Author Topic: wolfking's official top 50 album thread v. Over and out  (Read 93171 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: wolfking's official top 50 album thread v. Ninties grunge heaven
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2012, 04:47:19 AM »
Well, Sixteen Stone is a very solid album, but it would never top some of the things in your 50-60 for me..
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2012, 04:51:38 AM »
Of course, I would expect that response, but a lot of these albums you'll see in my list just have had a special connection with me over time, and have impacted my life on a big level.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2012, 04:51:49 AM »
I think of the big "hits" from Sixteen Stone, I'm not thoroughly sick of Machinehead yet. :lol   Bush was never my favorite of the grunge/psuedo-grunge scene back in the early/mid 90s (that's reserved for Alice in Chains), but they were by no means a bad band.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: wolfking's official top 50 album thread v. welcome!!
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2012, 04:52:27 AM »
I only have Circle of Life and Shadowking which is a newer one I think.  I do also have the 2 disc Live Invasion, so I guess my best bet is to give that a spin.

Yeah, no wonder you weren't that impressed with them.  Actually, Shadowking was 2010.  This year's release is Land of the Crimson Dawn.  I'm not a huge fan of Live Invasion.

Go here.

Oh, and listening to TPE right now to re-acquaint myself with it.

Listening now, this is pretty damn solid power metal.  What other albums from these guys would you class as essential?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2012, 04:53:46 AM »
I think of the big "hits" from Sixteen Stone, I'm not thoroughly sick of Machinehead yet. :lol   Bush was never my favorite of the grunge/psuedo-grunge scene back in the early/mid 90s (that's reserved for Alice in Chains), but they were by no means a bad band.

They were always classed as a b-grade grunge band which annoyed me.  This and Razorblade Suitcase were simply killer in my book.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2012, 04:56:49 AM »
Crystal Empire and Eternity are essential.  Taragon (which isn't much more than an EP) and Stairway to Fairyland are fairly good.  Circle of Life and Dimensions aren't very good at all (IMO).  Shadowking is pretty good, and Crimson Dawn I haven't listened to enough to really be able to tell.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2012, 04:58:46 AM »
From what I can recall Shadowking was decent but Circle of Life was absolute shit.  I think I skipped through every single track.  This Crystal Empire is decent though.  Reminds me of a mix between Blind Guardian, Hammerfall and Silent Force.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2012, 05:05:21 AM »
From what I can recall Shadowking was decent but Circle of Life was absolute shit.  I think I skipped through every single track.  This Crystal Empire is decent though.  Reminds me of a mix between Blind Guardian, Hammerfall and Silent Force.

Not to derail this into a jingle-wolf conversation, but you're right.  I was just trying to be more polite.  :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2012, 05:08:46 AM »

Not to derail this into a jingle-wolf conversation, but you're right.  I was just trying to be more polite.  :lol

:lol This Crystal Empire though, good stuff.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2012, 05:13:03 AM »

They were always classed as a b-grade grunge band which annoyed me.  This and Razorblade Suitcase were simply killer in my book.

Yeah, they were a LOT better than they were ever given credit for - I completely agree.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2012, 05:16:18 AM »
Might as well do one more before I go to bed;

49. Soilwork - The Chainheart Machine (2000)

As some of you know I am quite a big fan of death and melodic death metal.  I was once at a stage where I despised growls of all types, I just thought they were rubbish.  After going through a very harsh breakup when I was about 19 or 20, I was very hurt and angry and needed something more in my music at the time.  I discovered Soilwork and pretty much all of their work right away, and from there I have loved harsh vocals ever since.  This is their second album and it instantly struck a chord with me.  This is the last album where Bjorn’s vocals are all harsh, and even though people more lean towards A Predators Portrait or Natural Born Chaos, The Chainheart Machine was the one that grabbed me more and I still love it today as much as I did back then.  Every song is perfect and the consistency of the record is incredible.  Fast paced songs, incredible vocals, and the twin leads from Ola and Peter are just perfect.  The production is crystal clear and the whole record just sounds so powerful and heavy.  I would also like to mention the amount of amazing guitar harmonies and melodies throughout the songs.  Mixing the melody of the guitars with Bjorn’s voice was just such a perfect recipe.  A tremendous death metal release.

Best songs: The Chainheart Machine, Million Flame, Spirits of the Future Sun, Machine Gun Majesty

The Chainheart Machine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-deRh1VGYA
Millionflame: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFaSXInnNtw

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2012, 06:07:56 AM »
Two albums that I don't know, but I like the way that you describe your reasonings for the placements.  :tup
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2012, 08:40:37 AM »
Don't think I've listened to Gamma Ray ever, will have to check them out. Wasn't a huge Helloween fan tbh but they have grown on me since I gave them the chance.
Heaven & Hell is half awesome, with a couple of poor tracks dragging it down.
Not a fan of Evergrey.
Redemption is good but nowhere near top 50 for me.
I was put off The tea Party by the Zep comparisons as I can't stand them- well, I can't stand Robert Plant I should say. Might give them a listen as my taste has broadened since I first heard of them.

Bush? Not for me.

Soilwork I think I did have a listen to but those harsh vocals... not my thing.

Keep 'em coming though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
That's cool lowdz, but check Gamma Ray, I think you'd get a kick out of them.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2012, 03:48:29 PM »
Gamma Ray have always been the kings of power metal IMO.

