Author Topic: wolfking's official top 50 album thread v. Over and out  (Read 93394 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: wolfking's official top 50 album thread v. Ballets and Rabbits!!
« Reply #280 on: July 30, 2012, 05:36:32 AM »
Sorry for the lack of updates guys, work is absolutely kicking my ass lately.

25. Gamma Ray - No World Order (2001)

This album is simply heavy metal heaven.  This is by far my favourite Gamma Ray album and simply one of the most consistent, catchy, powerful and well performed heavy metal cd's I've ever heard.  This is perfect Gamma Ray as they successfully mesh their power metal early days roots and a newer more direct Judas Preist like heavy metal, producing powerful, hard hitting, melodic songs.  A loose concept album on the illuminati, the lyrics are cheesy as ever making this an even better power metal release.  Great rhythm section, Kai is in top form, and both Kai and Henjo shred their asses off with well fitting and never over indulgent solos.  Killer songs from start to finish and perfect prodution to boot it off.  While some of these songs wear their influences on their sleeves, Gamma Ray make no exception and produce a simply amazing heavy metal album.

Best tracks - Dethrone Tyranny, Heart of the Unicorn, Heaven or Hell, No World Order, Fire Below, Eagle

Heart of the Unicorn - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO7PDWtmXfg
Heaven or Hell - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqzsK22tOwU

24. Bruce Dickinson - Accident of Bith (1997)

Bruce Dickinson's solo career was taking some twists and turns.  He had his poppy debut, than the darker more straightforward Balls to Picasso with Roy Z, then he tried to disguise himself in a more grunge like Skunkworks.  This album brings former Maiden slinger Adrian Smith and the return of Roy Z.  With Dave Ingraham on drums and Eddie Casillas on bass this was sure to be a monster, and that it was.  At this point, this was by far the heaviest thing Bruce had ever done, and also some of Adrian's best guitar work to date.  This is a terrific heavy metal album that must have had Steve Harris running for cover.  Great songs, thunderous heavy metal, killer solos and classic Maiden like harmonies and of course Bruce sounding the best he has sounded since the golden years.  Lots of variety too but IMO no filler to be seen.  This also contains some of Bruce's best ballads to date.  This cd is absolute perfection and just leaves you wanting more and more.  Any Maiden fan that hasn't heard this, you are doing yourself an injustice.  Pick up the remastered 2cd which has some cool demos and the amazing Ghost of Cain.

Best tracks - Freak, Darkside of Aquarius, Road to Hell, Man of Sorrows, Accident of Birth, Omega, Ghost of Cain (bonus track)

Darkside of Aquarius - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtiR35EOm7A
Accident of Birth - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gynGahcm6d0
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #281 on: July 30, 2012, 05:38:09 AM »
Oh yeah, two awesome albums!

I get the feeling that many consider The Chemical Wedding to be Bruce's best album, but I actually prefer Accident Of Birth :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #282 on: July 30, 2012, 05:41:27 AM »
Oh yeah, two awesome albums!

I get the feeling that many consider The Chemical Wedding to be Bruce's best album, but I actually prefer Accident Of Birth :metal
Same here..

Accident At Birth is great. Love No World Order as well.

As far as the previous update, Rabbit is OK, but I cannot get into Savatage. I always felt like the vision and aspirations, which were commendable, were always let down by their performance and execution.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: wolfking's official top 50 album thread v. The top 25 has begun!!
« Reply #283 on: July 30, 2012, 06:22:23 AM »
Nice Gamma Ray album. I love Heart of the unicorn  :heart
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: July 30, 2012, 06:25:00 AM »

That's my favourite song on the album.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #285 on: July 30, 2012, 06:27:36 AM »
This album is simply heavy metal heaven.  This is by far my favourite Gamma Ray album and simply one of the most consistent, catchy, powerful and well performed heavy metal cd's I've ever heard.  This is perfect Gamma Ray as they successfully mesh their power metal early days roots and a newer more direct Judas Preist like heavy metal, producing powerful, hard hitting, melodic songs. 
Couldn't have said it better myself.  :tup

