Author Topic: P/R side chat thread, v. I am not a number I am a free man  (Read 212620 times)

Offline emtee

Re: P/R side chat thread, v. I am not a number I am a free man
« Reply #2450 on: May 04, 2021, 08:04:55 AM »
Interesting. Trump has been totally off my radar. What is worrisome to me is the number of people in this country that still believe the big lie. There will be a reckoning at some point but I'm not sure what it will look like. Maybe an up-and-comer like DeSantis will have the balls to knock Trump down a few pegs and take front runner status.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #2451 on: May 04, 2021, 08:30:11 AM »
there is no meaningful difference between Joe Biden and a moderate Republican, not on an ideological level

You seem to say that as if "Joe Biden" = "moderate Republican" = "known pedophile moving into the neighborhood".   

You're a self-described communist/anarchist, and while there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, it does need to be taken into account when looking at perspective: I think in the eyes of many, that was EXACTLY what he was selling, and it's what won the election.   Bernie would have lost to Trump, I would bet my DT collection on that.  I know for me (not that I'm an arbiter of anything special), the reason I would have voted for Biden was exactly that; we didn't need more extremes - relative extremes, American extremes (what is "liberal" in Germany doesn't matter even one little bit when it comes to an American national election).  We needed someone in the middle-ish, from whom a majority - not a plurality - of Americans could take something, and only the most extreme on either side would have issue.  I ultimately didn't vote for Biden because while I trusted HIM, I didn't trust the rest of the Democratic machine to not make him a veritable Trojan Horse.  I've been wrong about that, at least so far.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 08:42:26 AM by Stadler »

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #2452 on: May 04, 2021, 08:35:21 AM »
Interesting. Trump has been totally off my radar. What is worrisome to me is the number of people in this country that still believe the big lie. There will be a reckoning at some point but I'm not sure what it will look like. Maybe an up-and-comer like DeSantis will have the balls to knock Trump down a few pegs and take front runner status.
DeSantis is trying, he's one of the few remaining hopes for a sensible Republican future I mentioned (and therefore Trump has sicced his hounds on him, as he has with "communist traitors" Liz Cheney and Mitt Romney), but the danger is that while the GOP hierarchs continue to abandon them and instead pledge their fealty to Trump out of self-serving cowardice, the party is going to continue haemorrhaging talent in favour of this bizarre idiocracy they seem hellbent on creating within their party. Who would have thought even 4 years ago that Paul Ryan and Mitt Romney would be considered enemies of conservative America whereas Josh Hawley and Majorie Taylor Greene are its future?   

The self-fulfilling prophecy of Lindsay Graham in May 2016 cannot be repeated enough: "If we nominate Trump, we will get destroyed ... and we will deserve it"

https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/727604522156228608
"As democracy is perfected, the office of President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their hearts' desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron" - H.L.Mencken, 26th July 1920.

"China has total respect for Donald Trump and for Donald Trump's very very large brain" - American President Donald Trump, 26th September 2018.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2453 on: May 04, 2021, 08:39:41 AM »

I was going to reply to Dave's last post, but this is a better one since it foreshadows what I was going to say, and that is, let's let an election cycle go by before we cast final judgement.  I think it's a misleading time, and just like you don't judge a system during startup - only equilibrium - so here.   We have "silence" for two reasons:  one, the trope that everyone has to speak out about everything is poor standard to follow, and two, despite all the bad things one can (and in my case, did) say about Mitch McConnell, he's not stupid, either generally or as a politician.  ANY leader worth their salt will tell you, in a moment of crisis, you do not make any decisions before you absolutely have to, because data is changing sometimes minute by minute.  There's no political NEED to speak out now; the only "need" would be to slake the Democrat thirst for vengeance, and why would they feed that?  You don't need to be beholden to Trump to not want to give ammunition to the opposition.  That's just stupid. 

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #2454 on: May 04, 2021, 08:43:20 AM »
there is no meaningful difference between Joe Biden and a moderate Republican, not on an ideological level

You seem to say that as if "Joe Biden" = "moderate Republican" = "known pedophile moving into the neighborhood".   
There's absolutely nothing in any of my posts to suggest that. The entire focus of my posts has been on "intelligent", "clever" and "talented" moderate Republicans, how on earth have you drawn that inference? It's nowhere close to anything I believe. I've been a consistent supporter and defender of moderate Republicans like Ryan and Romney, and it is indicative of the cowardice and intellectual bankruptcy of the American right that it's a fucking British communist who is standing up for them while the GOP hierarchs sit by and let them be purged by a demagogic moron.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 10:25:33 AM by Dave_Manchester »
"As democracy is perfected, the office of President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their hearts' desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron" - H.L.Mencken, 26th July 1920.

"China has total respect for Donald Trump and for Donald Trump's very very large brain" - American President Donald Trump, 26th September 2018.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #2455 on: May 04, 2021, 08:50:17 AM »

ANY leader worth their salt will tell you, in a moment of crisis, you do not make any decisions before you absolutely have to, because data is changing sometimes minute by minute.  There's no political NEED to speak out now
When the party is losing actual talent left, right and centre and the message being sent to new Republican blood is "If you dare oppose our new Jesus you will be attacked" I'd say the time has come to speak out. An environment is being created where it is actively dangerous (in terms of career prospects) to oppose Donald Trump's lies. Look at what he and his family are doing to Liz Cheney right now, the abuse she's taking for merely speaking the truth is insane. Flake gave up and left, Ryan gave up and left, Romney is on the verge of giving up and leaving, how many more have to go and be replaced by idiocrats before we can agree the time has come to speak out?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Inglourious Basstard
« Reply #2456 on: May 04, 2021, 08:52:24 AM »
Just saw this on from Kevin D Williamson.

https://www.nationalreview.com/the-tuesday/what-the-republican-party-needs-vs-what-it-wants/

Some very wise political insiders in Texas advised Wood to tamp down the anti-Trump rhetoric, on the theory that while the GOP may be — may be — ready for post-Trump leadership, it is not ready for anti-Trump leadership.

Wood is far from “clueless” about the Republican demand for “loyalty to Trump” — he is keenly aware of what Republican voters think and feel, but he believes that these thoughts and feelings are grounded in falsehood and paranoia that ultimately will destroy the Republican Party and do great damage to the country itself. And, to the detriment of his electoral prospects, he says so.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #2457 on: May 04, 2021, 09:00:05 AM »

https://www.nationalreview.com/the-tuesday/what-the-republican-party-needs-vs-what-it-wants/

Some very wise political insiders in Texas advised Wood to tamp down the anti-Trump rhetoric, on the theory that while the GOP may be — may be — ready for post-Trump leadership, it is not ready for anti-Trump leadership.

Wood is far from “clueless” about the Republican demand for “loyalty to Trump” — he is keenly aware of what Republican voters think and feel, but he believes that these thoughts and feelings are grounded in falsehood and paranoia that ultimately will destroy the Republican Party and do great damage to the country itself. And, to the detriment of his electoral prospects, he says so.
Yep, case in point right there, and he's far from alone. All over the country Republican hopefuls who so much as hint at opposing Trump's lies are being attacked by their fellow 'Republicans'. They've taken the bullying tactics of the left and amped them up to 11 against members of their OWN party, it's insanity.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2458 on: May 04, 2021, 09:25:15 AM »
Because fuck it right, let 60 to 70% of Republicans continue to believe the election was stolen despite there being no evidence for it. It serves your agenda and you can always just blame Russia for "undermining confidence in our democratic institutions".

With the proviso that I believe a) our elections are legitimate and (relatively) sound, and b) I'm not at all excusing the behavior we're looking at here, this is misleading.  This isn't a measure of "Republican" incompetence, stupidity, or any of the things that it seems popular to attribute to them in the hindsight of a regrettable Presidency.   