Not wanting to pre-empt your top 50 in case you have other albums higher, but where should I start with Gamma Ray?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2012, 03:48:58 PM »

Yeah, this. Especially their recent output is far superior to Helloween's.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2012, 04:38:28 PM »
Heaven and Hell is top 5 overall for me
Though not Top 5, this album will be rated very high on my list.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Dont know Soilwork.  Remember that Bush disc in the mid 90's; had some decent tunes.  The one song that stool out to me was the opening track.  I think that was the Zen tune.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2012, 05:44:51 PM »
Gamma Ray have always been the kings of power metal IMO.

Not wanting to pre-empt your top 50 in case you have other albums higher, but where should I start with Gamma Ray?

Land of the Free 1 & 2, Powerplant, No World Order

Woah, dude, can't agree with you there.  7 Sinners is top Helloween material, To the Metal was a step down for Gamma Ray.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Dont know Soilwork.  Remember that Bush disc in the mid 90's; had some decent tunes.  The one song that stool out to me was the opening track.  I think that was the Zen tune.

Yep, you are right, Everything Zen, absolute killer track.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2012, 05:53:02 PM »

Aw but I loved that album  :( (but then again I think almost every FC album is great)

any way OT:

Nice pick on that Soilwork album, never was one of my favorites, but nice to see them getting some love here.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Sixteen Stone was the second cassette I ever bought (first being Tom Petty's Wildflowers), and although I still appreciate the album, it wouldn't make my top 50 these days.

Offline senecadawg2

Bush sounds promising, I will definitely check them out. Soilwork, on the other hand, doesn't sound like my cup of tea.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline contest_sanity

That first Bush album is boss!  You're right in that everyone snickered at them as knock-offs, but they really weren't.  I think grunge just flowered in England a little later than America.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2012, 12:54:55 AM »

Woah, dude, can't agree with you there.  7 Sinners is top Helloween material, To the Metal was a step down for Gamma Ray.

Right. I had totally forgotten about that album. :lolpalm:
Gamma Ray's output before that was pretty stellar, though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2012, 04:03:38 AM »

Right. I had totally forgotten about that album. :lolpalm:
Gamma Ray's output before that was pretty stellar, though.

Definitely.

That first Bush album is boss!  You're right in that everyone snickered at them as knock-offs, but they really weren't.  I think grunge just flowered in England a little later than America.

Great to see more love for that album.  I think you are right, they were a bit late so they were accused of being a rip off.  Really great band.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
48. Ozzy Osbourne - The Ultimate Sin (1986)

This is by far my favourite Ozzy album, yes you read that right.  Blizzard and Madman are obviously classic, but since hearing The Ultimate Sin many years ago, I was hooked.  Even Ozzy dislikes this album and I still don’t know why.  Every song has great melodies, excellent chorus’, great tempos and rhythm and probably also my fav guitar work on any of Ozzy’s albums.  Jake is absolutely on fire here, and some of the solos are catchier than the songs themselves. A perfect 80’s hard rock album which is just criminally underrated.  Love the production and overall atmosphere on the whole album too.

Best tracks: The Ultimate Sin, Secret Loser, Killer of Giants, Never Know Why, Shot in the Dark

Secret Loser:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMYjK7kjziY
Shot in the Dark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H11L1hrWEPc

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
The Ultimate Sin!

It was the first Ozzy album I bought, and I loved it right away. Great songs overall, and Jake E Lee does some impressive guitar work.

Glad to see some love for this one :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The Ultimate Sin!

It was the first Ozzy album I bought, and I loved it right away. Great songs overall, and Jake E Lee does some impressive guitar work.

Glad to see some love for this one :tup

Yeah man, I never understood why people regarded it as Ozzy's weakest.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: wolfking's official top 50 album thread v. Truly a sin
« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2012, 04:57:06 AM »
Perhaps because he moved into a more "hair metal" territory, buth musically and visually.

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2012, 04:58:18 AM »
Perhaps because he moved into a more "hair metal" territory, buth musically and visually.

Well damn... sounds like it's up my alley.  No More Tears is actually the only Ozzy solo disc I have.  Title track sucks, rest of it is pretty good.

Will check this one out.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2012, 05:06:48 AM »

Well damn... sounds like it's up my alley.  No More Tears is actually the only Ozzy solo disc I have.  Title track sucks, rest of it is pretty good.

Will check this one out.

The title tracks sucks?? Dude.

Anyway, check Ultimate Sin https://grooveshark.com/#!/album/The+Ultimate+Sin/191511

I think you would like it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2012, 05:11:06 AM »
47. Korn - Korn (1994)

Seeing Blind on pay music tv for the first time really quite shocked me.  The dark atmosphere, heavy ass guitars and depressed vocals hooked me immediately and this was one band that changed my life as a young kid.  Listening to Korn’s debut for the first time, I think it was about 3 years after its release.   It was quite a shocking experience, it was nothing I had ever heard before, and really, this was another band initially shaping my metal heart.  The darker tones, the low end guitars, Jon Davis’ depressing, stressful and obscene vocals and lyrics are very in your face and explicit and you can feel the pain and emotions the man portrays.  Great tight musicianship all round, raw sound and great catchy songs all the way through.  Daddy is very shocking, Faget is intense and the intro to Clown still makes me a little uncomfortable for some reason. Landmark album.

Best tracks: Blind, Ball Tongue, Clown, Divine, Predictable, Faget

Blind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGK00Q7xx-s
Divine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IetaaBPtS6I

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Two great albums that don't get nearly enough love.  :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wolf, surprised to see The Ultimate Sin on the list. I wouldn't say it's his weakest, but it's easily the weakest of the first 4.

Korn? that's not even music. I've seen them twice. Yuck! :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol