Poll

Which do you have and why?

I have a smart phone. I can afford it.
52 (59.1%)
I have a smart phone. I can't really afford it, but I think it's worth sacrificing other areas to pay for it.
4 (4.5%)
I have a dumb phone because I can't afford a smart phone.
14 (15.9%)
I have a dumb phone because I don't find a smart phone to be worth the expense.
18 (20.5%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: Smart Phone or Dumb Phone?  (Read 2830 times)

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Smart Phone or Dumb Phone?
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2012, 08:49:57 PM »
I have a dumb phone that sort of tries to act like a smart phone (LG 800G). I use TracFone because I don't use my phone enough to justify a contract. Ends up costing me about $15-$25 a month, depending on how much I use it. No way I could afford a smart phone with a data plan.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2012, 04:55:35 AM »
I have a dumb phone because I couldn't find a smart phone as small as my dumb phone. I need my cell phone to be as small and flat as possible as I hate carrying any heavy bulgy items in my jeans pockets.

No camera. It's lighter that way.
Also I strongly believe in specialization and exclusiveness in that matter, I have my 80gb iPod for my music, I don't think if music is important enough to a person on the move that it's enough to have a device that also works as a phone, a device which would have multiple tasks and would always risk battery running out due to that. GPS device for the car and a PSP are also items that I don't want to be part of my phone, another reason is that I have a phobia of having all my accessories bundled in one device which failure/lost/damage would cause multiple inconveniences at once.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2012, 06:27:45 AM »
Smart phones are pretty cheap here, $53 a month for some plans with unlimited data plans.

I use my smart phone a lot for work related stuff so it really pays for itself whether I'm trading off my phone or I'm taking reservations for the hotel with it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2012, 07:52:06 AM »
Smart phone - DROID RAZR maxx for me. I love it and i don't know what I would do without it during ny commute on the train. I also post on this site from it very often since I got this phone.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2012, 08:48:58 AM »
Smart phones are pretty cheap here, $53 a month for some plans with unlimited data plans.

Yup, my plan is $45 a month, with unlimited everything and 1200 minutes.  Phones are a bit pricey, but not too bad, my current one was $170.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2012, 09:01:02 AM »
I have a dumb phone and since I am a student, I can't afford a smart phone. Well, I technically I can, but I much prefer to spend my money on other stuff.
Pretty much that.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2012, 02:37:19 PM »
Smart phone, can afford it.

E-mail on my phone has been the single greatest upgrade to my life in the past 5 years since so much of my work involves communication and document swapping.  Internet and games are just gravy on top.

It also doesn't hurt that I get 25% off as long as I stick with my current provider from a job I haven't worked at in over 9 years, so I pay less than $60 a month for voice and unlimited data as long as I don't get too many texts because I'm too cheap for a texting plan.  With email on my phone, I really have no need for a texting plan either.  Just because I have money doesn't mean I'm going to just give it to Verizon.

Ironically, I use my smart phone as a phone far less than I use it for everything else.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2012, 05:17:20 PM »
Looks like Virgin Mobile will offer the Iphone for $30 bucks a month.

https://www.enstarz.com/articles/3482/20120616/virgin-mobile-no-contract-iphone-4s-coming-june-29th-are-you-getting-one.htm

The only thing holding me back from buying one was the expensive data plan, so it looks like that is no longer a problem.  :tup

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2012, 05:30:34 PM »
I lost my beloved four year old dumb phone, and honestly, I'm coping pretty well without. Just glad that my sister has an iPhone to give me.
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2012, 06:46:34 PM »
Looks like Virgin Mobile will offer the Iphone for $30 bucks a month.

https://www.enstarz.com/articles/3482/20120616/virgin-mobile-no-contract-iphone-4s-coming-june-29th-are-you-getting-one.htm

The only thing holding me back from buying one was the expensive data plan, so it looks like that is no longer a problem.  :tup
The upfront cost puts it out of my price range, but it is intriguing.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2012, 06:51:03 PM »
Dumbphone. I would love to have access to google maps on the go, but it's not worth the price (plus I've had many interesting adventures from getting lost), and I also despise touch screens with a passion.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2012, 07:57:22 PM »
I have a smart phone. I had the HTC Inspire till today. It just crashed hard, so hard they can't fix it. They are shipping me the HTC One X overnight. I feel so lost without my phone!

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2012, 08:43:19 PM »
and I also despise touch screens with a passion.

The worst thing about touch screens is they're a constant reminder of how filthy your fingers are.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2012, 12:04:03 PM »
and I also despise touch screens with a passion.

The worst thing about touch screens is they're a constant reminder of how filthy your fingers are.

Just imagine my problems with it at work, I have to clean the fucking thing every five minutes.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2012, 12:19:41 PM »
Dumb phone for a dumb person.  :biggrin: Or shall I say: simplified phone for a stupid person?  :biggrin: :biggrin:

I don't find smart phone useful for me, nowadays I only call, send text messages and use the calculator with my phone. I'd use the camera also, but it is slightly broken (the screen becomes flurry and I have to turn the power off). Those all are in dumb phone. But I'm glad if you like your phones.

E:
I have a dumb phone and since I am a student, I can't afford a smart phone. Well, I technically I can, but I much prefer to spend my money on other stuff.

Exactly the same.