People fear what they don't understand.   Couple that with the general "sour grapes" following an election, as well as a handful of incident that didn't impact the outcome, but well and truly COULD have impacted the outcome in a different race (Pennsylvania and Georgia), and you have a recipe for polling disasters like these.   I couldn't readily find a direct analogue in terms of polls (though that's not surprising, since many polls aren't about tracking general ideas neutrally over time, but are about providing click-bait data to further a point) but we have this, which says over 80% of Democrats felt Russia meddled in the election, despite no evidence at all that any vote totals were changed (didn't stop Hillary Clinton from blaming Russia, among other things, for her loss).   Then incorporate these two (here and here) widely read opinion pieces that basically utterly reject the Trump Presidency on election integrity grounds, and I'm not seeing anything other than patterned, petty, "my side your side" behavior reflected in that poll.    (The former example expressly says to actively disrespect the former President, and only acknowledge the legitimacy of the election itself to avoid being accused of undermining "the very republic that they seek to defend").

Don't get me wrong; it's still a shitty message for America, if anyone's listening, but it's important to know what that message is, if there is any hope at righting the ship.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
    • The ANABASIS - Music Making a Difference
« Reply #2459 on: May 04, 2021, 10:58:39 AM »
I didn't want to create a whole new thread for this but I saw it today and found it interesting and kind of funny, actually  :lol   

https://www.polarizationlab.com/troll-o-meter

The Troll-o-meter thing is...I don't know, at first I was kind of  :\  but now I'm  :lol

The language chart is interesting, though, and spot on I think.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2460 on: May 04, 2021, 11:24:55 AM »

Districting maps are fascinating things. I've never heard of Mike Brown, but after looking at his district I feel pretty safe in saying he didn't deserve to be elected. He was entirely the wrong candidate for his constituency. That map is a marvel of calculated vote distribution. Half of it is salt of the Earth rural Texans, and the other half is carved out of well-to-do white folk, white trash, Bible-thumpers, and business districts. Just enough poor folk on the other side of the lake, and scattered about elsewhere to give democrats a consistent ~40% vote. Given the aforementioned rural Texans, rich folk, white trash, and Bible thumpers he was courting, I don't think there's such a thing as "too far" when it comes to fellating Trump. Maybe his wife could have baked the world's largest rice krispie treat in the shape of Trump bestowing his grace upon Jesus or something.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
« Reply #2461 on: May 04, 2021, 08:05:26 PM »
Lol it got locked

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #2462 on: May 04, 2021, 08:11:21 PM »
dang, I'm bored now.  Hey you guys heard about how maybe the earth is actually flat?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kip Rolled
« Reply #2463 on: May 04, 2021, 08:14:54 PM »
I heard the moon landing was on a soundstage.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Inglourious Basstard
« Reply #2464 on: May 04, 2021, 08:16:15 PM »
I remember thinking Capricorn One was a solid film when I saw it years ago.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #2465 on: May 04, 2021, 08:19:20 PM »
Lol it got locked
5 days of batshit insane right-wing nonsense: it's all good. Half an hour of pushback: time to lock it, and oh by the way can we remind you all of the need for civility.

I also love how the guy whose final post was "name calling and assuming someone's political affiliation due to news media propaganda and conditioning will get you no civility from me" is the very same person who said "most Americans are stupid" and responds to every single counterpoint with "You've been brainwashed by the СIA".

I'm not joking, I'm honoured to be a part of this P/R "echo chamber".
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 09:19:43 PM by Dave_Manchester »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2466 on: May 04, 2021, 08:20:36 PM »
To be fair I’m pretty sure it got locked cause I reported Darkshades post.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2467 on: May 04, 2021, 08:27:26 PM »
Lol it got locked
5 days of batshit insane right-wing nonsense: it's all good. Half an hour of pushback: time to lock it.

I also love how the guy whose final post was "name calling and assuming someone's political affiliation due to news media propaganda and conditioning will get you no civility from me" is the very same person who said "most Americans are stupid" and responds to every single counterpoint with "You've been brainwashed by the СIA".

CIA is pretty damn effective if they can brainwash a communist British expat living in Russia. That's some pretty efficient spy vs spy shit there.

