Incident, eh, probably doesn't help, but also not much more than a humorous footnote.
All that stuff would be irrelevant and not even mentioned if the music had more impact.

rumborak

yeah but now when there spoken about in there forum the bands name will be typed BS lol , anyway i only liked 1 song other than crowded sky it was Dawn Of The Machine But have little problem with the bit of JP ripoff licks .

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2012, 11:40:46 PM »
Just decided to play this album after being on a major Iron Maiden kick since the concert a few weeks ago, but I do start to see the JP similarities a bit more. It doesn't bother me too much. I still really enjoy this album. I think the highlight of the album for me are the melodies and vocals on the album. I really love Denis' voices. As a drummer I do really appreciate Caco's drumming as well. Still a solid album in my opinion! Say what you will about it being Dream Theater ripoff, but I really like their take on the style of music that both of the bands share.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2014, 09:00:08 PM »
Their newer "Puzzled" EP from a few months ago is a big step up from the debut.  Really good stuff .... But I still think the band name is a bit odd.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2014, 09:05:08 PM »

It's a Portuguese word. Not exactly sure what it means but I was talking to him about that before and thats what he told me.

No, not a Portuguese word (i'm brazilian), an acronym maybe?
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2014, 04:11:01 AM »
Their newer "Puzzled" EP from a few months ago is a big step up from the debut.  Really good stuff .... But I still think the band name is a bit odd.

No worse than "Porcupine Tree".

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2014, 08:05:23 AM »

Agreed.
They will also be playing at Progressive Nation at Sea which is awesome  :metal

Offline krands85

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2014, 08:53:29 AM »
I'm finding the opposite - Uncivilized is fantastic, but Puzzled hasn't really clicked with me.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww