Author Topic: wolfking's official top 50 album thread v. Over and out  (Read 94123 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: wolfking's official top 50 album thread v. A crimson update
« Reply #385 on: August 07, 2012, 01:57:37 PM »
Hmmm... Wasp is cool, but I was never a fan of Swanö's work.

I was expecting King Crimson tbh, though.

I knew it would throw a few people off.  :tup

Or the album by Demons And Wizards, 'Touched By The Crimson King' :metal

Really good album.

Crimson Idol is a great album. Features in my top 50 too, did the write up a few nights ago. I was a fan from the Animal single (which I had on pic disc but swapped it at school for the Ratt Dancing Undercover album).

:tup You have been a fan since the year I was born.  :lol

Thanks for that young 'un. Feel old enough as it is  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #386 on: August 07, 2012, 03:35:43 PM »
I've heard many positive comments about Edge of Sanity, maybe I should give Crimson a try some day.

If you are into death metal, it's essential.

Hmmm... Wasp is cool, but I was never a fan of Swanö's work.

I was expecting King Crimson tbh, though.

I knew it would throw a few people off.  :tup

Or the album by Demons And Wizards, 'Touched By The Crimson King' :metal

Really good album.

Crimson Idol is a great album. Features in my top 50 too, did the write up a few nights ago. I was a fan from the Animal single (which I had on pic disc but swapped it at school for the Ratt Dancing Undercover album).

:tup You have been a fan since the year I was born.  :lol

Thanks for that young 'un. Feel old enough as it is  ;D

No worries brother!  Didn't mean to do that, just a piece of trivia I found interesting.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #387 on: August 08, 2012, 05:31:31 AM »
14. Mastodon - Leviathan (2004)

I only really brought this album because I simply wanted something new at the time. I was in a bit of a music rut and was bored with everything I was familiar with at the time.  I picked this up based on the hype of the album.  The slugginess and gruffness of the album took me by surprised as the sound was really quite original to me.  The vocals were rough, deep and the music itself was frantic, complex, and a bit messy.  It interested me enough to keep listening and I found myself absolutely hooked on this one.  I ended up keeping this cd on repeat and it stayed in my car for a very long time.  It was something fresh and new and opened up more options in my music tastes.  The song structures are amazing and I actually love how most songs don't contain solos.  The band rely on the structures and songwriting and the songs are written so well, they do not need anything else, every song is written and performed beautifully.  I love the overall heaviness of the record too and the production was suited perfectly to the music.  This is by far the best thing the band have done, and even know their new direction is mature which sees the band evolving, this style is still my favourite and IMO what the band did best.  Perfect modern heavy metal album.

Best tracks - Blood and Thunder, I Am Ahab, Seabeast, Iron Tusk, Megalodon, Naked Burn, Hearts Alive

Blood and Thunder - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=labytsb3gfI
Iron Tusk - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3HVLyI-t3E

13. Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness (2001)

I only discovered this a few years ago.  I had found Edge of Sanity's Crimson and was totally sold on the idea of the overly long song making the bulk of an album, the novelty sat with me well.  After searching and hearing the name Green Carnation mentioned around, I picked this album up without hesitation.  What I discovered was one of the most amazing, beautiful pieces of music art that I had ever heard.  This song runs for exactly 60 minutes and not one single minute of that is drawn out or over played.  Tchort and the band simply nailed this concept, and delivered one hell of an atmosphere.  You can tell by the track length that making the song last for exactly 60 minutes and 6 seconds was pretty much intentional, yet the band didn't force anything and nothing suffered because of that.  Amazing moody intro, great vocal sections in the first 15 minutes, and great room for more instrumental type sections in the next 15 minutes.  After that comes the woman basically having an orgasm with a flute.  Now, many debate about this section, but I love the wicked yet calm, yet very disturbing nature of it.  It makes you feel uneasy and for some reason, I like it and wouldnt remove it at all.  I'm not sure of the inspiration behind it, yet it's so twisted and out there I can't help but to love it.  Around the 40 minute mark comes an amazing solo played by Bjorn Harstad.  It's rough, slightly pitchy at times and definitely not technically proficient, but fits the song and is played with so much feeling and emotion, it's incredible.  From 45 minutes on we get some themes which we heard earlier, and the last 5 minutes is a great breakdown and ends the song in an epic and fitting nature.  I just love this whole thing, and really has been one of the greatest musical pieces I have listened to in the last few years, by far.  I will also add that the length is not a problem, it is so easy to sit through this whiole thing hooked without looking at the time remaining on the cd.  Check it out.

Best tracks - Light of Day, Day of Darkness

Light of Day, Day of Darkness - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWpwC1p-Ilw

Check my cover of the solo too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyPsLYQ63QQ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Words cannot express how much I love you for the inclusion of Green Carnation. I'm fairly indifferent towards Mastodon, though.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Great pick with Green Eggs and Ham. Your description was certainly more informative than mine. That reminds me, I think there's something I'm supposed to be doing...