Offline kingshmegland

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2468 on: May 04, 2021, 08:28:40 PM »
I laughed because he insinuated I was name calling. Not even close. He was not willing to have a conversation to better the divide.

As I said about both sides, "Extremism is killing this country."
“I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #2469 on: May 04, 2021, 08:29:52 PM »
Lol it got locked
5 days of batshit insane right-wing nonsense: it's all good. Half an hour of pushback: time to lock it.

CIA is pretty damn effective if they can brainwash a communist British expat living in Russia. That's some pretty efficient spy vs spy shit there.
*Milhouse voice* We're through the looking glass here people.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #2470 on: May 05, 2021, 10:08:49 AM »
I couldn't even bother jumping into that thread, it was a troll from the start.  The same person who spews nonsense into the main covid thread.  It's tiring to have to read such blatant BS.  I don't know why you bother Dave, but I respect it.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2471 on: May 05, 2021, 11:12:13 AM »
I get the feeling from Bosk's post in that thread that Dave got banned  :'(
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2472 on: May 05, 2021, 11:30:08 AM »

I think that's rather apparent.  Some people can't handle being called out.
Fox = drip-feeding dumb people with rage-porn. CNN = drip-feeding smug assholes with moral reassurance.
I'll do my best, but this? The guy's getting Llamathrust.
Happy is the dog that stops and licks his balls.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
    • Overhaul
« Reply #2473 on: May 05, 2021, 11:33:12 AM »
wtf happened now
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2474 on: May 05, 2021, 11:41:48 AM »
wtf happened now

Go to the mask thread in GD, last page or so.

Dave was in the wrong to be so challenging about it, even though I feel he was at least in part correct about the situation.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2475 on: May 05, 2021, 11:45:26 AM »

I don't think so. However, I suspect Dave is currently carefully wording the post that will get him banned in spectacular fashion, so Bosk's post is basically last call.

And for what it's worth, I think they're both lf wrong. I get some of Dave's criticisms of the moderation here, but his passive-aggressive flaunting of his contempt isn't exactly productive, either.

The one thing I think we can all agree on was that thread should have been locked 7 posts in. It was a fucking trainwreck, and even if Bosk doesn't read every post here, plenty of other mods let it slide. DS was looking to troll and agitate, and it was readily obvious from his third post had anybody been paying attention.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ruba

« Reply #2476 on: May 05, 2021, 11:57:16 AM »
I read it as a final warning too.

Also, good grief what a shitshow that thread was. I applaud people's restraint not to let it become a total flame war.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2477 on: May 05, 2021, 12:21:21 PM »

I don't think so. However, I suspect Dave is currently carefully wording the post that will get him banned in spectacular fashion, so Bosk's post is basically last call.

And for what it's worth, I think they're both lf wrong. I get some of Dave's criticisms of the moderation here, but his passive-aggressive flaunting of his contempt isn't exactly productive, either.

The one thing I think we can all agree on was that thread should have been locked 7 posts in. It was a fucking trainwreck, and even if Bosk doesn't read every post here, plenty of other mods let it slide. DS was looking to troll and agitate, and it was readily obvious from his third post had anybody been paying attention.

I never did follow the thread, but on the bolded, I concur.  it seems unclear whether it’s a permanent ban or not. I’ve read the post 4 times, and I’m still not entirely certain .... but leaning towards thinking it’s a perm-ban.
Fox = drip-feeding dumb people with rage-porn. CNN = drip-feeding smug assholes with moral reassurance.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2478 on: May 05, 2021, 12:23:11 PM »
He isn’t banned. Yet.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2479 on: May 05, 2021, 12:26:50 PM »
He isn’t banned. Yet.

I hadn’t seen that the post was edited, so now I’m thinking his too.  Guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2480 on: May 05, 2021, 12:27:45 PM »

I never did follow the thread, but on the bolded, I concur.  it seems unclear whether it’s a permanent ban or not. I’ve read the post 4 times, and I’m still not entirely certain .... but leaning towards thinking it’s a perm-ban.
As Adami just said, he's not banned yet. My hunch is that as soon as Dave gets around to it he will be and it'll be permanent.