Oh, and Accident of birth is pretty awesome as well.  :metal

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: July 30, 2012, 06:35:10 AM »

o/

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: July 30, 2012, 06:53:14 AM »
*\o

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #288 on: July 30, 2012, 07:54:54 AM »
Bruces solo career is great! Only got Land of the Free from gamma ray, tbh I didn't find it that captivating, but I'll check out that album.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #289 on: July 30, 2012, 08:16:16 AM »
Accident of Birth  :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: July 30, 2012, 08:28:12 AM »
I enjoy Accident of Birth over CW too; but both kick major ass.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #291 on: July 30, 2012, 08:44:02 AM »
Have only sampled the Gamma Ray on YT so far but it's good, up there wit the LOTFs. My only concern is everything is a bit upbeat and hymn-like. I remember when Power Metal was darker, like a tuneful thrash. Where did these major keys come from?

The only Bruce solo I liked was BTP. Listened to this and CW and didn't find anything I liked at the time (anyone remember the record library to sample music before buying? lol). Didn't give it a huge chance I suppose. May try again.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: July 30, 2012, 12:57:01 PM »
Give them another chance Lowdz!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #294 on: July 30, 2012, 02:29:40 PM »
Give them another chance Lowdz!

YES, Check this one out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHF995g0Bm8

That track is pretty spectacular, have to say. Checking the others out now.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: July 31, 2012, 04:23:44 AM »

BEST GAMMA RAY SONG!!!  :metal

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: July 31, 2012, 04:43:20 AM »

BEST GAMMA RAY SONG!!!  :metal

Perhaps. Definitely a Top 5 though for me. Condemned To Hell and Majesty are up there too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: July 31, 2012, 05:16:50 AM »
23. Dream Theater - Images and Words (1992)

Not much to say here, we all know it and love it and it's simply one of the best prog albums ever.  A friend in school back when I was in 7th grade brought a tape which had A Change of Seasons on it.  It blew my mind, and we all sat listening to it, even the teacher listened in awe and liked what he heard.  About a day later I went to the cd shop to look for a Dream Theater cd, and Images and Words was all they had.  I picked it up and had never heard music quite like it before.  Lots of great memories discovering this band with this cd, and still one of the freshest prog albums to date.  I don't think I need to post best songs or links for this one.

22. Yngwie Malmsteen - Alchemy (1999)

Yet another pick that many wouldn't expect from this artist.  Discovering Yngwie Malmsteen was somewhat of a revelation to me, I loved his style and he is still one of my top 3 guitarists of all time, probably even number 1.  Malmsteen had good success with his albums in the 80's and still kept going strong in the 90's.  But in 1999 came an album that was totally different than anything he has ever done, and IMO it paid off.  This album sees the return of the incredible Mark Boals and boy, this is probably his best performance ever.  The thing that makes Alchemy so different is every song is a ball buster.  Not much acoustic stuff (besides a stint in the final trilogy) and no ballads whatsoever, just shred all the way through.  It's dark, heavy, fast and seriously just melts my face off everytime I hear it.  This is Malmsteen at his peak IMO, an album that is one of a kind and he will never replicate again.  A perfect mix of metal and shred, with seriously some of the greatest vocal performances ever put on tape.  Check Leonardo.

Best tracks - Leonardo, Playing with Fire, Stand, Wield my Sword, Blue, Voodoo Nights

Leonardo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1KIEkDxx9s
Wield My Sword - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK1snO5mW28

21. Fates Warning - Parallels (1991)

Another prog masterpiece.  This was my first album from Fates Warning and it still remains my fav to this day, it's a very special album.  This album saw the complexity of their earlier music step aside for a more direct, somewhat commercial approach which was based more on songwriting.  This album has such an incredible sound and atmosphere that drew me in straight away and kept me hooked for literally years.  Great lyrics, great solos from the underrated Frank Aresti, Bones and Mark have a tight rhythm section that just breathes so damn much, and of course Ray sounds great.  This also saw the movement of style cater well for Ray and his voice which has obviously changed over the years.  One of the things I love most is the production from Terry Brown and the use of more clean piezo style guitar sounds, it gives the record a warm and dreamy sound mixed with a really nice distortion over the top.  perfect record, perfect songs, prog fans should know this one inside out. (no pun intended)

Best tracks - Leave the Past Behind, Life in Still Water, Don't Follow Me, The Eleventh Hour, Eye to Eye

Leave the Past Behind - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwSft8zNaS0
Life in Still Water - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgPWvjt-0oA

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
hhhmmmm... Didn't know Brown produced Parallels.  I never could appreciate FW (I know, I know... give it another try), as Ray's voice is something that doesn't jive well with me.  Even with Redemption, I find his vocals are just 'good enough'.  Give me Jorn, Wilson, Allen or Cooper any day of the week.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
I&W made my top ten.  :tup

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
It's in my Top 5 :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
It's my #1.  Ha!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I & W is top five for me.  Parallels would be probably top 25.  Big Yngwie fan, but not familiar with that disc.  I have the first four, a best of, and the Ripper discs.

Offline Mladen

Yeah, Images and words. Not a lot of top 50s on this board missed that album.  :smiley:

Offline Lowdz

I was a big Yngwie fan but this album was the beginning of the end for me. Poor songs- just Yngwie being a caricature of Yngwie. to each their own though. Nowhere near as bad as The War To End All Wars though.

The FW I have on my list to check out. The samples I've heard sound good.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
I&W is my #1, Paralells would probably be top 25 as well, definately top 50.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
hhhmmmm... Didn't know Brown produced Parallels.  I never could appreciate FW (I know, I know... give it another try), as Ray's voice is something that doesn't jive well with me.  Even with Redemption, I find his vocals are just 'good enough'.  Give me Jorn, Wilson, Allen or Cooper any day of the week.

Give this one a spin again, it's a terrific album.  FW are definitely an aquired taste though, and they need time to grow.

I & W is top five for me.  Parallels would be probably top 25.  Big Yngwie fan, but not familiar with that disc.  I have the first four, a best of, and the Ripper discs.

Try Alchemy, you'd enjoy it.

I was a big Yngwie fan but this album was the beginning of the end for me. Poor songs- just Yngwie being a caricature of Yngwie. to each their own though. Nowhere near as bad as The War To End All Wars though.

The FW I have on my list to check out. The samples I've heard sound good.

I don't understand the dislike for the album, I guess as a young guitar player this one just struck a chord with me that a lot of other fans didn't really get.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I&W made my top ten.  :tup

It's in my Top 5 :tup

It's my #1.  Ha!

I tried to put it higher but really, when I come up with my list, it's where it placed, I feel a little bad for it and I probably should have had it in my top 20, but bah, it is what it is.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
To each their own.  No judgement here, I was just trying to top Nek and Zy!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
It will be on my list, but where?!?!?!?! Stay tuned.....

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Yeah, Images and words. Not a lot of top 50s on this board missed that album.  :smiley:

it has been included in 58.1% of the lists thus far (including those that are ongoing at the moment)
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Mladen

Wow, that's interesting. And those 41.9 % call themselves Dream Theater fans?  ;)  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

it has been included in 58.1% of the lists thus far (including those that are ongoing at the moment)

Interesting, but I thought it would have been higher myself.

Wow, that's interesting. And those 41.9 % call themselves Dream Theater fans?  ;)  ;D

I think anyone without I&W on their list should be banned immediately.  :P

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
To each their own.  No judgement here, I was just trying to top Nek and Zy!

You certainly did that bro!  :tup