Author Topic: P/R side chat thread, v. I am not a number I am a free man  (Read 219877 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: P/R side chat thread, v. I am not a number I am a free man
« Reply #2485 on: May 05, 2021, 01:23:50 PM »
Technically we didn't start a thread.. We started a discussion in an existing thread...

We also didn't start the fire.  It was always burning since the world's been turning.  Didn't light it, just tried to fight it.
If I can do it, it's idiot proof..
I'll do my best, but this? The guy's getting Llamathrust.
Happy is the dog that stops and licks his balls.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #2486 on: May 05, 2021, 01:25:33 PM »
I'll see your quote and raise you a:

Users who violate the rules will be warned at most three times before action is taken against them. The actions taken are largely at the moderators' discretion and will be scaled with the severity of the infraction. If you have a question about a rule or the punishment you received for breaking a rule, PM or e-mail a moderator. Please don't start threads about individual cases of moderation.

It isn't up for discussion.

Well you broke your own rule then, when you posted, for all to see, your thoughts on your disciplining of Dave.  That is part of the problem Bosk.  There was no reason for that.  Just to get in the last word, with some insults, in a locked thread.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #2487 on: May 05, 2021, 01:29:37 PM »
I didn't want to create a whole new thread for this but I saw it today and found it interesting and kind of funny, actually  :lol   

https://www.polarizationlab.com/troll-o-meter

The Troll-o-meter thing is...I don't know, at first I was kind of  :\  but now I'm  :lol

The language chart is interesting, though, and spot on I think.

I'm not sure I would agree, though, and I don't say that to be contrarian.  I took the poll, and other than the "Political language in bio" every answer moved me further toward being a troll.  I ended up at 65%.  But so would most people here.    And as for the words, well, I don't use most of them (on both sides of the ledger) but some I do, frequently.  The devil is in the details, though; I often talk of "normalization" and I use "deplorable" a LOT to make a very specific point, not as a descriptor.

I think any attempt to try to objectify that which is subjective at heart is a recipe for more divisiveness, and more disaster.  "Disagreeing" is too often mistaken for "trolling" (remember, when I was posting frequently on Quora, I could expect to be dismissed as "bot" almost on a weekly basis.  Some people - both sides - are simply INCAPABLE of having a discussion that is fundamentally at odds with their world view.)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
    • Overhaul
« Reply #2488 on: May 05, 2021, 01:33:13 PM »
wtf happened now

Go to the mask thread in GD, last page or so.

That thread was a cluster-fucked train-wreck right from the start and should never have gotten the chance to be derailed in the way it had.

That said, I can't help but feel banning Dave over that last post in said thread is an overreaction.

Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2489 on: May 05, 2021, 01:38:08 PM »

Users who violate the rules will be warned at most three times before action is taken against them. The actions taken are largely at the moderators' discretion and will be scaled with the severity of the infraction. If you have a question about a rule or the punishment you received for breaking a rule, PM or e-mail a moderator. Please don't start threads about individual cases of moderation.

Well you broke your own rule then, when you posted, for all to see, your thoughts on your disciplining of Dave.  That is part of the problem Bosk.  There was no reason for that.  Just to get in the last word, with some insults, in a locked thread.

I'm not going to debate the forum rules with you.  You have been here long enough to know what they are, how they are applied, and that application of them in individual situations is not and has never been open to public discussion.  Period.  It isn't open for discussion, and I would warn anyone that wants to remain here that they should heed that warning. 

And for anyone who does not know the context of what Eric quoted out of context, I suggest reading the thread in question.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #2490 on: May 05, 2021, 02:34:48 PM »
Well I

I'm not going to debate the forum rules with you.  You have been here long enough to know what they are, how they are applied, and that application of them in individual situations is not and has never been open to public discussion.  Period.  It isn't open for discussion, and I would warn anyone that wants to remain here that they should heed that warning. 

And for anyone who does not know the context of what Eric quoted out of context, I suggest reading the thread in question.

Well I am certainly not here to debate anything with you...just expressing my thoughts.  Debate requires an even playing field which this is not.  Not saying there is anything wrong with that, just saying my posts were not an attempt to start a debate with you.

