Author Topic: P/R side chat thread, v. I am not a number I am a free man  (Read 156273 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • The Nerdy Millennial
Re: P/R side chat thread, v. I am not a number I am a free man
« Reply #210 on: August 13, 2012, 09:09:46 PM »
I sincerely hope that none of you ever have the misfortune of becoming a member of Inthe00s.com. As a self-identifying liberal, I find them way too fucking extreme. I have never known individuals to despise the rich and generalize them into such a monolithic group as the members of that board do.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #212 on: August 16, 2012, 08:29:28 AM »
I don't think the North/South divide even matters in this case.
I think it does.  I don't see anyone living in paranoia down here.  "Southern hospitality" isn't just a catch-phrase.  We generally like each other down here.  And, I'm guessing, in most other parts of the country that aren't urban areas.

It's not a coincidence that the people in my neighborhood nicknamed it "Mayberry."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Back for the Attack
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #215 on: August 16, 2012, 09:59:33 AM »
You can say whatever about the merits of either left or right political views, but there's a distinct tendency for the kooks to end up on the right.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #217 on: August 16, 2012, 10:11:32 AM »
I never get how some on the right, simultaneously sometimes, think that the government and the people in the government are inept, but at the same time, able to carry on massive conspiracies, and keep it hidden. Obviously there's plenty of liberals with crackpot conspiracy theories, but they don't think government is inept like conservatives.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • The Nerdy Millennial
« Reply #218 on: August 16, 2012, 11:41:28 AM »
I never get how some on the right, simultaneously sometimes, think that the government and the people in the government are inept, but at the same time, able to carry on massive conspiracies, and keep it hidden. Obviously there's plenty of liberals with crackpot conspiracy theories, but they don't think government is inept like conservatives.

That's the best part of a scapegoat, really. You can assign whatever mutually contradicting qualities you want, and no one will think twice about it. The Jews are certainly comfortably familiar with this paradoxical state of affairs.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #220 on: August 16, 2012, 05:41:23 PM »

That's the best part of a scapegoat, really. You can assign whatever mutually contradicting qualities you want, and no one will think twice about it. The Jews are certainly comfortably familiar with this paradoxical state of affairs.

Very true. But you know what makes it bearable to hear all of those insults and constantly be the scapegoat? Do you know what makes it all worth while?

Running the world secretly.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #221 on: August 16, 2012, 05:44:14 PM »
You can say whatever about the merits of either left or right political views, but there's a distinct tendency for the kooks to end up on the right.

Maybe it just depends on the tint of whatever glasses we are wearing?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • The Nerdy Millennial
« Reply #222 on: August 16, 2012, 05:48:14 PM »
Sure, liberals have their fair share of nuts: Unabomber and ELF come to mind. But it should also be very telling that one can name only a couple such specific examples. Right wing nutjobs are a dime a dozen.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #223 on: August 16, 2012, 05:50:49 PM »
Sure, liberals have their fair share of nuts: Unabomber and ELF come to mind. But it should also be very telling that one can name only a couple such specific examples. Right wing nutjobs are a dime a dozen.

I feel the same way about liberal nutjobs. However, it'd be interesting to hear you name some of the nutjobs and see if it is just a disagreement with policy views, or they really are nutjobs.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #224 on: August 16, 2012, 06:19:10 PM »
OK, let's see, from the top of my head: Pat Robertson, Rush Limbaugh, Fred Phelps, Ted Nugent, Dave Mustaine, Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann, Ron Paul, Wade Page (the Wisconsin shooter)...

For liberals, I can only think of Keith Olbermann who has a definitive screw loose.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 06:33:07 PM by rumborak »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • The Nerdy Millennial
« Reply #225 on: August 16, 2012, 06:24:40 PM »
Don't forget Glenn Beck and Timothy McVeigh.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #226 on: August 16, 2012, 06:52:01 PM »
Could I submit Rick Santorum?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #227 on: August 16, 2012, 06:58:43 PM »
Alex Jones
9/11 truthers
Young Earthers

Offline Adami

« Reply #228 on: August 16, 2012, 06:59:23 PM »
OK, let's see, from the top of my head: Pat Robertson, Rush Limbaugh, Fred Phelps, Ted Nugent, Dave Mustaine, Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann, Ron Paul, Wade Page (the Wisconsin shooter)...

