Author Topic: KirksNoseHair's Top 50 v. And the #1 album is........  (Read 35615 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: KirksNoseHair's Top 50 v. From The Stone Age thru The Digital Age
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2012, 02:46:29 PM »
great selections so far

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2012, 02:54:39 PM »
Oh, and on an unrelated note:

Longer note about Texas Flood - I've been listening to that album since it came out thanks to my Dad, who'd seen SRV many times in the early 80s at Antone's here in Austin before Stevie really broke out large thanks to Bowie's Let's Dance and Texas Flood.  SRV and Double Trouble was also my very first concert back in 1986, and I was at one of five shows where the Live Alive album was recorded.  Man... just an amazing show, and I remember he ended up playing until about 2am (when the show started at 8pm!).  Phenomenal guitar player, no fooling.

I envy you so much. SRV's my favorite guitarist ever and I never got to see him. :(
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2012, 04:07:16 PM »
With the exception of Megadeth, this sounds like a list my dad would put together so far, so I've grown up to all this music so far (including Megadeth).

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2012, 04:31:05 PM »
Oh, and on an unrelated note:

Longer note about Texas Flood - I've been listening to that album since it came out thanks to my Dad, who'd seen SRV many times in the early 80s at Antone's here in Austin before Stevie really broke out large thanks to Bowie's Let's Dance and Texas Flood.  SRV and Double Trouble was also my very first concert back in 1986, and I was at one of five shows where the Live Alive album was recorded.  Man... just an amazing show, and I remember he ended up playing until about 2am (when the show started at 8pm!).  Phenomenal guitar player, no fooling.

I envy you so much. SRV's my favorite guitarist ever and I never got to see him. :(

My brother said the same thing - SRV was never his favorite guitarist (that was reserved for Frank Zappa) but he always had an appreciation for Stevie's style.

There are only two really sad days here in Austin - Stevie's birthday and the anniversary of his death.

I also agree with Kwyjibo's point about Stevie being 6 months clean and sober before the accident that caused his untimely death.  I agree that his version of Little Wing is awesome, but in a different way than Jimi's.  I love how at one point you can clearly hear Stevie's amp buzzing.  I LOVE hearing that in music - makes it so much more raw and fresh.

NOW... to the new additions...

I need to get more familiar with Leftoverture (even though The Wall is one of my favorite Kansas songs ever) and SBS, but Fragile is a stellar choice and a great album.

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2012, 04:50:49 PM »
Leftoverture ..... another one of my favs ..... love Opus Insert and The Wall. Steve Walsh one of my top favorite vocalists 

All hail to KirksNoseHair   :hefdaddy
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 05:08:09 PM by johnnysuperfan »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2012, 04:55:17 PM »
FRAGILE  :heart

Also Leftoverture is great.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jsem

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2012, 05:03:08 PM »
SHIIE MAN you have great taste

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2012, 06:17:23 PM »
With the exception of Megadeth, this sounds like a list my dad would put together so far, so I've grown up to all this music so far (including Megadeth).

Shit man, the two of you aren't THAT far apart in age.

This is definitely a rock lesson for the kidlets around here.  Methinks I'm gonna love this list, and the chatter.  I'll be honest (runs to put protective gear on), the only full albums I have from this so far are Zep II and Fragile.  The others, I'm only peripherally familiar with.  Most of these were well past their prime by the time I started on my rock journey (about '86).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2012, 06:21:47 PM »
I'm familiar with all that stuff and dig it all.  Except for Foreigner; can't stand those guys.  Everything else is jammin.  Esp. Peace Sells.  That album's my jam.  That and the goddamn Lemon Song.  Can't genough of that. 

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2012, 08:28:12 PM »
i aint superstitious = fun. love the cover.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2012, 08:42:47 PM »
Good list so far, and your making me look like a snail the rate you are going.

Priest
Sabbath
Megadeth
SRV

:metal :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2012, 08:51:49 PM »
i aint superstitious = fun. love the cover.
I personally can't stand that song. Mustaine sounds worse than he normally does.  :lol

Small blot on an otherwise perfect album.

