Author Topic: The Bad Salad Thread v. Debut Album Uncivilized due out July 24th 2012  (Read 4856 times)

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
Not sure if this is an okay thing to talk about since the whole Thiago Campos DT vs I&W controversy but anyway they released a new song from the album that is due out next Tuesday. I've been following these guys ever since the original release of the first VRA Cover Thiago and his brother did! I really liked Crowded Sky and then Nemesis came out and loved it even more. The new one they released today was Mourning. It's a killer ballad and I like it quite a bit! You can take a listen to all their stuff here: https://www.reverbnation.com/badsalad

Don't hate me for bringing this up...
May The Force Be With You.

Offline Hayden

Whoops, sorry, I didn't notice this had popped up before bumping the existing year-old thread. Perhaps a merge is appropriate?

Not sure if this is an okay thing to talk about since the whole Thiago Campos DT vs I&W controversy[...]

I've been living in other parts of the internet for a little while. Is there a chance somebody could fill me in? Or perhaps give me an appropriate link to whatever it was I missed?

Never mind.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:27:35 AM by Hayden »

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Apart from the storm that Thiago unleashed with his Holier-than-thou attitude some months ago, what buggers me in Bad salad is that their singer is not good for that kind of music.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline krands85

Been looking forward to this album for ages. Been so impressed with these guys ever since I saw the Metropolis cover a few of them participated in.

Crowded Sky was a great shortish first track and I liked Nemesis even better - love the guitar solo  :metal

Wasn't expecting their ballad to be over 10 minutes long  :lol  But it sounds pretty good after my first listen. Contrary to others, I enjoy the vocals, especially on this new song.

Hope the rest of the album lives up to my expectations. And I also hope the whole Thiago/ADTOE saga doesn't affect people's opinions of the album or the band on here.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
Preordered the physical copy. Really looking forward to this  :metal

Offline Hayden

As for how I personally enjoy Bad Salad's songs (the one's they've released so far), I rank them as:

1. "Nemesis"
2. "Mourning"
3. "Crowded Sky"

"Nemesis" is kinda 'meh' throughout, with a few highlights scattered here and there. But the instrumental section at the end in just an absolute killer. The first 7 minutes of the song could've been an assortment of recorded farts, and the final 3 minutes of the track would still elevate it to the top of the list.

"Crowded Sky" is completely unmemorable to me, with the incredibly awkward-sounding backing vocals being the only thing that sticks in my head after listening. "Mourning" is a much better track in comparison, with fewer cringe-worthy moments than "Crowded Sky" (or even "Nemesis" for that matter). It was also more exciting than I expected it to be, what with that nice instrumental section in the middle to liven things up a bit. However, it still is a slightly underwhelming track with a few flaws here and there.

Apart from the storm that Thiago unleashed with his Holier-than-thou attitude some months ago, what buggers me in Bad salad is that their singer is not good for that kind of music.

B.Lee

The vocalist doesn't actually bother me, personally. The guy is super clean, and has a fairly decent range. But, I do understand that that extreme cleanliness does lead to some characterless vocals. But, even so, I think that where Bad Salad shines most is in the instrumental side of things. So, as long as the vocals are tolerable, and aren't necessarily bad, then I don't have any complaints.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 11:26:41 AM by Hayden »

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
I'll agree with you on the song ranking points there! And for me I've always absolutely loved Denis's vocals!

Edit: Holy crap. Mourning is really starting to click with me. Epic Track, vocals are a highlight for me in this one! Can't wait for Tuesday!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 01:53:05 AM by YtseCullen »

Offline Hayden

Okay, I just placed my order on CDBaby then. I can now properly join in the anticipation :) Here's to hoping the rest of the album is as good as expected.

Update: 30-second samples for all songs have finally been released. Of course, with such mammoth song lengths, the snippets give you a very limited idea of what the tracks will sound like as a whole, but they do add to the excitement. I'm really looking forward to hearing what "Damned" sounds like in its entirety; you can just tell that bass line is building to something epic.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 02:21:59 AM by Hayden »

I got a chuckle out of their name and bio. I think they're a solid band but they sound a bit too much like Dream Theater. If they just stopped using the exact same gear/tones as DT, that would help immensely.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
inb4thesecondalbumusesthesamesongstructuresasthefirst

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
I got a chuckle out of their name and bio. I think they're a solid band but they sound a bit too much like Dream Theater. If they just stopped using the exact same gear/tones as DT, that would help immensely.

It's just the guitar player that has the same tones as JP, but other than that the sound is pretty different with the band. The singer sounds different. The keyboardist plays different than JR and the drummer has a slightly different sound than MM or MP so I wouldn't say they sound to much like DT. It's just a lot of the guitar playing for me sounds the same.

Offline OsMosis2259

It's just the guitar player that has the same tones as JP, but other than that the sound is pretty different with the band. The singer sounds different. The keyboardist plays different than JR and the drummer has a slightly different sound than MM or MP so I wouldn't say they sound to much like DT. It's just a lot of the guitar playing for me sounds the same.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kqyY0TrqHE Here's a link to the song previews for those who want to take a listen  :metal

Offline olliemedsy

So, has anyone who pre-ordered it got their digital downloads email? I did, I'm listening to it now, sounds really good, but after listening to the Crowded Sky and Nemesis Demo's alot for about a year, I really like that production more. I fell the new albums' production is too clear for me, maybe it will grow, but the musics sounding awesome!

And as a drummer, it's awesome hearing the slight changes in drum parts he has come up with! :D

The keyboardist uses the snarling pig and an identical sounding choir patch to JR. But I do agree that the singer is unique.

Offline krands85

So, has anyone who pre-ordered it got their digital downloads email? I did, I'm listening to it now, sounds really good, but after listening to the Crowded Sky and Nemesis Demo's alot for about a year, I really like that production more. I fell the new albums' production is too clear for me, maybe it will grow, but the musics sounding awesome!

And as a drummer, it's awesome hearing the slight changes in drum parts he has come up with! :D
I couldn't pre-order because the site doesn't accept my card type  >:(

Judging from the samples, it's gonna be a little bit odd for a while getting used to the slight changes in Crowded Sky and Nemesis. Can always just go back to the original versions if I find them too weird though I guess  :D
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
pretty good, but still, it's almost too dream theater at times

Offline OsMosis2259

I ordered the physical copy but didn't do the digital download thing.

Hopefully it will arrive soon

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!

B.Lee
Couldn't agree more.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.

Wanna share the download link with me? I missed the boat on the download thing :(

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
GRR when is iTunes going to have this album up to download :( I wanna hear this!

Offline krands85

Just bought the digital version from CDBaby. You'd think a site selling MP3s would be able to provide a decent download speed  :facepalm:  Hovering around 100k/sec  >:( 

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
Downloaded this now! Sounds epic :)

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
I downloaded it from iTunes and I realized around the 4:31 mark of Damned the song skips to the next song for me. Kinda bummed  :(

Offline Hayden

I downloaded it from iTunes and I realized around the 4:31 mark of Damned the song skips to the next song for me. Kinda bummed  :(

The band has actually posted a Facebook update regarding this problem.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 09:53:18 AM by Hayden »

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
If I can get past Thiago's ego, than I might check it out because their covers are phenomenal and they seem like they'd be great
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.

The band has actually posted a Facebook update regarding this problem.

I talked to Thiago last night and he just emailed me the tracks I had that were buggered up. So alls good now. I'm actually typing this on my iPhone as I'm on a road trip today jamming to this album is so epic.

Anyone who holds Thiagos ego against the band is seriously missing out. All the other guys and Thiago are really awesome guys actually. So don't let that get in your way if your on the fence about these guys.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
If I can get past Thiago's ego, than I might check it out because their covers are phenomenal and they seem like they'd be great

its one of those "flavors of the month dream theater wannabe bands"

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
But he said he hates DT!  :laugh:
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline MetropolisWatches

• I&W/Awake/SFAM/6 Degrees
Aren't these the clowns who got the rumor started that ADTOE was nothing but a rehash of Images and Words?

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
That would be Thiago and he gleefully takes pride in the fact that MP singles him out and says good job
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Thiago kind of ruined ADTOE for me in a way, but I'll still check out the new album as I did like Crowded Sky.

Offline Hayden

I got the tracks sent to me today, after sending my order details to the e-mail address given in the last Facebook update. But, work and social obligations means I've only just gotten the chance to listen to them now (at midnight). Anyway, all I've got to say is that there is some quality prog here. "Crowded Sky" and "Nemesis" both sound better and more interesting than their respective demos (something that I didn't think I'd be saying about the latter), and the tracks that hadn't been released until now are also really enjoyable (currently up to "Sights from Within"). There's just an ongoing series of cool riffs and nice arrangements, and enough of a song-y nature to keep it all interesting. I'm sure it will improve further with multiple listens as well.

I really do take my hat off to the guys from Bad Salad. Others can claim they're just another Dream Theater clone that will fade into the crowd, given time. But I feel like they're a band who's actually stood out against that crowd, is establishing its own identity, and is proving to be one of the most promising prog bands of the new generation. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Listened to Nemesis and Crowded Sky. Didn't make it through Crowded Sky.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Hayden

Probably because "Crowded Sky" is essentially hookless and flavorless; I don't much care for it either. What did you think of "Nemesis", though?