For liberals, I can only think of Keith Olbermann who has a definitive screw loose.

Short of whoever Wade Page is, I assume Snapple will group those people under "disagreement of political views".
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #229 on: August 16, 2012, 07:01:58 PM »
If Snapple groups Fred Phelps under "disagreement of political views", I will leave DTF.

Offline Adami

« Reply #230 on: August 16, 2012, 07:02:52 PM »
If Snapple groups Fred Phelps under "disagreement of political views", I will leave DTF.

Missed that name there. Fine, short of Fred Phelps and Wade Wilson.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #231 on: August 16, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
Their political views is the secondary point here though. Timothy McVeigh, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Sarah Palin, Fred Phelps,  Ted Nugent, Alex Jones etc are half-crazy, and I don't think many will disagree. The point from there is to note that they all flocked to right-wing ideology.

Offline Adami

« Reply #232 on: August 16, 2012, 07:09:34 PM »
Their political views is the secondary point here though. Timothy McVeigh, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Sarah Palin, Fred Phelps,  Ted Nugent, Alex Jones etc are half-crazy, and I don't think many will disagree. The point from there is to note that they all flocked to right-wing ideology.

But many right wingers will probably not agree that Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Sarah Palin, or Ted Nugent are half crazy. In fact lots of American's completely agree with them and love them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #233 on: August 16, 2012, 07:19:58 PM »
While I can see that point with Sarah Palin (she was more of an idiot than crazy), Glenn Beck got kicked from FOX because he went off the deep end. Getting kicked out of FOX for being too right-wing is like getting kicked out of the NSDAP for disliking Jews too much.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #234 on: August 16, 2012, 08:50:51 PM »
Interesting.  I'd consider the current list a combination of nutjobs, morons, and just people with different ideologies.  People who get their instructions from God, or choose to kill people because of their beliefs have to get the nutjob label.  Pat Robertson and Fred Phelps are certainly nutjobs.  So is McVeigh, but I wouldn't lump him in with the politically motivated nutjobs; he was more of a free agent.  We should also add Eric Rudolph.  Nugent, Palin and Mustaine are just idiots.  Beck, Limbaugh and Jones are just performers who're paid to espouse conservative viewpoints.  And I'd probably put Jones in the free agent camp along with McVeigh. 

Interestingly, Tim McVeigh resigned his NRA membership because he thought they were too soft on guns.  Sort of like Beck and FOX.
E.F. Benson

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • The Nerdy Millennial
« Reply #235 on: August 16, 2012, 08:55:18 PM »
Interesting.  I'd consider the current list a combination of nutjobs, morons, and just people with different ideologies.  People who get their instructions from God, or choose to kill people because of their beliefs have to get the nutjob label.  Pat Robertson and Fred Phelps are certainly nutjobs.  So is McVeigh, but I wouldn't lump him in with the politically motivated nutjobs; he was more of a free agent.  We should also add Eric Rudolph.  Nugent, Palin and Mustaine are just idiots.  Beck, Limbaugh and Jones are just performers who're paid to espouse conservative viewpoints.  And I'd probably put Jones in the free agent camp along with McVeigh. 

Interestingly, Tim McVeigh resigned his NRA membership because he thought they were too soft on guns.  Sort of like Beck and FOX.

Actually McVeigh was a Libertarian, as it turns out, and a registered Republican.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #236 on: August 16, 2012, 09:00:29 PM »

Actually McVeigh was a Libertarian, as it turns out.
Yeah, but he might have been closer to an anarchist, honestly.  He was non-political enough that I'm not sure I'd lump him in with the conservative nutjob pool.  Same with that dipshit Weaver, who was also not mentioned.  Separatists certainly align more closely with the conservatives, but they're still a very different breed of animal.  I suppose that's part of the Tea Party's growing pains. 
E.F. Benson

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #237 on: August 17, 2012, 06:28:26 AM »

Thanks for putting into words what I couldn't when I was sleeping.  :)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #238 on: August 17, 2012, 02:51:48 PM »
From Dave Mustaine to Tom Morello.  At least one of them is intelligent.

Quote from: Rolling Stone
Last week, Mitt Romney picked Paul Ryan, the Republican architect of Congress's radical right-wing budget plan, as his running mate. Ryan has previously cited Rage Against the Machine as one of his favorite bands. Rage guitarist Tom Morello responds in this exclusive op-ed.
Quote from: Tom Morello

Paul Ryan's love of Rage Against the Machine is amusing, because he is the embodiment of the machine that our music has been raging against for two decades. Charles Manson loved the Beatles but didn't understand them. Governor Chris Christie loves Bruce Springsteen but doesn't understand him. And Paul Ryan is clueless about his favorite band, Rage Against the Machine.

Ryan claims that he likes Rage's sound, but not the lyrics. Well, I don't care for Paul Ryan's sound or his lyrics. He can like whatever bands he wants, but his guiding vision of shifting revenue more radically to the one percent is antithetical to the message of Rage.

I wonder what Ryan's favorite Rage song is? Is it the one where we condemn the genocide of Native Americans? The one lambasting American imperialism? Our cover of "Fuck the Police"? Or is it the one where we call on the people to seize the means of production? So many excellent choices to jam out to at Young Republican meetings!

Don't mistake me, I clearly see that Ryan has a whole lotta "rage" in him: A rage against women, a rage against immigrants, a rage against workers, a rage against gays, a rage against the poor, a rage against the environment. Basically the only thing he's not raging against is the privileged elite he's groveling in front of for campaign contributions.

You see, the super rich must rationalize having more than they could ever spend while millions of children in the U.S. go to bed hungry every night. So, when they look themselves in the mirror, they convince themselves that "Those people are undeserving. They're . . . lesser." Some of these guys on the extreme right are more cynical than Paul Ryan, but he seems to really believe in this stuff. This unbridled rage against those who have the least is a cornerstone of the Romney-Ryan ticket.

But Rage's music affects people in different ways. Some tune out what the band stands for and concentrate on the moshing and throwing elbows in the pit. For others, Rage has changed their minds and their lives. Many activists around the world, including organizers of the global occupy movement, were radicalized by Rage Against the Machine and work tirelessly for a more humane and just planet. Perhaps Paul Ryan was moshing when he should have been listening.

My hope is that maybe Paul Ryan is a mole. Maybe Rage did plant some sensible ideas in this extreme fringe right wing nut job. Maybe if elected, he'll pardon Leonard Peltier.  Maybe he'll throw U.S. military support behind the Zapatistas. Maybe he'll fill Guantanamo Bay with the corporate criminals that are funding his campaign and then torture them with Rage music 24/7. That's one possibility. But I'm not betting on it.
:tup

edited to replace newsclip with the complete Op-Ed piece.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:59:26 PM by El Barto »
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #239 on: August 17, 2012, 03:19:31 PM »
Dayum. That was surprisingly well-written.
Kinda related, it's hilarious how RNCs and other such congregations always get cease-and-desist letters from artists telling them to stop playing their songs.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #240 on: August 20, 2012, 03:30:11 PM »
Aken deserves all the backlash he is getting.  Still, this is seriously refreshing seeing how much of that backlash is coming from his fellow party members.  This is quite unusual for the GOP.  Its clearly not defensible, but still, this is some great RvR action.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #241 on: August 20, 2012, 04:42:38 PM »
I saw an interesting bumper sticker today. It said "WE'LL REMEMBER 03-21-10 IN NOVEMBER". This was all it said... I highly doubt that the average American will even know the significance of that date.

Just a thought...
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.
Quote from: Cyril
I'm going to fall on top of you if I do and we'll both go down together

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #242 on: August 20, 2012, 04:51:09 PM »
Aken deserves all the backlash he is getting.  Still, this is seriously refreshing seeing how much of that backlash is coming from his fellow party members.  This is quite unusual for the GOP.  Its clearly not defensible, but still, this is some great RvR action.
Yeah, I thought the same thing.  His own party's ready to light him on fire. 

I saw an interesting bumper sticker today. It said "WE'LL REMEMBER 03-21-10 IN NOVEMBER". This was all it said... I highly doubt that the average American will even know the significance of that date.

Just a thought...
I guessed right, but it really was a guess. 
E.F. Benson

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #243 on: August 20, 2012, 05:00:59 PM »

Just a thought...

Me too...
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.
Quote from: Cyril
I'm going to fall on top of you if I do and we'll both go down together

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #244 on: August 20, 2012, 05:28:53 PM »

Just a thought...

Me too...

For the ignorant amongst us, what is that date?