Offline senecadawg2

I'm definitely going to have to check out Green Carnation once I get through my pile of unheard CD's
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Green Carnation sounds cool!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #392 on: August 08, 2012, 08:55:13 AM »

Yes!

I think that someone is trying to kill me!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Mladen

Leviathan is good. Not as epic and brilliant as Crack the skye or catchy as The Hunter, though. But of course the fans of really heavy stuff will love it, I don't necessarily love it but I'm still aware of its qualities.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Words cannot express how much I love you for the inclusion of Green Carnation. I'm fairly indifferent towards Mastodon, though.

Thanks.

Great pick with Green Eggs and Ham. Your description was certainly more informative than mine. That reminds me, I think there's something I'm supposed to be doing...

:lol Yeah, man been looking forward to the rest of yours.  I was happy when I saw it in your list too.

Green Carnation sounds cool!

They are amazing.

I'm definitely going to have to check out Green Carnation once I get through my pile of unheard CD's

DO IT.

Yes!

I think that someone is trying to kill me!

:metal

Leviathan is good. Not as epic and brilliant as Crack the skye or catchy as The Hunter, though. But of course the fans of really heavy stuff will love it, I don't necessarily love it but I'm still aware of its qualities.

Yeah, as I said, I know people prefer the last two, but for me, this is Mastodon at their best.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I tried Leviathan when it came out. I think I had a problem with the vocals, if I recall. That's a pretty high pick for you, Wolf.

I've seen Green Carnation pop up here a few times.I will have to check out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
12. Trivium - Ascendancy (2005)

Trivium have been one of my favourite more modern metal bands ever since this mighty album came out.  Their breed of powerful, classic heavy metal with a mix of fabulous metalcore and clean vocals really make them a powerful unit and still 'til this day, this is IMO, their best work.  Ascendancy is their second album and is filled of amazing, powerful songwriting.  The production of course by Jason Suecof is of course wonderful and the power of the musicianship shines through.  Mat simply has one of the best harsh vocal styles I have ever heard, and his cleans are very strong also.  The main strength behind this album is that even though it's heavy as hell, the songwriting is so melodic and sweet it's very, very easy to listen to, no matter how heavy it gets.  Every song is absolutely killer, and the whole album has an amazing consistency throughout with really no dips in quality.  Trivium have become a force to be reckoned with lots of experimentation and their latest release being excellent, and really looking forward to more albums from then in the future.  This album though is absolute magic.

Best tracks - Rain, Pull Harder of the Strings of Your Martyr,  Drowned and Torn Asunder, Like Light to Flies, The Deceived

Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9Nu3jrVhUs
Like Light to Flies - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CTBV3TGgW8

11. King Diamond - House of God (2000)

Here's one of the most blasphemous and disturbing albums you'll ever hear IMO.  The story tells of a traveller in France, led to a church by a wolf who turns into a beautiful women.  He falls in love with the women but finds that he must choose to sign a pact to set her free.  He does that and spirals into depression all alone in the church,.  He is eventually led into the catacombs of the church and this is where he discovers that God and Satan are merely puppets of a higher power.  In the catacombs he find Jesus Christ mummified and eyeless. He discovers the higher powers portayed Jesus' death on the cross as pure fiction.  Seeing this, the protagonist decides this is too much and cannot live knowing the truth and living under an unknown God and power.  He seals his fate and hangs himself at the top of the church. 

I first discovered King Diamond by accident.  i saw Megadeth live right when Glen Drover joined the band and was impressed by his style and performance, I looked him up and saw he played on this, not knowing much about King Diamond.  I picked it up and liked it but the vocals didn't click with me right away.  i put it away and it wasn't until Abigail that I realised the absolute magic of this band.  After getting into Abigail I went back to this album, and the whole thing just opened up to me.  This is IMO, King's best album.  Featuring killer songs, an amazing story, great guitar work and simply one of the most disturbing and powerful climaxes to any concept album ever.  This is how a concept album is done.  The way the songs are arranged with the performances and story is just absolute magic.  While it might not be the most polished realease from King, the rawness, honesty and simple approach just make this album absolutely mindblowing in every way.  Perfect concept album.

Best tracks - The Trees Have Eyes, House of God, The Pact, Just A Shadow, Catacomb, This Place is Terrible, Peace of Mind

The Trees Have Eyes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnnU3-qUOnY
Catacomb - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaWnJbb1CxE

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Trivium... always like the music, but you know me and the growls.  Only tried them because they were opening for DT, and dropped them right after that.

KD, never heard.

Looking forward to the top 10.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
You could try The Crusade, hardly any growls whatsoever, yet it's their weakest album.

Do stay tuned for my top 10 Chad, there will at least be a couple of picks you will approve of.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Ascendancy is good. Shogun is better.

As for KD, I have only heard Abigail thus far, but I think I'll check out House of God.

EDIT: Just found it on Spotify, listening right now.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
It's a different beast from Abigail, and it's a grower.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
I'm on The Pact right now, and so far I'm liking Abigail a fair lot more. Sure, it's not bad, but it's pretty standard KD fare.

Offline Mladen

Wow, interesting Kind Diamond album to put at number #11. Never listened to it, I've only heard a couple of his albums, but I've never seen this much appreciation for House of God. Really good to see an original choice like this, of course.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm on The Pact right now, and so far I'm liking Abigail a fair lot more. Sure, it's not bad, but it's pretty standard KD fare.

As I said, it's a grower and doesn't have the flair of Abigail.  make sure you listen to the album the whole way through.

Wow, interesting Kind Diamond album to put at number #11. Never listened to it, I've only heard a couple of his albums, but I've never seen this much appreciation for House of God. Really good to see an original choice like this, of course.

It deserves so much more appreciation, but really has been lost in the bulk of his material. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Will be entering the top 10 tomorrow!!

Offline senecadawg2

That Trivium album cover is really frightening.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I like House Of God. Vocally it is not as crazy as his earlier stuff but I still prefer The Puppet Master and GMYS..P.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Wouldn't even be interested in giving Trivium a chance.  Always thought Kings voice was cool, prefer Mercyful Fate over his solo work. 

Wolf, I bought the majority of those guitar albums you recommended me; love them all, thanks!!

Top 10 should be good.  Jugulator and X-Factor very soon!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 12:30:56 PM by jjrock88 »

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Wouldn't even be interested in giving Trivium a chance.

Out of curiosity, why not?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
You could try The Crusade, hardly any growls whatsoever, yet it's their weakest album.

Tried 'em all.  meh was all I could think.  Just not my cup of tea.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The Crusade is good but not as good as the last two Testament albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I like House Of God. Vocally it is not as crazy as his earlier stuff but I still prefer The Puppet Master and GMYS..P.

Love both those albums.  :metal

Wouldn't even be interested in giving Trivium a chance.  Always thought Kings voice was cool, prefer Mercyful Fate over his solo work. 

Wolf, I bought the majority of those guitar albums you recommended me; love them all, thanks!!

Top 10 should be good.  Jugulator and X-Factor very soon!

No worries mate, glad I could help you out.

Tried 'em all.  meh was all I could think.  Just not my cup of tea.

No worries, Crusade is quite weak anyway.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
10. Allen/Lande - The Battle (2005)

The debut of the melodic rock project featuring Jorn Lande, Russell Allen and Magnus Karlsson.  This is AOR/melodic rock at its absolute finest, and after discovering the album back in 2005 on its release, the beauty and majesty of this record still floors me.  This sees Jorn and Rus out of the ordinary but Karlsson pins twelve absolute glorious tracks for the boys and really it suits them like a glove.  This is Karlssons finest hour and while everything else he has done has been stellar, this is simply something special.  Amazing production, stellar vocals, catchy as hell choruses, and spectacular guitar solos are what this record are made of.  The songwriting from Karlsson here shows why he is one of the best guitarists and songwriters in the melodic rock game that the world has seen for some time.  Every track just flows and is filled with pure beauty.  I am absolutely in love with this record still and it really deserves a place in my top 10.  Anyone not interested in this genre should still give this a chance, as this is perfect music.

Best tracks - Hunter's Night, Wish For A Miracle, Truth About Our Time, My Own Way Home,  Ask You Anyway, Silent Rage, Universe of Light

Hunter's Night - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi5oI1F5WfA
My Own Way Home - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFeLtB4u8Rg

Only one album update tonight, but will continue again tomorrow.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I need to listen to this.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
I listened to this album a while back. Both Allen and Lande are great but the music was a little meh for me.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Awesome great disc

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Great way to start the top 10!!!  Thia is my favorite of the trilogy by far. I'd classify it as Melodic Metal though. Those riffs are :2metal:

Yes. Do it nao!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I have not been able to get into Allen/ Lande. They are both great vocalists but I have trouble connecting with them. It is one of the reasons I also have trouble getting into Sym X.

Offline Lowdz

Very good album. Good to hear Sir Russell singing bigger melodies. Karlsson brings out the best in these two, better than their day jobs do.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Yes you do.

Awesome great disc

:tup

Great way to start the top 10!!!  Thia is my favorite of the trilogy by far. I'd classify it as Melodic Metal though. Those riffs are :2metal:

Yes. Do it nao!!

Yep, you're right, fixed.

Very good album. Good to hear Sir Russell singing bigger melodies. Karlsson brings out the best in these two, better than their day jobs do.

I agree with this.