Author Topic: John Petrucci: Strongman or Bod God?  (Read 8750 times)

Offline WheyWaffles

John Petrucci: Strongman or Bod God?
« on: July 18, 2012, 05:07:36 PM »
We all remember the John Petrucci of yesteryear (or century): skinny, maybe downright scrawny.  I was just watching the Live at Budokan Blu-ray last night and it appeared his biceps had just begun growing in size.  Since that time, he's gotten downright massive.

However, John is by all accounts a humble man, and he doesn't seem to enjoy showing off his physique.  One of the early DVDs, I forget which, features a skinny shirtless Petrucci, but I'm not aware of him going shirtless post-transformation/apotheosis.  This has left questions in the minds of many, and I'd like to see what the community here suspects is beneath the hood.  Maybe someone even knows of more recent pictures that would provide us with incontrovertible evidence of the build of the man.  If so, please share them.

Now for the question posed in the subject:

What kind of physique do you think Petrucci is packing?

Do you suspect he's a strongman, or more of a bodybuilder type?  Do you think he trains primarily for strength and doesn't mind if he has a little extra fat around the waist, or do you think he looks like a muscle magazine model underneath with body fat in the single digits?

The case for the strongman:
-He doesn't care to show off his body
-He's stated in the past that he just wanted to get stronger
-He doesn't shy away from eating junk food, as evidenced by the gigantic hunk of red meat between two buns that he devoured with Trivium frontman Matt Heafy in a restaurant in Texas
-He leaves his body hair in tact
-His face carries a healthy amount of fat

The case for the bodybuilder:
-He wouldn't care to show off his body anyway because he just isn't that type of dude (see Kane Roberts for that type of dude)
-When John Petrucci gets into something, he goes all out
-Tight shirts
-Can't think of anymore

Personally, I think the evidence favors a strongman physique, but I bring the question before you so that we can hopefully reach a community consensus.

So what is it?  Big-bellied bear who could still rip you to shreds without breaking a sweat, or lean liger who could leap circles around you before laying a claw into your protein-rich flesh?

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
Re: John Petrucci: Strongman or Bod God?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 05:57:05 PM »
/nohomo - ok now that thast out of the way:

If you look at pictures an what not, he seems to be pretty slim other than his upper body. some pictures even show his shirt outlining his pecs. and his biceps are stretching his sleeves out. So hes not a Strong man. atleast IMO hes not. hes slim aside from his upper body. Strong man to me shows that your huge all around. But i also dont think hes got a bodybuilder physique. just simply not big enough. you would also see that in his arms more when he plays. they would be more defined.

So i would say hes more just built than strongman or bodybuilder.

.. I had more fun with that then the normal heterosexual should've had.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 05:59:29 PM »
Strongman. He's big but not cut from what I've seen.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 06:01:32 PM »
My contribution to this discussion would reveal more than I'm comfortable revealing regarding my thoughts on certain. Uhm. Men. And stuff.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 06:05:11 PM »
My contribution to this discussion would reveal more than I'm comfortable revealing regarding my thoughts on certain. Uhm. Men. And stuff.

Honey, you just revealed more than you ment too in that statement right there. mind aswell just spill it.  :)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 08:56:15 PM »
I think the evidence points to him being a strongman. It would be tough to argue otherwise.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 09:26:02 PM »
I always wondered whether he isn't worried about his hands when lifting those things.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 09:52:57 PM »
He maintains his daily intake of small mammals. Keeps those hands tough.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 09:59:42 PM »
he is definitely going for strength and size as opposed to the perfect chiseld body like a body builder. 

I always wondered whether he isn't worried about his hands when lifting those things.

rumborak

Even though there is a lot of risk involved in the sport, done correctly it's perfectly safe and your hands are one of the least likely body parts to get injured.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 02:36:13 AM »
I've always considered him to be just a guy who's trying to get healthier and, like many guys, takes bulking up as being healthy (as opposed to trimming down).

He looks good, though. As does MM. And James and Jordan look better as well, I think. Dream Theater circa SFAM->ToT kinda started to look like four burgeoning hobbits and Gandalf the Wizard up on stage.

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 04:29:58 AM »
He has more of the strongman look. To be a bodybuilder he must "cut" alot of fat. Probably 30 pounds or more....

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 10:28:10 AM »

rumborak

I remember in an interview, he mentioned that he would wear gloves in the gym and all the lifting straps when performing squats and deadlifts.

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 07:33:45 AM »
You pretty much have to wear gloves once you get to a certain point (doesn't take long), unless perhaps you have the callused hands of a construction worker or carpenter from the beginning.  Squats especially will destroy your palms.

Regarding the idea that John isn't big enough to be one or the other, remember that he's still a work in progress.  It's rare when someone enthusiastic about working out who gets hooked on the results gets to a point where they say "this is good enough, I'll just maintain this size forever," and John doesn't seem to have stopped growing.

Anyway, I think we've reached consensus.

John Petrucci: Strongman.  He can pull a compact automobile with just a rope gripped by his teeth.  He can eat big fucking burgers.  What else really matters?

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 08:27:23 AM »
When I did the M&G a year or so ago I stated to him that every time I see him his guns get bigger and bigger.  He just smiled and said "Yeah...I've been lifting things"   :lol

Offline FallTempest

• Canadian bacon.
This is a nice place

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 12:37:35 PM »

Offline FallTempest

• Canadian bacon.
This is a nice place

Offline Rkeister

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 06:28:11 AM »
i asked him what his one rep max bench was, he said he doesn't try anything risky because he lifts alone.

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 02:01:43 PM »
i asked him what his one rep max bench was, he said he doesn't try anything risky because he lifts alone.

That explains his slow-but-steady progress: low resistance, high reps.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2017, 08:46:45 AM »
Its 2017 so did JP got bigger since 2012?

I think he stop bulking up since 2013.

I don't think he is roiding up or I will call him Randy Roids! :l  ;D
And she listens openly

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2017, 10:35:35 PM »
I agree with you--I think he plateau'd out some time ago and I also think he's all natural.

He needs to unleash his sexy like Timmy Capello: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpuwcINDHnQ

« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 10:45:59 PM by WheyWaffles »

Offline robin5749

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2017, 10:26:58 AM »
I thought he looked great on score with his pop star look.
my kids find him difficult with his look now.
but he is such a nice bloke he can come round for dinner anytime.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2017, 01:35:40 PM »
This is a fantastic thread.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2017, 04:23:00 PM »

Yeah, me too.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol