Poll

do you like sytematic chaos?

yes
no
meh / its ok

Author Topic: do you like systematic chaos?  (Read 8288 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: do you like systematic chaos?
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2012, 01:49:50 PM »
lol once again I don't think the lyrics to any of the BCSL songs are better, so no need to use them to defend SCs.

And if you like them, awesome. More power to you, but they're still not very imaginative. A story about a vampire seducing someone in a world populated by Twilight fans is the very definition of unimaginative.
Okay, let me clarify. What I meant was that they tap into the imagination better. They convey much more interesting imagery and really take you away into another world.

And even lyrics aside, I'd say SC is musically superior to BCSL in every way. BCSL had a couple of hilights, being the intro and the outro of TBOT, the first and last part of TCOT and the entirety of The Shattered Fortress. Everything else sounded a little bland to me.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2012, 02:03:15 PM »
Forsaken, especially the chorus, might be the very definition of bland.

And nothing on BC&SL, not even the background tough guy vocals in the first verse of A Rite of Passage, is as bad as "FOREVER MORE INTO THE NIGHT BLISTERING."

BC&SL's biggest flaw is that almost every song has a part or two that could have been changed or omitted to make each song that much better, but SC's flaws are much more glaring and not as easily fixable.

« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2012, 02:06:33 PM »
Forsaken, especially the chorus, might be the very definition of bland.

And nothing on BC&SL, not even the background tough guy vocals in the first verse of A Rite of Passage, is as bad as "FOREVER MORE INTO THE NIGHT BLISTERING."

BC&SL's biggest flaw is that almost every song has a part or two that could have been changed or omitted to make each song that much better, but SC's flaws are much more glaring and not as easily fixable.

The only major flaw SC has is the confession voice overs during the second half of Repentance, which I think drag on a little too long. Aside from that, the entire thing is a beautiful musical journey. There are some phrasing issues on Constant Motion and Dark Eternal Night, but musically, every song is still very interesting, and either has great riffs, great melodies, or both.

Needless to say, I completely disagree.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2012, 04:35:57 PM »
Yes, it's not as bad as some people think.  Middle of the road for me but better than just ok....
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Shattered Glass

« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2012, 10:15:59 PM »
its kind of hit and miss, but I like its hitiness/missiness nature ...

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2012, 10:19:23 PM »
I like it more than I used to. It's #8 on my list, but it has a lot of great moments. ITPOE is really great, same with TDEN and Repentance, don't even get me started. It's among the best 11 minutes the band has ever written.

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2012, 11:28:56 PM »
The chorus in Prophets of War.  It's just very bad.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2012, 02:17:59 AM »
It's strange to me. I loved SC until BC&SL came out. Then I loved BC&SL until ADTOE came out. Of all the Roadrunner releases, ADTOE is the only one I find myself going to again and again and finding no fault. I think the thing that bothers me about SC is mostly the lyrical content. It all seems contrived and directionless. There are some good parts to the album, but overall it's pretty weak.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2012, 08:48:57 AM »
It's strange to me. I loved SC until BC&SL came out.

It's strange indeed. I remember the very first time I heard BC&SL. I was like: WOW. That could be my top 5 DT album or maybe even top 3. This is the feeling you get when your favourite band releases new stuff. Unfortunately I don't even like this album, same with SC.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2012, 08:52:41 AM »
When I first heard SC, I was like, "FUCK yeah!"
When I first heard BCSL, I have to admit, right away, I wasn't too impressed with the musical direction. I was still relatively new to DT, and I tried so very hard to love it, and told myself that the only reason I wasn't feeling it was because it was new, and I haven't gotten used to it yet. But that's not true. When I heard Images & Words, Train of Thought, etc. subsequently, I instantly fell in love with them.
But I still love SC.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2012, 09:26:02 AM »
It's okay. ItPoE (full) is an amazing song, but the rest fall short. I hate Repentance, and the other songs aren't much better. The Ministry of Souls is probably the 2nd best song on SC.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2012, 04:15:11 PM »
The chorus in Prophets of War.  It's just very bad.

that riff is all kinds of great though.