And upon further reflection, I can understand Dave's point of view on the matter. He certainly didn't do anything constructive about it, and it wouldn't have made any difference had he tried, but I can kind of see his point.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2481 on: May 05, 2021, 12:48:48 PM »
I agree. It's not the first time he's expressed his displeasure at how Bosk handles certain topics and he usually goes over the top with his criticism. It will be a shame if he gets the permaban. I keep coming back to P/R mostly to read his take on some of the issues that are usually discussed here. Oh well.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #2482 on: May 05, 2021, 12:49:44 PM »
Dave did not handle this shit well.  It was antagonistic.  But I would be lying if I said there were not truths spoken.  There were also truths spoken in Bosk's post as well, but they illustrate what can frustrate me about this mess.

Quote from: bosk1
I have no idea what you are talking about.  I have no ax to grind with you personally and don't think I have EVER had a conflict with you, on this board or elsewhere.  And I have no ax to grind with any "leftie" either. 

That's just simply not true.  There is an attempt to show a level of impartiality here, but there are just too many examples that show the contrary.  Yes Bosk runs the board and can do so how he sees fit.  But he does not run it with impartiality.  I have seen too many times that things are taken personally, and reactions are over emotional.  Yes it is his perogative how he runs the board, but he should at least be honest about it.

You can't man up, handle your business, and tell me directly that you have a problem with me?  Fine.  Since you insist on conjuring up a feud with me, and doing so publicly, fine.  You've got it.  As I said, up until about 5 minutes ago, I had no problem with you whatsoever.  As of now, I do.  I see anything I don't like from you, you are gone.  Unfair?  Maybe.  Guess what--I don't care.  You don't get to come here and insult the way I run the board.  Since you have done so, and done so for no apparent reason that I can see, you aren't a good fit here.

So now we get a certain level of honesty here.  Now he has a problem?  No, there has been bad blood brewing here for a while, on both sides.  To say that there was no problem until this instance is a bit insulting.  Were not blind here.  So now we are at a point where "if I don't like what you are saying, you are gone"?  That bothers me.  It causes me to lose the feeling, even if it is an illusion, that this is a real democratic community, instead of a monarchy where you worry about getting on the Kings bad side.  That really disappoints me, and I have been in that scenario before....sometimes justified, sometimes not.

If you have a problem with someone, I would suggest you talk to that person about the problem rather than passively-aggressively shouting to the world how "unfair" you think they are.  The former is how an adult handles problems.  The latter is how one who lack maturity does.  So there's your notice.  I bid you good day and good luck.

It really rubs me the wrong way, when he takes Dave to task here, and does the exact thing while doing so.  Why not a pm?  It just illustrates that this was taken personally.  An adult takes it to pm, and you are immature if you shout it in the thread.  It is insulting Dave........and I would have laughed at this self-own if I wasn't feeling the disappointment.  Sure, we are all human, we all have feelings...even a mod (LOL).  But the mod, especially the top mod, has a responsibility to not take it personally.  Doing so results in issues like this, with many other posters being affected.  I don't post much anymore (since I am not feuding with Stadler, what's the point? ;)  But I do read, and Dave's posts are the best thing that have happened to PR in a long time, as they make me think from a different perspective.
All that being said, Dave showed a regrettable lack of restraint with his post, but the top mod should have not added fuel to the bonfire by doing the same.  In an authority position, with the power to remove someone from a community that might mean a lot to them, the top mod needs to be impartial, and not personal.
Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 01:20:32 PM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2483 on: May 05, 2021, 01:11:01 PM »
I'll see your quote and raise you a:

Users who violate the rules will be warned at most three times before action is taken against them. The actions taken are largely at the moderators' discretion and will be scaled with the severity of the infraction. If you have a question about a rule or the punishment you received for breaking a rule, PM or e-mail a moderator. Please don't start threads about individual cases of moderation.

It isn't up for discussion.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2484 on: May 05, 2021, 01:15:20 PM »
Technically we didn't start a thread.. We started a discussion in an existing thread...