Author Topic: Is Zionism racism?  (Read 5133 times)

Offline ohgar

• Wha?
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
Is Zionism racism?
« on: July 14, 2012, 05:32:21 PM »
Operating under the assumption that the Jews are a "race" (because there is more genetic evidence for the existence of a Jewish "race" than there is for a black "race"), I do not see how anyone could argue that Zionism is not racism. Zionism promotes the idea of a homeland for one specific race, ruled by one specific race and advancing the goals of one specific race. In most of the civilized world, phrases like "Britain for the Britons" are laughed at, but in Israel "Israel for the Jews" is a fundamental policy.

This, of course, speaks only to the theoretical implications of Zionism. In practice, it has displaced the Arab population of the land formerly known as Palestine, and even Arab Israelis are heavily discriminated against.

It is clear that, in theory and in practice, Zionism is a racist policy. So why do Jews get so upset when someone says Zionism is racism?
Iam pridem, ex quo suffragia nulli vendimus, effudit curas; nam qui dabat olim imperium, fasces, legiones, omnia, nunc se continet atque duas tantum res anxius optat, panem et circenses.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
Re: Is Zionism racism?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 07:34:10 PM »
If I am not mistaken zionism is called as "modern nationalism". I've read some articles about that and the root of this thought is to prevent jewry from assimilation but it turns out political vision more than a nationalism opinion. When this opinion is feed by political forces I think it's safe to call  it as a racist policy but again, racism is not its purpose.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 07:35:45 PM »
Anything for the advancement of a given race over another, or the detriment of a given race over another, is 'racism.'
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »
Zionism can be racist for sure. However wanting a safe haven for Jews (especially after the holocaust) isn't racist, considering that every other country kicked  us out and therefore couldn't be a safe haven.

But many Zionists who favor Jews above any other group are guilty of horrible prejudice. I do not consider myself a zionist and do not think Israel should be a strictly Jewish country (though I do think it needs a clause in its constitution that Jews can never be expelled as a group), yet I think it should be a secular country.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ħ

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 07:39:38 PM »
I do not consider myself a zionist

Local Zionist
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online Adami

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 07:41:45 PM »

Local Zionist

Yes, it was a joke added with the Palestinian flag.

Get it?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 07:45:53 PM »

Local Zionist

Yes, it was a joke added with the Palestinian flag.

Get it?

It's a Jewish conspiracy...

;)

Actually...what I really wanted to ask you (with 'tongue in cheek')...   Is this where all those stupid asinine conspiracy theories that only Mel Gibson believe get started??? 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Adami

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 07:52:21 PM »
Yes, BrotherH is responsible for all of the anti-jewish conspiracy theories.

About time someone figured it out.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 09:07:41 PM »
It's only racism when it involves whites. It's not racist when black people want a black president. Jews are mostly white so, yes, Zionism is mostly racism.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 09:10:56 PM »
It's only racism when it involves whites. It's not racist when black people want a black president. Jews are mostly white so, yes, Zionism is mostly racism.

:yeahright

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 09:11:41 PM »
I will simply observe. My position essentially goes without saying.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 11:24:54 PM »

:yeahright

:yeahright :yeahright
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline adace

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 12:50:54 AM »
Zionism can be racist for sure. However wanting a safe haven for Jews (especially after the holocaust) isn't racist, considering that every other country kicked  us out and therefore couldn't be a safe haven.

But many Zionists who favor Jews above any other group are guilty of horrible prejudice. I do not consider myself a zionist and do not think Israel should be a strictly Jewish country (though I do think it needs a clause in its constitution that Jews can never be expelled as a group), yet I think it should be a secular country.
Pretty much this. Well put.

Offline Odysseus

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 05:54:43 AM »
This thread prompted me to look up the religious spread in Israel.  More muslims than I would have expected at 16.9% - the last time I read a statistic on this was over 10 years ago and it said roughly 11% muslim at the time. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Israel

The religious affiliation of the Israeli population[vague] as of 2011 was 75.4% Jewish, 16.9% Muslim, 2.1% Christian, and 1.7% Druze, with the remaining 4.0% not classified by religion.[2]

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 01:32:39 PM »
It's kinda interesting, since Jews' desire for a home state is happening at a time when the classic "home states" for other religions (Europe+US for Christianity, Middle East for Islam) are forced to redefine themselves on a secular basis because of their increasing diversity.
So, it's weird for Israel, and to my understanding it's a totally not-figured out issue, the tension between being a religious haven for a group, but also an international state that has to publicly act religion-agnostic.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 07:29:35 PM »
I don't think Israel should've been created.  But now that it's here, they and everybody else will have to work towards something that allows peaceful coexistence and human rights for everyone.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."