Some great picks so far.

:tup of the LZ, Sabbath, Yes and Megadeth picks.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2012, 08:56:11 PM »
I always seem to change my mind in regards to which is the best Judas Priest album of the 70s. Stained Class is a great choice.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2012, 06:01:43 AM »

41. Mercyful Fate - "Into The Unknown"

Tracklist:

01 - Lucifer
02 - The Uninvited Guest
03 - The Ghost of Change
04 - Listen to the Bell
05 - Fifteen Men (And a Bottle of Rum)
06 - Into The Unknown
07 - Under The Spell
08 - Deadtime
09 - Holy Water
10 - Kutulu (The Mad Arab, Part 2)

"Into the Unknown" is Mercyful Fate's fifth studio album, released by Metal Blade records in 1996, it is the most commercially successful Mercyful Fate album ever.  Peaking at #31 in the Finnish charts and remaining for two weeks in the top 40 it's the only album by the band that ever appeared on any charts.  The album features some of the band's best and most progressive material in their catalog, a direction that King Diamond lead the band in, which has always been a rather large bone of contention and source of infighting.  Now I will be the first to admit that band leader and vocalist King Diamond is an acquired taste.  There is rarely any middle ground with him.  It seems that most folks either love him or hate him.  His vocals are certainly unique.  His use of falsetto can sometimes be distracting, but if you can make the adjustment the music is well worth it.  Some of the best riffing this side of Black Sabbath and the songs grow on you.  Key tracks here would be "The Uninvited Guest" "Fifteen Men" "Into The Unknown" and "Kutulu"

40. Triumph - "Allied Forces"

Tracklist:

01 - Fool for Your Love
02 - Magic Power
03 - Air Raid
04 - Allied Forces
05 - Hot Time (In This City Tonight)
06 - Fight The Good Fight
07 - Ordinary Man
08 - Petite Etude
09 - Say Goodbye

Released in 1981, the 5th studio album from Canadian hard rock giants, Triumph, "Allied Forces" propelled them into mega stardom with monstrous FM Rock radio hits in "Magic Power" and "Fight The Good Fight" Triumph were now selling out huge arenas around the globe.  Lead by virtuoso guitarist and vocalist Rick Emmett, this power trio took the world by storm and would eventually release 10 studio albums with 6 gold and 4 platinum.  "Fight The Good Fight" was one of the first songs I ever learned on the guitar and Rick's playing inspired me to learn how to play the modes of the major scale.  Key tracks are "Magic Power" "Allied Forces" "Fight The Good Fight" and "Ordinary Man"

39. Savatage - "Poets and Madmen"

Tracklist:

01 - Stay With Me Awhile
02 - There In The Silence
03 - Commissar
04 - I Seek Power
05 - Drive
06 - Morphine Child
07 - The Rumor
08 - Man In The Mirror
09 - Surrender
10 - Awaken
11 - Back To Reason

What can I say about Savatage's final studio album (their 11th overall)?  A bittersweet ending to one of the greatest metal bands ever.  When researching for this list, I found out something I never knew and that is the fact that this album is a "loose concept" based around the life of a journalist named Kevin Carter.  Jon Oliva does all of the vocals here (Zach had left the band on good terms) and Chris Caffery plays most of the guitar solos, which are killer.  Savatage certainly has stronger albums in their catalog, but this one hit me on a personal level with tracks like "Morphine Child" and "I Seek Power" connecting with my personal demons.  Those would be the key tracks along with "Commissar" and "There In The Silence"

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2012, 06:04:18 AM »
Quick review of the first dozen:

50. Judas Priest - Stained Class
49. Foreigner - Foreigner
48. Led Zeppelin - II
47. The Edgar Winter Group - They Only Come Out at Night
46. Stevie Ray Vaughn - Texas Flood
45. Megadeth - Peace Sells but Who's Buying
44. Yes - Fragile
43. Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
42. Kansas - Leftoverture
41. Mercyful Fate - Into The Unknown
40. Triumph - Allied Forces
39. Savatage - Poets and Madmen