I am interested in what I quoted "out of context" though.  I quoted your entire post in a discussion about, well, your post.  If you want to elaborate on how I may have quoted you out of context, I am open to look at that in as honest a way as I can.  FWIW, I don't think that is what you are interested in doing, and that is cool with me too. 

I simply disagreed with some of the things said from BOTH parties.  If you think this post is inappropriate, feel free to delete it.  I just feel that a polite and respectful response was warranted to the claim I posted something out of context.

I guess there isn't anything else I can, (or should LOL) say on the subject.  So, Peace, I'm out.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #2491 on: May 05, 2021, 02:55:01 PM »
I suggest reading the thread in question.

For the sanity of anyone who has not, please do not read the thread in question  :lol

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2492 on: May 05, 2021, 02:55:51 PM »

For the sanity of anyone who has not, please do not read the thread in question  :lol

Exactly what the CIA wants….
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2493 on: May 05, 2021, 02:58:01 PM »

Well, I can't disagree with that at all.  :lol  That thread was so off the rails.  I had abandoned it awhile ago, figuring you guys were doing a decent enough job of putting his conspiracy theories in their place that there was no need to monitor.  This morning, I checked it after seeing that someone reported it, and just...wow. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online kingshmegland

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2494 on: May 05, 2021, 02:59:48 PM »
Sorry.  Guilty as charged.  :lol
“I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2495 on: May 05, 2021, 03:22:55 PM »
So I'm just going to say that I've been here 13-someodd years, and I honestly have no clue how the rules are applied. I gave up trying to figure it out ages ago. People PM me and ask what they need to do, and I tell them to cross their fingers and hope for the best. That's really the only advice I can give. Case in point, every single act of moderation that ever happens on this forum gets discussed publicly. You can't ban somebody and not have some commentary pop up.  It's just the way things go. Insofar as PR goes, somebody gets the axe, four or five posters express an opinion, Bosk provides further explanation and tells people to take it to PM henceforth, and that's generally the end of it. We all move on. Honestly, I think that works well for everybody, including Bosk, but I don't make the rules. He does. Today that wasn't the case, though. Beats me as to why. Like I said, I don't have a clue how things work.

To be clear, I'm not commenting on the Dave situation here. I don't really have a problem with it (though I'm disappointed) and I've already expressed my opinion on it. I'm just pointing out that if I don't know the rules, I'm not sure how Eric, or anybody else honestly, could be expected to. They simply move around too much.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 03:34:15 PM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2496 on: May 05, 2021, 05:12:18 PM »
Well, if anyone has a problem I would suggest PM'ing Bosk rather than posting on a thread about it.

I have no idea if people report me or not, but I have not received any complaints or PM's about anything that may be offensive with what I post.

Rather than, airing laundry on a thread. Why not, you know, take it to the PM's. And if that gets heated, then report it.

I thought that thread was getting interesting and honestly, Darkshade has that right to post this stuff. I would've too, but I know posters here would've been all over that. Even though I think it's good discussion, at times. The way Darkshade was about it though, is why I stayed out of that thread after I posted my OPINIONS. And why, I have not touched the Corona thread much, because I know I can't change peoples opinions and perspectives about certain topics and I am not trying to, I post because It's interesting to see the many different perspectives we have on issues and many things.

I am actually glad we have a forum that is decent and we'll moderated to have these types of conversations. And that it's rare when a thread gets locked for these types of reasons that, that one did.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

"We can't rewrite history. We can learn our own history, and share it with other people. While, we learn, from them, their history." -Me,Myself,I

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
« Reply #2497 on: May 05, 2021, 05:31:53 PM »
I tend more to ignore people than report them tbh

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #2498 on: May 05, 2021, 05:35:29 PM »
I think it's part of the presentation of your views/opinions.  While I don't agree with most of your views, Ben, on covid.  You post in a way that is respectful and offers a different view albeit sometimes I don't understand.  Keyword is respectful.  I don't think I've ever been warned on this site and honestly couldn't recall all the rules here, but like most things in life I just try to be respectful.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2499 on: May 06, 2021, 05:02:49 AM »
I tend more to ignore people than report them tbh

Same.

And I fully concur with Barto (again).  There's often a measure of inconsistency in how some rules are applied (or not) - who they're applied to, when, to what extent, and why.  I've seen it all.  Several posters have left (and many never returned) because of it.

I'm also a little curious as to what rule(s) was edited/added/modified last summer?  Shouldn't the community be notified when that happens?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2500 on: May 06, 2021, 08:42:26 AM »
As the one who originally locked that thread, I will just say that most of my posting is done from work, and even then only if I have time.  I had been away from the forum for a day or two, saw that Adami had reported it, looked at what had happened in the thread since the last time I saw it, and locked it.

I will also say that, in general, I am probably more lax and lenient in what I would allow to be posted than some other mods might be.  I recognize that this can be problematic for fairness in applying the rules at times, but a lot of rules are subject to some amount of interpretation, and it makes sense that some mods will have different thresholds for different occurrences. 

Dave's posting was definitely passive/aggressive and out of line, but maybe if I had locked the thread earlier, it wouldn't have come to that.  So that's on me, which sucks.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2501 on: May 06, 2021, 09:04:16 AM »
As the one who originally locked that thread, I will just say that most of my posting is done from work, and even then only if I have time.  I had been away from the forum for a day or two, saw that Adami had reported it, looked at what had happened in the thread since the last time I saw it, and locked it.

I will also say that, in general, I am probably more lax and lenient in what I would allow to be posted than some other mods might be.  I recognize that this can be problematic for fairness in applying the rules at times, but a lot of rules are subject to some amount of interpretation, and it makes sense that some mods will have different thresholds for different occurrences. 

Dave's posting was definitely passive/aggressive and out of line, but maybe if I had locked the thread earlier, it wouldn't have come to that.  So that's on me, which sucks.

I actually don't envy any of the mods, and actually respect them, because it's not easy, and you guys are doing it voluntarily, and that alone says a lot to me about how you mods are.

People are only human, and not everyone has time to post on forums.

I actually think, it would've been better to have moved that thread to the P/R section, but then Darkshade wouldn't be able to post because he doesn't want to join the P/R thread.

So, if he wants to talk about these things, I would suggest to him to join the P/R threads, because of exactly what happened in that thread that was in General Discussion. It was straight up a controversial thread that easily treaded onto P/R territory, and that alone caused one member to expose this, albeit in a passive way, but he was right.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

"We can't rewrite history. We can learn our own history, and share it with other people. While, we learn, from them, their history." -Me,Myself,I

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2502 on: May 06, 2021, 09:49:33 AM »

I actually don't envy any of the mods, and actually respect them, because it's not easy, and you guys are doing it voluntarily, and that alone says a lot to me about how you mods are.

Kiss ass.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2503 on: May 06, 2021, 12:37:47 PM »

Kiss ass.

:lol :lol

Well, it's not.

And I'm not stupid enough to be posting in a way that's critical about the person. I try my best not to be that way in discussions.

Actually, I very well could, but I like it here enough to not want to be banned. Or reported.

It's not that hard to understand the rules we have that allows us to have these discussions.

I mean, it's why MP shut down his forum...He got tired of Moderating, felt it wasn't worth it and nuked it all.

I'm just showing why i see what happened and occured, as something that could've been avoided by both mods and posters. That is all.

I am not kissing ass if I want to show and say, I do not envy and respect the duties these mods do, so we as posters can have a nice forum to discuss things. And I find it amazing how a simple forum about a band, became a community. This place actually has a history, and i find that fascinating and cool.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2504 on: May 06, 2021, 12:46:00 PM »
When did MP ever moderate his forum? News to me. Two people took over modding when Wey's reign of terror ended, and they took a decidedly hands off approach. He shut the forum down because his FB was bigger, and it was easier to remove posts that weren't entirely flattering. Moreover, the reality was that it wasn't really much about him anymore. It was more just a community of people who'd been there for a long time. Kind of like this place.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2505 on: May 06, 2021, 12:54:21 PM »
When did MP ever moderate his forum? News to me. Two people took over modding when Wey's reign of terror ended, and they took a decidedly hands off approach. He shut the forum down because his FB was bigger, and it was easier to remove posts that weren't entirely flattering. Moreover, the reality was that it wasn't really much about him anymore. It was more just a community of people who'd been there for a long time. Kind of like this place.

