Author Topic: wolfking's official top 50 album thread v. Over and out  (Read 93349 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Paralells would probably be top 25 as well, definately top 50.

:tup
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
20. Savatage - Streets (1991)

Here is the definition of a perfect rock opera.  Streets follows the rise and fall of a fallen rock star DT Jesus, what he has learnt in his life, and how he climbs back from the gutter on more than one occasion.  After the amazing Gutter Ballet, Savtage steered away even more from their metal roots to produce a very pompous, melodic, and even broadway style concept at times, and the gamble paid off again.  This is a perfectly put together album, lots of variety, which follows and reflects the story really well.  Less heavier numbers this time but some of the most amazing ballads you will ever hear in your life.  Criss' amazing guitar solos are still here and Jon is a raspy as ever.  The mood of this album portrays the rise and falls of the main character perfectly, with songs really uplifting and then drowning in sorrow the next.  The emotion also put into this album from everyone involved also makes it special.  A perfect rock opera and concept, and all round amazing, deep, mature and memorable music.  Criminally underrated.

Best tracks - Streets, Jesus Saves, Tonight He Grins Again, Sammy and Tex, Can You Hear Me Now, Ghost in the Ruins, If I Go Away, Believe

Streets - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGrlekZzogU
Believe - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGn8_g_fG1g

19. Last Tribe - Witch Dance (2002)

The second album from Magnus Karlsson's first real project here in my top 50.  Like The Uncrowned, I have great memories with this album for nostalgia reasons.  It just was discovered around the same time I met my current girlfriend, so everytime I listen to it, I have great memories, probably helping its ranking.  Like the Uncrowned though, this is melodic power metal at its finest.  Perfect songwriting, strong vocals, amazing, long guitar solos and excellent production.  Every song here is a winner and just has so much crunch and power.  It also drips in atmosphere as the whole sound of the record is incredible.  It has small splashes of prog influence in the songs also which gives it an extra flair also.  One of the most underrated bands in the genre, anyone interested in power metal should check this band out, this album is incredible and it still has never gotten old.

Best tracks - Messenger, Bring Out the Brave, Wash Your Sins Away, Wake Up the World, Dreamer

Wash Your Sins Away - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-ykegiBnO8
Wake Up the World - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TplNfOrbzmU

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Savatage ... still haven't found a groove with them yet.  Will be giving both Streets and GB another shot though.

Witch Dance... thanks to you already I had a few go spins with this already.   :hefdaddy  Great disc.  Loving it long time.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Savatage  :metal

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm giving the Savatage album a first spin now.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
As I stated before, Streets is in my 'Tage holy trinity.  jingle - go fix that problem.  You not into Savatage just doesn't seem right.  Should be right up your alley.

Offline senecadawg2

Savatage... I don't dislike it at all, but it definitely hasn't clicked yet for me.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Give the Savatage album "Hall of the Mountain King" a try.    Some people like that side of the band more. 

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
Give the Savatage album "Hall of the Mountain King" a try.    Some people like that side of the band more.

:tup 
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Lowdz

Streets is a great album. Shame it wasn't released as the double album it was meant to be. Hard to choose between this and GB as their best.

Not played Witch Dance in years. Need to dig it out of the attic where my cds live.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Streets is a great album. Hard to choose between this and GB as their best.

This exactly! And I cut the stuff about the double album, because I didn't it was meant to be one.
Nice pick with Streets for sure, though I haven't heard of Last Tribe.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Yeah, Images and words. Not a lot of top 50s on this board missed that album.  :smiley:

it has been included in 58.1% of the lists thus far (including those that are ongoing at the moment)

Interesting, but I thought it would have been higher myself.

that is the highest appearance percentage among all albums.  The next highest is Blackwater Park at 45%.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni

After the first listen I can say that I found it very enjoyable. A few songs stood out, like "Streets", "A Little Too Far", "You're Alive", and "Ghost In The Ruins". I'll be sure to check out Gutter Ballet as well.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
As I stated before, Streets is in my 'Tage holy trinity.  jingle - go fix that problem.  You not into Savatage just doesn't seem right.  Should be right up your alley.

You'd think so, right?  I've tried a few albums and only been mildly impressed.  I love TSO, so I'm like "wtf?" with myself.  :lol

Ok, gonna go spin Hall right now.  Not sure I have time to listen to Streets completely right now, so I'll do that one later.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni

You'd think so, right?  I've tried a few albums and only been mildly impressed.  I love TSO, so I'm like "wtf?" with myself.  :lol

Ok, gonna go spin Hall right now.  Not sure I have time to listen to Streets completely right now, so I'll do that one later.

It's different from the more orchestrated stuff they did later.  It's a darker album.

Best tracks:

24 Hours Ago
Beyond The Doors of the Dark
Prelude to Madness/Hall of the Mountain King
Legions

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
There's just something incomplete about Hall Of The Mountain King. The music just feels empty.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
It's a very stark album.   Some of the guitar work on it is stellar.  I guess I have a soft spot for it because it was the first Savatage album I ever bought.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
There's just something incomplete about Hall Of The Mountain King. The music just feels empty.

See I grew up on the old 'Tage sound...when they were more power metal

Power of the Night was the first cassette I owned by them   Loved the earlier albums up too Hall

The more orchestrated albums is when the started to lose me and once Jon gave up the vocals they just never clicked with me
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Hall of the Mountain King is a killer disc, but  I think the change in style was what they needed.  Power of the Night is still good and Sirens and Dungeon are pretty good metal too.  Fight for the Rock is IMO, the only real Savatage album that would be conisered below par.

I do enjoy Mountain King though, Criss has some amazing guitar work on that.  Strange Wings is nice too with the late Ray Gillen on backing vocals.  I think the only real problem with the album is that is dips in quality towards the end.  That's what I always thought anyway.

I can understand why it wouldn't click with you.  Savatage are an aquired taste IMO, they need time to grow.  If you like TSO, I'd actually say try and back track a bit.  If you like Zak Stevens, check Wake of Magellan and Dead Winter Dead.  Dead Winter Dead was the birth of the idea that is TSO.  Handful of Rain and Edge of Thorns are essential too.  Hell, everything from this band is essential IMO.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Streets is a great album. Shame it wasn't released as the double album it was meant to be. Hard to choose between this and GB as their best.

Not played Witch Dance in years. Need to dig it out of the attic where my cds live.

I have always been intrigued with what the 2cd version would have sounded like.  It probably would have told the story a bit better IMO and give you more insight to the concept. 

I'm excited you know Last Tribe, so underrated.  Get it out, great power metal.

After the first listen I can say that I found it very enjoyable. A few songs stood out, like "Streets", "A Little Too Far", "You're Alive", and "Ghost In The Ruins". I'll be sure to check out Gutter Ballet as well.

Keep listening mate, I think you'll like it even more.  Good to see I'm bringing some new music to some of you guys.  :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Listened to Hall and Streets yesterday.  Nothing wrong with them, and I liked it plenty... just wasn't wow'd the way I am by some music.  I'll keep at it though.  Took a long time before Redemption clicked with me, so I know not everything is love at first listen.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Listened to Hall and Streets yesterday.  Nothing wrong with them, and I liked it plenty... just wasn't wow'd the way I am by some music.  I'll keep at it though.  Took a long time before Redemption clicked with me, so I know not everything is love at first listen.

Yeah, not an easily accesible band.  Keep at it, and try the later albums like I said.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Apologies everyone, I got held up at work late tonight, so I'll update tomorrow.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Apologies everyone, I got held up at work late tonight, so I'll update tomorrow.
No problem. You've given us plenty to chew on while we wait!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
Hall of the Mountain King is a killer disc, but  I think the change in style was what they needed.  Power of the Night is still good and Sirens and Dungeon are pretty good metal too.  Fight for the Rock is IMO, the only real Savatage album that would be conisered below par.