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2012, 06:54:12 AM »
Well, this is surely getting a bit repetitive, but great stuff! I really, really like Savatage - do you know Reverence? IIRC, a member of Savatage plays in that band and I've been really digging them lately.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2012, 08:08:40 AM »
Unfamiliar with the Mercyful Fate and Savatage albums. Allied Forces might crack my top ten though, as a teen, it was my favorite. Magic Power, I believe, was the song that told me music was something more than just entertainment to me, that it would hold a place dear in my life as a companion, friend, and a shoulder to cry on. Such a great tune.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2012, 08:14:11 AM »
Don't know MF
Allied Forces = GEM.  It's what Moving Pictures is to Rush (same year too).
Savatage ... you know, I have their discography, but it's hit and miss with me.  Nothing wrong with any album, but I've rarely been wow'd by them.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2012, 08:16:21 AM »
Frankenstein is definitely an awesome song, and definitely one of the definitive classic rock radio instrumentals (along with Jessica by the Allman Brothers), but I never much cared for the rest of that album.  Even Free Ride is just okay to me.

I love Triumph!  Not sure any of their albums would break my top 50, but Allied Forces, Thunder Seven, Never Surrender and Just a Game are all killer. :tup :tup

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2012, 12:20:09 PM »
I love me some 'Tage, and I was about to complain about your choice of albums until I saw your explanation.  "Streets" and Dead Winter Dead are my suggested starting points, the former with Jon Oliva on vocals, the latter with Zac Stevens.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2012, 12:31:57 PM »
Not really familiar with the Mercyful Fate and Savatage albums, but the Triumph one is ace. :tup

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2012, 12:38:20 PM »
The Triumph is very good, the Savatage is good but not their best (that would be Streets) and MF I'm not familiar with, though I do quite like KD solo.

Last fm would have us down as musically compatible  ;D

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2012, 12:45:52 PM »
Triumph :tup

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2012, 02:36:40 PM »
Never really could get into "Streets" too much.  Not sure why. 

Had a ton of issues at work today, but will do a couple of updates tomorrow, I promise  :hat

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2012, 03:18:17 PM »
Triumph & Savatage = great choices

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2012, 03:24:45 PM »
Allied Forces, fuck yeah.

I think I see why when you recommend something I like it so. You seem to have most of my music collection already  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2012, 03:50:43 PM »
Frankenstein is definitely an awesome song, and definitely one of the definitive classic rock radio instrumentals (along with Jessica by the Allman Brothers), but I never much cared for the rest of that album.  Even Free Ride is just okay to me.

I love Triumph!  Not sure any of their albums would break my top 50, but Allied Forces, Thunder Seven, Never Surrender and Just a Game are all killer. :tup :tup

Thunder 7 is a killer album but I'm with you on it not making my top 50 but it's close.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2012, 03:58:34 PM »

Had a ton of issues at work today, but will do a couple of updates tomorrow, I promise  :hat

10 albums in 36 hours?  I don't think anyone is complaining about your warp speed.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2012, 09:13:17 PM »
Somehow had missed this thread before now.... Lots of great selections so far! Damn good stuff  :tup

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2012, 12:25:11 AM »
Mercyful Fate and Triumph are on my endless list of bands that I'd like to check out but time and money prevailed so far.

Savatage on the other hand is great. From Hall Of The Mountain King on they delivered a row of great albums. Don't know if I would rate Poets and Madmen as their best but it's definitely a top record. I actually have a limited edition which contains the short story about the journalist the album is based upon. But it's more a loose concept unlike Dead Winter Dead or Streets. So sad that they finally called it quits.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2012, 05:40:07 AM »
Savatage might have been the worst band I have ever seen live! I always thought their vision far outweighed their execution.