This is me precisely.  I don't remember the last time I ventured into the DT side, or discussed anything about DT... and there certainly hasn't been a steady influx of new DTF fans joining the community over the last 5 or so years - I guess niche-topic message boards just don't have the appeal they once did.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2506 on: May 06, 2021, 01:48:18 PM »
When did MP ever moderate his forum?
I can answer that one.

Never.  That's when.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2507 on: May 28, 2021, 02:31:46 PM »
For the legal minded folk... Texas has a law running through its gates right now that make it mandatory to play the national anthem at sporting events, and includes penalties for not doing so. Isn't this a blatant violation of the 1st Amendment?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2508 on: May 28, 2021, 04:47:02 PM »
For the legal minded folk... Texas has a law running through its gates right now that make it mandatory to play the national anthem at sporting events, and includes penalties for not doing so. Isn't this a blatant violation of the 1st Amendment?
I don't know if I qualify or not, but I'll take a stab at it. I think it depends on who objects. If the venue/team/promoter objects, they've got a damn good case; bordering on slam dunk. They won't, though. My hunch is that venues/teams/promoters would just as soon have a mandate; any mandate. "This is the government's doing, I have no control over it" is a get out of jail free card when it comes to public uproar. A prohibition on playing the anthem would serve the same purpose.

Fans will object, and they've got a much bigger problem. As far as I know, the First doesn't protect people from hearing something they don't like. It's there to protect the speaker. In this case the venue/promoter/team, etc. If I had to make an argument against the law, it would be that there are certain expected behaviors that accompany the anthem to demonstrate respect. While there's no legal obligation to abide them, being surrounded by tens of thousands of beer drinking yahoos creates a significant compulsion to do those things. Being forced to take of your cap, put your hand on your heart, jerk off while fantasizing about the statue of liberty, shedding a single tear when they roll out the 2 acre flag, and all the other jingoistic bullshit, is very definitely a violation of my rights. I doubt a court would see it that way, but I think it is a valid concern.
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2509 on: May 28, 2021, 05:01:27 PM »
I was mainly referring to the team objecting, specifically Cuban and the Mavs, since I'd gather this is in retaliation to when they took a hiatus from playing it. And I can see Cuban being the type that'd like to stick it to Abbott for no other reason than fuck you. Be interesting to see how it plays out, we all know Cuban's pockets are deep af, and he's enough of a narcissist to take this all the way to the top.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2510 on: May 28, 2021, 05:42:25 PM »
I was mainly referring to the team objecting, specifically Cuban and the Mavs, since I'd gather this is in retaliation to when they took a hiatus from playing it. And I can see Cuban being the type that'd like to stick it to Abbott for no other reason than fuck you. Be interesting to see how it plays out, we all know Cuban's pockets are deep af, and he's enough of a narcissist to take this all the way to the top.
I hadn't considered Cuban, but you might be on to something. The NBA is actually in an interesting position because the people who will get butthurt over not playing it are already boycotting basketball anyway. If he does decide to put up a fight my money would be on him all the way. However, it's simpler than that. The smart move would simply be to just play the silly thing 2 hours before tip-off. It doesn't say that there have to be fans present. Only that it has to be played at the beginning of the event, which is kind of vague. NBA staff will tell you it begins the morning of the game. The players would probably say when warmups begin, about 2 hours out. If the state wants to be more specific than that they can work it into the next bill two years from now, during the next legislative session.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2511 on: May 28, 2021, 06:11:07 PM »
Or just load it up on someone's iPhone.  Is there a certain db rating that it has to be played at?

Look, I got no problem with this ritual - I mean, when else does anyone hear the anthem(s) nowadays?  Is it played in schools anymore (it was up here when I was in grade school, but I don't know anymore - jingle.kids are three years removed from that).  However, mandate by law is pretty fucking stupid.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2512 on: May 28, 2021, 06:21:03 PM »
I could give two fucks about the ritual either, though I will admit the occasional full football stadium rendition with the flyover can be rousing. My problem lies in the government making a law that it has to be played. For a party that makes masks a sign of oppressing freedom, they're really fucking selective about the definition of what freedom actually is.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2513 on: May 28, 2021, 06:25:17 PM »
Or just load it up on someone's iPhone.  Is there a certain db rating that it has to be played at?

Look, I got no problem with this ritual - I mean, when else does anyone hear the anthem(s) nowadays?  Is it played in schools anymore (it was up here when I was in grade school, but I don't know anymore - jingle.kids are three years removed from that).  However, mandate by law is pretty fucking stupid.
Hey, I like that even better. Three minutes before Tip-off Cuban can go to the front of his suite, dramatically hold his phone up in the air, and let it trickle out from little tinny speakers. Problem solved.
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2514 on: May 28, 2021, 06:29:31 PM »

Hey, I like that even better. Three minutes before Tip-off Cuban can go to the front of his suite, dramatically hold his phone up in the air, and let it trickle out from little tinny speakers. Problem solved.

And a shitty, low res recording of it to boot  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2515 on: May 29, 2021, 09:21:13 AM »
I could give two fucks about the ritual either, though I will admit the occasional full football stadium rendition with the flyover can be rousing. My problem lies in the government making a law that it has to be played. For a party that makes masks a sign of oppressing freedom, they're really fucking selective about the definition of what freedom actually is.

<Insert standard Stadler reminder that it's not just ONE party that has confusing definitions of freedom.  I can kill an unborn baby (if I'm a woman) with no notice, no waiting period, no anything other than "desire", but I have to jump through a maze of hoops to own a gun, and god forbid I hold thought or voice ideas that don't comport with that Party's accepted version of tolerance. Or better yet, when my candidate loses to a dickhead, it's perfectly acceptable to question the integrity of the election, but when my candidate wins and the dickhead's supporters do the same, they are "deranged", "unhinged" and "treasonous".  Not trying to start a debate, just papering the record, your honor.> 

This isn't really a "party" action; I think Lonestar is right that this is personal.

As for the issue at hand, I'm of the opinion that El Barto largely has it right.  The responsible party at the arena would have standing to object, since the GOVERNMENT is (presumably) infringing on their right NOT to play the song.  The difficultly here will be showing harm.  They can fill the Jumbotron with counter programming the entire duration of the song, if need be, or for the rest of the game.  The fans, buy ear plugs, or time your entry to the tipoff, because you're out of luck.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kip Rolled
« Reply #2516 on: May 29, 2021, 09:45:34 AM »
I think the tradition of the anthems at games is fine. And if that's what the NHL or NBA wants to do, great. Then all teams should follow suit. But for the government to mandate it? That's fucking crazy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2517 on: May 29, 2021, 09:52:12 AM »

<Insert standard Stadler reminder that it's not just ONE party that has confusing definitions of freedom.  I can kill an unborn baby (if I'm a woman) with no notice, no waiting period, no anything other than "desire", but I have to jump through a maze of hoops to own a gun, and god forbid I hold thought or voice ideas that don't comport with that Party's accepted version of tolerance. Or better yet, when my candidate loses to a dickhead, it's perfectly acceptable to question the integrity of the election, but when my candidate wins and the dickhead's supporters do the same, they are "deranged", "unhinged" and "treasonous".  Not trying to start a debate, just papering the record, your honor.> 

This isn't really a "party" action; I think Lonestar is right that this is personal.

As for the issue at hand, I'm of the opinion that El Barto largely has it right.  The responsible party at the arena would have standing to object, since the GOVERNMENT is (presumably) infringing on their right NOT to play the song.  The difficultly here will be showing harm.  They can fill the Jumbotron with counter programming the entire duration of the song, if need be, or for the rest of the game.  The fans, buy ear plugs, or time your entry to the tipoff, because you're out of luck.

Your disclaimer  :lol

I was trying to keep it non-partisan, but in the end I just can't help myself  :rollin

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2518 on: May 29, 2021, 09:55:09 AM »
I think Lonestar is right

Also sig'd  ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2519 on: May 29, 2021, 10:20:02 AM »

Your disclaimer  :lol

I was trying to keep it non-partisan, but in the end I just can't help myself  :rollin

All in good spirits and good fun, and I appreciate you taking it that way.  I got your main point and agree with it.