I do enjoy Mountain King though, Criss has some amazing guitar work on that.  Strange Wings is nice too with the late Ray Gillen on backing vocals.  I think the only real problem with the album is that is dips in quality towards the end.  That's what I always thought anyway.

I totally agree

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni

If you like stuff that's more orchestrated, with big huge production, give "The Wake of Magellan" a try. 

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Wow! I've really missed a lot in my absence.

I won't talk about all albums, but they are really good choices that you made.  :tup
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Lowdz

I have always been intrigued with what the 2cd version would have sounded like.  It probably would have told the story a bit better IMO and give you more insight to the concept. 

I'm excited you know Last Tribe, so underrated.  Get it out, great power metal.

Keep listening mate, I think you'll like it even more.  Good to see I'm bringing some new music to some of you guys.  :tup

Dug out Witch Dance and The Uncrowned and ripped them to the iphone. Both good albums. I've got so much stuff in the attic that never gets played. Need a lottery win and a new house.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
18. King Diamond - Abigail (1987)

Kind Diamond are a very special band for me.  About 7 years ago, I was looking for something new and unique in my music.  I was into guitar solos and wanted lots of them.  I then discovered this album.  This album and band in particular opened themselves up to me and helped me through a really hard time in my life, this was an escape and King's visions, philosophies and beliefs helped me through at the time.  This is simply one of the greatest and most underrated metal albums of all time.  With a lineup featuring Kim, Andy, Michael Denner, Timi Hansen and Mikkey Dee, the musicianship on this album and in the bands whole early days is incredible.  Killer vocals from King, great melodies, some complex prog type stuff, great rhythms and simply some of the greatest guitar solos ever recorded, and all round great songs and a chilling story.  This album has everything you would look for in heavy metal, and the band til this day are underrated as hell.  All hail the King!

Best songs - Arrival, Mansion in Darkness, Family Ghost, The 7th Day of July 1777, Omens, Abigail, Black Horsemen

Arrival - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzNyr2qPNjU
Omens - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR4-ah5f14Q

17. Judas Priest - Painkiller (1990)

Simply one of the most important albums in heavy metal history.  My guitar teacher first gave me Painkiller that he taped for me to listen too when I was about 12.  I had never heard such music before, it was incredible.  I knew nothing about the band except what I was hearing and I was convinced there were two vocalists in the band.  Rob's vocals here are so diverse in character and range and it's simply some of the greatest and most powerful vocals ever recorded.  Scott Travis entered the band and took the band to new heights and allowed the band to do things they have never been able to do before.  Killer production, loud, powerful, thunderous, and seriously perfect guitar solos and some of the hardest if not the most intricate and difficult solos Glenn and Ken have ever produced.  This album is one of a kind, and is an essential part of everyone's heavy metal cd collection.

Best tracks - Painkiller, All Guns Blazing, Night Crawler, Between the Hammer and the Anvil, Touch of Evil, One Shot at Glory

Painkiller - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM__lPTWThU
Touch of Evil - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gQH1IEMf4Q

Also, check out my cover of All Guns Blazing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUTGzqeFrrY

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: wolfking's official top 50 album thread v. Heavy metal classics!!!!
« Reply #344 on: August 03, 2012, 06:51:04 PM »
Painkiller is the definition of heavy metal in the dictionary. When KK left the band they should've hired you, Kade!

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #345 on: August 03, 2012, 10:36:55 PM »
Amazing update! Great cover too!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: August 03, 2012, 10:53:07 PM »
Painkiller is amazing
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #347 on: August 03, 2012, 11:01:38 PM »
Painkiller! :tup

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: August 04, 2012, 02:07:47 AM »
Painkiller! :metal

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #349 on: August 04, 2012, 02:43:19 AM »
Fuck yes Abigail and Painkiller! Both are on my list.  :metal :metal
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!