Triumph is a classic call, Kirk.
And I'm hit or miss with Merciful Fate. I have to ignore the singer almost completely to enjoy the music.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2012, 05:49:39 AM »

38. Dokken - "Tooth and Nail"

Tracklist:

01 - Without Warning
02 - Tooth and Nail
03 - Just Got Lucky
04 - Heartless Heart
05 - Don't Close Your Eyes
06 - When Heaven Comes Down
07 - Into the Fire
08 - Bullets to Spare
09 - Alone Again
10 - Turn on the Action

When this album was released I was in a band that specialized in hard rock and metal covers and we immediately latched on to "Just Got Lucky" "Into The Fire" and "Alone Again." Don Dokken was a phenomenal vocalist and frontman and of course George Lynch became one of the most widely admired guitarists on the scene.  I generally always found Dokken to be a little bit uneven and this album is no exception, but it was such a key album in the formation of my musical taste that I just had to include it here.  These guys were a great live band too.  I had a chance to see them a couple of times in the 80's and they always put on a hell of a show.   From what I hear, they are working on a new album.

37. Iron Maiden - "Killers"

Tracklist:

01 - The Ides of March (instrumental)
02 - Wrathchild
03 - Murders in the Rue Morgue
04 - Another Life
05 - Genghis Khan (instrumental)
06 - Innocent Exile
07 - Killers
08 - Prodigal Son
09 - Purgatory
10 - Drifter

Killers is Iron Maiden's second album.  It's their first album with Adrian Smith on guitar and their last album with Paul Di'Anno on vocals who couldn't seem to stop doing coke and drinking and get his shit together, so he was asked to leave.  Some interesting notes about this album that I was unaware of before researching for this thread, Killers is the only Iron Maiden album to feature two instrumentals and the entire album was written almost exclusively by Steve Harris.  This album doesn't seem to get a lot of love from most Iron Maiden fans, but I have always thought it was a, um, Killer album.  I love the dark and almost punk edginess to it and despite Di'Anno's problems, I always dug his vocals.  Key tracks here would be "Wrathchild" "Murders in The Rue Morgue" "Killers" and "Prodigal Son"

36. Skid Row - "Skid Row"

Tracklist:

01 - Big Guns
02 - Sweet Little Sister
02 - Can't Stand The Heartache
04 - Piece of Me
05 - 18 and Life
06 - Rattlesnake Shake
07 - Youth Gone Wild
08 - Here I Am
09 - Makin' a Mess
10 - I Remember You
11 - Midnight/Tornado

The first time I heard the song "18 and Life" I was completely blown away by the vocals.  Who WAS this dude?  Then I heard "I Remember You" and immediately went out and bought the album.  Their vocalist, Sabastian Bach is undoubtedly one of the most gifted hard rock vocalists ever, and his vocals on this album are just stunning, escpecially in "I Remember You"  Unfortunately, his reputation for being extremely difficult to work with precedes him and I suspect may have even held him and Skid Row back a bit professionally.  It's too bad, because I would have liked to have heard more from this band.  In any case, Skid Row would go on to make 4 more albums with their second album "Slave To The Grind" often cited as the pinnacle of their creative success. I actually prefer the self-titled debut.  The songs just registered with me better.  Along with the other two already mentioned, the other key track here would be "Youth Gone Wild"

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2012, 05:51:24 AM »
Savatage might have been the worst band I have ever seen live! I always thought their vision far outweighed their execution.

And I'm hit or miss with Merciful Fate. I have to ignore the singer almost completely to enjoy the music.

Never got a chance to see Savatage live, but Triumph was excellent when I saw them live.  I understand about King Diamond's vocals in Mercyful Fate.  It's definitely an acquired taste thing, no doubt.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2012, 05:57:55 AM »

Never got a chance to see Savatage live, but Triumph was excellent when I saw them live.  I understand about King Diamond's vocals in Mercyful Fate.  It's definitely an acquired taste thing, no doubt.
I saw Dio/Megadeth/Savatage at the Providence Civic Center on 12/28/87. The singer had this long purple coat on. He looked like a  Nightmare Barny.
I jumped in with two feet on King Diamond and Merciful Fate. The last two KD albums, Puppet Master and GMYS>>P I love. Lot more focused vocals. The high stuff is just terrible. I also have the MF albums but nothing has ever really stuck.

I only saw Triumph once, on the Thunder Seven tour, the night they filmed the video.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2012, 06:00:38 AM »
King Diamond has an amazing voice, I loved it from first listen.